[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a program that can erase your hard drive if you do not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1460867517402.png (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1460867517402.png
19 KB, 400x400
Is there a program that can erase your hard drive if you do not re-enter password or something in like ~3 days?

I am asking because I would not want my parents to find out my files, be it be searching my stuff after my (eventual) death or the authorities breaking my password and informing my parents what they have found.
>>
>>28564027
Write your own. You're not asking for anything particularly complicated.
>>
>>28564027
Deleting a hard drive takes hours, you can use encryption though and delete / throw away the key in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>28564115
>>28564048

Mhm, but what I want is a program that will automatically delete all my stuff, if I, for whatever reason do not enter the correct password to prevent the deletion in ~3 days for example.
>>
>>28564165
Yes, so write your own. What's the problem?
>>
>>28564187
I never wrote any program or did anything programming related.
>>
>>28564165
That is not feasible, people can just take your hard drive and copy it without your machine or your program running in any way.
With encryption you can have your key on a physical device like an USB stick and dispose of it if you want to make your data inaccessible.
>>
>>28564222
trips of good advice I guess.
>>
>>28564217

Neither did anyone else before they started learning how to. Why should other people do the work but not you?
>>
Just make an encrypted container to put all your naughty stuff in.

I have my whole 4chan folder in a container. I have to type a password in order to access it every time I turn the computer on/restart.
>>
it's called LUKS
if you're paranoid, use a 20 character password with rare symbols
data will be protected until the technological singularity arrives
>>
>>28564349
literally noone cares enough about you for this to become a thing
>>
>>28564537
Rare symbols are a meme, just use a legible and easily remberabe passphrase which is long.
To be paranoid you have to use two factor authentification (aforementioned USB stick and a password).
In case you are interogated you can destroy the USB stick and have a plausible way out. In case you die and somebody recovers the USB stick they don't have the password.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.