[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
le smart but lazy maymay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: tomorrowdate.jpg (38 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
tomorrowdate.jpg
38 KB, 694x801
Is there an official/psychological term for desperately wanting to learn something (like drawing or physics), thinking it's interesting, yet not being able to concentrate on learning? I mean aside from procrastinating and laziness etc. This shit is really killing me.
>>
ADHD
>>
>>28540625
it's called discipline
get gud
>>
>>28540625
ADHD
Depressions
AIDS
PTSD
Dementia
Anxiety
Bipolar
Mania
Brain damage
Lack of sleep
Shit diet
No exercise
>>
>>28540625
It's called being stupid, so stupid infact that instead of facing facts and moving on, they continue to delude themselves that
> "something is just not right for me to learn this now, I'm distracted by something"
When infact, they will never learn it.
>>
>>28540980
This OP. I'm a lazy fuck too, but make goals and go for them. You might fail at first, but eventually they'll start to stick.
>>
>>28541020
>shit diet

this meme again

I ate nothing but a varied diet of lean meat, veggies, nuts, and seeds and it did not improve my motivation whatsoever
>>
>>28541094
>I ate nothing but a varied diet of lean meat, veggies, nuts, and seeds and it did not improve my motivation whatsoever
Well then maybe you have brain damage
Just because it's a possible reason doesn't meant it has to affect you
>>
>>28540625
there are different kinds of intelligence. some people are apparently "smart" yet too scatterbrained to focus on a skill and learn it and become competent. you have to try something else if you can't just power through it and focus.
>>
File: fall.gif (2 MB, 277x342) Image search: [Google]
fall.gif
2 MB, 277x342
>>28540980
>>28541036
It's not 100% laziness. When I was in high school, I was really fucking lazy. I hated doing my homework but I did it often because I knew it had to be done. But it wasn't THIS bad.

Nowadays, even when it comes to shit I used to love like reading fantasy books and manga, playing vidya, and watching movies, I just can't do it. I have to force myself to read and sometimes it feels like torture to do so. I can't retain any information either. Funny thing is, if it's a good story I'll enjoy it but it still feels like torture.

It literally can't be just laziness. Sure, laziness is part of it, but it's only like half.
>>
lollibump
>>
>>28540625

Depression

Duh fag
>>
>>28540625
If you can't concentrate on anything that means you're a retard. Success is the best indicator of intelligence.
>>
>>28542441
I don't feel too bad tbqhonestly fagm. What do?
>>
>>28540625
Saying you're "smart but lazy" is like saying you'd be in shape if you worked out.
>>
>>28542834

Depression isn't necessarily feeling sad. It's feeling empty and having no motivation to do anything.
>>
>>28543215
I guess that sounds close. How do I get my drive back?
>>
>>28543305

Find what's causing your depression and fix it. Meds won't magically fix you either, they just make it easier to start working on shy.
>>
>>28542456
> Success is the best indicator of intelligence
ahah! Awrite m8!
>>
>>28543349
I've been trying to find my "reason" for feeling like nothing matters, for a long time. It's not happening. Maybe if I gain a useful skill, I'll be happier? Maybe I should just bulldoze through books even if it causes me headaches? I don't know what to do, everything is fucked.
>>
>>28543158
I'm not saying that. It was a joke title.

Ya bitch.
>>
>>28541545
that's textbook depression
>>
>>28543753
But according to many memesters here depression doesnt exist?
>>
>>28542456
Exactly! Look at how intelligent the Kardashians and Paris Hilton are! I mean, they are much more intelligent than Donald Knuth and Edsger Dijkstra together.
>>
>>28543753
I don't fucking have a real reason to be depressed what the fuck dude.
>>
>>28543827
Idk it doesnt seem like a meme to me, days seem dark I know my mind wants to continue feeling bad for itself finding excuses and in turn that drains your energy its that simple. Sometimes we are even overstimulated. Try meditation anon
>>
>>28540625
yes it's called "doing it wrong"

you practice drawing so you can have more fun drawing. the first step you have to do is, DRAW
>>
>>28543920
Well, what is success by that logic?
Having a lot of money? Being liked?
>>
I have been diagnosed with ADHD
There's nothing pills can do for you, you have to apply yourself harder than most and you may not be as good as someone who puts in the same time and effort. You could just be a lazy piece of shit though.
>>
>>28540625
Poor study habits/lack of discipline. So basically sitting down and actually working on something is not part of your daily routine.

>>28541545
Well, what do you do all day? Internet addiction is also a thing.
>>
>>28541545
I feel that feel with ya anon. All these things I want to do but no motivation to get started. On the occasions when I do start I can't maintain my concentration on the subject and usually end up coming back to 4chan. Most of the time I don't even want to do anything but sit on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

>>28544037
>Internet addiction
I think that's a big part of it.
>>
>>28540625

You're not that smart, I'm a teacher and smart kids who don't give a fuck and don't do shit still get great grades
>>
>>28544037
>Well, what do you do all day? Internet addiction is also a thing.
Well I don't know if I'm addicted to the internet, but I am on the computer (or phone/handheld) all day unless I'm sleeping. I study programming, and aside from college I mostly watching dumb videos on YouTube or browse 4chan. I do some other things here and there, but 90% of my waking day is spent on the internet either doing that dumb stuff, or pretending to work on college shit.
>>
>>28544201
I never said I was smart. Just unmotivated.
>>
>>28544201
you're a shitty teacher if you don't realise that "smart" kids put more effort whether they know it or not
>>
Intelligence is probably measured by ones ability to memorize, the longer one can remember the smarter they are because intelligence is just a collection of knowledge.
>>
>>28544123
>All these things I want to do but no motivation to get started.
Dude it's insane. So many dreams, and so many things I want to be good at, but no desire strong enough. I have friends who are obsessed with their hobbies and things they want, but it doesn't work that way with me anymore. I wish I was still a kid with no stress, who did that stuff whenever he wanted to.

>On the occasions when I do start I can't maintain my concentration on the subject and usually end up coming back to 4chan.
Or all the other sites. Even when I don't, I still can't keep my focus on the fucking book.

>Most of the time I don't even want to do anything but sit on my bed and stare at the ceiling.
Exactly. Just rest. Not that I'm tired, but I'd just like for my head to shut up and let my worries seep out, and my powers to awaken. Or some autistic shit like that.
>>
>>28544417
if it's a creative hobby then of course you'll hate practicing, it's the actual creative part that's fun

just DO something
go out a shoot a film, don't try to force yourself to read a 300 page book on cinematography
write a short story, don't study grammar
draw a landscape, don't practice figure drawing
play a groovy bass riff, don't practice scales with a metronome

people who are obsessed with something are in a state of flow, they're not having an easy or hard time, but something inbetween that is a combination of play and challenge

so try finding something nice and simple to get inspired by and JUST DO IT
>>
>>28544361

I'd say intelligence is more the ability to see how multiple concepts work in tandem
>>
>>28544417
I wish I had a solution.
>>
>>28540625
I think it depends why you can't concentrate. Are you easily distracted? Is it possible you have ADHD in that case? Or maybe you have depression, which also can mess up with your concentrating ability. For me, I'm having very hard time to start things and have them going, but if I don't stop and don't get distracted for some time, it becomes really easy for me to concentrate. I suggest you try to get rid of as many distractions as much as possible and force yourself to continue learning until you see that it works.
>>
>>28543975
Not him but since you seem to be too dense to understand: being intelligent =/= succesful and vice versa
>>
File: 1463000157765.jpg (101 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1463000157765.jpg
101 KB, 640x960
>>28540625
> desperately wanting to learn something, thinking it's interesting, yet not being able to concentrate on learning?

Being a Rockstar vs learning the piano.

Being in love with that idea of being godlike at some craft is not the same as training painfully for thousand of hours.

Think about it and decide which one it is.

On a positive note: it seems that our ability to focus, despite being natually low for most of us, can be trained by repetition.
So study until you lose concentration. If it's 5 minutes, fine, go do something else, then come back and do 5 other minutes.
Then try to make it lasts more than 5 minutes.
After some months, you'll see that you're now working for half an hour, and your "breaks" are now lasting only a few minutes.
If all goes well, in a few years you'll be able to study for 5 hours without a break. It may seem impossible but it's far from unusual for good students (at least from what I've observed at the university).

Also, the method is important.
If you want to learn something which is more about rote memory (facts) than about understanding complex ideas (like physics), I would heavily suggest using Memrise or some similar website.
It will make learning by rote less of a chore and more of a game.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.