[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has Japan ever had anything similar to the Salem Witch Trials,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1456963379820.png (291 KB, 750x366) Image search: [Google]
1456963379820.png
291 KB, 750x366
Has Japan ever had anything similar to the Salem Witch Trials, or any time when they've persecuted magic-users in general?
>>
>He doesn't know how Nips purged Christians
>>
I mean, they hated ninja when they were assassinating honorable samurai. But I doubt they hate magic. They thought their emperor was literally a descendent of the sun goddess.
>>
>>28536409
I don't. Oshiemasen ka?
>>
>>28536410
Any times where someone would be persecuted for something like that?
>>
>>28536468
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Japan#Persecution_under_the_Shogunate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrs_of_Japan
>>
>>28536530
Good reads. Thanks for the info dump.
>>
>>28536530
Tbh trying to curb a dangerous ideology that might just take over the country is not really at the same level as burning children at a stake because they are "witches".

I mean, sure, skyfairy and all that, but they were not getting killed for being magic-users, they were getting killed for being a threat.
>>
File: JEt9ZUj.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
JEt9ZUj.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>28537063
> dangerous ideology
> burning children because they are witches
>>
Magic by christian understanding is supernatural power borrowed from demons and inherently evil, so anyone wielding it had to be in cahoots with Satan and be destroyed.

Japan's spirituality is way too far removed from this and their whole concept of supernatural powers was completely different. Spirits live in every single location and object and weren't inherently good or evil.
>>
>>28537063
Tbh trying to curb a dangerous ideology that might just take over the town is not really at the same level as burning children at a stake because they are "christians".

I mean, sure, skyfairy and all that, but they were not getting killed for being magic-users, they were getting killed for being a threat.
>>
>>28537142
Interesting to note. Good info.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.