[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard to find a good horror film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1391414069818.jpg (131 KB, 474x480) Image search: [Google]
1391414069818.jpg
131 KB, 474x480
Why is it so hard to find a good horror film?
>>
Filter pre-2000s horror films. Done.
>>
Horror movies are one of the most normie types of entertainment. Horror literature is pretty patrician though.
>>
>>28535954
I'm on Netflix right now, and pretty much everything on there is from the past 10 years. They also all have about a 2-star rating.
>>
>>28536114
I agree. Scary stories >>> scary movies.
>>
>>28535842
Because there's no such thing as a scary movie. Just gore films.
>>
>exorcism
>dolls
>generic serial killer
>old Victorian style haunted/cursed house
Why are so many popular horror premises shit that sounds like it came from a ten year old born in 1870?
>>
>>28536343
Babadook is best one.
>>
>>28536872
Babadook is flippin GOAT
>>
Netflix is inundated with cheap movies that were easy to secure as new content. Horror is particularly bad on Netflix. ABC's of death and Barbarous Mexico were pretty good, though. Then, you've got a few good cult movies like Hellraiser. Most horror is for normies, though.
>>
just search on imdb for horror movies everything with 7+ rating is good
>>
>>28536872
>>28536909

Babadook was boring overrated garbage though. Seriously.
>>
The only good piece of horror (as in the genre is just horror and that's it, not chainsaw murder spree Hollywood action) fiction that I've ever consumed is Saya no Uta the visual novel, and I'm not even a weeb.
>>
I liked The Visit
>>
I just saw Record or Rec (whatever it is) last night and even though it's Spanish it was phenomenal
>>
It's hard to find good horror content when your entire life is a horror show. How is a film supposed to make you feel more dread than you already do every day you continue to be alive? What is left to frighten you when you welcome death with open arms?
If you want to watch a movie that will make you feel something, watch old home movies. See that young version of yourself. You were so unassuming. If only you knew how things would turn out. You were so happy. So carefree. How did everything go so wrong?
>>
>>28536343
dont take netflix ratings seriously
>>
The horror genre is actually kind of interesting because it's fractured into several types of horror. You've got your classic slasher films, your horror comedy, body horror, and psychological thrillers. They aren't all meant to actually be scary, which is the interesting bit. Some are meant to be more... funky and funny. Some are funky and funny unintentionally which is why some people like to ironically watch B grade horror films.

ACTUAL horror as in 'scares the viewer' is pretty easy to do now since the basic tenets of what naturally scares people psychologically has been well established. Although it's not a very popular style, movies that are TOO scary don't do well.
>>
>>28537347
I watched Hush last night, and it made me lol irl at how much of a troll the killer was.
>>
>>28537347
>Too scary
Does this exist?
>>
>>28537512
It does to normies.
>>
>>28537512
A Serbian Film? It's banned in some countries.

You can find loads of really horrible shit online too, classics like Pain Olympics and the Dinkheller Shooting.

It's got its appeal but it's not a wide appeal.
>>
>>28537580
>46% on Rotten Tomatoes
Are you sure I can trust this?
>>
>>28537580
Those aren't scary, they're just gorey. Copious violence isn't frightening, it's just shock value.
>>
>>28537651
It's real violence anon, that's why it's disturbing. Body horror is good special effects, it's not someone actually chopping their dick off.
>>
>>28537681
How do you like your centipede, f@m?
>>
>>28535842
"The Witch" is a good recent one, much suspense anon-kun
>>
File: 1461975933122.png (281 KB, 535x466) Image search: [Google]
1461975933122.png
281 KB, 535x466
>>28537580
>A Serbian Film
EXTREMELY overrated, the few scenes that try to shock are spaced widely apart with gratuitous sex and a shitty plot no one cares about. The actual "horror" isn't even shown on screen in most cases, or just isn't that horrifying. I've seen this film at least 5 times (because of people begging me to watch them with it for their first time) and I've been more disappointed with each viewing.

>Pain Olympics
Gore for gore's sake, only worth watching if you're into that sort of thing. Not horror.

>Dinkheller shooting
Only thing you named that has any remotely horrifying content but even then it's not that impressive.

If you really want to shit your fucking pants, try the Guinea Pig series, or Martyrs. If you want a slasher film combined with some psychological horror, try Maniac (1980 not the modern one), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974, not the remakes) or Psycho (again, 1960, not the remakes).

I haven't seen it myself but I hear that Babadook subverts most traditional horror movie tropes and delivers something decent, you might want to give that a look, too.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.