[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do westerners move out when they are 18? Do you parents just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: latest[1].jpg (72 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
72 KB, 1024x576
Why do westerners move out when they are 18? Do you parents just want you to start your own life at that point, do they just try to chase you out?|

Never understood that coming from a gook family, you are pretty much expected to live with your parents until you get married, it's actually viewed as pretty normal to be living with your parents even when you are 30+
>>
It's mainly an american thing to move out at 18. It's a sink or swim technique
>>
>>28532600
It's something the jews came up with so more people live paycheck to paycheck, using credit cards to barely make it by in life.
>>
I always wondered why white families do that. Just kick their children out the second they turn 18. And then the parents wonder why they never get called.
>>
In the UK, 18 year olds usually stay living in their parents house until they have enough money to move out or move in somewhere with their partner. They only get kicked out if their parents don't like them
>>
Well I decided to leave as soon as I started college. There's multiple factors:
- it is normal, and everyone in my family did so
- I was raised to believe that independent living is important and valuable (results in me never taking neetbucks or sth like that)
- I wanted to have new experiences and this was the best way to do so
- learn a shitton of skills, be able to plan without parents what to do
- could potentially do parties more often (this one is theory because parties with friends that are like me are not really parties, we just chilled a lot)
- both my sisters had good experiences living with others so I wanted to try it as well to get to know people that do not learn the samr shit I do. (yes I lived with other people, which is nice if they are not assholes)

Hope that clears it up a bit. There's no better way, just different approaches
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 592x592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 592x592
>>28532666
>living in borderline poverty because it's "normal and everyone does it"
>>
It's a common thing in the USA because jobs are abundant and the standart of living is very high. To place the same expectations on a 18y old in a 3rd world country is unrealistic.
>>
>>28532600
Money. Both parents and women like it when you have a good bit of it. If you can live on your own then you must have at least some of it. We're a very materialistic people. We judge one another's worth by how much money and possessions and individual has.
>>
>>28532689
Well you are not rich by any way but not poor either. You have to plan food and shit and then there's always money left to do other stuff, although not too much.

I don't get why not having much money is horrible as long as you can pay for food (which is not that expensive if you plan for it where I live) and the rent (which is fucking expensive but what am i supoosed to do).

Also it's not like I didn't get any money by my parents, they send me a small amount per month to help me out of course for the rent and stuff. It really is not as bad as it sounds.

Also for me living away drom home has other additional perks:
-do not have to use the train every morning to drive 1.5 hours, potentially up to 4 times a day
-can chill at "home" anytime I want
-still can come back to parents and they enjoy it a lot more because I was away
-friends live learby, can meet them anytime (within 15 mins, which is nice because I used to live in a village with shitty connections to the city and I don't have a car (I don't want one until I finished college)).
>>
>tfw brother got kicked out for being rude to parents at 21
>tfw no more brother getting mad at video games at 1 in the morning
>>
Also, I have always read many stories where people have to sell off their stuff at quick notice because they can't pay rent.. Which is weird..

Don't you guys have emergency savings? Do your guys just spend all your money on stuff and shit?
>>
My father kicked me out of his home when I was 18.
To be fair, he did give me a flat to use for free, and a decent allowance, so it's alright.
>>
>>28532890
Americans like to live beyond their means. It's a fairly recent tradition. Started back in the 80's or 70's.
>>
>>28532927

So what, do they just keep buying stuff and spending money all the time??

What about saving money in the bank?
>>
Capitalism works better this way
>>
>>28532600
western here, not from the U.S, is more of a U.S thing I don't even why is that a thing there.
>>
>>28532600
Yea in the UK traditionally you move out when you get a partner who can share rent (very traditionally when you marry them).

I have to remind my parents of this alot of the time though since they're falling for the Jew meme. That said there's no doubt about it. Living with your parents inhibits personal growth and kills alot of opportunities but since I won't be getting laid anyway there's no point.
>>
>>28533021
Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck
>>
>>28532600
My parents are really chill. I'm 23, almost through college, and I'll be ready to move out as soon as I get my teaching degree
>>
>>28533382

That sounds dangerous. What if you got fired and can't find a job in time to pay rent?
>>
>>28533552
That's nothing, you should see the cost of medical bills. 1 to 2 years of cancer treatment can cost up to a million dollars to give you an example.
>>
>>28532890
When you make $8 an hour and have to pay rent, food, utilities, car payments and insurance, youre basically left with nothing at the end of the month. How can you save anything when you're left with $5 at the end of the month after all of your bills have been paid?

Now if you have a decent job and live cheaply, you can build some savings, but this isnt the case for most kids moving out at 18 or going through college.
>>
>>28532600
Where I live it's actually uncommon to move out at 18. Most people live with their parents, and continue to live with their parents even after they get married and have families. Multiple generations living in one big house.

I live in the US
>>
>>28533552
It takes awhile to get kicked out for not paying your rent, like it can take 6+ months in some cases. The landlord can't throw your stuff out or change the locks legally until a court approves it. Renters can fuck a landlord over big time by doing this and the landlord will have to bide their time until the contracts up or pay court fees to try and get the process moving faster.

Its a big shit show.
>>
>>28533634
In China Town or something?

That isn't the norm buddy
>>
File: uWfVo0s.jpg (102 KB, 600x799) Image search: [Google]
uWfVo0s.jpg
102 KB, 600x799
Some statistics about Europe.
>>
>>28533621

This. Unless you're lucky enough to have a job that's not shit you just have to live paycheck to paycheck and hope against all hope you don't get sick or your car doesn't get fucked up.

If either happens enjoy being debt and drinking yourself to sleep every night.
>>
>>28533634
Youre not white. Its a white people thing.
>>
File: bear.jpg (38 KB, 460x480) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
38 KB, 460x480
>>28533634
>>28533673
>mfw if everybody did this then we wouldn't have to cut down so many trees for wood to build new houses and forest/farmland would be preserved
>>
>>28532600
industrial revolution
family compounds were normal. entire extended family lived in a complex. then cottage industry died and everyone needed to pair off and start a new life in a factory town. the meme stuck.
>>
>>28533668

Why can't they.. Move back with your parents?
>>
It used to be pretty easy to move out at 18, get a job that pays well and buy a house for cheap. This was how our parents had it up until the 90s when things started to get more expensive and entry level jobs wouldn't pay enough to live comfortably on.

A parent that kicks their kid out at 18 nowadays is a recipe for disaster. You can't support yourself on minimum wage unless you're living with 6 other people and eating rice and beans for every meal. Kids are living with their parents longer and longer in the US now.
>>
>>28533788
If their parents are the ones who kicked them out in the first place, then its not an option is it?
>>
>>28533870

But their kids are in serious trouble of falling into debt, won't they lend a helping hand?

Or are you pretty much on your own after 18?
>>
>>28533788

Moving back in with your parents after moving out just means you couldn't keep it together on your own. It's embarrassing. Imagine having people over and then telling them they need to be quiet when it's late so they won't wake your parents up.
>>
>>28533885
>Imagine having people over and then telling them they need to be quiet when it's late so they won't wake your parents up

Ahh I have experienced that before, but like I said it's extremely common to live with your parents even after you are 30 and single. I can see it being a problem though
>>
>>28533958

It's not here. It also makes dating pretty impossible because if a woman finds out you live with your parents she fucking bolts.
>>
>>28532702
It is realistic. Its just that we dont want to live all our lifes with debt. Like most americuks have. Americuks get nice cars but paying them for 10 years.. house that they never own, and a overpriced college education
>>
>>28533673
It's literally too expensive to live on your own, that's why. Studio apartments in the ghetto start at like $1,200 a month. There's no suburbs or place to move away from because it's a tiny island.

Guess where.

>>28533698
White as snow famalam
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.