[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /r9k/ approved literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
File: 662.jpg (185 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
185 KB, 299x475
ITT: /r9k/ approved literature
>>
Rand is an awful writer though.
>>
>>28527809
don't know what lit fags think of it, but it's my favorite book.
>>
>>28527823
It's masked by the fact she's an even more terrible 'philosopher'.
>>
>>28527809
>Atlas Shrugged
>approved literature
Normie gtfo ree etc.
>>
>Atlas chuckled
>>
>>28527809
my book that I won't share the name of
Mein Kampf
Lolita
that's all I can think of
>>
>>28527823
>>28527841

The "Rand was a terrible writer/philsopher because leftist reddit told me so meme!"

Go the fuck back there.

>>28527868

Are you fucking kidding me? Normies? Liking Rand? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No Rand is an evil atheist to the normies Christcucks. If they even heard of her, or Mr. Yolo Swag collectivst-conformist who was too stupid to get it.
>>
>>28527809
>Reading a book by a woman.
>>
>>28527837
Is this book written in a complicated way? I tried to read a couple of /lit/ recommended books, but I must be a retard because I couldn't keep up with the writing.
>>
Man I read all of Atlas Shrugged last month and... damn what a boring fucking book. No real justice in the end. Everyone comes off as a piece of shit except Hank Rearden, and even he is cheating trash.

It's pretty fucked they abandoned Eddie Willers.
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 462x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 462x750
Hdrjbtindyouffikgdtujfsr original
>>
>>28527936

Rand is pretty popular among conservatives and republicans.
>>
The myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>28527984
This. It's fucking weird how many of her fans are fundamentalist Christians.
>>
>>28527936
She's a bad writer because her characters never have any fucking depth and conciseness is a foreign concept to her. I don't give a damn about her philosophy.
>>
File: albert-camus.jpg (202 KB, 1381x874) Image search: [Google]
albert-camus.jpg
202 KB, 1381x874
>>28527837
>>28527991
>they don't know Camus was a chad
He was known for being a ladies' man and a socializer which set him apart from many other existentialists of his time who were more reclusive.
>>
Notes from Underground ofc
>>
>>28527984

There are a lot of libertarian Christians who are diehard believers that God gave them free will, and the government interferes with it.

The message that the hardworking deserve their rewards really applies with a lot of conservative/republican principles (at least of the past, who the fuck knows with the current circus of modern politics).

I liked Ayn Rand's books, but I liked her philosophy more. It was my first introduction to trying to use rational arguments to come up with things such as morals and principles.

But, I don't think I could read Atlas Shrugged again. Her characters were no so much as people as anthropomorphized principles. For me, I'm all about the human element now.
>>
>>28527956
>not reading Virginia Woolf
>not reading the only true fembot that ever lived
>>
>>28528016
>>28528091

Haha, fuck, I responded to myself instead of you!
>>
>>28528065
Hard to be a humanist when you don't associate with humans.
>>
>>28527809
Rand was an obsessive schizoid that would hoard absolutely everything he owned in his apartment.
>>
>>28528134

>he

She's a fuckin' troll, though.

She developed a massive cult of personality and abused amphetamines. She had her problems, for sure.
>>
>>28528153
>He didn't know Ayn Rand was MtF transsexual
>>
>>28528153
didnt she fuck a ton of her acolytes too?
>>
>>28528161

No, I don't think I have. What is it? A book for ants?

=]
>>
>>28528091
>hardworking deserve their rewards
inb4 you literally believe that the capitalist class who do nothing but push papers and exploit profit from the working class are "hard workers"
>>
>>28528091
Well American Christians are experts at mental gymnastics. I guess they people deluded enough to reconcile the sermon on the mount with prosperity gospel would be dumb enough to see Rand as compatible with Christ.
>>
>>28527809
Rand's work is literally about how awful and undeserving of love everyone on this board is. Why would we approve THAT?
>>
>>28528182

A ton? I'm not sure. She definitely shacked up with Nathaniel Branden, though, who later became a major pillar in the self-esteem movement. She was married at the time and sleeping with him--I think her husband knew. She cucked him.
>>
>>28528096
She was a classist cunt but Orlando was a fascinating read. I'm surprised it's not more popular here with all the traps running around.
>>
>>28528192

I would call them bureaucracy, and apply the right resources at the right time deserves a profit, if you're talking about investment.

Hardwork may have been the wrong term, how about valuable, efficient, or productive work? You can spend all your fucking life breaking rocks with other rocks, and that will be hard work, but it's not valuable, and it doesn't generate wealth.
>>
>>28528176
This would be a good lie to spread around.
>>
File: IMG_5148.jpg (33 KB, 369x492) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5148.jpg
33 KB, 369x492
>>28528186
4chan is hard after you smoke weed
>>
>>28527984

That's because they cherry pick her words like they cherry pick the Bible. They like the part about capitalism being good, they don't like the part about reality being real and actually having reality-based mortality.

Rand hated christian conservatives. And they've done her a disservice by talking about her because now she gets auto-rejected by people because of guilt by association bullshit.

>>28528091

You have a good understanding of things.
>>
>>28528258

Ah yes, I understand. If you like the book, what do you like about it? I'm always looking for new material to read.
>>
>>28528181
>>28528236
Yeah. I thought her painter character in To the Lighthouse was a robot. The character seemed to have disdain for her family and a lot of social interactions. Overall, a very good book.
>>
>>28528279

Thank you. I was both the comments you responded to.

They certainly, absolutely, and totally cherrypick.

When you have a bunch of violent retards who are willing to murder to get they want, sometimes it's nice to have a bunch of violent retards that you can kind of "root for" cause they kind of sort of want things that are similar to what you want.
>>
File: Sorry for being a normie.jpg (16 KB, 178x280) Image search: [Google]
Sorry for being a normie.jpg
16 KB, 178x280
This is probably my favorite book
>>
>>28528153
>>28528182

>Made a cult of personality.

>The person who literally said "I didn't want to name my philosophy after myself because it's not about me and I wanted it grow after I'm gone."

The cult shit is liberal projecting.

>>28528206

That was Rand's only real flaw in my opinion. Objectivism is truth for the most part, but you have to combine it with "the red pill" of sorts on women to realize the areas Rand didn't go and fill in the gaps, which is what I'm doing.
>>
>>28528333
REEEE: The Novel
>>
>>28528394
Yeah basically, I honestly couldn't tell you why I like it so much.
>>
>>28528284
Well it alludes heavily to classical Japanese literature especially the tale of genji and it's a deeply psychological novel. kind of strange. kind of suspenseful. It was short but it felt dense desu.
>>
>>28528337
>Objectivism is truth for the most part,

underage b&
>>
>>28527959
no it's pretty simple...
>>
>>28528444

Sounds interesting. If you would like, I would be interested in hearing more about it. I don't mind spoilers. I'm more about the journey than the destination.

I don't know what Genji are. How is the book psychological?

Not trying to get you to write an essay, though homes. Respond with what you can with your weed-induced state.
>>
>>28528258
DUDE W33D
>>
>>28528327

>Thank you. I was both the comments you responded to.

No problem robobro.
>>
File: IMG_0088_3.jpg (448 KB, 652x966) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0088_3.jpg
448 KB, 652x966
>>28527809
>capitalist kike
>r9k approved

nice try motherfucker
>>
-infinite jest
-notes from underground
-american psycho
-the naked lunch
-conspiracy against the human race
-the world as will and representation
-place of dead roads
>>
>>28528461

Tell yourself what you need to tell yourself to keep you from putting any effort into your life mortal.

>Reality isn't real, I'm a cute anime girl if I want to be one!
>>
>>28528493
It all comes down to a scene in Genji where Genji's former lover, Rokujo, becomes bitter over Genji's wife, Aoi's, pregnancy and subconsciously sends her sprit to kill Aoi. Masks is about how an older woman manipulates her daughter in law to seduce a man and steal his seed to impregnate her mentally retarded daughter.
>>
>>28528493
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji
>>
File: 0932050417.jpg (51 KB, 455x720) Image search: [Google]
0932050417.jpg
51 KB, 455x720
Christian American Chad goes off to fight communists , gets killed, and now African American Professors call him an ultra right wing racist.
>>
File: amnu.jpg (14 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
amnu.jpg
14 KB, 194x259
I fee like most of r9k should read this. Even in the context of the information age it remains totally relevant. It basically talks about how addiction to mass media is the new form of control. It's not exact full of innovative ideas, but is fascinating to read.
>>
>>28527978
Yeah pretty much this.

Also I would like some oregano with my comment.
>>
>>28528571
>Christian
>American
>chad
Dropped.
>>
>>28528552
Genji is chad. He just fucks everyone. Fuck this Japanese cuck literature.
>>
File: 61gafoq4XBL.jpg (82 KB, 907x1360) Image search: [Google]
61gafoq4XBL.jpg
82 KB, 907x1360
get psyched
>>
>>28528337

Maybe I am wrong about the cult thing. I haven't looked into it much.

I like a lot of what Ayn Rand had to offer, but I also think that she herself was very limited as a person. I don't think that drug usage is truly an act that promotes life (I can't quite remember what she had made for the argument here as it's been about five or more years since I read Virtue of Selfishness).

I think that we also know a lot more about humanity and the world around us. I see Ayn Rand as a great foundation, but a foundation isn't enough to provide a home and shelter.

Also, personally, I think that there is a lot of shame that is experience with people to try to be good but miss their mark, and I think that is discouraging for such people.
>>
>>28528549
>>28528552

Jesus. That does sound pretty intense. I'll add it to my queue.
>>
>>28527936

>thinking Rand is good
>thinking its normalfag to be religious

Very obviously a newfig trying too hard to fit in. Lurk before you post or leave you idiot
>>
>>28528435
i like it too, brother
>>
>>28528535
This guy knows his shit.
Especially if you've read "the world as will and representation"
and "conspiracy against the human race"
You've reached the fucking bottom of nihilism.
>>
>>28528585

Bread and circus my nigga

Something about...

I think I began to read this book. Something about, the medium is the message? I don't know if I finished it or why I didn't if I haven't.
>>
>>28528738

More specifically, it analyses both the worlds of Huxley's Brave New World and Orwell's 1984 and concludes that our world has taken the route of Huxley's diplopia. Rather than giving up total control to totalitarian regimes, we had let entertainment rule the course of our society. A good bit is when Postman briefly talks about presidential nominations and mass media, which is highly relevant given the sensationalist nature of the primaries.
>>
>>28528841

Jesus. Yeah, I think that I'll be acquiring another copy of that to make sure that I have finished it.
>>
>>28528630

>I think that we also know a lot more about humanity and the world around us.

That's what I meant. Rand didn't read much, admittedly herself, into stuff like evolution and biology. That was her weak point. Also being a woman I don't think she could admit that the parasites she loathed were primarily women.

>Also, personally, I think that there is a lot of shame that is experience with people to try to be good but miss their mark, and I think that is discouraging for such people.

Objectivism has been kind of a curse for me too because I have this super-hero level of dedication to trying to be a good, moral person. But when the rest of the world doesn't play by any rules at all it makes it harder to live by your own rules. People don't get it.

> I see Ayn Rand as a great foundation, but a foundation isn't enough to provide a home and shelter.

I do too but a little more than a Foundation. Like Objectivism is NASA but Rand didn't quite get to the rocket part. That's up for us to do. She actually picked up on early philosophy, Objectivism is a continuation of the train of thought put forward by Aristole and other philosophers. They're all taking steps towards the truth. Rand was the latest step. I think she knew that herself too, that's why she wrote and spoke so much about Objectivism going on without her and put someone else in charge of the philosophy's direction -- Leonard Piekoff. Who's actually based as fuck.

Also I think George Reisman is Rand's true heir, but he's rejected by the Oist community for bullshit drama reasons (Ayn Rand Foundation is a drama house).
>>
>>28528649

>>thinking its normalfag to be religious

The only way you *don't* think this if you were born in the fucking 90s or 00s you missed out on good ole fashion born again hysteria.

Try harder mortal. Your attempts at trolling are pathetic and beneath me.

Very obvious shitposter putting a laughable amount of effort into getting that (You) they so desperately need.
>>
>>28528937

>Objectivism has been kind of a curse for me...

shit sux man.

I gave up on being a good person long ago.

Now, I just want to be me (self-exploration, journaling, therapy, etc). The more of myself that I become, the more naturally I am a "good" person and do good things.
>>
>>28528091
>God gave them free will

Didn't Satan do that?
>>
>>28529032

I mean, if we're being real here... I mean, yeah.

Such a good fuckin' argument, gave me a hearty chuckle.
>>
File: amused-to-death.jpg (162 KB, 1022x1024) Image search: [Google]
amused-to-death.jpg
162 KB, 1022x1024
>>28528585
At least I can say that Roger Waters used the title for one of his albums, and it's one of my favorites.

As for Rand, "reality is real" and "A = A" is not a methodology. The methodologies that prop up libertarianism are crap, so as a result objectivism is specious and the far-reaching conclusions that Rand likes don't come in themselves from obvious first principles and simple deduction. That is, objectivism is probably the most ">taking things for granted" of philosophy, which is quite an accomplishment given the existence of analytic philosophy.
>>
>>28529205

Those aren't methodology, you're right.

They're axioms, they are irrefutable facts of reality.

At the very least, I would say that property rights can be deduced from first principles, which is a major pillar in Objectivism and and libertarian beliefs. I would be happy to demonstrate how if you have any doubts regarding it, just let me know.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.