[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What musical instruments do you play?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9
File: 0032 - 4EApFij.jpg (48 KB, 383x367) Image search: [Google]
0032 - 4EApFij.jpg
48 KB, 383x367
What musical instruments do you play?
>>
keyboards, guitar, drums and never seen a vagina.

Seriously. Who says that musical instruments aren't robot stuff is a fucking idiot. When you really like to play and put good amount of your time to it, you are probably a robot.

Especially professional classical musicians.

Of course, when you go out and play Wonderwall and make a face like you really enjoy it while singing, you are probably going to get laid. I am not dropping to that level, even if I have to be a best wizard ever.
>>
Also, 21.
not only a vagina. Also kissless, romantic hugless.
>>
This guy right here! >>28515000
Classical guitar, bass and learning saxophone. Kissless virgin.
Also, trips checked.
>>
Guitar and drums.
Looking for someone that wants to make music with me. If you have knowledge about recording equipment and software that would be even better.
>Portland, OR
>>
piano, guitar, any brass instrument
>>
Guitar

started in november and I can already play some pretty hard things like iron maiden solos, but i'm no steve vai. Anyone with experience got advice?
>>
>>28515077

Guy that commented first on this thread reporting.

If you want only to record stuff that you play, you can just download a Reaper for free. You might need sound interface (I call it external sound card for computer) like E-MU or maybe with better price, Scarlett.

If you want to do more advanced stuff like adding compressors, gates, effects etc. then you might want to download Cubase or Pro Tools. I downloaded it, you can buy it, but I wouldn't advice that to you. They are incredibly expensive.

For Microphones you must tell me, what you want to record?
>>
>>28515138
Learn what you want to learn.

Don't neglect learning some theory and stuff.
Basic scales and chords will help you immensely.
When you are able to pick it up and jam freestyle instead of playing a tab you feel amazing. Goodluck and don't give up!
>>
>>28515138
look at videos of live performances to see what technique the use. Practice very slow and when confident, speed up a little. Rinse and repeat.
>>
File: 1462491183945.png (176 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1462491183945.png
176 KB, 409x409
I played trumpet all through high school. I''ve been trying to learn guitar since 6 years ago but I'm thinking of moving to bass.
>>
>>28515069
My first trips ever :D

How old?
>>
>>28515202
Which proves the equation:
Bassist = Failed guitarist

JK, but there's a lot of examples :D
>>
still playing trumpet for like 3 years now. wouldn't recommend because if you play like in churches or similar you get placed into a choir full of old people desu
>>
harmonica, and i'm fucking sick at it
>>
>>28514525

Electric guitar/bass, some classical guitar, cello, piano (poorly as shit)

Thinking about alto sax too, but that shit's expensive
>>
>>28515160
I'll look into reaper I'm currently using audacity and it sucks ass desu.
I go through the line-out on my guitar amp to the line in on my computer and that seems to work ok, except there are some clicking sounds that happen I'm not sure why just yet. I think it's the adapter I'm using from the 1/4" cable to the computer. From there I'm playing my recorded track through my PA speaker which my electronic drumset is plugged into. I just point a cheap condenser mic at it. I've gotten a couple decent sounding recordings but it's a pain in the ass without proper equipment. I'd like to mic up everything and use my acoustic drumset but I'm in a little apartment.
>>
Clarinet and guitar, havent played either in 2 years.
How easy is it to relearn?
>>
>>28515180
>>28515199
I've been using rocksmith to play this stuff and it's honestly great. I've only played since september but I can sightread and easily learn a ton of riffs and scales, you should really check it out.
>>
>>28515293
it's like riding a bike, but you need to have the inspiration to play.
>>28515304
Yeah I've seen rocksmith I just haven't gotten it because I mainly only make up my own stuff anymore. If I decide to learn a song or something I'll definitely get it. A friend of mine keeps telling me to get it too lol.
>>
Played guitar for 8 years, trying to git gud-er and learn more advanced stuff because I'm stuck in a rut of falling back into the same things over and over again out of habit.
>>
>>28515000
guitar,bass,drums,violin,double bass here
im especially robot, its like the more instruments you learn the more robot you become
people must wonder where i got all this spare time from
>>
All saxes, trombone and trumpet, clarinet, low strings, and guitar
>>
>>28515338
>i only make up my own stuff

SAM?
>>
Classical guitar / traditional flamenco ( bulerias are my favorite ) and viola.
>>
>>28515363
>SAM?
wut
>>
What do you mean by "I play guitar". Does it mean you play songs made by others or yourself? ????????? I just started guitar so tips are helpful
>>
>>28515424
sam d?

is that you?
>>
Guitar and a bit of piano. I'm too autistic to play with other people though, so I just jam alone in my apartment.
>>
File: 3hy356h.jpg (53 KB, 610x338) Image search: [Google]
3hy356h.jpg
53 KB, 610x338
>>28515429
No, my initials are AW
>>
Guitar, Banjo, djembe

I've never played music for anybody before, and I also don't talk to people often. I'm usually just locked up at home trying to write music.I also sing, but I don't know if I'm that good
>>
>>28515435

This

I really just improvise, tempo and key free. Can't write songs for shit. Oh well
>>
>>28515448
:*(

being original huh?
>>
>>28515428
It just means you can play guitar. I started in only november and can play a whole bunch of music by using rocksmith, check it out, learning chords, scales, and basic theory is good to improvise but i don't do a lot of that
>>
>>28515474
I'm trying

I'll say it again, I'm looking for a partner in Portland, OR to make music with. Idc if you consider yourself a noob or whatever, I'm not hell bent on technicality just if you're willing to try we can bounce ideas off of each other.

Making music alone is hard
>>
>>28515591
>Making music alone is hard
I know this feel, anon
>>
>>28515591
This. Except im in Downey, CA.
>>
>>28514525
Classical guitar.
I'm not one of those "artsy" Chads that get girls wet by playing a powerchord though.
>>
Played classical guitar since 13, dad bought me a electric when I was in my edgy metal phase at 16. Haven't played either in about a year now, switched to piano. My teacher says I would've been a great pianist if I started as a child.
What music do you robots play? I've always found Bach to resonate with me on a special level, used to play him a lot on my guitar. Polyphony is slightly more difficult on the piano, so I only play inventions at the moment. Also Chopin and anime songs.
>>
>>28515749

Polyphony is the reason I mostly abandoned piano, I could not get over that shit.

And idk about what your teacher said, you could still be a great pianist, couldn't you? I don't see why not
>>
>>28515222
trips checked once again!
>>
>>28515749
>bach
>chopin
>anime songs

where did we go wrong r9k
>>
>>28515138
Need to play something mellow or somewhat romantic to get the staceys
>>
>>28514525
I play bass. I am currently looking for a band because shitty pop punk disbaned. Bass is fun
>>
>>28515907
>playing guitar for le grillz

I won't stoop this low until I reach 22 and still a virgin, 18 atm.
>>
>>28515749
When I first picked up guitar I loved Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn, stuff like that.
I've learned a lot of classical guitar renditions of video game music.
In my edgy metal phase I learned stuff like Cynic, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Some stuff like Red hot Chili peppers, pepper, and sublime as well.
Took a hiatus from music for a while.
Now I take inspiration from all of that stuff as well as groups like Shpongle, Lusid, and Astral Projection
>>
>>28515932
Oh and of course classics like Pink Floyd, Led zep, the Beatles and shit goes without saying desu
>>
Trombone (15+ years, out of practice)
Euphonium
Piano (not very well, struggle sight reading treble cleff due to lack of practice)
Guitar (not very well)
Harmonica

Really wish I had learned or taken lessons in piano as a kid. It would have made teaching self guitar and other instruments somewhat easier. Kind of want to learn violin, but that is an investment of time and money I don't have.
>>
>>28515749
I don't do many covers, but I know few animal collective songs and some bach stuff and a little Erik Satie

I make lo-fi neo-psychedelic type stuff mostly, but also sparse free form folk stuff. To bad I know very little about recording and have only recorded one song
>>
>>28515961
>Euphonium
that's a great instrument
>>
>>28515823
Probably I could, but not professionally. Not that I want to really, it seems like most pros barely enjoy it anymore.
>>
>>28515955
Interesting choice, how about trying some classic Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Hendrix, Megadeth?
>>
>>28516043
Hendrix and Megadeth yes. Was big into them as well when I was 15-16. There are so many good classics it's hard to name them all haha
>>
>>28516066
I know it's a shitty meme, but there really is no good mainstream music now.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU
>>
>>28515289
First of all. If you want a good tone, forget Line inputs.
Use Shure SM 57!
Of course, there are better microphones, but this one is like a standard. Put it in front of your amp speaker (you can move it a from the center of the speaker to the end of the membrane of the speaker. You can then choose what tone you like the most. Move it left and right until you find the one that is most suitable for you). Use that for a guitar of course.

If you can't record your acoustic drumset, then send your electronic drumset through a EZDrummer software. It has really cool sounds and you can change the volume of every pad.
But if you can somehow, record acoustic drumset. Nature is nature. Nothing beats it :D

I hope that I helped a little :)
>>
Clarinet and piano, but very rarely play them these days since I do a lot of singing (baritone, although I got told in a masterclass recently that I might end up as a heldentenor)

Considering applying for music school after I finish my degree since singing is the only thing that makes me happy and I've probably got a good enough voice to make it.
>>
>>28515709
The sad thing is that they don't even try to learn Major or Minor barre chords cause it needs time. Instead, they always play power chords cause it doesn't matter if you mute strings below.
>>
>>28516106
Oh nice and that's only 100 bucks!
EZDrummer. Got it. You've helped immensely thanks so much.
>>
>>28515839
Damn son. Something special must happen to me soon. Like, find gf? No? ok :(
>>
Trombone, Basoon, Baritone, Euphonium, Flute, Picilo, Tuba
I also like to play around with drums
>>
>>28515919
You have time. Also, I appreciate the opinion. Never do that. Not even when you reach 22. Better make some money from playing and buy a hooker :)

I will do that soon, I am almost 21.
>>
>>28516173
You're welcome :)

For drums, you are probably going to have no delay, but if you do have it, simply buy something like Scarlett 2i4
>>
Violin/guitar/banjo basically any 4-16string instrument I can pick up and easily replicate the same songs.

I only actively play guitar and violin though
>>
It's me rocksmith anon from the thread, how long would it take to learn how to sweep pick and play riffs like the one from painkiller?
>>
Violinist here.
Pretty damn good if I say so myself. Playing violin is only sexy if you're sexy though (I.e. Lindsey Sterling)
>>
>>28514525

clarinet, guitar, bass
>>
>>28516207
>picilo
u wot
>>
>>28514525
I play music to escape but I'm pretty shit. I've badly self taught myself guitar and drums. I can't tell people my main hobby is playing music because they'll laugh at how bad I am at my only talent.
>>
i have an electronic drum kit, i'd be so bored i'd lose my mind without it
i'm mostly self-taught which is code for my technique is garbage
but i've been seeing noticeable improvements lately after i started paying more attention to my strokes and loosening up a bit
i don't really do exercises or warmups all that often even though i really should
for the most part i just plug my computer into the line in and play with my favorite songs
>>
>>28514525
The Harmonica and the bongos. I like the bongos more, but that harmonica is very portable and I can play some sad and melancholic blues on it.

Currently trying to learn "digging my potato" from cowboy bebop
>>
>>28516384
It really depends on you. Some people pick up sweep picking relatively easily. Others struggle with it. Don't worry about how long it takes just do it.
>>
>>28516384
Just watch tons of different videos on sweep picking. It's a very nuanced technique and people can do it very differently and still sound great.
>>
I really wish I played an intstrument :\

Any recommendations for one that is easy to learn by self-teaching yet still challenging? I could dedicate so many hours but need one that can be self-taught because I hate taking one-on-one classes more than I hate social interaction and that's a longshot with me being a robot as I am.

Thinking about violin but I've heard that self teaching that is a nightmare and I will fuck up my posture and hand positions.
>>
learning keyboard for about 2 years now.

But I mainly produce music on my computer and record many beats with my Maschine
>>
>>28517190
I'm self teaching guitar using rocksmith - it has a bunch of lessons on, research it, and there are hundreds of yt guides
>>
Guitar and drums.

I self-taught myself everything.
>>
>>28517190
start with drums/percussion so you can build your technical skills along with developing a rhythm; biggest problems I see with people with no past music experience who pick up an instrument is they have NO rhythm. They can get the right notes and have correct technique, but with no concept of time and rhythm, it sounds horrible. Once you get the feel of music down, then you can dive into a instrument that requires proper technique and tone.

I also suggest at least getting a beginners grasp of music theory beforehand too. Helps a lot with understanding what you're playing.
>>
Just euphonium.
>>
File: frog image (745).png (336 KB, 393x379) Image search: [Google]
frog image (745).png
336 KB, 393x379
>>28514525
>that filename
>he downloaded the imgur collection instead of hand-picking his own pepe collection
>>
>>28517744
>*tips forte"
>>
I recently learned how to play boogie woogie piano. Fun as shit. Can't wait to learn more oldies!!!!

Anyone else like the music of yesterday
>>
>>28517744
>tips fedora
not original
>>
I play piano to a really high level desu
Not a virgin, lost it after playing for a girl
>>
Cello, flute, piano, violin but not in awhile
>>
>>28514525
bass, piano
is it possible to git gud at piano without learning notes? i just learn stuff with youtube vids now but it takes a lot of time compared to learning from bass/guitar tabs and stuff like that.
>>
File: 20160216_215850.jpg (487 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160216_215850.jpg
487 KB, 1080x1920
I play guitar
Been playing for around 9 years
>>
File: S1032320.jpg (136 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
S1032320.jpg
136 KB, 1024x768
Guitar for almost 15 years and drums for ~7.
I sold my kit before uni though so just guitar.
>>
>>28518358
that's a pretty attractive guitar, man
>>
File: poor beuscher.jpg (895 KB, 2016x1512) Image search: [Google]
poor beuscher.jpg
895 KB, 2016x1512
I play all of the orchestral/band instruments to varying degrees. My job is to fix instruments so I have to.

Lately however I've been focusing on guitar so I can shred some metal.

Pic related; middle school kids knocked it off a chair.
>>
>>28518372
Thanks friend. The matte finish can get pretty ugly sometimes from fingy grease
>>
File: 1442146793833.jpg (34 KB, 374x363) Image search: [Google]
1442146793833.jpg
34 KB, 374x363
>>28518310
patrician guitar god gf when??

>tfw will never have a guitar battle with gf
>>
>>28518495
>guitar playing
>not bass playing
>not drum playing

Mmmm no thanks
>>
>>28514525
I used to play guitar hero but now I just use online composers to make music.
>>
>>28514525
classical piano...wanted to learn violin at a time, but still continued with piano...
>>
drums and piano a bit. i love the drums so much, best instrument period
>>
clarinet
I haven't practiced in years because my family doesn't like the noise. I almost wish I lived alone, but in an apartment I'd be too scared I'd bother the neighbors anyway. Maybe I should just go into the woods and play.
>>
>>28518794
for real
i typically play for a few hours every day, it's great having electric ones since they don't really bother anyone too much
>>
>>28518813
You can buy noise dampening panels
>>28518832
Electric is great for just jamming but the physicality of an acoustic kit is so much fun
>>
File: Not sure.png (84 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
Not sure.png
84 KB, 409x409
>>28518310
Quite sure, though.
>>
>>28514525
Bass guitar,not very good at it.
>>
>99 replies
Holy fuck enough, does everyone play music now seriously. get a unique hobby jesus christ
>>
>>28519226
what like fucking fly fishing? music is a good hobby and it makes you feel kind of accomplished even if you dont really accomplish anything. why would you not do it? better than just shitposting on here all day.
>>
>>28515591
I wish i could ;_;
Portland and the west coast = god tier, but im east coast right now.

plus my guitar isnt even here yet
>>
>>28519120
what part do you suspect to be bait?
I assure you I've been playing the guitar for 9 years
>>
>>28519226
This, how can anyone truly enjoy something that others have already mastered. Like, wake up sheeple!
xD
>>
clarinet & bass clarinet (when I can borrow one)

I play in a couple regional public bands but to be honest I'm pretty bummed about not being able to go to a music school after I graduated from hs. I'm probably not good enough to make it but one of my senpai managed to get a masters and even got a gig performing at Carnegie Hall.
>>
>>28519485
Ikr, its not like it even has literally infinite possibilities or anything xddd
>>
We should make a robot orchestra
A spaghetti ensemble
A dumb frog philharmonic
>>
>>28519485
That's unironically a good point
>>
I play the DAW :^)
>>
Just bass guitar I kind of wish I learned Piano or took band or orchestra but the school I went to did a shitty job of getting people into it and my parents did not push me to try it. But I've always liked the bass section in most genres so I went and bought a bass and started learning. pretty fun so far
>>
>>28514525
Muh dick, obviously.
>>
How tough/expensive is it to teach yourself how to play the piano?
>>
Any of you in the san diego area?
>>
>>28520016
I know someone that plays trombone and they're pretty robot-tier
>>
>>28520016
No but I played tuba in highschool kek
>>
>>28518936
I'll google those panels, thanks.
>>
>>28514525
violin
I guess I'm pretty good
Can't say the same about my fingers, my right pinky is kinda fucked
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.