[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw tomorrow I have to teach high school kids basic computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1364869175165.jpg (85 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1364869175165.jpg
85 KB, 300x300
>mfw tomorrow I have to teach high school kids basic computer science/logic
>mfw I have to stand in front of 20+ teenagers and make some sort of opening that will transition from "hello" to the course content
>mfw I hate public speaking but I took this job so I could put it on a resume

Does anyone here have teaching experience?
>>
There was a teacher on earlier that got fired for using 4chan. I am pretty sure you will face the same fate.
>>
>"hello, I'm x, I'll be teaching you shitheads and I don't permit fucking around"
>instantly got to course content
Have fun
>>
I do, yes.

Don't worry.

It's a completely different experience from giving a presentation to your peers at uni/whatever.

Believe it or not, your students will actually look up to you as an authority and *listen* to what you have to say.

Most of them, at least.

For a while.
>>
I had to teach minecraft modding to 8 different high schoolers a week over the summer. If they are interested in the topic, it's EZ PZ. If not it's just annoying. Always remember you have the power and don't put up with thier shit.

As for transitioning to the material, it's as easy as saying "Hey I'm anon, I'm teaching this let's do it"
>>
>>28501367
This dude is right.

I taught highschool freshman, and as long as you act confident, they respect you. Show any weakness though and they'll just talk amongst each other while you stand at the front stuttering through half a sentence before you give up. If they give you any shit, try to be creative to shut them down. One I always use when the inevitable smart ass tries to be funny, is to either build on his joke, or to call him out and stare at him. Followed by saying that since he wanted the attention so badly you'll give him his moment. Ask if he has anything left to say and every single time they say some variation of no.
>>
>>28501522
And you know how shitkids are; they LOVE it when their teacher behaves like them, like an immature asshole. A swear now and then really makes them jizz themselves and love you.
>>
>>28501522
I basically came here to say this. This is the correct advice you should be listening to, OP.
>>
>>28501580
Depends on when it's place and the group of kids. Some are mature enough to handle some coarse language as long as it's not overdone, and as long as it isn't the standard of how you teach. I had a teacher who swore every other sentence to literally every student, and it was just annoying.

If they're not listening, sometimes I'll pretend to be pissed off and throw in a "damn" or some equivalent. My general rule is, if it'd get censored on TV, I don't say it.
>>
I taught undergrad math for several years while I was getting my PhD. It was one of the best experiences of my life. High school is a little different but if it's a CS/logic class then it's probably a pretty decent environment.

My experience has always been that the lead-up to the first lecture is at least somewhat nerve-wracking, but once I get going, it's fine. Your mileage may vary.
>>
I work in an inner-city school, so your mileage may vary. but here's what I've found to be generally true:

high schoolers generally respond pretty well to sarcasm. don't take yourself too seriously and they're more likely to respond to you.

that being said, it's absolutely imperative that you shut down the first kid who tests your limits (and there will be that kid within 15 minutes). don't be afraid to be a dick (e.g. "anyone else feel like wasting my time?") if the kid is clearly showing out.

try to do as many group activities as possible if it's feasible. they don't want to listen to you talk for an hour and they won't learn that way.

and even the worst kids are used to giving their teacher respect by default. even if you don't feel like a "real" teacher, you have to act like you do because they'll sniff out weakness instantly.

don't even worry about the "transition" part. just go straight with "I'm Mr. Smith and today we'll be learning how to [x]. anyone have any experience with [x]?"
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.