[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do hypercultures exist? I stumbled on the idea the other day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: 1406257411739.png (568 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1406257411739.png
568 KB, 800x600
Do hypercultures exist?

I stumbled on the idea the other day during a traditional journal entry.

Take any subject matter, for the sake of this post we'll use basketball as an example. The hyperculture is a product of the age of information, in that one cannot possibly absorb all of the information available for any given subject anymore, as it's being produced on a daily rate.

For instance, how likely is it that someone can absorb all of the media produced daily for basketball? Every game, score, shot, player profile, interview, coach discussion, inter-league deals, shows, podcasts, magazine articles, internet video, you'd become numb just attempting to follow every faucet available for modern basketball.
This isn't even to mention delving into the past. Every past game, team, article, ect.

Thus, any subject in the age of information exists that exists within the hypermedia also exists within a hyperculture, which is too large and immense to absorb. No one can truly claim to be a master of any modern, normie topic.

Is any of this valid?
>>
>>28498989
it is for normies who can't into video players, but a robot should be able to download and speed up 2X the videos to watch them. this has always bothered me too, the idea that even within a specific culture the rate new media is produced in hours is higher than the rate of hours. like, 40 hours of new material may be created in 24 hours
>>
File: time.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
time.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
And it's only gonna get faster from here on out. I wonder what all of this will lead to.
>>
>tfw no gf with huge boobs to bury your face in
JUST
>>
File: jswxMum.jpg (234 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
jswxMum.jpg
234 KB, 800x1000
Yes, it's fascinating.
And you wonder how much of that information is utterly worthless to %99 of the population.
>>
>>28498989
No you retards. This problem has existed since forever. And we solved it hundreds of years ago. Its called specialization.

I know you are feeling really deep right now, but sometimes you need to realize your just retarded.
>>
>>28498989
>being a "master" of something means knowing every little insignificant detail about it
what
>>
>>28498989
scaruffi is a polymath of our times
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.