[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you know if you won the discussion? Is it when they stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 15
File: 1462318452997.jpg (91 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1462318452997.jpg
91 KB, 600x800
How do you know if you won the discussion? Is it when they stop using arguments and resort to things like "you have mental issues"?
>>
Brussels?
>>
>>28497609

In real life, people will either acknowledge defeat (rare) or physically shrink or they will try to change the subject by segueing using some weak line like 'w-well yeah I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.'
>>
>>28497648
Yea
Origami
>>
>>28497648
Yeah I think it's brussel
>>
>>28497671
Im talking about 4chan discussions.
>>
>>28497671

That seems right. Although you have to always keep in mind that just because you won the argument, doesn't mean you're actually right.
>>
File: 1462763956101.png (412 KB, 484x2269) Image search: [Google]
1462763956101.png
412 KB, 484x2269
>>28497609
>How do you know if you won the discussion?
When they delete their comment.
>>
>>28497727
How do you win arguments even when you know youre wrong? I know its possible, politicians do it all the time.

Do you just need to practice alot?
>>
>>28497609
When they try to cut off the conversation with any of the following retorts:
>Whatever
>I don't care
>lol
>>
>>28497609
It's when they stop replying and seemingly abandon the thread.
>>
>>28497751
Fuck off back to /pol/ faggot, no one wants your racist rhetoric on here.
>>
>>28497865
That's a stupid criterion as it assumes the person leaving a. Didn't have other things that are more urgent b. Needed to sleep c. Lost their internet connection. This 'last hitting' mentality to 'winning' arguments is what makes debates here so shit. The person with no life or responsibilities wins almost always by default.
>>
I found that its very easy to lose the discussion if you let them lead the discussion.
Always be aware about the subject youre talking about. When you ask him a question an he givea you a vague answer or answers your question with a question, tell him to stay on topic. This makes it very transparant what hes doing.

You can also use this to win arguments when youre wrong, answer questions with a question, and always focus on "attacking" him, not defending yourself. If he tells you things about how wrong you are, and you cant directly refute it, attack his arguments. If you are constantly on defence you basically lose because everyone is focussing on the flaws in your reasoning and not your opponents reasoning.
>>
>>28497865
So just flame until you get the last word and then you win?
>>
>>28497794

Basically. You just have to wear down someone's confidence (obviously not by outright insulting them) and point out a few fallacies to the point where they get flustered.
>>
>>28497956
Wrong. People who do this come across as butthurt and always have to use insults as filler in their arguments.
>>
>>28497609
Just throw a few completely bullshit argument and then when they rightfully call you a retard after refuting each and every one of them, just say any variation of the UMAD BRO UMAD UMAD BRO BRO UMAD, that means you automatically win.
>>
>>28498007
I never said you have to insult them, i said you have to attack their reasoning. If youre constantly defending your argument everyone will see it as a weak argument and other people will jump in.
If you defend your arguments you just let them put pressure on you. You have to put the pressure on them and make them work.
>>
>>28498142
There was one time where i just gave up on the discussion and responded to every single post against me with "youre mad because you have autism" and variations of it. It literally went on for about 2 hours. I didnt even read his posts, they were novels. I just saw the (You), and replied with mad autist. Finally he tired out after 2 hours of trying to reason with me and i won. Feels good.
>>
>>28497609
you have mental issues to be talking about this
>>
>>28498332
What, is talking about how to argue taboo or something?
>>
>>28497865
>>28497991
This. The last word is everything on 4chan. It doesnt matter how strong your arguments are, if he gets the last word you lose.
>>
>>28497609
when they ignore the points you made and try to change the topic.
>>
You might just actually have mental issues though.
>>
>>28498697
Or thats him just running out of things to say so he just tries to make me insecure.
>>
usually when people use ad hominem
>>
>>28498745
You sound paranoid anon.
>>
You can win almost every argument by just mentioning fallacies.

If he makes an argument and he backs it up with a scientific study (which is basically the highest form of BTFOing someone), just say "appeal to authority".
If someone points out a fallacy in your reasoning, just say "fallacy fallacy".

You can win any argument if you learn your fallacies.
>>
>>28497609
You know you've won when you are the last man standing.
>>
>>28498266
Are you that one anon from the religion thread from yesterday?
>>
forgot who said it but the ysaid don't argue to win argue to win over the crowd watching.

it's pretty true i've been the the logically correct one in arguments numerous of times but people will side with the more confident and attractive one which usually isn't me. sucks when it happens becuase there is nothing you can really do.
>>
File: 1444692330053.jpg (50 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1444692330053.jpg
50 KB, 384x384
>>28498621
>tfw you've never lost an argument on 4chan
>>
>>28499651
No, i dont get involved with religion.
>>
>>28497794
It happens on 4chan all the time. If you just cry loud enough long enough you have automatically won. You can't argue with stupid people. In no scenario can you win an argument against someone as stupid as the people that browse this website. In real life you can win arguments but on the internet people are just gonna reply with
>lmao
>lol
or something like that. They will bring you down to their level and destroy you because they have years of experience.

Also
>giving a fuck about online arguments
>>
>>28499708
>it's pretty true i've been the the logically correct one in arguments numerous of times but people will side with the more confident and attractive one which usually isn't me.
Protip: you can win this easily by just acting like you're amused by the idiocy of the other dude and pretending you're trying not to chuckle at every argument the other dude presents.
>>
>>28497609
>winning a discussion

Are you literally autistic? No wonder people think you're mentally ill.
>>
What do you do when he starts insulting you? Do you stay mature? Do you insult him back?

I feel like not insulting him is the right thing to do but when someone is insulting me and im not saying anything back i look like a pushover cuck.
>>
>>28499804
>pretending like you dont care about winning discussions
Oh come on mate. Thats like saying you dont fart.
>>
>bring up five in-depth points in an argument
>person responding only responds to one of them while completely ignoring the other four
>>
>>28499840
This. Many faggots' last resort is to say shit like "Listen man, I really don't care. It's X:00 in the morning here and I have X to do. Whatever. Bye."
>>
>>28499840
A discussion is not an argument.
>>
>>28499821
when someone stops arguing and starts insulting it's pointless to continue, you're no longer having a discussion at that point. you can take the high road or start flinging shit too, but whatever the original topic was is dead.

on the other hand if it's just insults with arguments, you can insult back or brush it off with a smiley face
>>
>>28497609
If you're trying to "win" discussions you're losing in a much more general sense.
>>
>>28499867
Point it out. Those are his weak points.
>>
>>28499886
honestly I couldn't care less about winning an argument. I just like to argue with people.
>>
>>28499886
Not true. Sometimes you really just need to go to sleep or something more urgent comes up. It's just that people here never accept this because they hate the concept of ending an argument in good faith.
>>
>>28499840
I think it's psychopathic and predatory to adopt positions just because you can "win" with them. You can convince people of lies if you're charismatic enough. "winning discussions" is for kids who grew up on call of duty culture.
>>
File: 1440304087809.jpg (54 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1440304087809.jpg
54 KB, 499x499
>shoot gun without ear protection
>severe tinnitus for 2 weeks and got used to it at week 3
>see displays of anyone holding a gun without ear protection and they're in a position of having to fire it any moment
>that guy has an assault rifle in a small enclosed location
So how deaf are any of these people who actually to shoot these guns? I will never in my life again be firing a gun without ear protection.
>>
>>28499821
Just flat out say something like "So you're not going to address any of the points I laid out and instead just insult me? Good to know you have nothing of value to add or respond with." usually with a snarky reaction image.

They'll usually persist with some insults but at that point you've basically "won".
>>
>>28497609
I was going to call you an autistic sperglord and tell you to calm the fuck down.

But, I remembered I get that kind of response when I point out that legal and available abortions have a positive effect on crime rates.
>>
>>28498332
You have to be dumb to make claims such as these.
>>
>>28497609
You win by not getting engaging in the first place, or by not caring. It's pointless to argue with people that spend all their time arguing online.
>>
File: 1459723852323.jpg (304 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459723852323.jpg
304 KB, 1800x1200
>winning an argument
>on the internet

You cannot win. People are able to disengage at any time to lick their wounds or devise mental acrobatics that they cannot pull off in person.

The closest thing you will get is a Pyrrhic victory in which the person chimps out or starts throwing buzzwords at you, but at that point everyone thinks you're an asshole so it's really not worth the trouble.
>>
>>28499950
Nope, if they call you a cuck and you don't get the last word you're seen as the loser.
>>
>>28499886
When people say that i like to rub it in that he lost. "Already giving up loser?". They will read it. Now you got him by the balls. He wants to reply but he cant because he already said he went for bed or whatever.

Even when i already won i will keep bumping the thread to show everyone that i won and assert my dominance. I love this shit.
>>
File: 1444448440975.png (128 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444448440975.png
128 KB, 1000x1000
>>28500000
nice get there friend
>>
>>28499943
Its just like a game to me. I want to destroy you guys. I love to be dominant on 4chan. It makes me feel like a tiger chasing down a helpless gazelle. I dont care if you call me autistic for this. Just being honest.
>>
>>28499821
>they throw in a few insults with their response
>insult them back
>oh wow immature much?
epic
>>
>>28500000
Q U I N T S
U
I
N
T
S
O R I G I N A L
>>
>>28500000
Then honestly what are you doing on 4chan?
>>
>>28497702
You don't win arguments on 4chan.
>>
>>28500184
sshitposting
>>
File: 1460660649792s.jpg (9 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
1460660649792s.jpg
9 KB, 250x235
>>28500000
ANON HOLY FUCK

CALM DOWN WITH THE Z E R O Q U I N T S FAMALAM
>>
>>28497609
If you are a man and they are a woman, you have won the discussion.
>>
>>28499742
>They will bring you down to their level and destroy you because they have years of experience.
Useless, but not stupid.
The stupid ones keep up the argument till the end without concession.
>>
>>28497609
that means you are probably correct, not that you won the discussion. the one who wins the discussion is the one who successfully frames it to the external world as them being correct, whether or not that holds up to scrutiny. if you outsmart a normie he will just say "you have mental issues" or drop some buzzword and you will have lost. because that's literally the definition of a normie, a person in line with social norms and therefore the winner.
>>
>>28500000
wow friendo broski senpai
>>
File: 1439347458874.jpg (70 KB, 448x473) Image search: [Google]
1439347458874.jpg
70 KB, 448x473
>>28500000
I mean, you're right.
But still.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (11 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
11 KB, 230x219
>openly defend Trump on normiebook even though all my "friends" are liberal cuckolds
>said "friends" are literally just people from high school I've never said more than a few words to
>going to kill myself soon so I don't really care what people think about me anymore
>ask people for literally a single instance in which Trump said or did something racist
>one smug little liberal faggot responds to me with a Buzzfeed article
>meticulously tear through that shit sentence by sentence and and tell him to fuck off
>another two libcucks decide to tag-team me
>literally stay up all night holding my ground
>BTFO one of them so hard that he stops addressing my counterargument completely and just makes fun of me for being depressed and tells me to die
>the other one just calls me a racist
>tell him to name literally a single instance in which I said or did something racist
>he can't
>>
File: show me nude bane.jpg (64 KB, 852x470) Image search: [Google]
show me nude bane.jpg
64 KB, 852x470
>>28500000
>You win by not getting

Ironic because you just won with this get, anon
>>
>>28500204
Yes you can.

If its a rational argument, you can win by refuting your opponents argument.
If its a flamewar, the last word wins.
If your opponent turns the argument into a flamewar, he has lost but he can break even by getting the last word flaming. Otherwise he lost twice and made himself look like an idiot.
In very rare occasions you can win by actually convincing your opponent. This is extremely rare but ive seen it happen.
>>
If you want to win an argument, you just have to get the last word in. That is all.
>>
File: 1441037980797 (1).jpg (13 KB, 201x237) Image search: [Google]
1441037980797 (1).jpg
13 KB, 201x237
>>28500344
>going on facebook
>ever
>>
>>28500442
So happy i never made an account anywhere. If you google my name nothing comes up.
>>
File: comfy.png (199 KB, 389x390) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
199 KB, 389x390
>>28500496
>tfw invincible to doxing
>>
File: 987251565_22ea2338dd.jpg (43 KB, 315x466) Image search: [Google]
987251565_22ea2338dd.jpg
43 KB, 315x466
>>28497609
Just in case you forgot
>>
>>28500550
Im okay with that. I would rather be retarded and win than normal and lose.
>>
>>28500496
To be honest, I did create a phony account for logging on to websites that I'm to lazy register for. I uploaded a bunch of 4chan images to it a while back and don't care if the account gets deleted.
>>
File: 1442397444246.jpg (53 KB, 225x255) Image search: [Google]
1442397444246.jpg
53 KB, 225x255
>>28500344
DEVILISHLY FIENDISH
>>
>>28500385
LOL /r9k/ standards for victory in a debate. Just because someone gets tired of your boorish behavior and cherry picking does not mean you are a winner. When you fail to make your case with a reasoned argument or logic and instead resort to name-calling in an attempt to force the other person to leave, you have not won anything but a pissing contest.
>>
When they get that glasses over look in their eyes and start appealing to their feeling as well as calling upon ancillary help from nearby friends.

A lot of people are arguing from feeling, it's why I never lose an argument.

That's it, look for emotion in their argument and attack it; they will crumble. I remember the first time I found this out, the guy's face looked like a deer in the head lights when I called him out. Now every time he sees me he is kind, humbled, He even hugged me once.

I never argue from emotion, only fact. I save the emotion for sickening them.
>>
>>28497609
if you're engaging in "the discussion" you already lost

lifes easier when you dont care
>>
>>28500727
This so much. Thats why stefan molyneux is so good. EVERYTHING he says he backs up with facts and statistics. Never show emotion, be autistic about it and you will win.
>>
>>28500738
Youre a loser. Youre not even trying to compete, thats how low you are.

And you cant respond to this because then you would be arguing which would be hypocritical. Sit the fuck down, boy.
>>
Only egotists care about winning arguments. Debates ought to be a means of learning. If the person you are arguing with says something you can't deny you should probably accept that what he is saying might be true instead of trying hide from the truth in order to satisfy your ego.
>>
God. Damn. Nice thread OP.

I feel like this thread sheds some light on things I've wanted people to come out and say on 4chan.

I come across arguments all the time on these fucking boards, and they're frustrating as hell to read, because of the sheer artistry and dedication to the debate on this site.

>Tfw someone on Normiebook, or face to face interaction tries to debate with you
>you end up having to hide your power level, from the years of experience you've gained figuratively disemboweling opinions on 4chan all day.
>>
>>28500715
I was just kidding. I agree with that.
>>
>>28500871
Exactly. Some of these people feel their pride dictates they *must* get the last word in, but that's really a very childish attitude. If ideas are no longer being shared or contested in a productive and meaningful way, it hardly matters who gets to shitpost last.
>>
>>28497727
It does mean that you're smarter than that person.
>>
>>28500912
Thanks. Its nice to be open and honest once in a while, we all know we just get in a hard shell in an argument.

I always get really insecure when in an argument. I always feel like its me against everyone in the thread when its just 1 guy. I never mean the insults i say. I just want to look confident and dominant but im not.
>>
The true goal of the internet argument, is to transcend argumentation.

To look past the feeble terms of discussion, and strip bare the soul of human condition.

Religion. Politics. Mindsets. They are dwarfed by our ego, and the nature of our being.
>>
You cannot learn from "heat of the moment" debates, real life or internet.
Neither can you if you know jack shit of the subject, some OPs lure people to discussions were they have all the knowledge just to boost their ego
And when some australian fuck calls their bullshit they bail out.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.