[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old were you when you dropped the belief of 'free will'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1455965704628.gif (709 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455965704628.gif
709 KB, 1200x1200
How old were you when you dropped the belief of 'free will'?
>>
>>28493163
Interesting GIF desu senpai..
>>
>>28493213
If i removed that reply would you die?
>>
>>28493449
It would be very painful.

KEKCKCKCKCKC
>>
>>28493988
For you.
WHIP WHIP
>>
It's not very practical to not believe in free will.
>>
>>28493163
I remember being around 14-15 when I just couldn't believe in it anymore. I had almost a week of sleepless nights as I slowly came to accept my complete lack of agency.

>>28495293
Cognitive dissonance helps, absurdism helps.
>>
>>28493163
About 18 (extremely late, I know, but I'm literally retarded) that I first had a semi-related inkling (namely, that everyone always chooses what's the most favourable outcome at the moment), but the chain of thought that made me interested in and understand the subject (for instance, that >>28495293 is wrong and rejection of free will would largely sanitize the society) began at 22 or so.
>>
Libertarian reporting in. Ask me anything and i will refute it.
>>
>>28495489
Also.

>Cognitive dissonance

I know nothing about absurdism and from the sound of it it isn't a very parsimonious idea, but c.d. isn't required to deal with nonexistence of free will. Instead, you should apply the robustness principle, a kind of agental solipsism or something: act as if you were the only person in the world with f.w. This will help you feel responsible for others' happiness while avoiding the (already implausible) danger of becoming lazy.
>>
>>28495594
Meant to quote >>28495435, blox.
>>
Started doubting it around 16, legitimately quit believing in it (and quit pretending to believe in it) at 25.

Between those times I had kind of a "free will doesn't exist but we all need to pretend it does" mindset. That sucked.

It's a lot better for me just not pretending. I don't need free will to be happy. In fact, believing in it was a barrier to being happy.
>>
>>28493163
When I couldn't will a gf into existence.
>>
>>28495591

Succinctly define "free will" in your own words and then show a logically sound argument proving its existence.
>>
>>28493163
>Also.
About 20
Psychiatry itself proves it can't exist. There's also neuroendocrinology(which proves you can fuck with hormones and make people do shit), genetics(proving we have a hard wired way of thinking), and so much more. Only the religious still believe it
>>
>>28495660
Wrong already. Free will non probandum est. People don't seem to understand (granted, I'm the only person I've seen explain this) that (rejection/embrace) of free will is just your preferred thinking/'thinking' mode, whether you humbly relate your behaviour to past nature and nurture or whether you vainly attribute all success to yourself as though you weren't just a brain that has been shaped by factors in the past.
>>
How old were you when you realized you could just believe whatever the hell you wanted to believe and no one could really stop you?
>>
>>28495742
>>28495660
In other words, one can 'prove' free will no better than one can prove, say, believing that 'science is not everything'. It's just a belief that people have. True, scientific proving of hypotheses only begins when you reject f.w.
>>
>>28495742
>>28495796
In short, rejection of free will is simply not holding oneself above scientific study, not insisting that your actions are somehow impossible to trace to circumstance. It's just basic modesty.
>>
>>28495660
Free will for me means that everyone can do whatever they want without interfering other peoples lives. I heavily believe in the non aggression principle.

I am not saying we currectly have a free will, but we should.

Gary johnson for president.
>>
>>28495911

...When you said "libertarian" I thought you were talking about metaphysical libertarianism, not political libertarianism.
>>
>>28495952
Whats the difference..?
Libertarianism is my ideology in every sense, not just politically.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.