[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /shit at math/ here? i dropped out of college because i told
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 17
File: 1460353262817.png (347 KB, 628x719) Image search: [Google]
1460353262817.png
347 KB, 628x719
who /shit at math/ here?
i dropped out of college because i told my old man that i wanted to work first but i really did it because i know i'll get fucking destroyed by calc 101 or whatever
autist savants need not post, no one gives a fuck
>>
low iq retard lol
>>
File: 1405533444236s.jpg (8 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1405533444236s.jpg
8 KB, 250x242
whatever, yes, i know
>>
math is easy, there is an answer for every question
unraveling the mysterious of life, death, and the history of man kind on the other hand...
>>
I feel you brah dropped two units in physics this semester because of maths. I don't want to spend 11 hours thinking about a question just to finally write 10 lines of equations. It just takes me too long to comprehend half the shit in math and apply it.
>>
>>28480804
If it was a small class size I could probably go into pretty advanced math, but most uni math classes are 30+ people and the professor moves too fast with a jarring lack of visual/hands on support to make up for lost comprehension. Not to mention many math classes push questions on you in tests that purposefully distort the material in ways that would never occur in a practical application, making much of the grade just about being anal and checking your work over and over with a magnifying glass.
>>
>>28480804

>be me
>math was passed by failing the test for the first time, then you know the questions and pass second time.
>love biology/chem/phy
>really good at bio, moderately at chem, less so in phy (observe how calculus ratio increases towards the end)

>idea! medicine has no calculus!
>mfw now I am math free for life
>>
>C in almost every math class in middle school and high school
>Math 126 - memorized stuff right before tests and got highest scores in class each time
>Forget things almost immediately after
>Get D on final and go from A to C
>Taking Math 127 for the third time this summer because I didn't pass last semester and the semester before
>First time I dropped out immediately following first class day because teacher was old senile hag who I knew wasn't going to teach me shit
>Second time was online and dumb bitch gave way too much work and you basically taught yourself
>Third time's the charm I hope
>I am in Computer Science btw
>>
File: 1462697006750.jpg (227 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
1462697006750.jpg
227 KB, 1944x2592
>>28480804
We're in the same boat you and me, I dropped out because astronomy has math in it and was to retarded to do it on front of others.
>>
>>28480860
>implying it can be done
>>
>Ace every maths test in middle and high school
>Get to uni
>Can't deal with proofs and shit
>Fail maths classes

I took the maths I failed again next year and pwned it though somehow, CS major
>>
>>28480804
Really stay out of any math related field. Stop devaluing STEM degrees.
>>
File: 1439012612361.jpg (107 KB, 1040x1055) Image search: [Google]
1439012612361.jpg
107 KB, 1040x1055
>>28480804
I could not grasp the concept of algebra. Through the 4 years of learning algebra throughout hs, I learned nothing and matrices was the only thing I actually got.

I don't go to college because of this and barely and I mean fucking barely passed 12th grade at the last day doing an online remedial math course.

I mean it when I say this. Math and algebra especially legitimately fucking triggers me. It really does. I get intimidated at the thought of having to solve a basic algebraic equation.
>>
File: 1462580750904.png (736 KB, 2967x948) Image search: [Google]
1462580750904.png
736 KB, 2967x948
>>28480804
I had to change majors because I was so shit at math, I failed calc 1, 3 times and wrecked my gpa and cs degree chances. I have no idea why I couldn't pass it either I passed all of my high school math with an A, and my college algebra with a B, then I got to calc and it's like I hit a wall no matter what I did I just couldn't get it.
>>
File: 1441512355759.jpg (53 KB, 816x812) Image search: [Google]
1441512355759.jpg
53 KB, 816x812
You're a genius compared to me. I can't do simple multiplication or division.
>>
File: kage.jpg (20 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
kage.jpg
20 KB, 640x360
>Grade 9 Applied Math Mark = 59% first term, 63% second term

>Grade 10 Applied Math Mark = 52% first term, n/a cause I had surgery and missed the whole thing

>Grade 11 Applied Math Mark = 3% first term, up to 45% which got rounded up by my teacher as he saw I had a 100% in my only other course

Needless to say, calculus isn't my strong point. Hell, simple addition and subtraction can mess me up, let alone division as a whole. Least I kinda have multiplication tables down. Trying to work out literally anything I can't count on my fingers is massively difficult for me. Apparently IQ means jack-shit when it comes to math, I swear I'm some kind of reverse-savant when it comes to that crap.

So yeah OP, I feel the pain.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 259x259) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 259x259
>Differentials
The beginning of the end for a bright high school student
>>
>>28481712
>>28481086
>>28480804

There must be something that you missed early on because of a shit teacher.
>>
>>28480953
>taking comp sci
>shit at math

you deserve this idiot
>>
>>28481793
Hey, easy there fella.
>>
>be good at math as a kid
>12 y/o realizes math is all abstractions and is not real
>"this shit is fuggin useless XDD"
>slowly close myself to math
>high school, discover marijuana
>neuroplasticity = 0
>not give a fuck in math classes
>think humanities is my destiny
>after my first class of philosophy i realize it is useless and that STEM are the philosophy of the future
>want to go STEM
>dont know any math
kill me
i dont even have math at what im majoring in but i feel subhuman now
>>
I'm 19 and I'm still slow as fuck at math. I tried to suicide by OD twice and figured out I suck at that. So now I gotta get my GED nig tests done soon. GOOD LUCK FELLOW MATH TARDS.
>>
>>28481778
Admittedly, I missed a LOT of stuff (school didn't go well for me, specifics are long and kinda dull), so I have no doubt I missed the basics of a lot of stuff, but apparently I missed a lot more then I originally thought. From Grade 1 to the time I graduated, I never scored about a 70% in math. Not in anything. Not even ONE test, and I know that 'cause the schools kept track of that fact, and mentioned it a few times when I was being especially difficult for them. Every class I actually understood, I wouldn't drop below 90%. Hell, I even made honor roll the year I got a 3% (god bless autoshop and co-ops).

So yeah, school is weird and I don't understand anything they do.
>>
>tfw do 0 zero homework in calc and never pay attention and still get B's, even without reading or studying
>Still humanities major
Fuck STEM, bunch of boring autists
>>
File: Kurt_gödel.jpg (22 KB, 212x270) Image search: [Google]
Kurt_gödel.jpg
22 KB, 212x270
>>28480860
>there is an answer for every question
>>
I was always shit at math and now I'm even worse as I went to community college avoiding anything math related and now NEET not finished with college but still not doing anytning math related.

Simple multiplication and division is hard for me for fucks sake.

I can't do any mental math at all, I cant picture fucking equations and shit in my head, I still use my fingers for counting down and up because other then paper and pen theres no way to retain that shit in my mind, I will lose whatever mental number construct I visualized as soon as I lose focus.

I think I have dyscalculia which is dyslexia for math-

>Difficulty reading analog clocks
>Difficulty stating which of two numbers is larger
>Inability to comprehend financial planning or budgeting, sometimes even at a basic level; for example, estimating the cost of the items in a shopping basket or balancing a checkbook
>Difficulty with multiplication-tables, and subtraction-tables, addition tables, division tables, mental arithmetic, etc.
>Difficulty with conceptualizing time and judging the passing of time. May be chronically late or early
>Problems with differentiating between left and right
>Inability to visualize mentally
>Difficulty reading musical notation
>Difficulty with choreographed dance steps
>Difficulty working backwards in time, (e.g. What time to leave if needing to be somewhere at 'X' time)
>Difficulty comprehending things relating to occurrences in different time zones
>Difficulty navigating or mentally "turning" the map to face the current direction rather than the common North=Top usage
>Having particular difficulty mentally estimating the measurement of an object or distance (e.g., whether something is 10 or 20 feet (3 or 6 meters) away).
>Inability to grasp and remember mathematical concepts, rules, formulae, and sequences
>Inability to concentrate on mentally intensive tasks
>Mistaken recollection of names. Poor name/face retrieval. May substitute names beginning with same letter.
>>
>>28482168
Most of the symptoms in that list apply to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

I've probably had this all my life and no one ever bothered to find out or cared further than just thinking I was bad at math because lazy or just didnt want to do it. But its much more than that, when I brought it up in High school to my teachers when I first learned of it they treated it like a meme disorder, and just thought I was making excuses for not wanting to learn.

Already struggled with fucking middle school level math and fractions and shit but the high school level algebra, especially trig was too much for me and I just stopped caring completely, all I did was draw and doodle shit in class figuring I might as well git gud with drawing because I will never even be slightly compotent in math.

All my algebra and trig regents scores were 40-50%, if I want to learn anything in college that requires math I need to take like 3 remedial courses, fuck that shit.
>>
File: 1462253268517.png (290 KB, 816x720) Image search: [Google]
1462253268517.png
290 KB, 816x720
>take IQ test from certified psychiatrist
>told I have mathematical learning disability

Is this a nice way of saying my IQ is 50?

kill me
>>
>>28483057
You wouldn't be able to post if it was 50.
Seems odd to diagnose a math specific disability from generic IQ test.
>>
File: 1460568631532.png (177 KB, 367x321) Image search: [Google]
1460568631532.png
177 KB, 367x321
>>28482168
Holy fuck, same. I am shit with time, still have trouble telling time on analog clocks. I can't believe I haven't heard this before... but then again we'll probably never be taken seriously like dyslexia, we're just lazy and stupid I guess. Even though I'm good at pretty much any other subject, be it biology, writing, history, art, geography etc as long as it doesn't involve doing fucking math. Fuck, we are so fucked, math is literally the basis of getting good jobs unless you're a turbo-chad salesman. I need to get on autismbux.
>>
File: 1458579151632.png (391 KB, 473x629) Image search: [Google]
1458579151632.png
391 KB, 473x629
>>28483109
The test took like 3-5 hours, and there were math questions as well as English questions involved.

Not sure if that's part of a regular IQ test or if that was added in. I whizzed through the English portion, English and writing/reading have always been my specialty. Math, not so much. I barely grasp multiplication tables.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (17 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
17 KB, 500x327
>>28483144
Oh, sounds like you're retarded when it comes to math I guess. Don't let it get you down.
>>
>>28483190
But anon, that would automatically make me pretty retarded, wouldn't it? It seems that it would indicate a certain lack of logical reasoning
>>
>>28480804
I love math. I'm terrible at it though. I think my problem is not math but that it requires constant practice.

>mfw stats class
>know I'm shit at math
>study like I have never studied before
>get B+
>proud as hell

Too bad I can't do that for all my classes and had to change my major because I didn't have the gradepoint in math required for my major. I got barely passed my last requirement after 3 tries but it was too late.
>>
I am an autistic NEET, college dropout, with an IQ of 105, self studied for calculus 1 and 2, and passed these exam with 80%

http://www.math.purdue.edu/php-scripts/courses/oldexams/serve_file.php?file=16200FE-F2002.pdf

http://www.math.purdue.edu/php-scripts/courses/oldexams/serve_file.php?file=16600FE-S1999.pdf

Just keep trying, OP.
>>
>be good at math
>memory goes to shit
>couldn't remember the steps to long division
>whatever lesson I mindlessly stared at for 2 weeks was forgotten
>dropped out of HS knowing I'd never pass

Fucking kill me.
>>
File: 1458364164259.jpg (21 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1458364164259.jpg
21 KB, 400x388
>>28480804
>tfw passed calc with a C
>highest calc requirements

feels good man
>>
>>28483286
but what happens if i don't want to?
why would i force myself to do what i don't want to do, instead of not doing that?
like fuck i've tried math so many times, tried to do it with a tutor, independently, whatever. i just give up. i can't do it. fuck i'm depressed.
>>
Just cheat bro
>tfw just got an A- in a calc III class because I cheated on the final and whatever grade you get on the final is your grade in the class if it's higher
>>
File: whats in the box.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
whats in the box.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
48/2(9+3) = ?
First person to get it right gets whats inside
>>
I am a literal fucking retard who is at this moment taking high school level math courses at 22.
>>
>>28483583

fuck i got muted lol
>>
One word
Yes
>>
>>28483583
There is no answer because the question is not clearly defined
Both (48/2)*(9+3) and 42/(2*(9+3)) are correct

350 replies later....
>>
>>28483625
nope on all accounts
>>28483655
silence troll
>>
>>28480804
I took calc 3 times. Failed 2 times, got an A the third time. You just have to keep trying. Find the right teacher.
>>
>>28483550
I don't know if you are a normie but maybe you can answer this. Why do so many normies cheat? Like blatantly pull out cell phones and cheat. They never get caught either.
>>
>>28483583
2 or 288
>>
>>28483688
To pass?
I'm not as blatant as everyone else, they're all pretty fucking bold somehow and just use it in their lap.
I just do it inside my jacket, glad we don't have classes when it's hot.
>>
>>28483714
gettin closer
>>
>>28483407
Are you me?I just passed this semester. We are about to get rekted in calc 2,I hope not.I'm taking it in the fall.I am studying ahead like a mad man.I don't want passing calc 1 to go to waste
>>
File: 5.5.gif (1018 KB, 400x251) Image search: [Google]
5.5.gif
1018 KB, 400x251
>>28480804

>pretty good at math in high school
>always felt like it was highly intuitive and I never had to do much work to understand everything
>aced the exam with something like 85-90%
>started a Physics degree which involves Math modules
>immediately started struggling with it even though it's not much different from high school stuff
>failed 2nd semester of first year
>didn't even attend the exam because I knew there was zero chance of me passing
>resitting the same course this semester
>feeling way more confident this time
>things are starting to make sense
>got to exam and still found it hard as fuck despite putting in a lot of effort this time

I am just terrible at problem solving. I can do all the fundamentals, but in the exam questions I just can't figure out how to break down a question into the fundamentals. After failing the first exam last year as well as the resit, I was broken. Somehow I actually enjoy math now though and want to understand it desu.
>>
Math is literally cold logic, A slots into B and that's it - once you accept that it is a zero sum game you'll find it far easier. I prefer applied maths like thermodynamics, mechanics, physics, electrical/electronic principles so you can "See" the math in action as opposed to pure maths where it's up in the air. That's why most people struggle when it comes to maths and claim they are not "Mathematically minded" they just struggle to accept that a is a.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.