[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /r9k/-approved films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16
File: Donnie_Darko_poster.jpg (38 KB, 268x392) Image search: [Google]
Donnie_Darko_poster.jpg
38 KB, 268x392
ITT: /r9k/-approved films
>>
thats normalfag tumblr shit
>>
File: 347221-the-silence-of-the-lambs.jpg (356 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
347221-the-silence-of-the-lambs.jpg
356 KB, 1000x1500
>>28478170
jgfkodkdgjkifdgfidksl
>>
>>28478186
Care to share your films and contribute to the thread then?
>>
File: leon.jpg (121 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
leon.jpg
121 KB, 1600x1200
this one is pretty /r9k/ approved i would say
>>
>>28478170
I still don't understand that movie.
>>
>>28478281
what the fuck is so complicated about it?

if you didn't understand it after you watched it, were you not interested enough to read about it online?
>>
>>28478186
still a good movie
>>
What's eating Gilbert grape
>>
>story about a robot who becomes human
JUST
>>
File: 220px-Piposter.jpg (20 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
220px-Piposter.jpg
20 KB, 220x330
Anyone else a fan?
>>
>>28478281
You have to watch it at least twice to fully understand it.

Or you could just be lazy and read one of the many explanations online:
http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/

Many scenes in the film can be interpreted in different ways, depends on what you think.
>>
>>28478186
but I like that movie, it's at least interesting
>>28478281
I'm pretty sure the main character is essentially caught in a time loop, so he might have already lived this experience at least once
what people think is schizophrenia is actually echoes from a future he has already experienced, but no one else can see because they have not experienced it yet.
instead of reliving the pain of it, he goes back in time and decides to end it before it starts and effectively close the time loop, sparing those who would suffer as well

Am I wrong? I'm not sure
>>
>>28478343
Pi made me learn how to play Go.

10/10
>>
>>28478469
Kind of:

It's more of a one-time alternative reality than a time loop. The movie starts with Donnie already in this alternative reality. Donnie hasn't experienced it before, but is guided by Frank (rabbit dude) to set off a chain of events (e.g. flooding the school so that Donnie meets his girlfriend, Gretchen etc.) so that he (and everyone else) can be returned to the normal reality.

Also:

At the ending of the film, when Donnie is lying in bed again, the alternative reality has gone, so there's no need for him to kill himself. This part is left to the viewer's interpretation, I believe he likely kills himself as when he's in the alternative reality, Donnie learns to overcome fear, and that he would be much happier dead

Sorry if that was confusing or long-winded, I could go on for A LOT longer.
>>
>>28478684
Here is the #1 thing I never really got about the movie (I'm the guy you responded to)
Why frank? What is special about Frank?
How does Frank from later in the movie play into all of this?
Does Gretchen tie it together because he led Donnie to meet Gretchen, and he killed Gretchen?
>>
>>28478469
>>28478684
Hmm. This makes sense.
>>
Taxi Driver
Adaptation
Castaway on the Moon

Synecdoche, New York and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are good too but not sure they qualify as robotcore
>>
>>28478343
Came here to post this. Fantastic movie.
>>
Anybody know any good found footage horror films? Excluding the Paranormal Activity movies, I've seen everything I need to see from those.
>>
>>28478852
>Castaway on the Moon
holy shit someone else actually watched this movie

I love that movie so much
>>
Office Space
Napoleon Dynamite
Fight Club
Brazil
>>
File: 2132.jpg (23 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
2132.jpg
23 KB, 533x477
Taxi Driver because OBLIGATORY
>>
>>28479595
>good found footage horror
Doesn't exist. It's a boring and lazy genre. The least worst I've seen was [REC] (original Spanish version), which at least had higher production values than most.
>>
>>28479676
I wouldn't say that. Afflicted and the first two VHS movies are pretty good. "Safe Haven" from VHS 2 is probably the pinnacle of the genre, shit's insane.
>>
File: nightcrawler-54ccfa2acb238.jpg (20 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
nightcrawler-54ccfa2acb238.jpg
20 KB, 236x354
If it bleeds it leads.
>>
Ex drummer

Un homme qui dort

These are patrician level robot kino
>>
File: robotcore.jpg (2 MB, 2400x2141) Image search: [Google]
robotcore.jpg
2 MB, 2400x2141
required robot watching

originalus commentius
>>
>>28479792
Lost in Translation is normalfag garbage. It's literally a movie about boring people being bored. It also has the worst ending of all time. Strongly robot disapproved.
>>
>>28479823

>I watched LiT when I was 13 and didn't get it because I was a retarded little faggot please rape my face

ftfy
>>
File: theylivewesleep.jpg (99 KB, 568x320) Image search: [Google]
theylivewesleep.jpg
99 KB, 568x320
They Live is a robot movie, in my opinion
>man who can't find himself, doesn't really know what he wants
>has plenty of hope
>tries to fit into several places, but doesn't stick around for too long
>ends up finding out how shit the world around him is, and how it's a massive conspiracy is true
>struggles to change it
>dies doing so
>no regrets
>>
>>28479876
Your "superior taste" would be better appreciated in /mu/.
>>
The Comedy / Naked

literally pepe the movie
>>
>>28478336
Seriously, one of the most boring films I have ever watched.
>>
File: hikikomori nippon.jpg (113 KB, 829x622) Image search: [Google]
hikikomori nippon.jpg
113 KB, 829x622
Anyone know of any Hikikomori/shut-in/NEET movies?
>>
>>28479888
literally nothing to do with "robots" or the lifestyle implied there in.
i love the movie though.
>>
>>28479595
Grave encounters 1 was decent, also Noroi
>>
>>28480737
Castaway on the moon is perfect for this.
>>
>>28479792
The Quiet Earth is garbage. Great idea, terribly executed.
>>
The Science of Sleep
most realistic "love" story i've ever seen in any movie. protip: the guy gets friendzoned and the ending is ambiguous as fuck.
>>
>>28478170

Donnie Darko is a movie for gamer girls

I'm cringing
>>
>>28479792
Do you know where I could watch that happiness movie ? Ive been wanting to watch it for a while
>>
Basketball Diaries
>>
Winnebago Man
>>
>>28481255

check netflix
>>
File: Rorschach.jpg (543 KB, 564x888) Image search: [Google]
Rorschach.jpg
543 KB, 564x888
I loved watchman, mostly because of rorschach.
>>
>>28481588
>loving the watchmen film
groce
>>
>>28481230
I'm cringing at your autism. "It's for gamer girls" isn't a legitimate criticism of the film and it's not even a coherent statement.
>>
>>28479792
>I Stand Alone
This is the most robotic movie I can think of, literally an autistic one-man beta uprising before that was even a concept

On the subject of Noe, Enter the Void rinds me of the drug threads and late-night "my life is a wreck" threads here. Probably my favorite movie, anyone else like it?
>>
File: Willard_1971.jpg (57 KB, 360x560) Image search: [Google]
Willard_1971.jpg
57 KB, 360x560
Basically a movie about a robot who makes friends with a bunch of rats

>>28478343
I can dig
>>
>>28481762
Love the Crispin Glover version gotta watch the original thanks!
>>
>>28478251
Because of the pedophilia?
>>
>>28481536
Not on there. It isnt anywhere kms
>>
>no One Hour Photo

Quintessential wagecuck autist robot.
>>
>>28479792
Happiness
God I nearly forgot about that movie.
ABSOLUTELY an r9k movie
>>
>>28478756
Hi, just had a quick sleep:
Frank is only one of two characters that dies in the alternate universe (the other, of course, being Gretchen.). Frank acts sort of like a reverse ghost - helping out Donnie before he's killed. The philosophy of time travel states that Anyone connected to the Living Receiver [Donnie] who dies in the TU [means alternative reality] becomes Manipulated Dead [what Frank is, he has a vague idea of the impending disaster, and where to guide Donnie to fix it]. Donnie already knew Frank prior to the accident, as Frank was his sister's boyfriend before dying

To answer your second question, living Frank (guy driving the red car) is highly important. Because of Frank running over Gretchen near the end, Donnie decides to shoot Frank (Donnie and Gretchen were in a very strong relationship prior to Gretchen getting run over, having sex mere hours before her death). Without Frank being shot at the end, he would never have appeared in Donnie's dreams, therefore preventing Donnie from figuring out how to fix and get out of this alternate universe

Yeah, that's her reason for being connected to Donnie. She basically acts as a catalyst for Donnie deciding to shoot Frank.

Another thing to think about, is that once everything gets fixed and set back to the normal reality, some characters have vague thoughts about what happened to them in the alternative reality (e.g. Frank touching his eye, indicating that he remembers getting shot). When the opening sequence plays out again at the end of the film, Frank drops off Donnie's sister at her house again. However, he beeps his car horn to warn Donnie to get out of bed. This ending is ambiguous, but I believe that Donnie is aware of his impending death, and decides to take his own life and not respond to Frank's warning at the end

Hopefully I explained this clearly, let me know if I didn't.
>>
>>28478251
Got me to understand my feelings toward loli

I love natalieportman 13 years old

This pic speaks volumes to me
>>
>>28478186
You must browse tumblr that's the only way you would know
>>
>>28482270
One hour photo is on my favorite 10 movie
>>
I think a lot of you guys would like Gentleman Broncos

I can personally relate to a lot of stuff.
>>
>>28479876
What exactly is there to get?
>>
>>28480737
suicide room
>>
File: take-shelter.jpg (361 KB, 880x1173) Image search: [Google]
take-shelter.jpg
361 KB, 880x1173
made by someone who understands robots
>>
>>28478170
Meh movie
>>28478196
Great movie but woudn't call it required r9k watching
>>28478251
Great movie, guess its r9k cause of the pedophilia type stuff
>>28478343
Was actually planning on watching this this week
>>28479668
Of course
>>28479726
Great movie but a sociopath doesn't automatically make it r9k related
>>
>>28479888
>discovers conspiracy
>tries to change it

i think you're confusing /r9k/ with /pol/
>>
>>28478481
i just started trying to learn, i can only play online at the moment, it makes it so much harder to get into.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.