[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Love and regret: mothers who wish they’d never had children
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Motherhood Regret.jpg (30 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Motherhood Regret.jpg
30 KB, 620x372
>"I don't think it was worth it." Tammy is a mother who wishes she hadn't been. "Don't get me wrong, I love my kids. But it comes at a huge cost; mentally, emotionally and physically."

>Writing anonymously on feminist website the Vagenda, Tammy says: "My body was ruined, I had to have surgeries later in life to repair what was done to me by forcing an almost 9lb child through my body. And worse yet, it seems as though expressing this honestly makes me a monster ... It seems as tyough your entire self becomes nothing more than a functional enabler for your kids' success."
>So why do women regret having children? "Motherhood is no longer an all-encompassing role for women now, it can be a secondary role, or you don't have to choose it," says Toni Morrison in Andrea O'Reilly's Motherhood: A Politics of the Heart.

>But, she adds, "It was the most liberating thing that ever happened to me." For Morrison, and countless others, "the children's demands on me were things that nobody ever asked me to do. To be a good manager. To have a sense of humour. To deliver something that somebody could use. And they were not interested in all the things that other people were interested in, like what I was wearing or if I were sensual. If you listen to [your children], somehow you are able to free yourself from baggage and vanity and all sorts of things, and deliver a better self, one that you like."

>Across cultures and continents, society projects this ideal of motherhood, placing a premium on why mothering matters so much, with a list of things mums must not do: smoke, have casual sex, work instead of taking maternity leave. The biggest taboo, however, is when a mother says that she regrets becoming one at all. Which is why the debate around viral hashtag #regrettingmotherhood has become so intense in recent weeks.

Continued:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/may/09/love-regret-mothers-wish-never-had-children-motherhood
>>
>>28473767
>"It seems as though your entire self becomes nothing more than a functional enabler for your kids' success."
Sound about right. And exactly how it's supposed to be.

Modern women expect to have everything.
>>
>>28473802

>Sound about right. And exactly how it's supposed to be.

Do you expect the same from fathers, too, or is this just sexism?

Is a father's greatest responsibility towards his kids, even at the expense of his own happiness?
>>
>>28474049
>men and women are exactly the same!
I wish this meme would end

Also, it'd fucking suck to have your mom declare that she regrets giving birth to you
>>
>>28474105

>men and women are exactly the same!

never said that, and you didn't answer my question.
>>
>>28474105

>Also, it'd fucking suck to have your mom declare that she regrets giving birth to you

well lots of people here say they resent having been created.
>>
>>28474049
>Is a father's greatest responsibility towards his kids, even at the expense of his own happiness?
Yes
>>
>>28473767
FUCKING RETARDED PARENTS DON'T HAVE FUCKING KIDS IF YOU AREN'T PREPARED HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU WANT THEM TO END UP POSTING ON /R9K/ WHEN THEY GROW UP DO YOU?!?
>>
>>28474049
Of course it's also his greatest responsibility. Why wouldn't it be?

When you become a parent you become a parent.
>>
>>28474162

I can respect your lack of hypocrisy on this matter.

What are your thoughts on the rampant problem of fatherlessness in the US, especially in the Black community?
>>
>>28474049
One of a father's primary responsibilities is the wellbeing of his family, yes, including his kids

>above his own happiness
'Happiness' is like fifth or sixth. If people lived for the sake of being happy, /r9k/ wouldn't even exist
>>
>>28473767
absolutely fucking disgusting, their parents probably regret having those shitstains as well
>>
>>28474049
yes it is, a persons greatest responsibility should never be their own happiness. this seems like something you shouldn't have to ask
>>
>>28475084

>a persons greatest responsibility should never be their own happiness

Why not, though?

People say you're RESPONSIBLE for your own happiness. So why shouldn't it be the greatest responsibility?
>>
>>28475151
if your personal happiness is what you consider your greatest responsibility then you will have a tough time achieving personal happiness, especially in the long run, so even if you want to be happy this is just dumb to do. putting aside selfish desires, you shouldn't consider yourself so important and great that you dedicate your life to simply being happy, this is a pathetic waste of a life that could otherwise have been used for amazing things
>>
>>28475151
you're responsible for contributing to the race.

your race is responsible for contributing to you.

the truth that americans won't admit is that we are all responsible for each other's happiness. no one is happy on a desert island, isolated from others. We need what others can give us and they need what we can give them.

"you are responsible for your own happiness" is satanic. That's the logic of a tormentor. That's the same as "stop hitting yourself"
>>
>>28474105
It does, my friend ;_;
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.