[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning skills thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: damn.gif (2 MB, 540x303) Image search: [Google]
damn.gif
2 MB, 540x303
ITT we talk about shit we're learning/want to learn.

Bonus question: if you want to learn a lot of different things but have limited time, what do you pick?
>>
>>28469139
Usually I block out my day beginning with something analytical (math, programming) then moving into something more intuitive as the day goes on (design, music, visual arts).

When I was working a shit job and only had one block of free time I would instead have phases throughout the year. So like 4 months analytical then 4 intuitive or similar weekly allocations if I wanted to mix things up.
>>
>>28469503
How many hours do you work per day? Seems like it requires some time to do multiple of these things in a day.
>>
File: 60.png (697 KB, 617x650) Image search: [Google]
60.png
697 KB, 617x650
I, OP, shall reply as well. Here's what I want:
>become a better programmer
>become good at meditating (less anxiety, more living in the moment I hope)
>learn some basic medicine so I can treat myself if shit happens
>learn how to hunt/catch animals without guns, and other /out/ stuff
>git gud at the guitar
>learn how to start a successful business so I can have passive income while doing actual fun stuff (biggest obstacle)

Come on niggas let's go.
>>
>>28469139
Starting my NEET life in a few months.
I want to learn drawing and japanese.
>>
>>28470131
You're the weeb stereotype, family. Good luck.
>>
Bumping loud for self-improvement
>>
>>28469139
I'm learning Japanese right now purely because I'm interested in the country and its culture. I don't watch anime.
>>
>>28469139
What I really want to learn is how to get a cute girlfriendo desu.
>>
>>28471003
>I don't watch anime.
I don't believe you.

Doesn't matter, how's Japanese going? How long have you been learning?
>>
>>28469139
I've got my thermo final next thursday, starting my review today
>>
>>28469139
Meditation (especially zhan zhuang a chinese standing beditation)
Breathing techniques
Cold training
Stretching and physical training

Trying to become a better person, may also learn something more like arts or music too, but I'll do that later.
>>
I'm trying to learn not to dress like a complete retard.

I've only just found out men shouldn't wear white socks. What else have I been doing wrong?
>>
>>28471113
Doesn't seem too hard from what I hear:
>get /fit/
>dress decently
>read up on attraction and whatnot (anything from mainstream "jus b urself" all the way to redpill/pua and use whatever helps
>socialize a lot until you're not afraid of approaching new people
>talk to girls every day
>gauge their reactions and find out which of your behaviors cause them to act positively
>find a girl who isn't a complete lunatic
>talk to her
>if you like her talk more and go out

On second thought, that sounds pretty hard. Idk mate, jus b urself.
>>
>>28471475
I don't even have white socks but I wouldn't mind wearing them. Why is this a problem?
>>
File: musical_instruments.jpg (58 KB, 470x337) Image search: [Google]
musical_instruments.jpg
58 KB, 470x337
I want to learn how to orchestrate using piano and paper. So i'm listening to music and reading the scores in order to memorize the sounds of the instruments in my head. That's what they tell you to do so i hope it'll work.
>>
>>28471418
Dude I want to become better at this physical stuff too, both for inner peace and outer strength. Unfortunately I keep stalling. I really need it too, because it's my last resort before I legitimately go nuts from anxiety.
>>
>>28471568
Do you mean getting perfect pitch?
>>
>>28471552
I don't know, apparently it's a fashion faux pas. They are only supposed to be worn for athletic events.
>>
I have gotten back into drawing after an eight year hiatus, so obviously my skill has dropped a bunch since sadly it is like a muscle that you always have to work on. Sometimes I do it at home, but I mostly do my sketching to learn to become better during my breaks at work (two breaks and a lunch). Other than that I wanted to learn an instrument so I picked up the bass and tried to set aside some time. The biggest hurdle so far is actually managing my time effectively. Getting enough sleep, getting my chores done, and then properly utilizing that block of time instead of masturbating or well being on 4chan.

I eventually want to squeeze in jogging but that is once I have a more consistent time I wake up at along with following through with practice, so slow and steady.
>>
>>28471003
watching anime will help tbqh
>>
File: kotomine.png (440 KB, 703x800) Image search: [Google]
kotomine.png
440 KB, 703x800
>>28471649
Eh, I'm even more autistic than that. I think this guy's outfit would look cool (obviously only if I had his body, and maybe with black pants instead of red). I'm too far gone, save yourself while it's possible.
>>
File: rfgd876.jpg (768 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
rfgd876.jpg
768 KB, 1920x2560
>>28469139
>how to make my obsessive/intrusive thoughts/urges bother me less through exposure and response prevention therapy
>how to raise and care for carnivorous plants in addition to expanding my knowledge of the care and maintenance of cacti and succulents
>how to cook better even though I'm already pretty experienced
>anatomy
>physiology
>pathology
>forensics of all of the above
>tons of math
>digital art
>coloring
>general creative projects like improving my sewing, using ribbon, styling wigs, fabric painting, etc.

Despite all of this I still feel like a useless, lazy sack of shit. Does anything make that feel go away?

Pic related, my cacti and succulent buddies.
>>
hypnosis and self-hypnosis
I want that trance shit yo
>>
>>28471742
This dude dresses and looks like literal South European douchebags. He even has the fucking cross necklace thing going on. He's the opposite of aesthetic and pleasing. He looks offensive.

For fashion related enquiries, go to /fa/ and knock yourself out. Read the sticky.
>>
>>28469139
Learn the things which get you closest to getting a million dollars in a mutual fund. Effectively allowing you to pay yourself a $70k salary to do nothing.
>>
currently learning python
in addition some work related certificate stuff
also im saving 100 euro to buy some ram for a old server i got from a client then i'll play with that one virtualization and stuff

and im planning on getting a solding iron to build shit with a pi3
>>
>>28471768
Dude I love you. Question though, are you learning all that shit, or do you want to learn it? Either way, through college or are you just gonna homeschool yourself?
>>
>>28471865
Yes I guess it would look douchey irl, but I guess in the context of badass anime character he's pretty solid.
>>
>>28471616
No, but being able to play something on the piano, and then imagining it in your head as a violin for example. Or reading sheet music and hearing the music in your head. I'm honestly not so sure about this stuff, i want to learn but i can't find much solid info online.
>>
>>28471967
>currently learning python
Why python though? I once tried to learn perl, scary stuff but pretty cool once you can actually do something useful with it.
>>
File: 1434489853460.jpg (197 KB, 696x960) Image search: [Google]
1434489853460.jpg
197 KB, 696x960
>>28472028
I'm an autodidact, only went to public school until the 5th grade. Then my parents pulled me out and didn't teach me a damn thing, so I've taught myself everything I know since then. I think I've done a pretty good job, and it's given me the drive to teach myself. Regrettably I'm a very slow learner with a poor memory so it takes me a lot longer to learn things that may take others half the time.
>>
>>28472109
because a superior recommended it
>>
>>28471705
Protip: put that bass right next to you when you play vidya. I always play whatever on the guitar when i'm waiting for respawn in CS:GO.
>>
I've been trying to draw but lately I'm discouraged. I get bored doing exercises so they end up sloppy, then I don't get any better.
>>
>>28472082
>reading sheet music and hearing the music in your head
If I understand you correctly, you need interval recognition training. I hope I don't embarrass myself since I'm a noob and you might know this already, but basically you need to learn to recognize the "distance" or "difference" between notes. Exercises like these help with that, and can probably help you reach your goal when combined:

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/keyboard-interval

It's like you imagine the first note of the piece as any random note, and then hop from note to note in intervals in your head. These training exercises don't exactly teach you how to imagine it, but they might help.
>>
>>28472271
Is there anything you actually want to draw? /ic/ is only good to a point, but then they often lose sight that you want to draw because you want to enjoy it. Fundamentals must be learned, but people want to have fun and draw their own little things as well.
>>
>>28472120
I'm the same way. I'm a programmer and my (ex) classmates kept telling me how lucky I was to be born with such a talent for programming. Little did they know I spent 8 hours a day doing it, and have probably learned as much as they could in only a few hours a day. Oh well, at least I kinda know something now, even if it's just programming.

I also want to learn something about physiology (or medicine in general really). I hope I can one day do it as well.
>>
>>28471937
I have no clue what that would be.
>>
>>28471797
If it's even a real thing. Doesn't sound like it.
>>
>>28472369
You graduated? That gives me some hope man, good on you.

If you're interested, one of the books I'm reading right now (in addition to Gray's Anatomy and other standard texts) is Anatomy & Physiology: A Complete Introduction: Teach Yourself by David le Vay. It has tests throughout the book that encourages you to pay attention to key vocabulary and material, and it's constructed very well, I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting to teach themself the basics of the subject.
>>
>>28472483
>You graduated?
Hate to disappoint, but no. In fact, I'm doing pretty shit. I got held back and that's why they're ex-classmates. The thing is that I'm better than them at it because I like doing it and I practice it every day, and they just do it because they're forced to. On the other hand, they're doing better on anything else like socializing, being fit, and having hobbies. Dunno whether I should be proud or not.

>Anatomy & Physiology: A Complete Introduction: Teach Yourself by David le Vay
I feel like I should start now that I'm still in my early/mid 20s, but I'll have to put it off until I'm finished with current programming-related subjects. I wish I had more free time man. How do you manage to study so much with a job anyway (I assume you have one since you're not in school)?
>>
>>28472662
Sorry to hear that. It's not the end of the world though, so long as you keep at it you'll get just as far as your classmates, if not moreso. It's all about perseverance.

I work a part-time job, only 5-7 hours 4-5 days a week, so I have lots of free time.
>>
shit im learning;
>arduino
programming and circuits. fun as hell.
>guitar
electric but i cant play anything atm, im trying to avoid learning tabs until i can find an easy way to learn sheet music and get some sort of god damn rhythm
if you want to learn a lot of things in a limited amount of time. i'd pick the thing you find most interesting, i guess. can't beat being passionately entrenched in something that when you finally decide to pull yourself away from it you realize three days have passed.
>>
>>28472788
>and get some sort of god damn rhythm
Maybe you should look into tabs then. Or you can do scales with a metronome.
>>
>>28472739
>I work a part-time job, only 5-7 hours 4-5 days a week, so I have lots of free time.
Man that's great. Even worst case scenario you work only 35 hours. I want to do something like that too, and just use the rest of the time to relax and get better at programming, and learn about all the other stuff I want to learn about.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep. Thanks for the encouraging words and book advice. Good night friend.
>>
>>28472988
thanks, i guess i will.
>>
>>28473007
Good night and good luck, buddy.
>>
I'm always trying to improve with my writing, music making, and camera work, but I've always wanted to draw. It's hard to accept that between my job skills (writing, video) and my hobbies (music, reading, watching movies) that I won't have as much time to practice as I would want to improve at a rate that would be acceptable to me. However, I'm still willing to try.

Any artists have suggestions on practice/resources? I've been doing figure drawing exercises for about 30 minutes to an hour everyday I can, plus the occasional sketching from reference and life.
>>
>>28472309
Yeah i probably do. I've tried those exercises, but i never developed a discipline for it. Even got an app for it that i practiced on for a couple of days until i got bored. I've gotten into singing though and sometimes i sing along to scales so i hope that'll be a decent alternative for ear training.

My dream is to be able to just wake up, sit on the piano and maybe compose a melody that i put on the flute, backed by a harp or a cello playing the harmony and maybe a tambourine. Harmony is another thing i'm working on, but luckily i've made some progress on that. Fitting chords to a melody is a skill just like any other.

This is the kind of thing i wish i could write someday:
https://youtu.be/TLfj3pAlrs4
>>
>>28473113
Draw what you actually like. Copy from photos or from life. Obviously life has more benefits because you are translating something that is actually 3D into a 2D form over something that is already 2D into something that is 2D but other pictures still have their value trying to recreate as accurately as you are capable of.

Even copying other peoples work lets you understand proportions of objects in relation to one another, measuring angles, and construction which can obviously be applied to other sketches or projects you will be doing.
>>
File: gun.jpg (179 KB, 1778x1000) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
179 KB, 1778x1000
>>28473216
Thanks, that sounds like some helpful advice. When I sketch, I like to draw what I want to see. I think it'll help with my video work, at least with storyboards, illustrating character and set designs, and taking concepts that would cost thousands and being able to render it onto paper.

Here's a sketch I did the other day. I was browsing references, and I loved the little details and value differences.
>>
>>28472788
>>28472988
>>28473042
i don't recommend metronome practice because it's boring and not very motivating.
just learn some cool, simple riffs like "satisfaction" by the rolling stones. try playing it along with the song, that's sorta like a metronome but more fun.
>>
>>28469139
sex.

I want to learn sex.
>>
>>28473394
Some books might be interesting to look at to learn how to use basic shapes to construct various objects. Though it is great that you have good lines that aren't scratchy. Keep at it.

>>28473513
Metronome is alright, not like it should be the ONLY thing you do, it can help though. It is why I suggested just looking into tabs anyways first because the best way to develop rhythm is to play along with other songs since they have their own rhythm.

You can still learn to sight read music on the side but it won't be hampering your progress in becoming more competent on your instrument.
>>
Fuxk your shit. I'm learning Korean. Not because of kpop but because I have the urge of learning a third language that is Asian and easy.
>>
After being diagnosed as having schizophrenia with psychosis I'm trying to learn how to act normal again ;^( it isn't going as well as I'd like.
>want to learn how to program
>want to learn to write good poetry
>want to learn how to play the piano
>want to write a movie screenplay
>want to get a degree
At the moment I'm just trying to improve my writing skills and also learning the rules for Necromunda and Warhammer 40k
>>
>>28473564
A womans body is like a musical instrument. If you touch her tenderly in all the right places you'll make the sweet music of love ;^(
tease her, get her wet, then stick your benis in her.
>>
i'd like to learn programming and be a freelance developer, but probably wont be able to compete with the currynigger programmers that work for a dollar a day.
>>
>>28473766
well your not making things easier for yourself by being a freelance developer, are you smart ass?
>>
>>28473766
The man reason why native programmers sometimes get hired over Indians is for their ability to work and as team and communicate effectively. Being free lance developer is hell, so is being asocial if you're working in any kind of specialized career.
>>
File: 1457381369593.jpg (2 MB, 1900x1796) Image search: [Google]
1457381369593.jpg
2 MB, 1900x1796
>>28469139
>anatomy
>plants / anatomy of plants / how to care for them properly
>guitar
>improve my handwriting
If i had limited time i would pick anatomy and plants / anatomy of plants / how to care for them properly. Im mainly interested in succulents and cacti.
>>
File: 1462203476053.jpg (8 KB, 272x153) Image search: [Google]
1462203476053.jpg
8 KB, 272x153
>>28471768
I like your plants.
They look very nice
Also quick question are cacti very easy to care for? Right know i have a succulent so im wondering how it compares with the succulent's needs and care for the plant. Thank you.
>>
Having free time is a meme guys. I've been a NEET for months now and i haven't been much more productive than when i was in school.
>>
>>28474268
They're insanely easy to care for. Indirect sunlight 10-14 hours a day, wait until their soil is bone dry to water them. Soak the soil with clean water and leave them the fuck alone. I talk to them at least once a day, too. The oldest one is nearly two years and doing wonderful. I lost one to mealybugs last winter, but only because I caught the pests late into the infestation. Keep them away from open doors and windows and you should have no problems though.
>>
File: Guts_Portrait.jpg (94 KB, 468x468) Image search: [Google]
Guts_Portrait.jpg
94 KB, 468x468
>>28474363
Thank you family.
This helps me. :)
>>
>>28474413
No problem familia, best of luck to you. Don't forget to look up the care of succulents on google and shit, there are tons of good guides out there that will make your plants very happy.
>>
>>28473207
You could use Muse Score. Very intuitive.
>https://musescore.org/
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.