[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 24 too old for college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: 1a where 1.png (156 KB, 1023x619) Image search: [Google]
1a where 1.png
156 KB, 1023x619
Just wanted some input on this.
>>
>>28464012
No, go asap. If you need to take the SAT, the deadline to sign up for the June 4 test is tomorrow. Let's say you live to be 70. 70-24=46 do you want to spend 46 years wishing you had gone to college? No. Go.
>>
>>28464012
No. You're never too old for anything. That's a cancerous frame of thought. Will the 19-22 years joke about you... sure but who cares what they think.
>>
Some background: I finished high school and tried college at 18 and quit a year after.

Just sitting here drinking and wondering how my life would have turned out if I just endured some uncomfortable situations and stuck with it.

I may be too old or it may be my last shot at it. I'm not sure. I never was really sure about anything.
>>
24 is just fine, man. Age is never a bar for your desires.
>>28464050
You're never too old for anything. And from now on, try and consider the uncomfortable option. The right way is always better than the easy way.
>>
>>28464031
I'm 31 and went back to college to do an arts degree (lmao what a dumb faggot)

No one gives a shit.

I had a creative writing class 5 years and the most successful alumnus that class, or as far as I know the whole literary department, produced was a 55 year old guy who went back to school to do a creative writing degree so he could get some advice on the novels he was writing. He got a publishing deal at the end of his second year. No idea if he finished because I'd dropped out at that point but it really didn't matter. I google him every now and again and he's having new books published.
>>
>>28464050
>Just sitting here drinking and wondering how my life would have turned out if I just endured some uncomfortable situations and stuck with it.

I think about this all the time. It's so painful.

I guess you got to think of that tree phrase,

"Best time to to plant a tree was 20 years ago. Second best time is today."
>>
>>28464012
One of the only people I talked to in college was 63 at the time. He was cool, every other story he told involved going to a strip club for some reason.
>>
There's a 40-something-year-old vet who has been in all of my engineering classes since I began and I graduate next year along with him. Never too late.
>>
>>28464050
I would definitely have to quit one of my two jobs to make time. Even then ... I'm still not sure how I will afford it.
I really want to do this but it's been so long that I'm not sure how I will cope. It's just been so long since school ... me in a class full of youngsters.
>>
>>28464031
I always thought I would go the community college route rather than full on university for a number of reasons. Thoughts?
-op
>>
>>28464012
no but it is for sex
>>
>>28464164
if you are not shooting for a phd it's not a bad idea, most places don't care about where you got your education just that you got it and work experience and with that said Universities tend to offer programs/work that count for internship where at a community one you have to do the legwork and find one yourself
>>
File: 1448057611719.jpg (375 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1448057611719.jpg
375 KB, 1280x1920
>>28464012
If you expect the fun life, fucking girls and getting wasted with the "bros" and shit then yes, it's very late.

If you just want to mind your own business and study i think it's not too late until you are like 50 or something.
>>
>>28464063
What do you do now after you dropped out?

I'm still working jobs that anyone could do. One of my co-workers actually retired from it which made me think about my life.

-op
>>
>>28464272
I'm back at college. That was 5 years ago. The last 5 years of my life has been a write off. Just working retail wage slavery in a drunken stupor.
>>
>>28464012
no. people of all ages go to college. in my class most people were early 30s.
>>28464242
even what this guy says is wrong. 18 y/o girls will fuck the 30 y/o guys frequently but only if they are "alpha" so it prob doesnt mater for you anyways.
>>
>>28464242
The "fun life" never came to me. Not in high school and not in college at 18. I guess I'm a robot at heart.

Now I could care less about that, I just accept it as the cards that were dealt to me. Perhaps in another life I can be a chad but not this one.

I just want a life where I don't work 40+ hours a week to barely pay rent and living expenses. I just want to actually buy a house that I can call mine. I want some leisure time.
>>
>>28464311
18 year olds won't fuck 30 year olds that need to go to fucking college along with them you moron, that obviously means he is of very low social status and worth, they probably won't even look at him
>>
File: babysink.jpg (17 KB, 402x415) Image search: [Google]
babysink.jpg
17 KB, 402x415
Is there anyone here that started college late and stuck with it the whole way? I would really like to talk to you.

-op
>>
I've seen people in their 50s taking classes as some kind of hobby.
I've seen 30 somethings in orientation classes.
You're fine.
>>
>>28464763
That is for hobbies. If I would go, I would be betting my life's savings on it. I either succeed or die.
>>
>>28464012
Yes it is. Just kill yourself at that point you old bitch.
>>
File: 1438572076186.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1438572076186.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>the obligatory 50 year old dude who sits at the front of the class puts his hand up
>>
>>28464109

>class full of youngsters

You'll be 3-4 years older than them tops..

Quit making excuses
>>
>>28465437
hey that guy was my bro

at least I wasn't the only one sitting alone
>>
>>28464012
no, there's a lot of older students in my classes.
>>
>>28465437
They're the best students desu. Anyone who is 30+ in a college class has generally discovered they have a genuine passion for the subject. They're there to learn.
>>
>People graduate college
>Can't get any jobs with their degree
>Lose and desperate for options they decide to return to college and try another subject to broaden their options beyond graduation

Mature students have been the norm for ages but they'll become more and more prevalent as employment opportunities become reduced
>>
22 year old here, took a few years off after I fucked around at the university I went to after high school and flunked out.

You're not too old just go do man, no-one gives a fuck at the community college I go to, never been asked about how old I am.
>>
>>28464012
Nigga you should only go to college if you truly want to learn shit or want a degree
fuck hollywood and their portrayal of party colleges, drugs, sex and rocknroll bs
You're never too old to change your life for the better (or worse) m8
>>
I started university at 28.
>>
>>28464012
you're never too old to make something of yourself
>>
I'm going back this summer, I think. Really want to get this remedial algebra out of the way. I have to go and see what holds I have to register and really really don't want to but haven't been able to keep a job and don't know what else to do, all I know is I don't want to stay like this. I'm 24 too.

Just go anon, fuck it. What else are you gonna do?
>>
I think you should go op. I work as a college admissions counselor and the older students (25-34) take it a lot more seriously and get the most out of their money, because they use all the tutoring and guidance or help programs. So you're at what I would say is the best age to go.
>>
>>28464012

I started college at 21. People treat you differently because you're a little older, but thats just typical normie bullshit for you. You should go regardless. I'm 25 and graduating in a week's time, I can't give a shit if every normie at the ceremony is 21/22 I fucking graduated college.
>>
File: we made it.jpg (100 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
we made it.jpg
100 KB, 720x720
No. I went to community college when I was 18. In my class there were a good amount of people who were 30+. Seriously nigs you're good. I'm kinda behind in my credits as of now. I really should have gotten my degree this year, but I kinda fucked up my last semester because I was really depressed and having feels for a lesbian lol. I'm trying to get my shit together now though.

Go to college
get that degree and maybe fuck sum college pussy. lol

good luck man
>>
>>28464012
It's a more appropriate age honestly. Most people go in when they're kids and don't really know what they want to do. That results in majoring in something that ends up being useless. At this point in your life you should at least have some idea what you want to do...
>>
>>28464012
No, I started around my 25th birthday after I got out of the military. So far, it's going well.

You'll actually get a lot more female classmate attention as an oldfag because you're not a boring, shitty kid like the other guys there.
>>
There were some 80 year olds in a class in university. Not kidding.
>>
>>28464623
I was 24 when I went to college.
It was great.
You have just a little bit more experience than people going straight in from school.
If you've been working then you are used to the idea that you have to get up in the mornings, go in there and do the damn work.
If you've spend a long time unemployed you know the horror of failure so you should work hard to make sure you don't end up flunking.

But it's been awhile since you've had to actually study, and write things, and take notes... so it's worth doing some prep for that.
You'll need to make sure you get good advice on getting work done.
The hardest thing for me was getting things done in the evening.
I'd show up for 9am lectures, pay attention all day because for 5 years before that I got up at 6am to get to work for 8am and work for 9 hours straight or I'd get fired... but after work you go home and switch off.
But you have to study, and work at home which I was bad at bothering to do.

Go For It, Plan ahead.
>>
I went at 26

People fresh out of highschool still have the sense that if you're 5 or more years older than them, then you're already an old man.

If you don't expect to make any real friends then it will be fine. You'll waste years, put yourself a hundred thousand dollars in debt, be miserable spending all your fap time reading textbooks, yet learn nothing useful, and won't get a job out of it in the end.

enjoy
>>
Literally no one cares. I'm 22 and have befriended people in their 30's.
>>
>>28468078
>You'll waste years, put yourself a hundred thousand dollars in debt, be miserable spending all your fap time reading textbooks, yet learn nothing useful, and won't get a job out of it in the end.

This.
>>
23 here
Its fine, most people think I am 17 or 18 anyway
Still got 7 years to go though, I imagine it will suck when im 30
>>
>>28468334
Mid-30s still being mistaken for mid-20s.
My mid-20s were great when I had a GF but when I didn't I had lots of trouble with women thinking I was much younger than them.
>wow you seem really mature for someone who's what... 20? 22?
"I'm 27."
>oh... you're older than me.
That was then...
Now it's actually sort of worse.

Then they expect you to have more money, and when you don't they're gone. Not Rich is a Red Flag.
Women like older men because money-power-status... a young looking older man without money-power-status is worse than a young broke man who might get power-money-status later when his band, business idea or whatever takes off.
>>
I went at 18, went on medical leave twice and basically just dropped out. Now I'm 25 and going back but at a different Uni.

My mom and aunt both went at ages 27 and 28 respectively. Both also have their Masters and are now retired after a nice career. My dad went in at 25 after the military, too.

Shit is never too late to go. If anything it's better as you won't fuck around like the 18 year olds do. You're there to study and to get a degree, not go drinking and fucking. Doesn't make sense to take out all those loans just to fuck around anyway.
>>
>>28464164
Start at Community College. You're just going to be taking general courses literally EVERYBODY offers anyways, might as well do it for 1/8th the price and if you find one close to home you don't even have to pay for living expenses. Keep your grades up and get a good transfer scholarship to a private Uni
>>
>>28465521
I would be 6 years older ... maybe even 7 tops. I just brought it up because that's such a significant age difference in maturity. It would be hard to fit in.

>>28467993
How did you go back to the school mindset after such a long time? I am just scared that I will fail again because this time I just can't afford to fail. What if I do though?
>>
>>28464012
no one gives a shit you're fine OP
>>
I wanted to do the same thing at the same age but I actually have an ok business degree. Wanted to study psychology or something where there are a lot of 18/20yo girls.
>>
>>28464012
No, but you will feel alienated and isolated if you're looking for social experience.

Just go there to get your educated and maybe fuck a few daddy issue sluts.
>>
>>28470665
I couldn't care less about social experiences anymore, life beat any sense of wonder for new experiences out of me.

If for anything, it's for hopes at a better life i.e. job security, owning a home, and some leisure time for once.

-op
>>
>>28464012
I'm not going to finish my degree until I'm 31. Stop being a pussy.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.