[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got called for jury duty and I already used my 1 postponement.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: uncomfortable_man_sips_coffee.png (348 KB, 478x550) Image search: [Google]
uncomfortable_man_sips_coffee.png
348 KB, 478x550
Got called for jury duty and I already used my 1 postponement. What should I expect? And also how easy is it to get excused?
>>
>>28449041
How does this work? How are you forced onto jury duty? What happens if you refuse?
>>
If you work just tell them you have to work and you don't get compensated by your work. That's normally enough to get off.

Alternatively if you're a student just tell them that it'll interrupt your studies and they'll send you home. You don't even need to say that just say you're a student.

If you're a NEET idk it might be hard. They pay you a tiny bit so at least there's that.

Likely you will be on some boring case where a past employee is suing their past employer for some dumb shit b
>>
>>28449041

I had the same thing happen anon. Just write some sappy letter explaining why you can't go when you receive a new jury summons. Odds are they won't need you anymore because they'll already have their jury memebers
>>
Do like me and show up late

Everyone else will already be there and they won't need you
>>
>>28449041
>>28449041
Literally OP, all you need to say is you are really looking forward to judging people when they are picking juries, you will get sent home so fast.
>>
>>28449041
why would you want to get out of it? I always wanted to be in jury duty, if the guy is black or looks like a chad I would find him guilty even if I knew he was innocent. Getting paid to judge and have power over someones entire life would be such a power rush man.
>>
>>28449041
I wrote past treatment for depression and got excused instantly. Kinda a shame I was looking forward to it. Oh well.
>>
>>28449041
I've been dodging jury duty for about 25 years. Here's what you need to know OP.
>you WILL lose about a full day
>claim that you have very strong feelings about something: "I love the death penalty, we should kill all murders" or "People who are arrested are often guilty"
>claim to be prejudiced: "All black people are theives" "An asian could never rob a bank" etc.
>they will say thank you and never call you back.
Think of it as a job interview where you get to be a total edgelord.
>>
>"I have "X" mental issue"
>get excused
>>
I live in LA and if I get called up, I'm just telling them I'm voting for Trump and all my friends are police officers. My former attorney professor said that if you have friend or family who are cops they won't take you in for jury duty. They want someone without any bias. Just tell them your friends are cops and you can't believe how many criminals get off scott free and that won't happen here.
>>
>>28449041
>excused
You need to try hard and be prepared for the judge to call you out on it.
Last time I went, this woman tried to BS her way out of it by saying she was racist or something.
Judge kept asking her yes or no questions until she relented and said 'Well,..I guess I could be impartial.'
>>
>>28449314
>Think of it as a job interview where you get to be a total edgelord.

Man, if I ran the legal system, veryone who conducts these little interviews would be QT women so that no one would say any of that shit. They'd be all like " don't wanna make her cringe" and shit.
>>
Claim you are biased because you hate niggers or some shit.
>>
>>28449041
Tell them you're a big fan of jury nullification. They'll probably never call you again
>>
>>28449180
I work at a grocery store so I'd if we get comped

>>28449242
I already postponed and they sent me another so idk if I can get out of it honestly

>>28449260
How late is late?

>>28449302
Shit like this makes me nervous and just thinking about having to serve gives me anxiety

>>28449342
My brother is a sheriffs deputy in my county, do you think that would be enough? Just say I something like "my brother is an officer so I would probably vote in favor of guilty?"
>>
>>28449521
I was at least a half hour to 45mins late

I wasn't even in school at the time, so being late is the only explanation for why i was just told to leave lmao
>>
>>28449521
>I work at a grocery store so I'd if we get comped
It's highly unlikely you do

Just tell the jury you can't miss work.
>>
>>28449041
lmao I have postponed 4 times before. They literally never care.
>>
I got called for some domestic abuse case. Most of the day I just sat around and drank coffee, we had to watch a video then wait some more until you get called. When they started question to pick and eliminate jurors I told them my mom and dad used to fight infront of me as a kid and they didn't pick me.

It's boring as hell but they do give you some money for showing up, and for each day if you get picked, so if you're a neet it's nice. I actually wouldn't mind if I got called again or even served but I don't have anything going in my life.
>>
Everyone has their own secret on how to not get selected for jury duty. My fathers was
>Well at this point I figure if the guy got arrested its because hes guilty

He was let go pretty quickly. YMMV
>>
My secret is to never show up at all, apparently they put out a warrant on you for this.

But i never leave the house so it doesn't effect me at all.
>>
>>28449087
Jail time
Origaminal
>>
>>28449041

>go
>put your occupation as journalist
>indicate you have strong feelings about people of other races
>talk big about jury nullification
>get sent home immediately
>>
>>28449041
Say the words jury nullification. You'll be immediately excused.
>>
>are we allowed to practice jury nullification?
>>
You can't get out of it. They WILL know you are lying and they WILL do background checks.
>>
>>28450316

Bullshit, they call many more people than they need with the expectation that most of them will be dismissed almost immediately. The only time they get really picky is with the rare high-profile case where one attorney is being a dick.

Lots of small companies fucking hate it when people take off for jury duty, so they'll tell you to get out of it.
>>
I had a call for jury duty once, but never had to do it.

They told me to call in to their automated system every day for a week for my scheduled appearance. Each day the system basically told me "call back tomorrow," this persisted for the whole week and then at the end of the week I called in and the machine told me "your jury service is over" and that was that.

I'd actually do it if I had to, I heard you get paid for it and it sounds interesting to me. I'm a NEET, so I'm always up for strictly ""temporary"" part-time work.
>>
>>28450316
>They WILL know you are lying and they WILL do background checks.

Name one state that can afford to do background checks. Illinois can't even afford to keep its lights on.

>even if they say they do
>they won't
>they barely check your id
>>
>>28450436
San francisco pays about $15/ day
Not sure how it is anywhere else but the money is nothing
>>
>>28450316
>background checks about a person's opinions
kek

if you say you have a strong bias they believe you, because they'll get in trouble if they don't and you act on your bias.
>>
>>28450621
$15 more than I would've earned otherwise.
>>
>>28449041
It's REALLY easy to get excused. All you have to do is make up a story about how the case triggers you and the lawyers will get the message that you are not willing to play along and they'll send you home.

I went to jury duty and when tehy called me up about a domestic abuse case, I told them about how I was abused as a child and didn't trust cops because my parents would call them on me even when it was their fault that we were fighting. I said that this would hinder my ability to judge the case. They let me go immediately with no questions asked.

my story was true. yours doesn't have to be. they don't check.
>>
>>28449041
Mention jury nullification, the prosecutor will 100% want you out
>>
>>28450436

This is really how it works now.

You don't have to lie or say jury nullification or anything...odds are against them ever calling you.

Even if you do serve, it'll likely be for a morning or something. More likely to win the lotto than to serve on some televised case that lasts weeks or months.
>>
The easiest way to get excused is to raise your hand and ask to be told about Jury Nullification. It's a freedom you have as a juror, but it's one of those things they don't mention and don't want you to know about.

Jury Nullification is your right to give a completely 100% guilty person an "innocent" verdict if you have differing opinions on the law. This was used back in the days of alcohol prohibition to excuse people for illegally drinking beer a long time ago. Today, if for example a kid were about to be facing jail time for possessing weed, you could give him an innocent verdict if you think people should be allowed to have weed. You don't have to give a guilty verdict just because he was caught red-handed with it and all of the evidence is there against him.
>>
>>28450397
>>28450444
>>28450299
>>28450296
>>28450285
>>28450675
>>28450702
>>28450721
>>28449818
>>28449475

All dumbasses who've never been called for jury duty.

Protip: they can and WILL verify everything you say and you WILL be charged if you are found to be lying on any account. Prosecutors and DAs alike can and WILL talk to your friends, family, and neighbors about your beliefs and opinions, too.

Do not even think about "getting out of jury duty", your internet history is subject to search, too.

>source: my older brother was in law school for a year
>>
>>28450921
lmao you're wrong
>>
>>28450921
All they have to see is the fact I have Free Talk Live on my podcast app to know I'm not full of shit.

Jury Nullification isn't a "belief," it's a right.
>>
>>28450921
>does he know about jury nullification

jury nullification isnt even you trying to get out of jury duty because they dont want you anywhere near the courthouse with the knowledge that you can create a clusterfuck foe the lulz in a perfectly legal way
>>
>>28450921
>get called in for a dindu crime
>"gosh sir I do love exercising my right of jury nullification to send niggers up the river"
It's literally that easy
>>
>>28450621

I got paid $30.
>>
>>28449041
I said I don't work well with groups. Got excused.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.