[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I used to make videos with my Dragonball Z action figures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: a sad sad man.jpg (9 KB, 233x200) Image search: [Google]
a sad sad man.jpg
9 KB, 233x200
>tfw I used to make videos with my Dragonball Z action figures using my parents old video camera
>I was 8, so they were stupid, but I enjoyed doing it so my parents and brother humored me and watched them
>I kept doing it
>It became a "show" with its own universe and continuity
>Eventually my family stops watching the episodes, but I still want to keep making them
>I just keep making them for my own enjoyment
>I grow to love these characters
>As I grow up, I make episodes less and less frequently, because I know it's pretty autistic for a teenager to make a "show" like this with action figures
>Still make episodes every once in a while, though. As I grew older, my comedy develops, and whenever I do make an episode of this show, it still has some merit to me because it's humor has aged with me.
>I discover YouTube shows that use action figures. Arby 'n' the Chief, Dragonball Z Stoopified Rah (not well known, but I remember it because it used Dragonball Z action figures like me).
>I love these shows, and they're nearly universally liked by their audiences on YouTube (very few dislikes on any episodes).
>I start to feel like I could upload my own show to YouTube.
>I recognize that my show might not be as good as those two, but I want to try posting it anyway.
>Make ~20 episodes for YouTube over the last few years, delete some, keep others as time passes.
>They never get any views like those other two shows
>This show means a lot to me, but it will never succeed on the Internet.
>mfw

I'm not trying to advertise these videos to r9k or anything. That would probably be suicide; I know you would all think it's autistic as fuck. I just want to get my feels out. Like I said, this show has been a huge part of my life for 10 years now, even though I've grown out of it to some extent. I just feel like shit over the fact that other "action figure shows" have enjoyed moderate success on YouTube, while for mine, that seems impossible.
>>
That's a feel and a half righty there man. I bet if you had started uploading them in like, 2008, you would've gotten that fame you desires. But it doesn't matter, don't compare yourself to those channels, you keep up what makes you happy.
>>
Also, I feel I should add: I would rather make an actual TV show or movie with real actors than with action figures, but (big surprise) I have no friends willing to play characters for me. I had/have another YouTube channel where I make normal videos that I appear in, but I've exhausted all possible ideas that I can do alone over the last 5 years. This action figure shit is the only medium that's consistently there for me and not restricted by a lack of characters.
>>
Bump I don't want this thread to die
>>
>>28426204
Thank you. Yeah, if I could have started back then, I'd be all set now. I was just too young then. Literally no one would have taken me seriously (not that many would even now).
>>
Thread's probably gonna die, but I might re-post it sometime. I want to see if random people are immediately averse to something childish like this or if they would give it the time of day, based on what I've said so far. Again, 4chan probably isn't the right audience, but I can't be anonymous anywhere else.
>>
>>28426130
I don't think you're autistic.
>>
>>28426644
Sounds like something I'd like to watch, no joke. Post link please, I'll probably give you a follow.
>>
I do this.
It started with toys when I was about 9, moved to comics when I was a teenager, and now here I am, 24 and I make animations of this shit now.
It's crazy to think that I've only shown this stuff to people maybe 3 times in all those years, I don't even know what keeps me going back to the whole thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuaq9MMsydo

this you op?

I enjoyed it buddy, cheer up.
>>
It only worked back then because of Robot Chicken, not because of the actual tuber's quality. To win online and in many cases irl, you have to be first, not best.
>>
>>28428335
Yeah, that's it. Figured somebody might find it.

Thanks, I'm surprised, but definitely appreciative that you liked it.

If you guys really want to watch, I would recommend this one; it's probably my best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p36Qgu9Ce-s

For anyone wondering, the action figures run a TV network. I don't know why, but that's what I came up with when I was younger. I didn't want to change that part of it, I guess.
>>
Based on view counts, I can tell some of you guys are watching. Means a lot, even if you don't like it.
>>
>>28428656
This is interesting, I assume you're remaking old episodes?
If so, how many did you do before?
>>
Keep doing the videos if the make you happy dude. You don't seem to realise that the odds of becoming YouTube famous are a million to one. Think about it,how much millions upon millions of other content creators out there are in the same boat as you.

You still manage to get 10 or 11 views per video. I'd keep it up. Do what makes you happy
>>
>>28428719
Yeah, some concepts are old, some are new. this one is originally from a few years ago.

I've made literally hundreds over the years. During my little "golden age" from 2008-2009, I made like 4 per week. They all sucked, but they were so much fun.
>>
Im downvoting your videos OP
>>
>>28428811
I can tell. That's okay. It's a cruel world sometimes.
>>
Holy shit you are a psychopath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KfJ7BR5x2I
>>
>>28428811
>downvote
Spotted the redditor
>>
Watched like two minutes and didn't think it was funny
>>
Hwy op, what do you do for a living exactly?
>>
>>28428466
m8 it just seems like you're talking to yourself as a way to cope with being alone. give these childrens toys their own personalities and take a speech class or two to get rid of that nasal autistic thing you've got. and 20 episodes is shit man, if i filmed what i did as a kid i'd have over a thousand of these and then you just filter and compile. if you think a couple dozen 10 min videos of awkward silences and tasteless jokes are a huge burden over "a few years" then you need someone to legitimately beat the fag out of you.
>>
>>28428884
Well, thanks for at least giving it a try. I expected only kids to find any humor in this, the fact that even some of the people in this thread liked it (assuming they're telling the truth) is a minor miracle to me.

>>28428891
First year college/university student. No job.
>>
OP I would seriously consider getting a tripod and taking more time to make each shot look good (properly focused). otherwise i dont see the problem
>>
>>28428944
>assuming they're telling the truth
desu they are just pitying you
>>
>>28428952
That would definitely be a good investment. That would also allow me to use both hands so I could move them around more subtly.
>>
>>28428466
It's not very good.
>gay xD
You've got passion and that's good, but you need to learn the fundamentals of stagecraft and comedy
>>
>>28426130
Ok man i have some advice for you. You need to ditch the dbz thing and start making toy shows with buzz toys like frozen, thomas the train, pixars cars, and shit like that. Do some research on the hottest toys and use those. Come up with stories little kids can understand. You need to speak clearly too. You can make a legit living doing this.
>>
>>28429210
cont... once you get a following big toy companies will pay you to fucking play with their toys on camera. Is it the most honorable living? Maybe not but you don't have to show your face and your already making toy videos anyways. Best advice I can offer you pal
>>
>>28426130
Hey OP, that's not my type of thing, but I'll definitely try to tell anyone I know to take a look at your videos.
>>
Don't expect to make a living off making videos on youtube. You can't really "decide" to go viral on the internet.
>>
>be 9
>dad buys a video camera
>mom tells me to talk tell about myself while she records
>I talk about cartoons and computers and feel really happy
>she invites relatives over and plays it for them
>everyone laughs at me and calls me a faggot
>afterwards parents tell me they did that so I could see how weird I acted
I still feel bad about this. It was worse than the time everyone walked out of my little league game. They wonder why I have issues.
>>
>>28428466
I liked it man, keep doing what you're doing.Would agree with the tripod suggestion, but yeah the humor is a bit more focused on teens, but i can see the appeal certainly.
>>
Alright Op, I'll be honest here. When i watch TV I have a ranking system
If I laugh 0 times, it's shit.
1-3 times and it's eh.
3-5 times and it's okay.
5-10 times and it's pretty good
10+ and it's a masterpiece
You hit an 8 with that sick day episode. The only thing I can really complain about is props and the fact that the characters seem out of place since this is nothing you'd expect from a DBZ series
>>
>>28429324
He doesn't really need to go viral he just needs enough subscribers to get the attention of big companies. 200k subs and a decent view count is probably min requirement.
>>
>>28426130
dude look up autism, i don't think you know what it means
>>
>>28429447
He's an adult talking to dolls in his free time.
It's mildly autistic but autistic none the less
>>
File: autism.png (151 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
151 KB, 500x500
>>28428335
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuaq9MMsydo

i laugh the whole time, but not With you OP
i laugh At you
>>
>>28429324
No, I'm definitely not expecting to make a living off this. My end goal is honestly just to amass a small audience so I have a reason to keep doing it.

>>28429341
If it's any consolation, I can empathize with that shit, man. Heartbreaking when you try to do something for people, or just avoid being laughed at, and they're dicks to you anyway.

>>28429348
Thanks. Hell, what can I say, I am a teen, so it makes sense for other teens to be the target audience. I don't really mind that.

>>28429357
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. I'm used to the dynamic of the show, and even I can tell how jarring it is to see those characters in some house saying what they say, so it has to be a pretty big problem. If I were serious about making money off this or something, I would consider big changes to reduce the problem.
>>
>>28429531
You ever try stop motion? It may up the quality.
>>
>>28429590
Briefly. Obviously it's pretty time-consuming, so I would only do it if there were no other options for improving the production value. I'd probably try actual puppeteering with strings before stop motion.
>>
Kind of reminds me of the whos and lice anon who made a tumblr and google docs of his story that he's had since childhood and it's super long and detailed.

It's similar in that you both had autistic things you did, then decided in order to continue onward as you grew up, it had to become more of a project than a hobby to make it more 'adult'
>>
Your comedy and overall style is very mid 2000s internet humour. It's very reminiscent of early youtube and I agree with the other poster who said that if this was started in the early days of Youtube, before you either had to be partnered with a corporation or pray to go viral, you'd have been pretty successful.

Your target audience is kids, I'm sure you know that. It's kids humour. They're the hardest audience to grab actually, but the most dedicated. I remember following shit like this when I was younger. Not figure stuff, but webcomics and flash animations and things like that with the same type of humour.
>>
>2007
>Got camera for 10th birthday
>Remember watching old Lego stopmotion videos on Youtube
>Decided to do my own videos and upload them to my channel
>They we're dumb as you would expect but I loved doing them
>Would show them to my friends in Primary School and they all thought they we're cool
>People we're impressed at them and always asked me stuff like "How did you do that?" and all that stuff
>I kept making them
>I gained like 500 subs on the channel
>One of my videos even got 10k views (I know it doesn't sound like much but to young me this was amazing)
>They did get better over time and actually got somewhat decent at stopmotion animation
>Gain a small following on YT
>Few years later I go to Secondary School
>I still did these videos
>Knowing how people are "supposed to act cool and grown up" when you go to Secondary School I didn't tell anyone about these videos
>Some bitch from my Primary School tells people about these videos
>I become the lil' bitch that everyone bullied
>I managed to delete all the videos before anyone saw them but I still got bullied for it
>All my subscribers all wondered where my videos went
>I never replied to them. I just simply vanished from YT
>I no longer have the videos as I deleted them to make space on the shitty computer I used

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I stuck at it and didn't delete the videos. I was almost at 1000 subs when they went down. Seeing this thread really brought all that back.
>>
>>28426130
Bump for attention. What's your channel btw? Gimme I want to autism with you
>>
>>28428466
It's good, your writing is good. But give it some higher production values man, like use wires or strings to move the characters, get a better camera and learn how to focus it. etc etc. I think you could be as popular as those other guys if you just had better quality.
>>
>>28426130
iktfb

shit doesn't succeed because its good and the world is fair. its usually luck, marketing shekels, timing..etc

your story happens to every artist...
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.