[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: anime girl 21.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
anime girl 21.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
Does anyone have any good book recommendations? Preferably books that have actually impacted your life in some way. Maybe reply with the title of the book and a brief explanation of why you like it

pic unrelated
>>
>>28412465

Flowers for Algernon.

Very robot book imo and quite easy to read, also the first part is fun to read cause its written from the POV of a tard.
>>
>>28412465
The Dresden Files got me through a bit of a depression. It's like 16 books long so for me it was comforting to go home every day and meet up with the same characters.

It's pretty great and it definitely impacted my life
>>
The Holy Bible
Its the only book you will ever need
>>
"The Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula K. Le Guin: It just really struck a chord with me somehow. Its about a guy whose dreams retroactively change reality: like he dreams his aunt died six months ago, and he wakes up to find it's true. He thinks he is going crazy, so he goes to a shrink. The shrink realizes this power is real and tries to use it to change reality for the better, but it doesn't work out like he expected because dreams cannot be rationally controlled.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy: Grim as fuck, the beauty is in the use of language, ignore the shitty movie version.

The Tao te Ching: Real wisdom. Here:
http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html
>>
>>28412482
i second this

it's the only book that's ever made me cry

the part where charlie disproves the holocaust was so touching
>>
>tfw so depressed I haven't read a single book for 10 years
>>
File: Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg (12 KB, 235x350) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg
12 KB, 235x350
Crime and Punishment, American Psycho are two of my favorites. Neuromancer just for entertainment.
>>
>>28412465

>Hatchet
>Gary Paulsen

A book that was introduced to me in elementary school. It's a short, simple read, but every year I give it another look. It's just a really solid book in my opinion. Hasn't really impacted my life in some world-view changing way, but I've used it as a gauge for my maturing tastes as I grow to be less young.

It's the story of how thirteen-year-old Brian survives a summer in a Canadian forest with naught but a hatchet and the clothes on his back.
>>
>>28412465
Meditations, Marcus Aurelius
Some good lessons that helped me get over issues with rage, jealousy, and feelings of hopelessness
>>
>>28412545
kek, nah. Its a good historical book or a reference book but not one for robots.
>>
File: url.jpg (6 KB, 165x240) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
6 KB, 165x240
Right here anon. This book has really impacted me greatly.
>>
>>28412555
>dreams cannot be rationally controlled
What is lucid dreaming?
>>
>>28412465
"Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn
"Beneath the Wheel" by Hermann Hesse (robot friendly af)
"A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
>>
The Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite books.
It follows three robots (a beta, a euphoric, and a proto-NEET) and their interactions over things such as the meaning of life, and belief in God. For me it showed how certain attitudes and outlooks can drive you to live in different ways. Intertwined are some very comfy subplots and lore. Masterfully written so that there are enough layers to enjoy it on many different levels. You can focus on the philosophy, characters, or world-building in any combination, and it will be God-tier every time.
>>
>>28413440
Holy shit, I'm sold. That was a thoughtful, well-written review.
>>
Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine. I'd say I enjoy reading and have read quite a lot but nothing has gripped me by the fucking guts and never let go like this book.
>>
the conquest of bread changed my life lads
read that book and find out that there's nothing wrong with being a neet or a wagekek
>>
This might sound 2edgy4u but honestly, Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. People make fun of it because it somehow became a pseudointellectual hipster staple but its actually devastatingly brilliant.
>>
>>28412527
I've read the first two books and can't shake the feeling that they are the literary equivalent to junk food. Is it worth it to keep reading?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.