[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making friends as an adult
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: 1404399334971.gif (248 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1404399334971.gif
248 KB, 480x270
Where the fuck do you make friends? I'm 25 and friendless. My job is solitary so I can't make friends with coworkers. I've been to a couple meetups but nobody talked to me.
>>
Are you looking for irl friends? Cause online friends are pretty easy to find.
>>
>>28409590
I was talking about IRL friends, yes.
>>
>>28409569
Try playing online games. But don't force it. Play the online games you like, and the social juices will flow.
>>
>>28409569
Don't public libraries have like club nights for people of similar hobbies? At least mine does, there's a small fee for craft supplies but a schedule posted somewhere.
>>
>>28409569
A lot of people in the past have said to go on meetups.com to find some club or gathering that suits your taste. Otherwise, I have no friends so I don't know.

I think >>28409620 is right too.
>>
What's your job? You could try to introduce yourself at meetups instead of waiting to be approached.
>>
>>28409619
I don't have many online friends either but I've mostly been living my life through the Internet since i graduated high school. I'm trying to break away from that. Yes, that's pretty normalfaggish but I'm trying to move on with my life.
>>28409620
I haven't looked, but it might be worthwhile. Thanks.
>>
>>28409620
read that as nightclubs
hehehehehe
>>
>>28409681
I'm a programmer. My 60 year old boss and some freelancers over the phone are the only people I talk to.

I've been to a few programming meetups but everyone there seemed to be doing their own thing. I also hate programming despite it being my job, so that might have something to do with me not getting along with the people there. Idk.
>>
>>28409798

what kind of stuff do you program/program in? try to join in a free project in your free time, you'll be forced to meet ppl, and maybe meetup for some beers.
>>
>>28411029
I do a variety of stuff, mostly in Python and C. I don't know of any local projects to work on though. There's a hackerspace in my city, but that's the only thing I can think of where my skills could be used outside a business setting or the Internet.
>>
>>28409569
Go to some kind of church.
>>
>>28411174

Go to the hackerspace, you'll always have that feeling of not wanting to go to places, but that's whats holding you back, do stuff you dont want to do. Join a club, something that everyone has an interest in, like a martial arts group, yoga, spiritual or philosophy group. To meet friends you gotta be part of a community of interest.
>>
>>28409569
You don't
Social circles are built early on
>>
>>28411204
I've been thinking about this for years but I don't think I can fake it.
>>
>>28409716
Trying to be someone you're not will only make you feel worse
>>
>>28409569
comic shops have magic the gathering days.
meetup.org has everything
>>
Before you can make friends, you have to become friends with yourself.

Tell me OP, would you hangout with you?
>>
>>28409569
I've thought about making a profile on meetme but I'm not much for social networks and it seems likely it's going to be almost entirely normies.

>>28409620
>look at local library's calendar of events
>it's nothing but morning/afternoon kid-related activities
O-oh well.

This town is all university students who have their own clubs and activities or families with young kids. Meetup is full of parenting crap and things explicitly for women.
>>
File: justwhy.jpg (78 KB, 576x524) Image search: [Google]
justwhy.jpg
78 KB, 576x524
>>28409569
I dunno man. I'm in my thirties and been trying to make friends for years now.

This is what i learned. They will always have other friends they've known longer and will care about more than you. Always. You'll always be an outsider in their social circles. If their friends don't like you you'll be fucked.

I don't want to make a giant wall of text but that's been my experience from back when i wanted to be a normie and have friends/social life.

The closest thing to friends i have years later are some of the people i play online games with. They aren't people that would do anything a real friend would do though.

Just learn to accept it. I'm sorry.

You can try though, it's your life.

I moved cross country a lot as a kid and moved to different states in my adult life to see if anything is better elsewhere it's not. After 11 years or so of trying on and off i just gave up. Also work friends are not real friends. They always stop talking to you after you leave said job.

That's my experience anyway. Maybe my normalfag impression just wasn't good enough and i didn't know.

GL to u famalam.
>>
>>28409569
Cosplay and go to anime cons and find a group to hang out with.
>>
>>28413937
Replace online games with tabletop and you could be me.
I know that feel. I'm always the peripheral 'eh, you're here so I'll talk AT you about my interests' '''''friend''''', never the 'best friend'...
>>
File: 1455480561910.png (420 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455480561910.png
420 KB, 1280x720
>>28414132
>>28414132
Right? I made a friend 10 or so years ago when i moved to where i am now an have kind of settled down. Dude was pretty much my best friend. Knows what i am as a person and never gave a shit or hassled me. About 3-4 years ago now he meets a broad and decides to settle down. Dude gets married and doesn't even tell me. Calls me up while back and tells me. I didn't want to be all butthurt about it but i was afterwards.

Dude was my best friend, pretty much, but to keep it brief i was never really his. Nohomo.

Having irl friends brings up all sorts of feelings and shit that desu with you i'm pretty glad i don't have to feel anymore. Having friends is some intense shit and i like to think life is better without them and the social responsibility that comes with it.

Until i ponder my mortality. My waifu won't remember me when i'm dead.

For what it's worth i legitimately enjoy my hobbies and games and the ridiculous amount of time i spend doing that to where i would never consider killing myself. Social responsibility cuts into that.

Smash that LIKE and subscribe to my blog.
>>
>>28409590
How do you make online friends tho.
>>
>>28413937
>>28414446
Sauce on anime plz :D
>>
>>28414526
I have no idea but i'mma guess that alchemy wizard school one you always see the webm of a girl melting a giant minotaur with a potion.
>>
>>28414526
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!

use reverse image search faggot
>>
File: 1455513068395.png (475 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455513068395.png
475 KB, 707x1000
>>28414493
Just play games and don't suck. Or you meet that one in a million person you hit it off with. Also, don't buddy up with people of the opposite sex. Just don't. Go in teamspeaks, discord, skype rooms/calls. If you get asked to come play again do it and sometimes it goes from there. People tend to be friends while they play a game until somebody moves on and then it's up to you if you like or care enough to migrate to a new game. Seems normal and no reason to get butthurt over and you should do the same if you don't like the people.

I dunno man. This is what works for me.

>>28414526
ko no su ba
>>
>>28414597
>>
I've had one online friend for the past 10 years. He's kind of a psycho and really racist.

Whenever we make a third friend he constantly goes off on them for no reason. Then it's back down to the both of us.

What the fuck do I do. I don't want to leave him but I kind of do.
>>
>>28414683
He could be like what I see in the rest of this thread, wanting to keep you to himself- those other people are seen as threats. He's probably just as insecure as any robot.
>>
>>28414767
this desu, i've been that guy too lol
>>
>>28409569
Get into card games or fighting games. That helped me gain some social skills. Although card games can be super expensive.
>>
I feel you, anon. I have added a few people's emails from here but it always seems to fizzle out, and I feel like I am to blame for it. I just feel like I can't relate to people and I am not cool enough to be friends with. How do you even have friends? Its so weird and foreign to me, and it will probably never happen
>>
>>28414910
>I have added a few people's emails from here but it always seems to fizzle out
I can't tell you how many times this exact thing has happened to me. The bottom line is that you really have to have a lot in common with someone to be friends with them when you don't actually do anything together-- when your friendship consists entirely of going out of your way to talk with each other. And I think for some of us that's harder to find than it is for others: it's simply rarer to find people who can relate to our experiences or our personalities.
>>
>>28409569
Yeah, you missed out, sorry dude. Better luck in the next life.
>>
>>28414602
>Go in teamspeaks, discord, skype rooms/calls.
Not interested in voice chat, sorry.
>>
I don't remember posting this, yet OP must be me. FFS.
>>
>>28415080
Yep. You hit it right on the mark there. Why did this shit seem easier when I was 13? I used to meet people back then and we would just shoot the shit, nowadays it seems like i can only get along with divergent thinkers who I can pour my soul out to. I never meet anyone like that though. I don't even know what my "interests" are, I just know I have ideas and opinions on stuff
>>
>>28415543
I made e-friends left and right at that age too, and I'm still boggled by it. I guess when you're young your life is simple and you share plenty in common with others. Now I feel like an outsider and an outlier, having gone from a continent to my own weird little island where the odds of finding anyone are vanishingly rare. I used to have interests, too: I'd be so into that video game, or that band, or whatever. Now I'm not into anything. I used to have more definite ideas about who I was, too.
>>
This is the story of my life right here. Now I do have lets call them associates..because whenever I reach out to them they are too busy with their other friends. I honestly give up.
>>
I remember two times in uni someone tried to plan something with me. Obviously lost my chances, and now I'm the same as OP.

> guy one, chill and get along well
> asks me for beers in the evening
> sorry bro, I don't drink

> guy two tells I should join the hackerspace he goes to
> what would I do there?
>>
>>28415623
You are me. But its so hard for me to even think of what to say now, stringing words together and sounding coherent at the same time is hard, even if I have an abstract idea in my head of what I want to say its like there is a big leap from my thoughts to talking. I was trying to think of ways to respond but you covered it pretty well. I don't even know if I have to get along with people who have similar interests as me, even just having similar values and not being an asshole and liking conversations is enough for me. I used to have random friends from all over the world, now I am lucky to get any responses on my stuff. I wish I could go back in time to when I was 13 and do what I was doing back then, pissing around on my computer just leaving dumb comments and endlessly browsing all facets of the internet. That was the internet in its prime though, now its overrun by normies and dumb idiots. If only I could warn myself, cherish it while you still can!
>>
File: 1445317482712.jpg (111 KB, 764x764) Image search: [Google]
1445317482712.jpg
111 KB, 764x764
If anyone here lives in Auckland, New Zealand, I will be your friend IRL. I like anime and such. I'm a student at the university and live in the CBD. I'm probably not all that great company and I don't have many friends anymore, if any. I've been quite lonely for the past few years.
>>
>>28416227
I lived there as a kid, shame that me and my family moved to England...
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.