[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever taken up smoking to appear more interesting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: smoking.jpg (83 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
smoking.jpg
83 KB, 960x640
Have you ever taken up smoking to appear more interesting?
>>
I only smoke sometimes. But of those sometimes, it's often a social thing. Smoking with a friend. Fun stuff.
>>
yes two times
then i died from cancer in teh butt
>>
>>28406123
Same for me. It usually takes me a week or two to get through a pack of cigs.
>>
>>28406035
No because the only people who would find this "more interesting" are degenerates or society's bottom feeders.

I don't want the approval of those beneath me. Not that desperate for social interaction.
>>
>>28406035
Once when I was a teen but I always choked it back up which the "cool smoker" crowd hated me much as everyone else.
>>
I quit smoking, now I'm stuck in a rut and want to start again.

I just don't know why I'm alive, why I even care about cancer when I'm in a personal crisis.
>>
>>28406147
Newbie, I smoke 30 cigs minimum a day not including joints.
>>
File: 1308079089001.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1308079089001.png
218 KB, 600x579
>>28406035
No. But I can't say I didn't consider though. I was taught by the media that cool guys always smoke.
>>
>>28406035
When I learn someone smokes I automatically respect them less.
>>
File: 1455479718464.gif (421 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1455479718464.gif
421 KB, 700x525
I took up smoking so I'd have an excuse to go outside for a few minutes and stare up at the sky and wonder where it all went wrong.
>>
>>28406035
>smoking
>ever
fucking degenerates
>>
>>28406196
me too and I smoke.
>>
Friendly reminder that people who get mad about smoking are redditor normalfags and should get the fuck off this board
>>
>>28406193
> I was taught by the media that cool guys always smoke.

are you in your 30s?? Smoking isn't 'cool' since the beginning of the 90s
>>
>>28406193
How old are you?
People blame the media for everything but when someone says something like this I can only assume your media sources were different than mine.
>>
>>28406202
i do that in the bathroom

it is nice to take a cigar smoke with a drink outside.
>>
>>28406035
i smoke and i feel like it hurts my chances with girls when i go out, because girls usually don't like cigarettes and when i walk up to them reeking of tobacco they're like "ewww". 99% of people are still deluded into believing tobacco isn't healthy, but unfortunately i get shunned before i have the time to explain to them and show them the experiments and RCTs that confirm that it is a longevity-promoting plant
>>
File: 1aPsvlr.png (17 KB, 651x641) Image search: [Google]
1aPsvlr.png
17 KB, 651x641
>>28406248
I'm 26. And I'm sure that I watched a lot of movies and TV shows where the cool guy always had a smoke every now and then. Most of them tried to show it as bad thing, that bad people do. But the bad guys are usually the coolest guys. So the message wasn't received as intended by my young brain.
>>
>>28406248
>>28406285

30's isn't even old enough for that unless he is like my bro and sits around watching AMC all day long.

Damn I love Mad Men, but I never geninuenly though smoking was cool, I always thought of it as a fun inside joke for the viewers to share. That said the opening for the show is the best credit sequence ever made, it does almost make me want to light up and recline in my office.....but then my dad with whom I used to watch this show died in September from lung cancer so no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRr-Fb5xQo
>>
>>28406343
You're retarded desu

oregano commento
>>
i started smoking
everything feels so tranquil while smoking
>>
>>28406343
>But the bad guys are usually the coolest guys.

Tits or GTFO
>>
>>28406391
I'm not just retarded. I'M THEIR KING. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>>28406432
B-but I'm a man. An heterosexual man, anon. I can't be the only one of my kind that thinks that the villains are usually cooler than the hero. Come on. A few examples:

Joker > Batman
T-100 > semen guy
Bison > Ryu
Voldemort > Potter
Vegeta > Goku
Lex Luthor > Clark Kent

The list goes on...
>>
Yeah now my dick died and I couldn't lose my virginity.
Without them I wouldn't be cool enough to lose it anyways, it's better than nothing.
>>
>>28406702
With the exception of Goku, I actually like all of the good guys more.

Vegeta cucked Yamcha which I found hilarious
>>
>>28406702
I don't know what that guys talking about I usually think the bad guys are cooler too. When I was a kid I almost always rooted for the bad guy especially for Joker, Vegeta,Venom
>>
>>28406202
holy shit, I didn't start because of this...but it's hitting so close to home.

Idk I started because it passes time and gives me an excuse to be outside between bands setting up at concerts. Also the taste isn't bad. Also the nicotine rush/light headedness is kinda fun.

It's still very much a "once in a while" activity
>>
>>28407214
>Idk I started because it passes time and gives me an excuse to be outside between bands setting up at concerts. Also the taste isn't bad. Also the nicotine rush/light headedness is kinda fun.

/mu/ go
>>
I met most of my acquaintances through talking with them during a smoke, would be an autist outcast without it.
It makes things a lot easier.
>>
>>28406202
>needing an excuse.....to go outside/stand

Christ WTF is wrong with you people? Just do it. You don't have to excuse your own behavior. That level of cucked is beyond me.
>>
why would you think smoking makes you interesting
>>
>>28406202
are you me?
this comment is very original
>>
>>28406035
kek. no fucking way man. that shit fucks up your breath/teeth/lungs. how's that at all worth it? does it even feel good?
>>
>>28407492
u caught me :^)
what boards do you go on anon?
>>
>>28408214
feels good.

if you don't let it consume you you won't face those issues. Regardless, I don't recommend trying it
>>
I tried them.

I wanted to be like spike.
>>
>>28406317
what the hell are you talking about, anon?

>longevity-promoting plant

show me these "experiments"
>>
>>28407823
it's a wage slave thing
go ask any dollar store/walmart level employee and ask why they smoke. You will discover they all did it because it gave them an excuse to go outside for five minuets so they didn't look like they weren't looking like they were spacing out.
>>
File: smoking-animals-live-longer.jpg (78 KB, 1052x757) Image search: [Google]
smoking-animals-live-longer.jpg
78 KB, 1052x757
>>28408278
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/38868-smoking-is-good-for-you/

basically all of the experiments desu

>The animals were exposed for 5 months, then allowed a 4 month recovery period.... The increases in tumor multiplicity were generally small, from ~1 tumor per mouse to ~2.8, following exposure to 50-170 mg/m3 of total suspended particulates. The increase in tumor multiplicity observed in this model was due to a component of the gas phase of tobacco smoke....The 4-month recovery period is absolutely necessary for observation of increased lung tumor multiplicity, but the reason for this is not clear.
http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/content/26/9/1488

read that last sentence, it was "absolutely necessary" for the smoking animals to quit smoking for any observed increase in lung cancer

there are no RCTs on humans and smoking but the randomized intervention trials show no benefit to cessation
>>
>>28406035
No. I took it up because of the amount of stress I and others incurred at an engineering school. While I was there were no smoking restraints and everybody and their professors took up smoking next to the buildings.

Thankfully I weened myself off with vaping. Still crave a ciggy with a cappuccino on a nice summer morning over looking the lake.
>>
>>28406035

I smoke a cig every once in a while. I must be sensitive to nicotine or something because just a couple of puffs makes me feel all dizzy and relaxed.
>>
>>28407732
The only upside to smoking is meeting people. It is the easiest way to meet new people when your crowded up in a door way outside during the winter smoking for 10 minutes.
>>
>>28406202
>mfw realised recently that half of the "high' that i get from weed is actually just the good feeling of going outside in nature when it's sunny to smoke it/going outside at night and seeing the stars while i smoke
>>
>>28408641

> half

That must be some shitty weed.
>>
>>28408627
>You filter to make sure that everyone that you >meet is as lonely, stupid and pathetic as you.

If it works, I guess it's not a bad idea. Establish common ground.
>>
>>28408690
Oh god does it work. Normies will force conversation onto you just to break the awkward silence. You're good to go.
>>
>>28408641
Just looking at stars, high or not is an amazing experience I had forgotten about before I did it last week.
>>
>>28408627
>The only upside to smoking is meeting people.
false

http://www.gwern.net/Nicotine

>nicotine boosted IQ scores in a small sample of smokers, specifically scores on the RAPM12 (possibly related to its increasing global connectivity since IQ is being increasingly reified as measuring the global connectivity of multiple brain subsystems)
>reaction time is improved, as is inspection time and visual search (but perhaps due solely to faster motor reaction?)
>pilots' performance enhanced 4/5 as much as donepezil does; improves late-day piloting
>driving performance enhanced
>overnight performance on various memory & attention13 tasks ("These data suggest that when performance is being measured overnight, smokers show little or no impairment, whilst the performance of non-smokers showed performance decrements.")
>faster performance on Stroop and word classification
>"acute nicotine administration may exert direct beneficial effects on novelty detection and subsequent memory recognition"
>in smokers, improved prospective memory (things one intends to do); Rusted et al 2005
>can improve handwriting
>helps ADHD (Conners et al 1996; or Levin et al 1996 - as well as OCD, see previous footnote): "Results indicate significant clinician-rated global improvement, self-rated vigor and concentration, and improved performance on chronometric measures of attention and timing accuracy."
>may help depression1415
>may help symptoms of schizophrenia via increased synthesis of GABA & increased effectiveness of cognitive training (see Wikipedia), and protect against Parkinson's & Alzheimers, see Fratiglioni & Wang 200016 but note the difficulties in dealing with mortality bias (or just general cognitive impairment in the elderly)

there's more btw
>>
>>28408714
>>28408627
This.
I met the drummer from a decently famous band and had a decent conversation with him while smoking outside the venue between band changes.
>>
Isint that the only reason?
>>
>>28408714
Yeah but, normies talk about normie things. I wouldn't understand that.

The only safe conversation topic would be tobacco
>What sort of cigs do you like
>every try cigars?
>ever try e-cigs?
>my kind are 'all natural;, it's healthy
>wish I had some 420 at work heh heh heh

>tfw when it begins again: I used to smoke Marlboro, then I tried Pall Mall, now I'm back to Marlboro. every time that convo
>>
>>28408334
so, if I quit smoking I'd have an increased chance of getting lung cancer compared to if I didn't quit smoking?
>>
>>28409299
perhaps, but you're probably too young for it to make a difference. you'll likely just be the same as a never smoker. it's more like old people who smoke have lung problems, and the ones that quit fare worse than the ones that continue smoking, which contradicts the whole "smoking is the CAUSE of lung disease" medical me

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987706007808

>In an overview of personal history in a number of lung cancer patients locally, we are struck by the more than casual relationship between the appearance of lung cancer and an abrupt and recent cessation of the smoking habit in many, if not most cases. The association is more than just casual development of cancer within a few months of eschewing cigarette smoking.
>...
>The striking direct statistical correlation between cessation of smoking to the development of lung malignancies, more than 60% plus, is too glaring to be dismissed as coincidental.
>...
>Nicotine stimulates corticotrophin-releasing factor (CRF) besides increasing the level of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), both of which interfere with immune systems [2]. Abrupt withdrawal of the addictive drug could trigger derangement of the 'smoking-steroid' conferred immunity, priming the healing lung epithelia to dangerous levels uncontrolled cell division.
>...
>Larger studies and mass reviews of case histories in lung cancer patients could throw more light on this, rather unusual clinical observation. No doubt, tobacco kills too many. Or does it?
>>
>>28406285

have you ever seen any gangster movie ever???
>>
File: 1462274438803.png (47 KB, 318x317) Image search: [Google]
1462274438803.png
47 KB, 318x317
>>28409734
hmm, interesting
thanks for sharing anon!
>>
I started smoking at my last job as a pretext to take a break whenever I wanted.
>>
>>28409761
I'm not a nigger anon.
>>
>>28406185
The fuck man? Your teeth are probably SpongeBob yellow and I'd hate to be nearby to smell your breath
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.