[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone else worried when it comes to the future with respect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85 KB, 1040x727) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85 KB, 1040x727
Is anyone else worried when it comes to the future with respect to transhumanism (including mind uploading, superhuman enhancements), virtual/simulated reality, and other technological possibilities on the horizon? Where do you guys think we are heading with all this shit?
>>
>>28401300
a better place
>>
why would i be worried? thats gonna be awesome
>>
File: HrCA93k.png (112 KB, 536x582) Image search: [Google]
HrCA93k.png
112 KB, 536x582
>>28401300
It is most likely not happening, and if it does, it will be reserved for the elite (i.e. not us).
>>
>>28401337
this, transhumanism is a meme
>>
>>28401300
Imagine the insane amounts of torture you could cause when you have someones brain. It really makes me uncomfortable.
>>
>>28401383
yeah actually thats the only bad thing i thought about. if you had control of the brain you could also torture someone really badly
>>
>>28401334
>>28401333
>>28401369
You guys aren't thinking in depth enough. This shit is truly dangerous and we are fucking with the unknown
>>
>>28401300
You'll have been in the ground for 50 years before any of this becomes relevant to everyday life.
>>
>>28401300
i severely doubt we'll even reach that point before a worldwide upheaval shifts the paradigm
>>
>inb4 they wipe every movie/song/show youve ever seen from your memory cause muh copyright
>inb4 adds fucking everyware
>inb4 certin memories/funtions locked
>inb4 it becomes some horrid micro transaction shit
Its a cool idea, but its going to be fucking terrible in practice.
>>
File: adfad.jpg (33 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
adfad.jpg
33 KB, 480x454
>>28401383
>criminals will be put in an artificial hell for eternity
>>
Why is the woman robot running?
>>
>>28401540
We're probably only like 60 years away from artificial wombs, life extension, decent VR, and truly functioning robot workers / companions, but the Islamic Dark Ages will crush all this shit before it really gets off the ground. Elon Musk nailed it, humanity's near future hangs on a razors edge.
>>
>>28401540
I understand being cautious, but people also said the same thing about the internet when it first started as well.
>>
>>28401672
I could write a book about this.
>>
File: tumblr_no42rdMN8Y1uv6semo1_500.png (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no42rdMN8Y1uv6semo1_500.png
40 KB, 500x500
desu I think it wont happen for our generation but sometimes I think about if they ever be able to grow spare body organs and limbs for people using their own dna that would be cool
>>
>>28401300
If you can't fix it don't worry about it
>>
>>28401738
Internet and transhumanism is like night and day. In fact transhumanism is night and day with any other subject other than sentient AI
>>
>>28401759
Its fucking scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E
>>
File: 1462427919195.jpg (53 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1462427919195.jpg
53 KB, 600x800
>>28401679

This is the most horrifying potential outcome. The opportunities for misery and horror are far greater than the ones for beauty and greatness, especially initially.

I don't think any of this shit will actually happen, in my lifetime, thankfully, if they happen at all. Futurists are often pretty fucking off when it comes to timelines, and Kurzweil particularly ignores so many externalities that it's shocking.
>>
File: adam-jensen-closeup.jpg (50 KB, 660x350) Image search: [Google]
adam-jensen-closeup.jpg
50 KB, 660x350
Sarif was right about one thing. It's in our Nature to want to rise above our limits. Think about it. We were cold, so we harnessed fire. We were weak, so we invented tools. Every time we met an obstacle, we used creativity and ingenuity to overcome it. The cycle is inevitable... but will the outcome always be good? I guess that will depend on how we approach it. In the past, we've had to compensate for weakness, finding quick solutions that only benefit a few. But what if we never need to feel weak or morally conflicted again? What if the path Sarif wants us to take enables us to hold on to higher values with more stability? One thing is obvious. For the first time in history, we have a chance to steal fire from the gods. To turn away from it now - to stop pursuing a future in which technology and biology combine, leading to the promise of a Singularity - would mean to deny the very essence of who we are. No doubt the road to get there will be bumpy, hurting some people on the way. But won't achieving the dream be worth it? We can become the gods we've always been striving to be. We might as well get good at it.
>>
I want to become a machine already, rid me of this mortal coil so that I may live forever.
>>
File: TedKaczynskiAP_2228681b.jpg (52 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
TedKaczynskiAP_2228681b.jpg
52 KB, 620x387
>>28401738

>Implying this extension of postindustrial society into the direct stimulation and control of the human brain won't be the ultimate nightmare for 99.9999 percent of humanity
>>
all i can say is i don't trust other human beings with artificial reality, mind-uploads, sentient ai or any of that faustian shit.

the only thing technology in this age has done is enslave our people. wondrous things were done, but we seem to forget the costs. this cannot continue, and slavery cannot and never will be freedom
>>
>>28401738
>implying the internet hasn't contributed to the destruction of our economy and completely warped the minds of millions of people

I honestly believe many people wouldn't be robots if not for the internet. Unfortunately, I was hooked young.
>>
>>28401383
>>28401422
>>28401679
>>28401877
FUCK THAT
HELL NAWH
IM DONE
>>
>>28401912
None of those inventions compare to what stuff like conciousness uploading would do. It's would be a whole new era, one that would end horribly for the vast majority of people either enslaved in the machine or cast aside by their augmented superiors. Millions of people, including me, would probably take up arms to prevent that from happening if it were ever to become a real possibility. Letting a superior species come into existence is analogous to the native americans welcoming Columbus.
>>
>>28401300
AI is already halfway to completely replacing the entire workforce. It will happen but only corporations and the wealthy will have access
>>
>>28401300
>woman evolved from asian/latina to white

kek
>>
>>28401300
We're opening pandora's box
Shit's gonna get crazy
Not even necessarily bad, tho
Things were already bad to begin with
>>
>>28401861
This wouldn't be so bad as long as i wasn't dead
>>
File: 1437981253426.png (1 MB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1437981253426.png
1 MB, 919x720
>>28401679
>tfw that might be what this is
>>
>>28401300
transhumanism is the biggest meme i've heard of and even if its real i expect it not to happen this generation
>>
>>28402431
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mind_uploading
also read this
>>
>>28402276
>It will happen but only corporations and the wealthy will have access
That is doubtful. If a true AI is ever built it will decide for itself who will have access to it. I'm actually moderately optimistic about it, since there is a good chance that it will have much better sense of social justice than people.
>>
>>28402639
Just look at how automation is happening today. Tons of jobs are being replaced by machines and it doesn't look like it will stop. Even doctors and lawyers will lose out in the end. I assure you corporations will take control and prevent anyone else from profitting.
>>
>>28402639
>wishful thinking

An AI will never have a human conscience. You probably have never met a virtuous human being
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_iAUx02ApM

mind = blown, esp at the last part of the video
>>
File: 1453955123923.jpg (101 KB, 1280x702) Image search: [Google]
1453955123923.jpg
101 KB, 1280x702
>>28402639

>If a true AI is ever built it will decide for itself who will have access to it

You're assuming a "true" AI needs to think and work exactly like a human, or even a conscious being. That's just speculation.

>>28402735

Automation could be the most wonderful thing on the planet if the benefits weren't being shared only among those who already own everything.
>>
>>28401300
Hugo de Garis thinks we will undergo a war between people for and against machines which will result in giga death. If you watch the film Ex Machina you can also imagine other dangers. But that's mostly our western fears. The Japanese portray AI and robotics in a much more positive and light.

It depends on how we use the tech. My personal goal is to become an immortal cyborg space captain get a sweet crew and explore space.

This anon almost got it right though
>>28401724
Just replace his fear mongering around Islam with the actual threat of climate change and ecological collapse, and we really are on the precipice between dystopia and utopia.
>>
>>28402093
I'm with you. As much as I love the internet, it's extremely cancerous. I hear ads on the radio for programs that allow grade school kids to get state-accredited primary education from online courses now. That makes me sad, many of those kids will have absolutely zero idea how to function in adulthood. Internet can be a life ruiner man.
>>
>>28403061
I take virtual school and just socialize OUTSIDE of school
>>
>>28402872
>>wishful thinking
>An AI will never have a human conscience.
Well AI would need to base it's actions on something, so there must be some sort of conscience.
>You probably have never met a virtuous human being
Depends what you consider virtuous.
>>
>>28402947
AI doesn't need to think and work like a human. Pretty much all machines we build are better than humans in some way. So, at least in theory, AI should think and work better than human. Why even build it otherwise?
>>
>>28401759
Just read any cyberpunk
>>
>>28401300
goverment would have access to your memory and shit, They could control you or even kill by pressing 1 button. You would be addicted to them and they would make world slave
>>
>>28401497
we've been fucking with the unknown since we stood upright for the first time. you worry too much.
>>
I literally can't wait. Shouldn't you guys be happy that you'll be able to buy a new body and cuck chad with it? You can even get your own robot girlfriend(actual mechanical robots)
>>
>>28401861
Tom Scott is cool and a highly underrated youtuber, but this shit is retarded. by the time we reach transhumanism we'd have already beaten scarcity.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.