[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "smart but lazy" real, or just a meme? Wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1462336796219.gif (288 KB, 515x386) Image search: [Google]
1462336796219.gif
288 KB, 515x386
Is "smart but lazy" real, or just a meme?

Wouldn't an actual smart person go out in the world seeking opportunities and connections to move forward? Do smart people really live at their parents' houses watching anime all day?
>>
>>28382324
>"smart but lazy"
its pretend autism, pretend because I refuse to believe anybody considers themselves 'smart' when they are a neet loser
>>
smart people realize the game is rigged, there is no god, so you should just enjoy your life as best you can. anime is a high iq pastime as well. what's the point in "moving forward"? will it really make you happy? if it will, then do it. but don't act like you know what's best for everyone
>>
I suspect people that are both "smart and lel lazy" are above average intelligence, but not by much.
>>
>>28382324
of course it exists. Humans are still heavily influenced by their emotions. There are geniuses who have massive anger problems, when anyone knows getting mad like that isn't helpful at all.

Usually they're just above average intelligence as >>28382533 said. The world doesn't come to you on a platter in that case, you still have to do work, it's just a little easier for you. But because you fly through grade school which is designed so that even retards can pass, above average intellect kids come out with no work ethic.
>>
>>28382452
pretty much this, senpai.
original!!
>>
I'm smart and apathetic. A smart person can realise what they're doing by being lazy and stop, but I do the former and don't care enough to do the latter.
>>
>>28382324
They're smart at first, but as time goes on, they become dumbos.
>>
A genius of a certain disposition might conclude that most effort is annoying and futile and therefore deliberately aim to underachieve. However, an underachieving genius would appear to the world as a moderately successful normie who puts in zero effort, not an anime-loving wasteman.
>>
>>28382324
all that matters is what you've done, and what you're doing.
only morons care if they're smart.
>>
anime is for faggot losers.
/thread
>>
>>28382683
In truth you are as smart as anyone else.
>bu bu imma special snowflake
shut up. you are an intelligent ape like everyone else. You are better to none and none are better than you.
>>
Its mostly a meme. This isn't because smart but lazy people aren't real, but almost everyone thinks they and the people like them are smarter then everyone else. The reality is most are somewhere in the below to above average range, most likely in the middle, and are just lazy.
>>
I dunno bro, I'm pretty lazy but most people would think I'm smart.
>>
being smart normally made people more likely to go out and do things but in our society for the first 15 years you are forced to go at the pace of everybody else which makes you very bored and leads you to pursue things like video games where you can achieve things at the pace you desire.

I was a smart but lazy person and it took a shit ton of willpower after highschool to shift into being a productive person. I work 2 jobs now and am making really good money for somebody my age.

However if I went back to school I know I'd be lazy as fuck. School is not a good environment for smart people as it punishes those who excel.
>>
It's a real thing. It's just that most people who claim to be "smart but lazy" aren't.
I have a 125 IQ but I'm too lethargic to do anything with it.
>>
>>28382382
>I refuse to believe that people consider themselves to be smarter than the rest of the population

Just how stupid and naive are you?
>>
>>28382324
im 146 iq and dropped out of high school

thought I knew better than everyone else and that shit was just a waste of time

ended up just playing video games and not thinking about the future at all

I was smart in the short term which I thought would carry me long term but I didn't plan shit out and got cucked.
>>
>>28384659
iq and long term thinking have a pretty strong correlation.

good chance that you don't have 146 iq
>>
"Smart but lazy" is a real thing, but it's just saturated by the fake-shits because it's a "cool" thing to say.
>>
I think I am smart because in school I got smart grades on tests when I didn't study
>>
>>28384732
and being a teenager and being a shortsighted retard are pretty heavily correlated as well

think whatever you want I'm just laying out information for the OP to form his own opinion

that said I never called myself smart but lazy except when I was a teenager, I just think im good at recognizing patterns and memorizing them fast like an autismo not actually smart when it comes to real life things/real problem solving
>>
>>28384567
let me guess, you're smart but lazy
>>
Shouldn't smart but lazy people succeed in spite of their laziness? What's with this meme of "yeah I flunked out of high school but I'm smarter than you" I see sometimes
>>
>>28384509
>it punishes those who excel.
How?
>>
>>28385315
Well lets take an anecdotal example of me; I passed IB calc 3/4, IB physics 2, and IB film 2 as an 11th grader, passed all my tests with at least a 5 out of 7, and failed the IB diploma because we needed to do an Internal Assignment by ourselves on a topic of our choosing that I literally just did not do. Had no idea what to do honestly, it took me nearly 6 years to finally unlearn my awful upbringing and realize that I had to work for shit.

I also nearly failed highschool despite getting no less than a 90 on any test because I would literally do no homework or out of class assignments, and that drags your grades into the mud. The only reason I ended up passing at all is because my math teacher and principal let me do a self assessment project, so for fun I used self taught vector calculus to simulate a lunar landing on a 2d plane, and then they forced all the other teachers to let it count as part of my grade.
>>
>>28385324
you get ostracized for being a nerd
>>
>>28385448
I thought that was just an American movie meme.
>>
>>28385587
in my experience the movies are just an exaggeration. it's not that bad, but you will have few friends, zero attention from the opposite sex, will be teased, etc. if you happen to be good looking you can probably escape that though.
>>
A lot of people who get called "smart but lazy" probably have ADHD or a similar learning disorder
>>
>>28382324
People consider themselves "smart but lazy" because they got straight A's all the way through to the end of highschool while only ever bothering to study the night before tests, as if that's an impressive feat whatsoever.
>>
>>28382324
Everybody is lazy to an extent. Everybody is only as smart as others are willing to say, and many people are smart in some way.
>>
>>28386700
>in some way.
intelligence in one area is highly correlated with intelligence in other areas. the idea that everyone is smart, just in different areas, (aka "multiple intelligences") is a feelgood meme that has been disproved. maybe you're talking about knowledge, not intelligence?
>>
>>28384380
are you implying that intelligence is static?
>>
I tell myself I'm smart so I can feel better about being lazy, even though I'm actually just a dipshit who has no hope of succeeding.
>>
>>28382324
>smart but lazy
Yeah, it's a meme. I used to be that way and then I got out into the real world.

Now I know that I'm just plain dumb and still lazy.
>>
>>28382324
I don't call myself smart but lazy because that's just a meme
But I have streaks of extreme laziness. I kick myself out of them eventually, once an exam comes up, so my grades end up being good but it's still annoying to read for 3 straight days because I didn't bother earlier
>>
>>28382452
>smart people realize the game is rigged
this
>>28382585
>>28382533
>above average intelligence
and this
>>28386700
>Everybody is lazy to an extent. Everybody is only as smart as others are willing to say, and many people are smart in some way.
this too

everything's been said already
>>
>>28382324
No, however "smart but depressed" "smart but mentally ill" are real.
>>
>>28382452
One of the most reasonable posts I have seen on this board desu
>>
File: picturethis.jpg (88 KB, 425x292) Image search: [Google]
picturethis.jpg
88 KB, 425x292
Because you don't necessarily want to use your smarts to "seek opportunities and move forward". Lazyness is the mother of all good inventions. I bet the prehistoric robot cavemen who didn't fit in groups and lived off of scavenging were smarter than Chad Thunderclub who likely had a 30% chance of dying in a hunt.
>>
>>28384659
you don't have a 146 IQ you retard
>>
>>28386820
Fuck if I know, that all sounds the same to me anyway. Like intelligence and intellect are similar words and I can never remember the difference no matter how many times I look at the definitions. Same applies to this knowledge/intelligence circumstance.

Point being people will say you're smart at something or dumb at something, and that's all we'll ever have to go by. More of a matter of perception, especially with people who don't do proper research like the vast majority of people. Which as it so happens are the only people that matter.
>>
>>28382324
No. I know that there is no happiness for me in this world. The smart choice would be to quit, so that I don't hurt myself even more. I wouldn't classify myself as lazy though, just unmotivated.
>>
File: 1461121957963.png (414 KB, 530x464) Image search: [Google]
1461121957963.png
414 KB, 530x464
I'm too lazy to type a post explaining myself
>>
what about that russian mathematician that solved the millenium problem? pretty sure he didn't like the fame he got and just went back to being a NEET.

This is an extreme example I guess, but it proves that at least 1 exists.
>>
I get pretty good grades w/ minimal studying or much effort, and get told I'm smart. I'd been one of those kids other kids would ask the answers to shit on assignments in grade school, and even now (though less) in college.

However, I know that I'm average at best, and actually probably below in some areas. I cannot produce anything useful and w/o intervention always fail in practical applications of the knowledge.

tldr = i'm a good "test taker", but know i'm actually dumb, won't accomplish my goals, and it's a bad feel.
>>
>>28387074
fucking this

school is just a glorified certification process, nothing more
>>
i'm really lazy. but when it's time to be responsible, that's what i do. but man i can be dumb a lot of times. it's weird because i good at taking exams. it's pretty much what i've been doing my whole life. but when you put me out there in the real world i pretty much panic and my confidence disappears. I'm really bad at math but when i'm taught something sometimes, i tend to learn quickly.
>>
File: slaves.png (108 KB, 370x321) Image search: [Google]
slaves.png
108 KB, 370x321
>>28387074
>have degree in math
>people think this means I'm smart
>tfw I'm actually retarded
>>
File: 1421030216653.jpg (87 KB, 400x269) Image search: [Google]
1421030216653.jpg
87 KB, 400x269
>>28382324
It's just an excuse that faggots use to make them feel better about their life and all the achievements they don't have. They're basically in denial about how shit they are.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.