[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get over my fear of driving/driving anxiety? I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 1461636049049.jpg (37 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1461636049049.jpg
37 KB, 480x480
How do I get over my fear of driving/driving anxiety? I need to get my license but I can't get rid of my anxiety. Any tips for a robot?
>>
>>28382300
bumping for dubs and answers
>>
I'm with you on that one OP. I'm not wild about driving huge hunks of death entirely too fast.
>>
>>28382571
Bumping for two robots.
>>
>>28382300
Yup, one of the reasons I'm not putting up an effort to learn. It doesn't help that people drive like maniacs here.
>>
>>28382300

Meh, I already have my license and driving is a huge pain in the ass for me. But with time you atleast develop skills which make you somewhat comfortable with driving a big metal coffin.
There is really nothing I or anyone else can give you here. Learning to drive is stupidly straightforward, you learn the rules, you drive and fuck up a couple of times, you get your license some day.

You will have to swallow the horror or rely on public transport, that is how this shit works.
>>
>>28382300
>How do I get over my fear of driving/driving anxiety?
Drive
>>
>>28382300
I'm so uncoordinated, I cannot imagine lasting five minutes driving.
>>
You have to get behind the wheel. That is your only option.

Go with a family member and practice in an parking lot sometime in the late afternoon/night when there will be minimum people around. Driving at night time is generally the best option because of lower traffic, don't worry about the darkness as I am going to assume you live in a first world country and the streets should be properly maintained blacktop with functioning streetlights plus car headlights, you will be able to see the road just fine.

Take professional lessons with a dual brake car on occasion to get an accurate handle on some of the more difficult techniques of driving, like reverse parallel parking, hill starts, stopping the car properly and being comfortable letting it 'roll' when going down hills. Practice this with family members. Do little drives when you can, like to nearby shops and such to ease into it.

I know its very 'b urself' tier but driving isn't that complicated and many of the road safety rules are common sense. Its one of those things where you're anxious for the first 4 or 5 minutes which reduces to a careful apprehension when you're still learning, to starting out as an annoyance before degrading to auto-pilot boredom when you've been doing it for a while.

Think of it like an efficiency boost. You gotta get somewhere on the other side of the city? No problems a car and GPS nav will get you there in 30 minutes, but as you are now OP you would have to use public transport so enjoy your 2 hour commute.
Think of how great it would feel controlling your own transportation and not needing to wake up and precise times to get a bus or being constantly at the mercy of timetable fuckups and maintenance works adding 10, 20 or 30 minutes to your trip when you're already late.
>>
File: 1456340409231.jpg (35 KB, 637x481) Image search: [Google]
1456340409231.jpg
35 KB, 637x481
>>28382300
>put on a comfy radio station
>put on driving gloves
>stick watch on steering wheel
>wear a white satin jacket with a scorpion on the back
>>
>>28382754
>>28382850
Thanks senpai for the tips. I'm slowly growing more comfortable with moving and everything but still have issues switching lanes. I guess I'll have to keep on going with it then.
>>
File: 1460322103431.png (100 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
1460322103431.png
100 KB, 342x245
>>28382300
>tfw u been driving regularly for 5 years and still freak out when turning left
>>
>>28384143
What's wrong with turning left compared to right?
>>
>>28382300
>not knowing that the most effective way to get rid of a fear is by habituating yourself to it

top kek. get behind a wheel with a passenger and do what you feel comfortable with.
>>
>>28382300
Just practice. Seriously that's all you need to do. Go to an empty lot and practice turning. Then get on the street and drive with an experienced driver who'll tell you when to turn and when to change lanes so that you arent overwhelmed. After you're comfortable there, get on the freeway and practice staying at a constant 65mph.
>>
>>28384585
having to watch for traffic from two directions
>>
>>28384632
Thank you senpai. Practicing is what I'm doing, just seems like it'd be impossible for me to drive fluently.
>>
With a good amount of wealth is it possible to never have to drive again? I have my license and can drive but I still find it too overwhelming.
>>
File: k.jpg (836 KB, 2592x1552) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
836 KB, 2592x1552
>>28382300
I could never do it. All my life I had ridden bicycles everywhere. With bicycles you know exactly where every part of the piece of metal you're moving is at all times. With cars, you have a giant fucking cage around you with blind spots and shit. So I just got a scooter and was able to maintain that "completely in control" feeling.
>>
>>28382300
Skip the license, I've been driving without one for like 4 years lmao
>>
>>28385328
That's illegal bruh
>>
>>28382300
drink and drive, litteraly NEVER EVER EVER DRIVE SOBER!!!
>>
File: image.gif (112 KB, 255x231) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
112 KB, 255x231
>>28382300
>Tfw I got my license and haven't driven in three years and now have to get use to driving again but I'm rusty and don't have the same confidence I had back then so I'm scared to drive again
Fuckin hell im just like you op except I have get use to the road again, I've been only able to drive on backroad and do really small trips but I haven't got back to traffic yet, still trying to muster enough courage to do it, I was thinking about going back to driving school for a second lesson but I don't have the money
>>
>>28382300
Go out into a very crowded area tomorrow and shit your pants.

Once you hit rock bottom everything's a breeze in comparison.
>>
>>28382300
After a while the actions your doing will slowly become more autonomous so you'll find it easier and easier the more you do it. Like paying attention to making sure you do all the mirror checks etc will slowly just become instinct so it's just a matter of repetition
>>
>>28386372
How long did it take you for everything to become instinct?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.