[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long do you think it will take for humanity as a whole to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
File: 1462314513420.jpg (90 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1462314513420.jpg
90 KB, 720x960
How long do you think it will take for humanity as a whole to "wake up"?

It's 2016, and access to information and psychedelic drugs has never been easier thanks to the widespread proliferation of the internet.

When will the ego meme die? When will everyone realize that they are literally playing a "persona" and that the real them is the universe? When will people realize that every single thing on Earth is a VERY, VERY close relative and that we all started life here as a unicellular organism, happened upon sexual reproduction so much more diverse and complex life became possible, became ocean dwelling simple life, more complex fish, dinosaurs, we all experienced the massive meteorite millions of years ago, and that right now we're all just in another form-human beings.

When will the meme of identifying one's whole self with one's mental accountant/radar, the ego, die? This has come to the point where it's not funny anymore. I'm sure every other advanced civilization in the universe is cognizant of this fact, but humans are so fucking ass backwards it's embarrasing. Why do we keep trying to hide the fact that we're all really just star dust that just so happened to congeal into intelligent life?
>>
And then? What then?
>>
no one cares that you do drugs op now fuck off back over to reddit
>>
Fuck outta here OP
>>
The huge fucking mistake you just made was applying ego to animalistic nature.

Animals don't have ego like we do.
And they will fuck your mother and eat your spleen, fellow earthling.
>>
you have to be over 18 to post here

qwew324
>>
>>28376250
We stop being assholes.

No one is better than anyone else.

I don't know though. I'd bet money on the fact that this planet would be a better place to experience existence, though. If we just keep going on this path then it'd be in everyone's best interest just to glass Earth and hope that the next "stop" (the next environment that is per-chanced upon that has the sufficient conditions to support some forms of life) and the next evolutionary path is less shitty.

Alternatively, we could just commit suicide on every single planet that we coalesce into life on until the heat death of the universe, and then just hope that the next universe or stage for existence can furnish more comfortable quarters for the flipside of the coin-the experiencers of life.
>>
>>28376161
brain hardware has to develop more before this is an easy thing for the average person to do. right now, only the best of us can study and practice for decades to acheive this state and only a rare few prodigies realize it without this hard work.

we have more evolution to sustain before this state is common.
>>
>>28376348
asdf
So what's your point in all this?
>>
>>28376290
You don't have to do drugs to come to this conclusion. At all. I just went to highschool and took some college science courses it all just added up like this.

This isn't some stoner or psychonaut meme, this is like 2+2=4 or the sky is blue. It's just taboo as fuck right now in our society just like how proclaiming that the Earth was round or not center of the solar system was taboo some hundreds of years ago.

This is exactly the egocentric attitude I'm talking about.
>>
>>28376161
>[people] are literally playing a "persona" and that the real them is the universe
>every single thing on Earth is a VERY, VERY close relative
>the meme of identifying one's whole self with one's mental accountant/radar, the ego
>we're all really just star dust that just so happened to congeal into intelligent life

The day that humanity is truly doomed is the day that people consider such a vague heap of druggie dung 'knowledge'. 'Wake up' my ass. If my son told me anything like that instead of asking me valid biological or cosmological questions, I'd slap his shit.
>>
>>28376348
>No one is better than anyone else.
This is blatantly false, how are you defining "better"?
>>
>>28376394
>It's just taboo

For something to be taboo it has to make sense. You're making making no claims, you're not discussing cladistics or anything, it's literally 'we're all connected and identity doesn't real'.
>>
>>28376394
so basically "I'm right and enlightened, and you're not because of my newfound knowledge"? druggies never cease to amaze.
>>
This will never happen. Everyone has their own opinion on things and we'll never ever think the same way. We're not robots
>>
>>28376532

But man if we just all sat down and smoked a joint and all got along together, the world would be a better place. We're all the universe.
>>
>>28376290
>>28376297
>>28376299
>>28376307
>>28376404
Don't post this stuff here, OP.

/r9k/ has its collective head so far up its ass...
>>
>>28376444
Anon, he's obviously saying that because his tripping has left him with an inflated ego (yes, ego), self-complacency, 'wow I understood it all, it all makes sense now', which he's nonetheless still afraid of voicing this way, so he extends it onto everyone else, 'we're all (not just myself) perfect just the way we are', so to avoid offending anyone and a backlash.

Is it the first time you're talking to a druggie?
>>
>>28376594

stop virtue-signaling stupid normalfag, OP isn't going to bond with you just for sharing his opinion. don't be pathetic
>>
>>28376594
You might have fooled *some* people, samefag, if you left out that gratuitous snarky final comment.

>captcha: choose all buildings with pillars

Nice. Architecture is more interesting than food.
>>
File: 1388774824168.jpg (753 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1388774824168.jpg
753 KB, 1280x800
>>28376394
Humanity isn't ready yet. The competitive culture that Britain and USA (thus the ego meme) created should die first. Then a lot of time will pass until a new culture takes over. The things that you're talking about are real, but they are still embryons compared to the current way of life.
>>
>>28376161
>the entirety of existence
>then, ANON
>OK, actually guys, this isn't funny anymore, we NEED to stop trump Right Now!
>>
>>28376161
>drugs remove your ego
>help you become the true you
drugs are medicine that make you act a certain way
the very fact that the side-effects are the same for everyone just means that the medicine is successful

>>28376563
If everyone just sat down and took a bunch of sleeping pills, we'd all be too tired to fight
Sedating everyone isn't the answer
>>
>>28376672

>competitive culture that britian and usa created

buddy, human nature is genetic, not cultural
>>
>>28376404
Anon you fucking dumb, no wonder you alone
>>
>>28376672
>'I'm gonna wave some vague, ambiguous "ego" accusation/bogeyman around until people comply to my arbitrary standards of what makes a good person!'

In case anyone doesn't know yet, this is exactly the kind of hypocrisy that people hate druggies for.
>>
I lost all hope in humanity and have lots of hatred towards Mongols, but then again they weren't people, just subhuman savages who were gods at war
>>
>>28376444
He means in the sense that humans and life are inherently meaningless so no matter your achievements you aren't above or below anyone, you just are.
>>
>>28376709

I think his response was right and you know that, so it made you mad, and you insulted him because you couldn't think of anything else.

Am I right?
>>
So i am one with the distant star i see in the sky? That's a pretty cool way of thinking OP

Now what do i do
>>
Keanu is the most attractive man I have ever seen desu. If I had one wish it would be to look like him.
>>
>>28376749
>Now what do i do

Why, educate the rest, of course.

>viral enlightenment
>>
>>28376746

Nihilists are so confusing. Why do they even bother to talk to anybody
>>
>>28376749
explode
>>
>>28376746
That, 'we're all insignificant in the cosmic scale and it is time everyone realized that', is the most tired, implausible justification of sitting on your ass smoking weed and gossiping with your smelly friends how humanity must undergo a transformation ever.
>>
>>28376697
human nature is one thing, the society that you live in is a different thing.
>>28376724
Judging from a personal point of view is pointless. Time will show what's right and wrong by weeding out those who are unworthy.
>>
>>28376834
>'Judging from a personal point of view is pointless.'
>backpedals a druggie after he had literally judged an entire planet in his OP
>>
>>28376851
>>28376834
Also, nice appeal to ignorance in your second sentence.
>>
>>28376161
>tfw the world wont be based of scientific discussion, to find a good and non currupt way to do things
>tfw the world wont adopt a "everyone be nice to others" mentality that benifits all
I just want the world to be nice, and probably more productive and smart with how it solves things. Society stop being egotistical and start absorbing and assimilating robots instead of ridiculing them and casting them out plz
>>
>>28376924
Tip, anon: the more you hear about 'being rational' or 'scientific' or 'critical' from someone, the faster you should GTFO from them for your own good. Rational people actually have knowledge and competence and hobbies to talk about, they are no longer amused by preaching to people, they have circuits or vessels or drivers or sensors to discuss about. The more one talks about logic or science in itself, the more retarded they are.
>>
>>28376924
>He actually thinks that "normies" are actively trying to cast him out when in reality he's just isolating himself in a bubble of cynicism and self-loathing
>>
>>28376978
In fact, the more one talks about science, the more religious they are. Give it a thought and you'll see that it's true.
>>
>>28376685
You guys are pretty literal sometimes. These philosophies have existed since 200bc and are in no way new wacky druggy ways of thinking, they just tend to appeal to the perpetually 'chill'. But the idea is that the primal nature of our social structure (which despite our technological advances still isn't much more complex than a basic primate heirarchy.) Is what holds us back from contentment.

The expectation of a societal shift is laughable for the exact reasons this thread shows. OP If you're going to discuss these philosophies, read about them and don't just start talking about drugs. Also if you understood what you're talking about you'd know that it is in no way your place to attempt to forcefully influence anyone, the whole point is natural flow.

>Discussing vaguely creative spiritual ideals you know nothing about
>With autists

Clever sausage
>>
>>28376473
>>28376519
He is technically right on all the scientific stuff but it's his opinion on the whether the ego matters or not that concerns us.

I disagree with the idea that humans would be better off with a complete disassociation of the ego. Having memories and experiencing a wide variety of emotions and hurts and desires is part of the human experience. It's something amazing and it's unfair to downplay its importance.
>>
>>28377054
>Is what holds us back from contentment.

The old Buddhist 'we should all care less and become less materialistic... but in moderation' shit?

>the whole point is natural flow

Yes, it's it. The tell-tale, meaningless, true-by-definition caveats, 'the way for humanity to do the right thing is to ensure that the thing it's doing is right (here: natural)', is here.
>>
>>28376834

human nature makes up society because society is made up of humans

dumbass hippie
>>
>>28377153
>I disagree with the idea that humans would be better off with a complete disassociation of the ego.

You're new to this, aren't you? He's going to reply with the mandatory Buddhist cop-out, 'when I talked about ego dissolution, I obviously meant that it shouldn't be done to the point of affecting your experience or your motivation'. That's the essence of the Buddhist schtick: they spout drive-degenerating shit like 'you should destroy your ego', hoping that not everyone will think to ask 'but what if it makes me passive?' like you did. And if someone does ask, they'll still weasel out with their 'the point is to do it in moderation' justification, even if reluctantly.
>>
>>28377239
In short, OP is immoral because he acts connotatively: what he says is logically true/tautological ('we should care as little (be as "ego-less") as possible without affecting that which shouldn't be affected' -- duh), but he's wholly relying on that claim's connotations, its power to change your priorities, even minimally, into just chilling and hanging out and (whatever else he arbitrarily wants other people to do), namely, into everything that's stereotypically associated with the concept of 'the ego is bad'.
>>
I saw God. Sure life would be better if everyone stopped hating each other, but then what? We're are the challenges, rivals, and goals in that life? We must seek to obtain the best this world has to offer, true love.
The biggest problem that needs to be solved is multiculturalism, it's too easy to divide people and make them feel worthless
>>
>>28377367
I'm not saying anyone should do anything with this knowledge.

What I am saying is that why isn't this shit taught in schools? Why is this stuff conveniently left out?
>>
>>28377461
Because it's unfalsifiable shit that only overassociative brains see sense in.
>>
File: B-abkniIIAAIJwE.jpg (38 KB, 541x417) Image search: [Google]
B-abkniIIAAIJwE.jpg
38 KB, 541x417
>>28376161
>advocating drug use
>woke meme
>collectivism
I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
>>28377239
but destroying your ego doesn't make you passive, it just prevents you from becoming hateful and destructive when you don't get your way.

Ego attachment: "I didn't get a job after college! Life is unfair! girls won't date me! I hate the human race! This life is shit and I hate normies who succeed!"

Ego detachment: "I haven't done as well in life as I wanted to and I feel disappointment, but there is still time to make more of my life without worrying about my broken expectations"

that's why it's good to do. it makes you a better person. It doesn't make you sit there like a fucking retard going "nothing matters so I'll just chill until I die"
>>
>>28376161
Ever wonder why every hippie says the same shit? Is it because they've stumbled upon the truth of the universe? Do they know something we don't?

Nope, just turns out they just cooked part of their brain with drugs and now everything seems profound. This is a documented effect of psychedelics; congrats OP you're brain damaged.
>>
hur dur, muh new age energy crystals and muh dream catchers and muh universal consciousness. just fuck off op. you dropped too much acid and now your brain is mush.
>>
>>28377664
Way to refuse to understand my post. You're just continuing to do what I described: WHEN YOU SENSE THAT AN EXPLICITATION IS IN ORDER, you by definition deflect criticism by your personal flavour of 'no true': 'nothing I truly want other people to do entails any loss of drive or motivation'. But IN EMPIRICAL PRACTICE, THE CIRCLE that you represent, the circle that makes use of phrases such as 'detach yourself from your ego', is spiteful, lying, uneducated, and lacks sense of humour. There is hardly anything to gain from tautologymasters like you. Religious people don't speak of real relationships between life performance, such as amount of 'let go of your ego' versus, say, cars fixed, children taught, or lies pointed out -- instead, they speak in safe cliches like 'don't dwell on pointless things'.
>>
>>28376161
It'll never happen. Mankind will exterminate itself long before it gets over drugs, whoring around and generally wrecking itself into an early grave while taking as many other species with it as it can.

Primates were a mistake.
>>
>>28377732
I hope this is sarcasm. OP's post is not that hard to understand.
>>
>>28377721
>Ever wonder why every hippie says the same shit?

I did. I imagine drugs, 'meditation' and so on just overactivate parts of the brain that provoke some empathetic responses, like 'we're all equal', or fuck up with your term definitions, so you find shit like 'we're one with the universe' acceptable -- you get attracted to extending definitions, and metaphors, rather than disambiguating them. And they're too unintrospective to notice that. It's neuroscience.
>>
>>28377664
this so called ego-detachment is still egotistical, it's just a different perspective. Both were responses due to a challenged ego...
>>28377721
Yep.
>>
File: 1437377483586.jpg (121 KB, 540x729) Image search: [Google]
1437377483586.jpg
121 KB, 540x729
>>28376672
>Fight Club
>Super philosophical
>The answer is to hit each other a lot
Bill Hickman would be proud.
>>
>>28377598
>chains
SLAVERY HAS BEEN ABOLISHED FOR 2 CENTURIES WHAT THE HELL AMERICA
>>
>>28377917
we have nothing to lose but our chains is a communist slogan
>>
>>28377860
>this so called ego-detachment is still egotistical

That might be true, but you don't even need to dig that far. You can just realize how druggies brand as 'egoistic' whoever disagrees with them about anything to realize they're shit.
>>
>>28377952
I mean:

>'I don't think that it can meaningfully be said that I'm the same as my neighbour.'
>'THAT'S A DELUSION OF AN EGOISTIC MIND!'

>'I think that equalization of me with everyone else is an ulterior desire of yours of popular approval.'

>'I think you're just using a cliche.'
>>
File: 0641_-_nWdz40P.jpg (22 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
0641_-_nWdz40P.jpg
22 KB, 306x306
>>28376161
You sound like a stereotypical LOL WEED DUDE Bernie supporter. You have no understanding of philosophy. Also, you're a hypocrite. You want humans to overcome their ego all while acting smug that everyone else is too dumb to overcome the ego. Go read a book you stupid, pretentious faggot.
>>
>>28377991
>>28377952
In short, 'being caught in the trappings of the ego' makes as much sense as the classic 'narrow-minded'. You can ignore it.
>>
>>28377794
I think OP is also equating an ego-less humanity with a sort of hivemind. I guess we would be "better" in the sense of efficiency in completing immense goals such world peace and, if you want to really pull back the magnifying glass, building a galactic empire.

But it doesn't say dick about personal happiness, which is pretty important for us ego-bound beings.
>>
>>28378059
>happiness

The problem with happiness is that it can be 'achieved' when you just drop your goals and are happy with whatever goes. That's why I consciously reject the prospect of 'unconditional happiness' that Buddhists so love and consciously try to structure myself so that only achievement of particular goals makes me happy, until which I'm miserable. Because only that can keep me motivated.
>>
>>28376161
Without egos there would never be competition in life. Without competition there would never be any struggle for dominance. Without that struggle there would be no advances in technology or in evolution.
>>
>>28378103
(Of course, every time I even *think* about myself, my happiness, detaches me from my real-life goals by throwing me into self-contemplation (which is why Buddhists are so bent on 'self-awareness', 'mindfulness', and so on -- the more people do that, the less they end up actually wanting and doing). But that factor is by definition impossible to work with -- the only way for me to be productive is to just get thrown into the treadmill of desire externally. Every time I think about the need to put myself on it, I decrease the likelihood that it happens. Motivation can only be imposed by evolutionary, instinctive, social etc. means. 'Self-awareness' just tears you away from it.)
>>
>>28378195

Who needs competition when you have weed and bernie maaaaaan
>>
>>28378199
tl;dr what this anon said: >>28378195. Thank you.
>>
>>28376161
People with egos are better at self-preservation than people without. They end up having more kids, who have egos of their own.

There's your answer.
>>
>>28378199
Also, >inb4 'you can consciously choose to motivate yourself' -- as though that were guaranteed to happen with anyone who's gone down the 'destroy da ego' path.
>>
File: 1453091895203.png (99 KB, 550x818) Image search: [Google]
1453091895203.png
99 KB, 550x818
Why is it that everyone who does psychedelics is such a fedora wearing wikipedia philosopher faggot?

You're worse than the stoners
>>
>>28376161

>psychedelic drugs

You're not supposed to post here if you're under 18 OP.
>>
>>28378319
Psychedelics alter their brain to make them that way. It's part of their condition.
>>
>>28378319
>Why is it that everyone who does psychedelics is such a fedora wearing wikipedia philosopher faggot?

They're just self-unaware/ That's why I used to call 'psychedelics' psychecryptics -- obscurers of psyche, including one's pretension.

Seriously, though, this: >>28378354. They literally make you associate two concepts, think they 'correspond' in some vague way, and believe that they are the shit. They literally degenerate your standards of 'making sense'.
>>
>>28378418 >>28378354

Hi can you please give me some links on that, seems really interesting
>>
>>28378481
Honestly?

I can't.

I've never seen an article about 'psychedelics' that was less than apotheotic (often literally, cf. '[plant/fungus x] is God's gift to mankind') in tone.

You just realize some running trends. 'I understood reality isn't real' suggesting just psychiatric derealization. 'I understood everything I know could be wrong' suggesting the effect being just neurological confusion. 'I understood I should have been nicer' and 'I understood that [x] doesn't matter' betraying general ignorance in thinking that such claims are objective. 'I understood that reality is a [insert shape]' betraying overactive pattern recognition. And so on. The various 'don't dismiss them before you try yourself', 'who are you to judge the meaningfuless of another's experiences', and 'not all knowledge has to be objective' also show that they can't be too mind-expanding if they didn't even progress the user past such cliches. It's been a time that I heard druggies so I don't remember as much.
>>
>DUDE WEED LMAO!
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>28376161
For someone talking so much about how everyone should let go of their egos you seem pretty egotistical and pretentious
>>
>>28377882
>>28376851
>>28377205
Nice shitposting guys I'm proud of you. Your strong and powerful egos blew my junkie aura away.
>>
>>28376161
You are not your khakis the post
>>
>>28376161
I've been in that pizza shop
>>
>>28376161
Are you fucking retarded? Wait don't answer that it was a rhetorical question, retard.
>>
>>28376161

It's pathetic.
My family members just rage all day, complain, spread bad mood to each other...
They are COMPLETELY at the mercy of their egos.
I've actually just made a similar thread here

>>28381254
>>
>>28376161
lmao wtf r u on about kid

gtfo outta here nigga
>>
File: 1462287512845.jpg (44 KB, 480x551) Image search: [Google]
1462287512845.jpg
44 KB, 480x551
>>28376161
if you had actually experienced self-realization, you would
1. realize why things are this way (hint: this is a natural cycle of civilization, you ain't in satya yuga anymore) and
2. not be so asshurt about it

psychedelics can be great if your mind is properly trained to handle that level of mental stimulation, otherwise it makes you spew pseudo-philosophical garbage (most people) and water down something which is worth knowing, driving people (like the ones in this thread) away from it
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.