[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else here is trying to learn a language? How's it coming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: big_1438621846_image.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
big_1438621846_image.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
Who else here is trying to learn a language? How's it coming?
>>
Learning French and German.

Its going well when I actually practice, but there will be weeks at a time when I completely forget to.
>>
I wish I could. I'm a dumbfuck and I feel just being able to speak another would make me feel smarter and give me confidence, for some illogical reason.

t. amerifat
>>
>playing vidya
>switch language to Japanese
>learn katakana so I can rean names
>study online to learn basic sentence structure/vocabulary
>try rosetta stone
>too lazy to practice writing or learn kanji
>little to no progress lately
>>
>>28360186
How good are you at the two?
>>
>>28360225
Have you ever actually tried? It really does give you plenty of self confidence... and then it brings you down again.
>>
>>28360241
Hey, little progress is still progress. You keep it up, even at a small pace, you'll eventually learn the language.
>>
Yes, trying to learn Arabic. I think it's going pretty well but still a long way to go.
>>
>>28360638
How are you learning? What resources are you using?
>>
>>28360704
I'm self studying using free books online(it's free because the copyright has run out, so it's still a good book).
>>
thinking about learning japanese
but I have about 10 million other things on my plate right now and I don't want to commit to learning something if i'm not going to really go for it
>>
Currently mainly studying japanese, but i always pick up and put down a handful of other languages on the side like french, german, espranto etc.
>>
took spanish in high school up to AP level

now i'm learning JP

i want to work in international baseball media :3
>>
Learning Italian. My studies are going well but I need someone to chat with. Everyone on hellotalk that I chat with cuts contact aftercare few days and it becomes a chore to find new people. Now I'm back to square one.

Either stop learning or find new medium. I use the Assassins Creed series to help too. Just put the game in Italian and I'm good to go.
>>
>been learning japanese for years

>know enough to read most manga without looking anything up

>started reading "real" books (no, not light novels)

>get discouraged because no japanese want to talk to a foreigner, even over the internet and my skill has no practical use because I don't have a degree in japanese

>no significant japanese population in my town to talk to either

>can't brag about my japanese skills because people will assume I'm a giant weeb (i kind of am, but I hide my powerlevel)

>get a feeling so complicated
>>
I've been learning Chinese for 3 years, I'd say I'm intermediate level. Visiting China this Summer.
>>
>>28360917
>get discouraged because no japanese want to talk to a foreigner, even over the internet and my skill has no practical use because I don't have a degree in japanese

Keep learning, keep getting better. Infiltrate their Chans. Convince them to fight for ethno nationalism.
>>
>>28360931
>Visiting China
Good luck. Worst experience of my life.
>>
>>28360833
>International baseball media
How does that even work? Legit interested.
>>
>>28361090
What happened anon?
Visiting Beijing.
>>
>>28361120
Go to Detroit. Now imagine Detroit where people try to con you out of money every chance they get and a bottle of water costs 10 yuan.
>>
I've tried to learn Latin several times, but I aways give up. I intend on trying again this summer.

Hopefully I'll be able to read Virgil and Descartes some time in the future.
>>
>>28361269
Why read them in Latin, though?
>>
>>28360241
I recommend working through both Genki textbooks and using memrise/anki for vocabulary. Rosetta stone is rubbish.

>>28360917
Try lang8, anon. The Japanese there want to learn languages just like you and are very open to practising.

Your skill does have use - go find those doujinshi tagged with translation request and deliver quality smut to the monolingual masses.
>>
>>28360162
I'm still struggling with English, after that I'm picking a second language
>>
>>28360162
Latin, going moderately well. Meae littera est non bona, sed amo mei latinus et amo roma.

Still needs work, also only on latin 1. Would recommend, significantly improved my grammar.
>>
>>28360162
German. I was learning french but I decided to abandon it because it's a terrible language.

At least the germans pronounce their words properly. The french are all over the place.
>>
>>28360162
I think I've learned most of english, but as a millenial Murican, I still have a ways to go, especially with subtle grammar mistakes, and typos. Spelling is hard for spellcheck spoiled us ;_;.

But no really, I've tried to learn Japanese, but around the time download.cnet went to shit I gave up, years ago.
>tfw remembering all of the cool free software that was teaching me is now gone
>tfw even if it wasn't gone I'm poor enough to be using cheap Andoids now
>>
>>28360162
Learning Spanish for a trip to Europe at the moment

It's surprisingly easy, as you can say quite a lot with just a conjugated verb and basic three word sentences

not fluent yet tho
>>
File: 1333942996506s.jpg (11 KB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
1333942996506s.jpg
11 KB, 197x200
>>28362538

It's going to get a bit harder once you get into the moods.
>>
>>28362456
just download language software from kat . cr
>>
File: 1444835610260.png (40 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1444835610260.png
40 KB, 200x200
>>28362561
>mfw indicative vs subjunctive vs imperative
>>
im learning japanese so i can go to japan and ogle their women
>>
I just can't learn a language myself. I'd need some kind of mentor to guide me along.
>>
>>28362567
>1 hour remaining
>5 hours remaining
>1 week
>"no one else is leeching wtf?"
>2 weeks
>29 weeks
>infinity symbol again
Fuck torrents. I've always hated torrents, as someone that never has home Internet hardly ever. Ever since limewire died torrents haven't seemed to have anything going for them.
>>
>>28362964
you dumb ass slut

torrents are less likely to give you a virus than fucking cnet and download.com

they're faster than russian botnets too
>>
dropped all of my savings ($1000) on learning korean at a language school
it's been 4 months and i remember literally nothing but only go to humor my stupid normie "friend" who convinced me to go with him

im too retarded to learn a language now
>>
>>28362992
>17 megabytes
>hours to download (days)
Asinine to the max. A virus would be more fun.
>implying I cannot get rid of a virus
>implying I have the willpower to learn a new language to begin with.
I honestly just don't care really. I'll never learn anything as old as I am 27.
>>
>>28360162
>Trying to learn German
>Using DuoLingo
>Do 5 lessons a day for a week
>get over it for a month
>Repeat last two

Can only really talk about animals and food and gendering is fucking stupid and pisses me off

Found out a few months ago my oneitis speaks German too, prompted me to do lessons for a few weeks, but then got over it.
>>
>>28363119
>duolingo
Same here, bro. Test time:

Ist eine Katze ein Haustier?

I've probably written that wrong but you translate and then answer. For your oneitis.
>>
>>28363180
Is a cat a pet?
>>
Voulez vouz coucher avec moi anon
>>
I learned english by browsing the chans and watching twitch streams, get on ma level
Comentario original amigos roboticos
>>
I took a Chinese class last semester and really enjoyed it! I'm going to Shanghai in three weeks to take the next two courses!
>>
>>28363290
No-one learns english. English is the natural language. We can all speak it, instinctively. It is the only true human language
>>
>>28363085
I was going to do exactly this but I'm afraid it will be a waste like it is for you. If we can't learn a language by having someone spoonfeed it to us then there is no hope.
>>
>>28363290
People from non-anglo countries are lucky. I know a lot of you learned English by playing Runescape, if only it was not an English game I too would perhaps be polyglot masterrace.
>>
>>28363119

Get past the beginner shit. It's very rewarding afterwards.
>>
>>28362399
Yeah, french pronunciation is a nightmare

>>28362740
Japanese hate foreigners who know japanese, it just makes you a weirdo/weaboo in their eyes. Best plan is to pretend not to know any japanese but then "learn" very fast.

>>28362964
>>28362992
torrents are pretty retarded, it's essentially a popularity contest where normie rap album of the week has hundreds of seeders but semi-obscure punk band has 0-3. Only slightly better for movies.

>>28363085
>korean
Become a manhwa translator. I'm amazed at how awful the professional translations are.
>>
File: 3948672.jpg (63 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
3948672.jpg
63 KB, 736x552
>>28360162
>inb4 japanese
That's the one I'm aiming for.

Also I'll just leave this here...
https://kat.cr/user/yhyrr/uploads/
>>
File: froglady.png (217 KB, 464x661) Image search: [Google]
froglady.png
217 KB, 464x661
>>28363992
>yeah, french pronunciation is a nightmare
true, but still more consistent than english, once you learn your shit
>>
File: 1461726505725.png (831 KB, 1400x1000) Image search: [Google]
1461726505725.png
831 KB, 1400x1000
>>28361269
>>28362350
Salvete, amici!

Fortes este!
>>
File: esperanto_pepe.png (173 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
esperanto_pepe.png
173 KB, 900x600
I am teaching myself Esperanto and it's going fairly well I'd say. But the entire point of Esperanto is that it's very easy to learn.
>>
>>28361579
Im only interested in learning languages for the purpose of reading, ame most of my favorite authors wrote in Latin. I can't help but feel I'm missing too much by reading them in translation.

The only other languages that interest me are German, Russian, and Japanese. Latin seems like the easiest option with the most interesting literature.
>>
korean classes at school. It's going pretty good, I can understand most of the popular songs and read signs in ktown. But I can't take more next semester and won't get to go to korea anytime soon so I'll probably end up forgetting it.
>>
>>28363992
>it's essentially a popularity contest where normie rap album of the week has hundreds of seeders but semi-obscure punk band has 0-3
someone has never used what.cd
>>
I'm Cuban, but I don't know Spanish at all. I tried to learn it when I was around 15 in an attempt to "get more in touch" with my culture due to my mom saying I act like "a white boy". Gave up on it and haven't spoken a word of Spanish in an extremely long time.
>>
I'm saving up money for a textbook.
>>
File: 293486732.png (302 KB, 421x564) Image search: [Google]
293486732.png
302 KB, 421x564
>>28364518
nigga you gotta throw some greek in there too
>>
>>28364798
consult this webpage
>>28364139
https://kat.cr/user/yhyrr/uploads/
>>
>>28364707
>hurr durr private trackers are better

Yeah, I'm fucking sure, too bad it's PRIVATE and I don't have a login.

>>28364179
Yes, english is inconsistent. Everyone knows this. The difference is english speakers won't flat out ignore you if you mispronounce something.
>>
>>28361120
Don't pay him any attention, anon. I was in Beijing until Jan this year and had a total blast. Lower cost of living than the west
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.