[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>begin to write comment or argument >think of the responses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: 1462330891447.png (424 KB, 428x582) Image search: [Google]
1462330891447.png
424 KB, 428x582
>begin to write comment or argument
>think of the responses it will get
>the dumb flame wars where people misconstrue each other with greentext and spout memes in lieu of argument
>the people who may not believe the shit they write trying to make you defensive enough to reply to them for several hours
>delete it and leave the thread
>>
This is why I just shitpost. Getting invested in this place is dumb, just become the cancer and laugh at the retards here.
>>
File: 275924648.jpg (99 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
275924648.jpg
99 KB, 800x800
hmm, are you implying that your comments and arguments aren't garbage?
>>
>>28354323
That's fair. A lot of the shitposting here is so formulaic I don't see how people enjoy it though. You more or less know what will happen when you post a fembot feel thread, it can't feel like much of an achievement.

>>28354367
I wish all frogposters would pick up trips so I could filter them.
>>
>>28354436
It can still be fun to see how long you can post something before people start recognizing it's pasta and stop replying to it
>>
So you decide to just make your own thread about it? Typical tripfag, always with the anime and attention whoring.
>>
>>28354746
Top tier post
Time to kill myself
>>
>>28354746
>So you decide to just make your own thread about it?
Yeah, this is the thread I made. Not sure why you asked actually.

>attention whoring
(You) are all attention whores. If you didn't want attention you probably wouldn't post. Your anonymity does not change the fact that you want replies and care about your fleeting identity before the thread 404s. There's a reason people are afraid of looking like they lost arguments here.
>>
File: 55.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
55.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
As another anon said, getting invested is nonsensical, particularly in this place. There's no potential good to come out of it.

Heck, even if you convince someone they're wrong (and most people aren't interested in truth-seeking when it comes to arguments), over here, everyone's anonymous so it's not like you'll ever recognize any particularly great results.

With no payoffs, it's just not worth it.

That said, Nyanta is cute!
>>
>the dumb flame wars where people misconstrue each other with greentext and spout memes in lieu of argument

every fucking time
>>
>>28355034
>it's just not worth it
Yeah, but browsing 4chan in almost any capacity isn't worth it. 4chan is the game you make it.
>>
File: 3.gif (1 MB, 680x480) Image search: [Google]
3.gif
1 MB, 680x480
>>28355338
Well, 4chan serves as a great way to distract yourself from things due to the high output of opinions almost every second. You could argue it's worth for that at the very least.

But actual involvement not so much. I barely even post anything, let alone discuss things/get into heated arguments. Those are, as you pointed out, utter trash tier over here.

You had a very sensical post and a Nyanta so I figured I might as well comment but even after that positive interaction, it's unlikely for the two of us to ever have a conversation again, so in a way or two, even that's some investment down the drain. I think 4chan's best with a bare minimum of interactions.

So yeah, at the end of the day, you're completely right, it's the game you make it. I just don't think there's much of a way of winning.
>>
>>28355562
I agree that 4chan is a good time waster, but I also think that makes it a bad habit (because you so rarely encounter new or interesting things here, and it's also extremely addicting). There are satisfying hobbies that give you some reward for investing in them, and browsing 4chan isn't one of them.

>it's unlikely for the two of us to ever have a conversation again
This is why I use a trip. Tripping makes it feel slightly less pointless to post here.

>I just don't think there's much of a way of winning.
There is no winning, here or in real life, and that's why you write the rules and decide when you win. You don't really win, obviously, but it can still feel good.
>>
File: 21.jpg (39 KB, 840x470) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
39 KB, 840x470
>>28355676
>but I also think that makes it a bad habit (because you so rarely encounter new or interesting things here, and it's also extremely addicting)
Oh, yeah, definitely that. It's just a lazy way of spending time appealing to your inner insticts with no effort required. I guess that's no different from old folks watching TV all day, zapping through several different channels each and every hour anew.

At some point, I even started considering playing video games and watching non-seasonal anime as productivity. It's easy to get lost and waste hours on 4chan talk related to your interests rather than actually engaging with your interests. It's kind of sad, really.

>This is why I use a trip. Tripping makes it feel slightly less pointless to post here.
I can understand that and conversing with you has actually led me to the same thought but at the end of the day, that makes me wonder of why even bother picking this shithole in the first place? And even if you do encounter someone else with a trip you get along with, you'll probably get to read his stuff with vast distances of time inbetween. At that point, simply browsing a forum would probably be a more effective method of interacting with like-minded people. I've found twitter, a platform where you selectively pick people you're interested in and share things with, to be the most reliable so far. But yeah, that and 4chan obviously have different appeals so I can see why you'd pick this one. Heck, I'm still here too after all.

On another note, tripfags get some really awful treatment. That is discouraging.
>>
File: 1460429941426.jpg (67 KB, 552x720) Image search: [Google]
1460429941426.jpg
67 KB, 552x720
What I try to think about is the people who don't reply but will still have read my post. Even if there are few or no responses at least I still put my honest opinion out there so that it'll make an impact, small as it may be.
>>
>>28356082
But what's an impact you can't observe? I, for instance, like recommending things to people and getting positive confirmation as a result. For instance, someone once asked for a good Vita game on /v/ so I did my best arguing why that one is really good and they should get it to which I got a "I'll look into it, thanks!" reply. That's about as good as it gets for me, that's also where things end. It's not like you really reap something from actual investment on this website.

That's probably an unusually self-important perspective but at the end of the day, I'd like to believe that there is some reward to my efforts, even on a website where anonymous people post.

Although you've probably realized that yourself or else you wouldn't think about an unobservable impact in the first place.

Anyway, didn't expect to find two agreeable Mayoigaposters on what's one of the worst boards of this website of all things. You two are cool in my book.
>>
>>28356028
>It's easy to get lost and waste hours on 4chan talk related to your interests rather than actually engaging with your interests
Very true.

>watching non-seasonal anime as productivity
I think it can be productive if the anime is good, just like it can be productive to read good fiction. It can introduce you to more perspectives, make you more sympathetic with other people, and give you something to talk about. It can also just be very satisfying.

>simply browsing a forum would probably be a more effective method of interacting with like-minded people
Honestly being part of a small, cliquey forum would probably be far more interesting and satisfying than posting on 4chan. Sure, there can be drama, but drama is better than the emotional stagnation of reply seeking among strangers for years on end. People whine about /vg/ because they say it's a circlejerk where people make friends, but I've never thought that was a bad thing. Making friends and developing relationships can make you critically examine yourself and change. Having an identity you're accountable to opens your personality to criticism and gives you experience for understanding what kind of person you are. A lot of people on /r9k/ have never had friends, and so they would especially benefit. I've just never gotten comfortable enough in a forum I liked to start posting in one.

>tripfags get some really awful treatment
Definitely true. It isn't hard to ignore people though.

>>28356082
That's true. You can affect people, just don't delude yourself into thinking you can meaningfully affect /r9k/ or 4chan without spending an unreasonable amount of time reiterating things.
>>
>>28356082
BEST GIRL HANDS DOWN
>>
>>28356409
I think it can be productive if the anime is good, just like it can be productive to read good fiction.
I suppose that's true but at the very least, new perspectives and the entire thing with becoming more sympathetic to other people are things that happen so rarely with fiction, even good fiction, I've never even thought about it. And, technically speaking, entertainment doesn't even need to be good to provoke conversations and not every piece of good entertainment lends itself to those, not to mention you would still have to look for good partners of conversation, which, at least on this website, are hard to find.

But yeah, a narrow-minded perspective of what's productive and what's not probably hurts you in the long run. I should rethink that a bit.

>Honestly being part of a small, cliquey forum would probably be far more interesting and satisfying than posting on 4chan.
Yes, this. But it's hard to find forums that are about your interests & packed with people who are like-minded enough that you are interested in their output. From my forum experience, I'd say I usually ended up staying for a certain amount of time due to certain users, not the entire community itself. Which, however, partly defeats the purpose of a forum to begin with, given that I might rather discuss with these people in private or something of the sorts without getting bogged down by the rest of a potentially terrible community.
So really, the only thing I've found so far that comes close to that ideal is twitter where you have the most influence over whatever you prefer to receive. Unexpected but eh.

>People whine about /vg/
Quite frankly, most of /vg/'s topics become relatively stale after a while. If your game doesn't get constant sequels or updates, there's only so much to talk about. Heck, vitagen f.i. is one huge garbage anime girls dumping ground without anyone talking about the games or platform even though, there is plenty of ground to cover contrary to franchises.
>>
>>28356876
>Quite frankly, most of /vg/'s topics become relatively stale after a while
Yeah. I don't think the problem with /vg/ is that it's a circlejerk, though.

>are things that happen so rarely with fiction, even good fiction
I'll admit this is true. Still, something about good manga or books makes me glad I watched them for a long time afterwards. Good fiction is written to be somewhat unconventional and therefore memorable. A day of reading a book can stay with you for a long time, a day of browsing 4chan probably will not.

>But it's hard to find forums that are about your interests & packed with people who are like-minded enough that you are interested in their output. From my forum experience, I'd say I usually ended up staying for a certain amount of time due to certain users, not the entire community itself.
For a while I've actually wanted an imageboard where everybody has an ID so you can just filter people you don't care for.
>go to reddit
Not a fan of the upvote system.
>>
>>28357124
> I don't think the problem with /vg/ is that it's a circlejerk, though.
Yeah, I disagree with that notion as well. Similar interests do not exclude different views on specific topics after all. Not to mention that "discourse" on this website is a fucking joke mostly, it's rather delusional to claim otherwise and shit on "closed-off" communities as the /vg/ critics do.

>A day of reading a book can stay with you for a long time, a day of browsing 4chan probably will not.
True. The entry bar is higher though (you have to put in a minimum of effort), contrary to mindlessly browsing on 4chan at the very least I'd say. Which brings us back to this place. But we don't disagree on any of that.

>For a while I've actually wanted an imageboard where everybody has an ID so you can just filter people you don't care for.
I'd argue that that is relatively similar to what you can do on a forum but at the end of the day, forum posts are not quite as frequent and more substantial so through blocking people, you would most likely miss out on way more context than on 4chan. Your suggestion does make a lot of sense.
Picking up whoever you like along the way and adding them to Steam/Skype does seem to be a method too but that sometimes turns into relatively uncomfortable silence with no external influence on things to talk about. It really is quite a tricky situation.

>Not a fan of the upvote system.
twitter, not reddit. Never really cared for the latter.
>>
File: 1461808787449.jpg (8 KB, 261x181) Image search: [Google]
1461808787449.jpg
8 KB, 261x181
>>28357466
>twitter, not reddit
I know, but people tell you to go there if you say that you don't prefer anonymity.

>forum posts are not quite as frequent and more substantial so through blocking people, you would most likely miss out on way more context than on 4chan.
Yeah, I would say that's mainly a result of forums being much slower than most of 4chan. Altchans struggle because they go at a crawl, and everybody on imageboards is looking for quick replies. If you could make an imageboard with IDs and it gained traffic I would definitely prefer it to this place.

You seem like a very rational person by the way.
>>
>>28357717
The bad thing about all of this is that we'll probably be back to wasting time very soon, with no further interactions unless we exchange Steam or Skype or twitter handles or anything of the sorts.

Also, thanks for the compliment, the same applies to you!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.