[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will the "literally" meme end? At first I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: 1461523144806.jpg (103 KB, 1080x1349) Image search: [Google]
1461523144806.jpg
103 KB, 1080x1349
When will the "literally" meme end?

At first I thought everyone was memeing, but I'm starting to get worried that you guys actually think it's okay to say "literally" every fifth word. I've been waiting for it all to blow over but it's only become more common.

Does nobody realize how retarded you sound when you use literally to mean its exact opposite?

>it's now accepted usage/it's in the dictionary!!
That doesn't change the fact that it's being used to mean its exact opposite, and if you don't understand why that's retarded, you should probably wear a helmet.

>you're halting the progression of language (kek) !!!1!!!1
You have to draw the line somewhere. If you can take "literally" to mean "figuratively", what's the point in having two different words? Why not just abolish figuratively and say literally all the time?
>>
File: 180424939_10.jpg (2 MB, 2692x4046) Image search: [Google]
180424939_10.jpg
2 MB, 2692x4046
"Journalists" use it now, since they literally think Twitter counts for more than the dictionary. Lost battle.
>>
>>28339539
You don't have to draw the line somewhere. Who would draw that line? Languages are constantly changing. If you were to encounter someone speaking the early version of early modern English, it would be completely unintelligible to you. Also, enantiosemy is where a word gains the opposite meaning and it is pretty common.
>>
File: Bri.jpg (70 KB, 1280x737) Image search: [Google]
Bri.jpg
70 KB, 1280x737
I have sympathy for your cause (even though it's useless), but

>Why not just abolish figuratively and say literally all the time?
is pretty much exactly what's happening.
Nobody is used "figuratively" and not using it is exactly the only way in which you can "abolish" a word
>>
>>28339539
You're entirely correct, and pursuit of literalness-endowing terms which to poison with figurativeness is a real, egoistic phenomenon (basically, every time someone uses 'literally' for figuration, they acquire some extra punch for their phrase, but at the same time take away from the cultural literalness of the term for everyone else), but you're in such a minority that you're being irrelevant. Just find a circle that cares about proper language, keep to it, and don't look at what's going on at large.
>>
>>28339908
>take away from the cultural literalness of the term
*take from
>>
>>28339757

wear a helmet, Jose
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.