[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make it at college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: 1456545102656.jpg (53 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
1456545102656.jpg
53 KB, 498x568
I'm going to college in a few months and I'm fucking terrified of being a robot there too. I can't take it anymore. I have no friends and the loneliness is driving me insane. How can I be a normal fag in college? Any tips on fitting in?
>>
Im as clueless as you, but id probably come up with a persona and try to stick to it, whilst adapting to the new social circles. Something like a new beginnning. A rebirth. Yeah.. that'd be nice.
>>
>>28337726
Find a club relating to your hobby
meet people
Ask your roomate to invite you to parties.
Fitting in in college is really easy. You have a fresh reputation.
>>
>>28337785
My plan right now is to fake confidence and to be nice. I have no back up if that fails. Fuck, I'm scared, I was invisible in high school
>>
>>28337726
Talk to the people that are sitting next to you in lectures and seminars. Going to workshops helps too. If this fails, you will have study councilors or w/e they are called to help you with any issues you may encounter including lack of friends. It really is what you make of it yourself. It is in your hands. Look at it as a great opportunity to become a better, more social person. If you do not try it now, you will probably be that creepy loner the rest of your life. Not an attractive alternative, is it? Indeed, that is why you are going to make friends from day 1 in college.
>>
>>28337876
Sounds pretty good.
Dont hesitate to go in clubroom and make friends.
Thats how I made 90% of my circle of friends.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 353x234) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 353x234
Go to parties everything major seems to happen at parties. Don't make the same mistake I did. Studying is a meme.

Get your robot ass to a party. Drink a booze and fuck a grill. I'm telling you man just do it

DO IT DONT LET UR DREAMS B DREAMS
>>
>>28337895
Alright, thanks anon. I'll try my best. That's a big reason I'm scared, if I fuck up day one then I'm fucked for the next year. Is starting conversations with people easier than it looks? I don't want to come of as creepy.
>>
>>28338029
Thanks anon, I'll try to get into a party. Should I just keep my ear open, talk to people, and ask my the people on my dorm floor if they know of one? Is there anyway I can dress more like a normal fag? I have longer hair. Should I cut it and buy new clothes? I look young for my age and everyone else looks like an adult
>>
try to find reasons to talk to people, and when you do, ask them questions about themselves. normal people like to talk about themselves, so you'll benefit by pretending to give a shit.
>>
>>28338144
not the guy you're talking to but, if you're living on campus finding parties should be no big deal. Just make sure to drink when offered, being drunk will help you be normal and will make you less autistic.

Be a yes man, when people are talking and drinking, just hold the opinion of the majority. Parties are frequent in dorms, most of the time you can just kind of show up.

Best of luck friend
>>
>>28337726
How many people go to your college? Joining clubs and partying are generally good ideas.
>>
>>28338285
My college is fucking huge. Tens of thousands of people. That might help, I don't know
>>
>>28338281
My dad was bit of a drinker, promised mom that I wouldn't drink. Could I just walk around with a cup full of like coke or something? Thank you for all the help anon, this place has always had my back. I'll follow your advice mate.
>>
>>28338040
If you botch up a conversation, just try a new one with other people. And yeah, it is far easier than it looks to start and maintain conversations. Your anxiety is most likely the biggest problem. I was in your situation too, and nobody has a clue of my autism now. Just do not get discouraged at setbacks. Allow time to build up your social skills. Do not expect to become a great talker in a few days or weeks. Also remember, that there is a difference between a creepy loner and an introvert.
>>
>>28338409
Sorry to hear that man. My mom was an alcoholic and my dad a drug addict so I feel you. That might work, I would suggest having a cup with you to fit in, and not really telling people you don't drink (it can sometimes weird people out, if you have to say no just say "not tonight")

Also, talk to drunk people. They will naturally like you and be friendly, and they might not notice your shyness or whatever social anxiety oddities you may have.
>>
See if the teacher accepts early work and if attendance counts much. Just do a shit ton of homework in advance and only show up for tests.

Use the rest of your time to fuck around at bars if you're 21. If not find a random club

>>28337827
Don't do this though, the club part, most of the people there tend to be major plebs and you won't be able to hold back your autism
>>
I'm at a big university and I am even more reclusive then before.
>>
>>28337726
The first week is your only chance to fit in. Try to be friendly and act like a normie as much as possible. After that, groups are formed and everybody knows each other and you're "that guy" for 4 years.
>>
>>28338522
Thank you anon. Really, thanks for all the help. I was scared as fuck like an hour ago but now I have a game plan. Good idea about the drunk people. Never thought about that. I'll just walk around with a cup, probably just gonna fill it up with water in the kitchen or discretely in the bathroom sink.
>>
>>28338577
Yeah, that's what got me so scared in the first place. I look young for my age, should I just grow stubble?
>>28338544
Sorry to hear that man. I hope things get better for you
>>
>>28337726
Smoke weed!!!! And you should be fine lol!!!!
>>
>>28338616
Fill it with beer or you're going to embarrass yourself. One beer will not even get you buzzed if you ate beforehand and you really don't even have to drink it. Just pretend to sip on it.
>>
Everyone's friend circles form within the first fucking week and stay that way. Act like an autist then and you will regret it. I know I do.
>>
>>28338616
>>28338730
that's a good idea. Carry a beer, and pretend to sip. People won't be paying attention to your alcohol consumption. Best of luck my dude, I'm sure you'll be fine
>>
>>28338670
>should I just grow stubble?
Sure why not. Try to look as normie as possible and not an autistic manchild.
>>
>>28338730
Okay anon, will do. I won't let you guys down.
>>
>>28338752
Okay anon, that's where I fucked up in high school. I'll try my best to make friends.
>>
>>28338144
Sorry for long response anon my internet is shit tier. As fir parties just talk to people. Get to know them word of parties will eventually get around. Also not sure what your dorm is like but the higher floors have more partying. So if you can try to get up to floor 3 or 4 or as high as u can go.
>>
>>28337876
I don't see anything wrong with this plan. Godspeed anon!
>>
>>28338995
Don't worry about that anon, I'm grateful that you are helping me out. I'm literally taking notes on all of this. There are many people at my college and lots of dorms. I'll try to get placed in the higher floors. I think there's a co-ed floor. I'm shit around girls so I don't know if I should aim for that but I guess I got to improve my game some how. Thank you anon
>>
>>28337876
one thing that I found helped me is not thinking about what I'm going to say, then saying it, then keep on going on a sort of stream of consciousness thing. try to keep the memes to a minimum, make sure you filter any "problamatic" language/comments, and keep a thick skin.
>>
>>28339023
Thanks anon, I figured I'd keep it simple. I don't wanna come of as boisterous but I don't wanna be quiet again either. Nice middle ground.
>>
>>28339065
You should be fine anon try doing that co-Ed floor. My dorm didn't even have those. Go for it man. I'm glad I could help out. Now I just have to get better internet.
>>
>>28337726
It's cliche advice but leave your fucking dorm room door open! I heard this going in but I didn't listen.
>>
>>28339487
Yeah, will do anon. I wanna be more friendly. Thank you for the help!
>>
Should I get a roommate? There's an option for just having a small room to yourself
>>
>>28338029
Buy alcohol
Buy alcohol
Buy alcohol
Also buy alcohol

You'll make friends when you ask if anyone wants to drink this weekend. Then when someone says they are going to a party ask if you can come along.
>>
>>28340308
I would advise getting a roommate because its really part of the college experience. If you dont go that route then you probably wont miss much if you leave your room and talk to people in your lounge. Its not as big of a deal as it might seem. Fresh man dorms are usually packed
>>
>>28340308
I would because you can friend their friends.

You also might want some new clothing, mine didn't fit in when I started college and I didn't buy any until the end of my freshman year. After that people were a little more inviting (albeit I made a few fairweather friends in my 1st year but not nearly as many as my 2nd).
>>
If you want to literally buy friends then join a fraternity. They definitely are a great experience for some people
>>
By the looks of this thread you're going to do great, anon.
>>
>>28340819
>>28340740
>>28340707
>>28340675
>>28340628
I just wanted to thank you guys. Really, thank you so much for everything. I was scared and now I feel better. This place has always helped me through hard times. You guys are great, thank you!
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.