[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever listen to the music? I don't mean putting on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: tomokoheadphones.jpg (431 KB, 622x1196) Image search: [Google]
tomokoheadphones.jpg
431 KB, 622x1196
Do you ever listen to the music?

I don't mean putting on songs you enjoy. Or turning on the radio and letting it be background noise. I mean listen to the music, what it has to day.

It's all there. That guide, those instructions on life. It's all in the music. Just listen, and it'll show you the path.

If you get confused, just listen to the music play.
>>
>>28334995
Check out the song Time Apart by the band Punch. Pretty much is what you're talking about
>>
>>28334995
I can't get into music.
I don't really understand it and it's hard for me to enjoy it.
I only "listen" to music when I play osu!
FUCKING KILL ME ALREADY
>>
>>28335474
Just stop a minute.
And put your ear to the beat.
>>
>>28335507
I tried doing it today.
I tried to listen to music from the other thread on r9k but I couldn't really get into it. Only 2 songs from the thread besides stuff that I posted were okay, and I couldn't understand the rest of it.
>>
>>28334995
The only time I really "listen" to music is when I'm listening to lyrical hip hop. I feel like most other music doesn't really require enough concentration to dedicate just listening to it.
>>
>>28334995
I'm a composer and producer so of course I have. Maybe not in the new age 2deep4u way you're talking about though. I find music to be one of the few meaningful things in this life, but I couldn't say it has "shown me the path".

>>28335553
Maybe it's a problem of genre. What genres do you like?
Or maybe it's because you never see live shows. Maybe you'd understand it more if you saw the musicians playing live. There's a kind of magic that's created when talented musicians play in unison. It's not just people playing instruments - it's people trying to transcend their human condition.
>>
>>28335719
>What genres do you like?
I don't know. Music just isn't my thing.
I only listen to memes from time to time.
>Or maybe it's because you never see live shows.
I don't get the point of it. It seems like it just sounds inferior to the recording.
>>
>>28335749
>Music just isn't my thing.
I have to say, I find it hard to understand. Don't you ever feel moved by music, even in movies, games, etc? You mentioned osu! and said that you posted some music so there's got to be something.

>I don't get the point of it.
Yeah, I figured as much. Just try it if you have the chance. Doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive concert, some of the best shows I've seen were free.
If I had to explain it... I'd say that when you see a live show, you see the music being created right before your eyes. Even if the song was composed beforehand, the fact that the motions of the musicians create this intricate web of sound is what makes it special, as well as the ephemerality of the experience - knowing that it's happing right here, right now.
Do you watch live shows on youtube sometimes? What do you think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Usi28hk7U
>>
>>28335938
>Don't you ever feel moved by music
Music affected me at least once in my life, but I just really don't like it that much.
>>
Oh yeah was just listening to comfortably numb in my bed whileit was raining and I got that feeling in my chest, you know the one
>>
>>28334995
>be an open minded conservative teenager years ago
>decide free speech is good
>start listening to punk music because muh supporting free speech
>now a jobless anarchist
Fuck listening to music.
>>
>>28336029
>>28336029
>you know the one
That you have the music taste of a 14 year old girl?
No, I don't know that one
>>
>>28335553
Oh pls anon, the people that post in those music threads have absolute shit tier taste
>>
>>28336145
Why do you have to be like that anon,
>>
File: 1353650807988.jpg (315 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1353650807988.jpg
315 KB, 1280x800
>>28334995

No, rarely. People who are into books will say the same thing, "do you really read?". Thing is, it takes effort, lots of effort, to listen intensively, take in every meaning in the lyrics, especially if it's in a language you're not quite familiar with, carefully taking note of every instrument and its changes. Or reading and really take in every word, understand every sentence on all levels and mayhap relate this to the people behind the work etc etc.

Simply no, I have more interesting things to do and if anything I find silence more fascinating.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 960x734) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 960x734
>>28334995
>It's all there. That guide, those instructions on life. It's all in the music. Just listen, and it'll show you the path.

Wow, you are quite literally the biggest faggot that I've ever had the displeasure of coming across on this toxic board.
If you're not a fucking Neanderthal, then chances are that you'll actually listen to the composition of a song, as opposed to simply allowing a collection of notes to go in one ear and out the other.

There's no magic or secret meaning lying behind the notation. One can absolutely project their own thoughts onto a piece of art and try to gather some profound lesson or answer, but those experiences are entirely subjective and can surely be found by other means.

Go take a creative writing class or something, you asshole.
>>
>>28336212
>books
I don't like books if they aren't about technical stuff.
I'd rather read a manual than anything with a plot.
This probably makes me a boring person.
>>
>>28336192
Why do I have to be honest?
Because you deserve to know the truth, everyone does.
>>
>>28336220
>there's nothing more to a painting than paint on a canvas
>>
>>28336280
there isn't, fundamentally.
all art is qualia.
>>
>>28336277
What do you listen to anon im not going to shit on you for it or anything like that
>>
>>28335474
Same here I always just want to turn it off, even if I "like" it

I put like in apostrophes because even when I can recognize the song as good it still doesn't make me want to listen to it, it's weird.
>>
>>28336276

I'm pretty fine with reading either desu.
>>
>>28336344
>apostrophes

I'm a dumbass, I mean quotation marks obviously...
>>
>>28336337

Exclusively Yo la Tengo and Heino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJxxikKk8Q
>>
>>28336337
techno interests me a lot I'm unhealthily obsessed with techno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4QdShPw_A

>>28336396
not me
Heino is dope tho.
>>
>>28336304
whatever you say but I think it's a restrictive way of looking at it
that approach only considers an artwork as an object and eliminates the presence or intention of the artist as well as the dialogue between artist and audience, influence of society etc
it's not much more than a cogito applied to art
go read Deleuze or something
>>
File: 1419290704237.jpg (302 KB, 842x1191) Image search: [Google]
1419290704237.jpg
302 KB, 842x1191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDv3F_59ZE

All I really do anymore is listen.
>>
>>28336467
>it's a restrictive way of looking at it
Far from it.
Viewing art as the raw sensation experienced is as far from restrictive as you're gonna get.

>that approach only considers an artwork as an object
The artwork is an object and nothing more.
Art itself is what you experience upon perceiving the object that carries the art.

>eliminates the presence or intention of the artist as well as the dialogue between artist and audience, influence of society etc
viewing art as sensation doesn't do that at all, if anything, such a view enhances the importance of the artist and all the other things you listed.

What it does devalue is the artist as a craftsman.
>>
>>28336434
Thats nice anon I dont listen to alot of techno, unless breakcore counts, so whats so bad about pink floyd
>>
>>28336656
nobody said anything about bad
>>
There is nothing to be found, it's all just fake "wisdom"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucekasanoff/2015/06/24/beware-every-wise-quote-has-an-opposite-quote/#27714ff2141c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1siWHmKV5c
>>
File: untitled.png (29 KB, 174x226) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
29 KB, 174x226
Music fills the hole in my soul tbqh
good thing that there's more of it than i could ever get my head around in a lifetime
>>
File: 1462003735028.jpg (33 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
1462003735028.jpg
33 KB, 539x960
>>28336734
Oh so you were just insulting me, ok
>>
>>28336648
>if anything, such a view enhances the importance of the artist and all the other things you listed.
I don't see how.
>>
File: WM01203.jpg (70 KB, 728x1043) Image search: [Google]
WM01203.jpg
70 KB, 728x1043
DEJA VU
I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE
HIGHER ON THE STREET
AND I KNOW IT'S MY TIME TO GO
>>
>>28336901
thanks anon, i've been looking for that song
>>
>be me, ~2 years ago
>just signed lease on apartment
>start moving in a little at a time
>first load of stuff was in the evening
>bed, computer, desk, toiletries
>decide I'll get more stuff the next day and stay the night
>sit down at computer, put Gorillaz on
>recommended song is Ultimate Chillstep Collection
>play it
>[COMFORT INTENSIFIES]
>lay down in bed and listen to the whole 2 hour compilation
>go to sleep
>wake up
>replay it, max volume so I can hear it while I shower
>sit back down at computer
>spend the entire day browsing 4chan, playing vidya, and eating pizza to various chillstep collections
>soundtrack to my life at that time
>the comfiest I've ever been
I don't know why, but something about the situation was so great. Maybe it was the simplicity of having so few items but being so content with them. Maybe the serenity of those cool chill beats while I didn't have anything I needed to do. I could just chill all day.

Imagine coming inside from a rainy cold day. Lay down in your bed with your phone, under an electric blanket. The rain is pouring outside, but you're safe and warm inside, maybe with some hot chocolate. It was that feeling of ultimate comfy.
>>
Reading this thread, it is no wonder you're a bunch of depressing crying faggots.
>>
>>28337105
better depressed than a philistine to be honest
>>
yes, and I'm almost always listening to music. It's been like this for close a decade. I quickly become understimulated and bored if I'm not listening to something. don't do this to yourselves bros.
>>
i regularly go for bike rides with headphones on. may not be the safest thing in the world but damn, with the wind in my hair, the cold chill of dusk creeping up my back and some great tunes rockin ' in my ears, i'm in heaven
>>
>>28334995
OP probably listens to some indie whining. Or some shitty moodsetting droning. Or some incoherent electronic pounding.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.