[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Daddy, what were the 2000s like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
>>
frosted tips
angst
technology that looked cooler than it performed
>>
>>28328757
I sat in the basement playing Halo the whole time, it was great.
>>
>>28328757
Patriotism and edge.
>>
>>28328796
>technology that looked cooler than it performed
But that's true of the 2010s, in fact even more so.
>>
>digital television
>chat and mobile game shows on tv
>reality tv (already started in late '90s or so)
>cargo pants
>emos and goths
>phones suddenly have colored screens, cameras, music players, etc.
>smartphones with fast internet connections, wifi, apps, social media after that
>scene kids
>"Japan" subculture: people watch anime, read manga and dress accordingly, are interested in Japanese culture etc.
>social media becomes big in late 2000s, some people use instant messaging (such as AOL IM and MSN Messenger) before that
>'00s hair: wings cut, surfer cut, frat shag, also frosted tips in early '00s (became big in late '90s)
>video games and internet become mainstream around 2007
>mobile broadbands that are slow and unstable
>some EU countries adopt the Euro currency
>DVD surpasses VHS, Bluray partially surpasses DVD
>people pretty much stop using floppy disks (yet still in the 2010s the "save" icon in many programs is based on one)
>USB sticks aka pen drives become a thing
>the smile and optimism from the '90s is gone
>>
>>28328757
>Implying i will ever find a qt to make babies with
>>
Pretty good up until like 2008 when normies got a hold of everything I loved dear.
>>
>>28331616
>mentioning weeb shit
just because you're into that shit doesn't make it worth mentioning
I've never met a real weeb. a few who just watched anime but never any whites obsessed with their culture
>>
>>28328757
Edgy
Terrorism, wars, economy problems(dot com bubble, 2007-08 financial crisis), death of nerdy things, emos, I think the Japan economy also tanked and anime got worse(I don't really watch anime, but it was something like that)
>>
>>28328757
Some of the last years before feminism and SJW's take complete control of the world
>>
Tfw grand kids will be able to turn back google earth and roam the streets as how they were when I was growing up
>>
>>28331943
We watch Southpark, Simpsons, Family guy and others too. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>28331943
I never was into weeb shit but I know people who were. This subculture was also mentioned many times in mainstream media of my country and some others so I thought it would be worth mentioning.
>>
>>28328757
From the perspective of someone born in 1992
>It was basically still the 90s until 2003, 90s cartoons/technology/video games carried over until around 03.
>Obviously 9/11 marks the true end of the 90s, but to a 9 year old that shit has no effect on my life or how I perceive the world.
>70s style hair made a huge comeback for guys, every single boy in middle school and high school had long shaggy hair.
>The "goth" style from the 80s came back strong as the "emo" subculture peaked. A good chunk of teenagers in each school had dyed black hair and massive amounts of makeup, even the guys.
>Preppy look makes a comeback as the 90s grunge look dies, popped collars, tight shirts, ripped jeans, bright colors.
>Society changed massively around 2007 due to smartphones. Internet as we knew it was dead. Everyone was on the internet now, and webpages that had 90s/early 00s designs were updated to more modern designs.
> Nerdy things like video games and comic book superheroes became mainstream.
>Patriotism was at an all-time high after 9/11. Go watch the TV show "24" to understand this part of our culture at the time.
>I'm gonna stop typing now because the last reply was 40 minutes ago
>>
>>28333181
1/1/2000 marks the true end of the 90s you tard.
>>
>YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>28333236
No shit, I'm talking about culturally.

80s culture didn't end on 1/1/90.
>>
>>28331943
Speaking as a person is who is seriously interested in Japanese culture and history (as well as having watched 400~ anime and having studied Japanese for 5 years now) I find this whole "weeb" craze absolutely retarded. I seriously hope in the future liking things that are Japanese doesn't automatically make you a "weeb"
>>
>I'm sorry, I am not permitted to speak to you *non-threatening-gender-neutral-term-of-endearment*, for fear I may give into my natural male urges and in some way molest you.
>>
>>28333508
>Watched 400 anime
The ultimate weeb talks shit about weebs
>>
>>28333827
Except I actually can speak it and know a lot about Japan outside of what anime portrays.
>>
File: 142346458.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
142346458.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>28328757
>tfwn daughter to show classic Spongebob to for the first time and get a sense of satisfaction every time it makes her laugh
>>
>>28333843
So you're the ultimate weeb. You reached max level. Learning how to speak Japanese (to be able to watch anime raws) is the average weeb's dream.
>>
>>28333236
Your 'tism is showing
>>
>>28333884
I want to learn Japanese because I like Japan. Not because I want to watch anime raws. Stop projecting.
>>
File: 1357159285057.jpg (155 KB, 858x1088) Image search: [Google]
1357159285057.jpg
155 KB, 858x1088
>>28328757

compIete shit.

I'm sorry I brought you into this world
>>
File: 200_s.gif (36 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
36 KB, 356x200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5tWMdoQdg
>>
>>28333904
The reasoning doesn't matter. You learned how to speak Japanese, love Japanese history/culture, and have watched over 400 anime. You are the master weeaboo.

I'm not projecting, I'm way too much of a casual to care about watching anime raws.
>>
>>28333960
No, a weeaboo is someone who is very passionate about Japan but doesn't know anything about Japan/is very ignorant of the truths of the country/thinks its the best thing in the world/has a very limited knowledge of it (usually relegated to stuff learned through anime). I am none of these things.
>>
>>28334002
Only to someone who knows the difference between the two, which is almost nobody. Those who know the difference are likely weebs themselves.

To most everyone, you are seen as a weeaboo white boy obsessed with Japan and will be judged as such.
>>
>>28334084
>implying I'm white
I'm also part Japanese so I literally can't be a weeb.
>>
File: schopenhauer.jpg (51 KB, 502x600) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer.jpg
51 KB, 502x600
>There are actually people on this site who bring children into the world, knowing full well what the world is actually like
>>
File: 1461675951850.png (63 KB, 200x228) Image search: [Google]
1461675951850.png
63 KB, 200x228
>>28328757
They were like the 90's but even shittier.
>>
>>28328757
Don't fucking talk to me, stupid bitch.
>>
>>28328757
A very confused time when people had not yet broken out of their own self-made illusions. Technology was new and because of that it was greatly misused. Some of the atrocities of the time were the Television, or as we used to call it, TV. It was a terrible thing to be doing to your own mind, to your children's mind too. The worst part was the advertisements. Did you know that around that time period, when you paid to watch a movie in a theater, you had to actually watch advertisements? Some of the movies even got paid to advertise products by placing them all over the movie. We created a pack of humans bogged down in mannerisms which came from shitty TV scripts and gangster movies, who couldn't stay focused for more than an hour. The great antithesis to the Renaissance. A time when human skill peaked and was at it's height gave way to the misuse of exponentially growing technology. And as technology grew human skill did not only stagnate, but it faltered and all that was left was a small minority of people who got things done while the rest escaped from the here and now into their smart phones.
>>
>>28331616
>internet became mainstream around late 2000s

I see so many youngsters regurgitate this meme and it's just horse shit. You're about 10 years off.

Yes the phone reached the vey last dark corners of turbo plebs but most people were using the internet for all kinda reasons by 1999.
>>
Orcs and goatsluts, sweetheart.
>>
There was no GE for most of it. We had to earn our money the hard way: merching, and constantly refreshing until World 1 wasn't full.
>>
>>28331616
>internet didn't become popular until 2007 cause that's when my grandma started using it

faggots who say this shit are young or naive as fuck

By 2000 half of us homes had internet access
HALF
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.