[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
File: Dharma_Wheel.svg.png (22 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
Dharma_Wheel.svg.png
22 KB, 180x180
So I heard Buddhism teaches it's followers to become empty and ignore all desires to create a neutral state. Can any Buddhists confirm if this helps them get over being antisocial?
>>
>>28309408
It will help you reach Nirvana, but not help you with being antisocial
>>
Is the one autist that COMPLETELY hates Buddism and spams paragraphs against it still here?
>>
>>28309408
My heart burns like fire, but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes

Discipline yourself and everything else will fall into place
>>
File: books.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Does anyone have book recommendations?
>>
File: Raja_Ravi_Varma_-_Sankaracharya.jpg (480 KB, 705x958) Image search: [Google]
Raja_Ravi_Varma_-_Sankaracharya.jpg
480 KB, 705x958
Buddhism is meme tier, anatma is retarded

pic related is where it's at
>>
it's the only choice I have desu. If I don't become empty I'm driven mad by either anxiety or depression
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 600x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 600x433
Taoism is top tier robot religion
>>
>>28309786
>>28309408
>worshipping poo in loo gods
>>
>>28309408
The outline is that to exist is to want and to want is to be denied. To be denied is to suffer. So it follows that to exist is to suffer.

Unless you willfully give up desire. It's all very reasonable and agreeable. Core teachings are about cultivating mindfulness and compassion. Potentially helpful to anyone.

I'd be a Buddhist if I felt the need. I don't though. I can appreciate and speculate on something without needing to claim to subscribe to it exclusively.

I was christened a Baptist anyway.
>>
>>28309872
Buddhism is a nontheistic religion
>>
Can confirm.
Helped me be less autistic, depressed, self hating, and bitter.
>>
>give up everything
>life is suffering
Robots only believe in one of the two, which is why they haven't yet reached Nirvana.
>>
>>28309872
>worshipping a dead kike on a stick

oregamo
>>
File: 20131023010928846_original.jpg (125 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
20131023010928846_original.jpg
125 KB, 1000x563
>>28309538
"1) The power to make a law for oneself
2) The power to refuse and not to act, when one is pressed to affirmation by a prodigious force and an enormous tension
3) The natural and free asceticism moved to test its own strength by guaging "the power of a will according to the degree of resistance, pain, and torment that it can bear in order to turn them to its own advantage"
4) The principle of not obeying the passions but of holding them on a leash: one must have them to the greatest degree, but held in check, and moreover, doing this with simplicity, not feeling any particular satisfaction thereby
5) The idea that the superior man is distinguished from the inferior by his intrepidity, by his defiance of unhappiness
6) The responding with incredulity to those who point the way to happiness in order to make man follow a certain behavior: 'But what does happiness mean to us?'"

http://electromagneticfrontier.blogspot.com/2008/11/transcendent-dimension-julius.html
>>
File: 3382664.png (345 KB, 307x415) Image search: [Google]
3382664.png
345 KB, 307x415
Lest anyone think the East has a monopoly on these teachings, read this excerpt from the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius:

"Do the things external which fall upon thee distract thee? Give thyself time to learn something new and good, and cease to be whirled around. But then thou must also avoid being carried about the other way. For those too are triflers who have wearied themselves in life by their activity, and yet have no object to which to direct every movement, and, in a word, all their thoughts. Through not observing what is in the mind of another a man has seldom been seen to be unhappy; but those who do not observe the movements of their own minds must of necessity be unhappy."
>>
>>28309408
Buddhism is basically the only religion in which you can't poke holes in.

If you want to practice it, you have to remember to keep doing it day to day, because its really easy to forget what you learned and go back to your past life.

Also, this is probably the most important part, meditate. If you meditate enough you can pretty much figure the whole thing out yourself and not have to read any books.
Not saying the books are wrong or bad, its just that Buddhism is a philosophy.
You have to figure it out for yourself, they can direct you towards the right path, but they will never give you, like, the ultimate answer to everything.
>>
"Mindfulness" , which is a bit in vogue at the moment, is quite useful in dealing with various anxiety/depression problems (based heavily on rudimentary Buddhist meditation techniques).

Also, Stephen bachelor wrote a decent book introducing relevant Buddhist concepts to westerners called "Buddhism without beliefs" (however it should be noted that some of his ideas of "agnostic Buddhism" are pretty controversial...... for example he argues that karma and rebirth are examples of religiosity in Buddhism that weren't important in early Buddhism and have become fixations of western Buddhists as they want an account as to how Buddhism provides for an after life and how Buddhism accounts for social order (central tenants of Christianity))
>>
>>28310022
I like Marcus but basically every third paragraph was "hey, remember all these famous people? Yeah they're all dead now."
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.