[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Regrets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
Turned 18 recently and have been a relatively avid lurker here for a while. Anyways, i'm starting to go down a path many of you went down, and I was curious of any regrets you guys might have of when you were younger. I'd want to know these to i'd be able to try change the path i'm going down. Thanks.
>>
>>28308172

dont spend everyday on here, 1 week on, 1 week off will help you stay relatively pure of soul

dont get into drugs. if you're already into them, dont do them every day or even every week. drugs will destroy you eventually.

dont say no to social events you're invited to. even if you're worried, you will always feel better about having gone instead of staying home alone, and you'll definitely meet some interesting people and maybe even a friend.

dont waste all your time playing video games or surfing the internet, you are literally in the prime of your life right now, don't spend it inside by yourself.

also, and most importantly:

dont ever take advice from someone on 4chan
>>
>>28308279
I'll try browse it less because i've noticed some of the horrible opinions here are starting to rub off.

I don't do drugs, probably going to start drinking soon because i'm of legal age though.

I don't particularly get invited to any social events. The most social events I have is when my group of like 5 friends go over to one of our house and just fuck around playing games for like 5 hours.

I really would spend my time doing other things but I can't by virtue that I have nobody to spend that time with. My friends can't stand going out in a traditional sense, and I can't stand the people that do it on a weekly basis.

Your advice seems pretty solid, although i'll be wary when taking advice. Thanks tho
>>
>>28308172
Don't start thinking about being with guys as a replacement for women unless you want to get fucked in the ass
>>
File: Casey Stoner Jepang 2009(11).jpg (29 KB, 233x320) Image search: [Google]
Casey Stoner Jepang 2009(11).jpg
29 KB, 233x320
If you even have to ask r9k, you are already heading down the same very path we all went down.
>>
>turned 18 recently

Then I don't want to even talk to you. Go away. This board has enough threads made by diapered brats as it is.
>>
>>28308481
Good point, still though i'd like you guys' opinions because you're probably the most unique kind of people imho.
>>
>>28308496
>I don't even want to talk to you
>Proceeds to post on my thread, thereby talking to me.
You aren't a very smart person are you?
>>
>>28308481
this
the only people who can call themselves robots are born as such
>>
>>28308526
Strap yourself in for a adventurous ride on a train with no brakes, that's my advice.
>>
>>28308172
Leave. Leave while you can. This place will make you nothing but hopeless.
>>
The best advice i can give you is to kill yourself, obviously. But if you dont want to do that then i guess just, dont spend too much time on the internet, dont smoke weed or cigarettes, dont be afraid of people, dont be afraid of places, dont let yourself go, remember to get exercise and eat right. One of my biggest regrets in life is that i was afraid to talk to people, i was afriad to even talk to my own family. Now im just a silent robot with seemingly no personality and i cant socialize with my family properly, and i cant socialize with people properly, and its all because i was too introverted for years and afraid to say whats on my mind. The anxiety of speaking just kind of snowballed and now even if i did open my mouth i wouldnt know what to say, ive just been quiet for so long. So dont be afraid to start conversations with people, dont be afraid to ask questions. Another regret i have is that i became too selective with the people i hung out with. I wish i had stayed in contact with more people, maybe life would have been more interesting. Basically I spend every day alone in my basement bored and depressed. And ts all because i was too afraid in the past. And because i never got over my fears back then, theyve only gotten worse since. So if you have fears, try your best to conquer them now before they consume you.
>>
>>28308172
Dont browse amy of the NSFW boards they will fuck up your mind. browse /int/, /ck/ and /fit/ if you need to get the shitposting out of your system
>>
>>28308172
Be decisive. When you commit to something, give it your all and get it over with. Don't half-commit and waste time and money blowing something.

IF you can somehow will yourself to have a productive hobby like art, writing, programming, etc. instead of a vegetative one like TV or video games, you will be a god among men in ten years. The irony is that you'll be making the drugs you avoided and selling them to other people, but eh, whatever I guess.
>>
I mostly regret letting go of things that were important to me

>>28308279
This
>>
>>28308749
>>28308799
>>28308843

kill yourselves please pleddit.
>>
>>28308172
Killua is cute.
>>
>>28308872
The guy wanted advice. What did you expect? People telling him to pee in a bottle and wallow in filth?
>>
Don't jump into a long term relationship because of love hormones, don't start living together just keep it somewhat casual

Stay in school and apply yourself while you're there

And you can party and do drugs cause in like 6-7 years it won't be as acceptable so get if out of your system now just don't be a fucking moron and get a major addiction

See more things like concerts and festivals, again it becomes harder to do when you're older because your friends will either be broke as fuck, have kids, etc
>>
>>28308843
>IF you can somehow will yourself to have a productive hobby like art, writing, programming, etc. instead of a vegetative one like TV or video games
This is very important imo
Even if you suck and it's tedious, it's good to practice something like this just so you can develop as a person. Eventually it gets better, I think.

It's better to start young and let the skillset creep up on you so you're at least moderately talented by the time you're in your 20s than to realize you fucked up when you're in your 20s and desperately try to make up for lost time, which isn't really how it works.
>>
>>28308895
I actually did desu
>>
>>28308172
Rejecting an ok girl because of rejections from prettier ones. Closing myself to the world. Not trying enough. Using a few bad experiences as a justification to give up. Not admitting that I had social anxiety and rationalising it with bullshit edgy stuff. Being a beta cuck.
>>
>>28308172

>talk with women
>talk with women frequently enough you get that desperate look out of your eyes
>talk with enough women it's no longer scary, panic-attack-inducing, or even mildly uncomfortable
>talk with people in general
>try not to talk *at* them
>learn to stfu and listen
>if you want to be interesting, listen to other people and don't talk about yourself
>learn to be positive sometimes. you don't have to let your brains fall out, just don't don't be a totally negative shit all the time
>learn to keep your intolerance to yourself, whether you're a /pol/zi or an SJW...no one worth knowing wants to hear a fucking sneering lecture about degenerate race mixers or problematic privileged cishet white males
>keep secrets
>don't knowingly let people use you because you're lonely. yeah, there's going to be times you realize you just got conned out of a meal or bamboozled into helping some chick move, but there's a difference between that and knowingly surrounding yourself with people who are using you just so you can have human contact.
>if things turn to shit, let your anger subside before you try again, whether it's a new relationship or a new job.
>own your shit
>take responsibility
>never argue unless you're willing to be persuaded you're wrong
>never argue unless you're sure you're right and you believe it's worthwhile to persuade someone else of the facts
>it's rarely worthwhile to try and persuade someone else they're wrong
>apologize for what you've done, not who you are
>don't be ashamed of your interests
>try new things with gusto
>learn to be a man. masculinity is not toxic.
>don't make promises you can't keep
>be loyal to friends
>get strong because it feels good
>have a code of ethics...don't tell people about it, just follow it
>get over your sophomore year edgier-than-thou phase as quickly as possible because...damn
>don't expect to meet the woman of your dreams in a bar
>do what you find valuable, not what you think will impress anyone else
>>
>18 years old
>has a group of friends
>browses /r9k/
you're just like all the other 18 year old on here what there to even worry about? dont abandon the friends you have to spend more time on 4chan. go to college btw
>>
File: 1410813321676.jpg (1 MB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
1410813321676.jpg
1 MB, 1840x3264
>>28308172
Six years ago you were 12, that's as much time as will pass before you're 24. Think about that. You'll be a totally different person by that time and you'll care about different things. Even if you're a total shut-in and you stay inside on the internet for six years, you'll meet new people and discover new things that will change your look on the world. And then when you're at that point, you'll still have that much time before you're 30.

21-23 were the worst years of my life in terms of depression and anxiety because I didn't stop to think about this at the time and couldn't put things into perspective. At 24 I managed to get my shit together and the past years have been the happiest of my life, including my carefree years as a kid. The only regret I have is that I wasted that time between 21-23 feeling sorry for myself.

It's okay if you're not a normie, just do what you enjoy doing. You will not become happy or succeed at life by forcing yourself to do things you hate. That's how I think "just b urself" should be interpreted. Do however force yourself to do things that you want but are afraid to do, that will build confidence and boost self-esteem and directly make you happier. Seriously, you are not at a point in your life at all where you should be worrying about your distant future. You are not going to die alone because you never had a girlfriend in high school or are fat or like nerdy things. Whatever you do, never fall for 4chan memes. Never do or refrain from doing anything for the approval of anyone on here. That includes me I guess, for good measure. If your gut tells you I'm spouting bullshit, than just ignore this post and go on doing what you're doing. Let this be the last time you ask anyone on r9k for advice. Next time you find yourself wondering about the direction of your life or facing some kind of moral dilemma, just think about it and do what makes the most sense to you.
>>
>>28308172
Try and fuck anything you can get hard to. Life gets real real fuckibg quick
>>
>>28308526
You're one of those faggots who talk to robots "cause they're interesting", aren't you?
>>
>>28308172
Do not try to work for the greater good. Do something that interests you deeply and hopefully it will be useful for the greater good, but it is fine if it is not.

Be a selfish motherfucker at the core. Altruism helps in social interactions and beneficial friendships, but in the end it is just a tool.

Bonding with someone should have a very solid ground. It could be ideas, goals or admiration, but never bond over feels alone. Feels are just the glue of the delicate architecture of relationships. Do not eat glue like a dumbass.

Disregard public opinion and do whatever you want to the point you see fit.

Man the fuck up.
>>
File: 1455708258960.gif (384 KB, 342x198) Image search: [Google]
1455708258960.gif
384 KB, 342x198
You're 18.

You think you're smart but trust me, you are AMAZINGLY FUCKING RETARDED.

Just go fuck yourself for 5 years then come back when you've learned a thing or two. You have no idea what you're doing right now or how to even tie a knot more complex than your fucking shoelaces.

Holy shit man you're 18 just play video games or something, fuck.
>>
>>28310175
Not really. I don't really talk much or post much, and generally avoid it, I just enjoy reading the posts.
>>
Don't do drugs
Don't "sexually experiment" with the same sex
Don't skip class
Study your ass off in college
Don't try to speculate on the stock market
>>
File: sweatypeeepee.jpg (8 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
sweatypeeepee.jpg
8 KB, 250x236
>>28310248
> tfw I'm literally doing every one of these things

At least I'm making money on the stock market, though
>>
>>28310248
So you are advising that he be a jew, yes?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.