[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not start writing robots? >get to stay at home >work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
Why not start writing robots?
>get to stay at home
>work in front of the computer
>share all your autistic fantasies with the world
All you need to do is start reading more books and visit /lit/ sometimes for a critique. Seems like a perfect robot hobby imho.
>>
It takes so much patience and effort
But I agree, it is the quintessential robot hobby
Even if you don't have any interesting ideas, it gets the gears turning so that you might have more interesting ideas in the future

>write something
>think it's good
>tfw reread it later and it's shit
>>
I hate pretty much everything I've ever tried to write.
>>
>>28308080
A lot of the NEETs here in particular fantasize about eventually writing a book. Maybe it's too late to do it tonight, but they'll start tomorrow. But then tomorrow they browse the archive for last night's threads and get sucked in again. The people who do nothing often fantasize about the easy way they'll make a big break, and keeping their dreams in the back of their heads they waste their lives.
>>
File: 1416400450937.jpg (198 KB, 717x538) Image search: [Google]
1416400450937.jpg
198 KB, 717x538
I realized I had nothing I wanted to say that hadn't been said before, have hated every character I've ever created, and despise everything I've written (aside from some masterful shitposts made on /a/ and /jp/ many years ago). I no longer enjoy the process of writing, revising, editing, etc.

It feels pretty bad, since writing is the only thing I've been consistently praised for. I even won a few contests and scholarships back in high school with things I wrote. I feel like it's an identity I keep trying to adopt these days, despite now having no ambition or desire to be a writer.
>>
>>28308080
I want to write something similar to Mein Kampf tbqhwyfamal
But, as with everything I do, I get bored of it instantly and then go back to shitposting or drinking or something.
>>
My attempts at creative writing make me look like a literal robot. I don't even care that multiple teachers have told me I'm good at writing, I'll forever be shit at creative writing and it depresses the shit out of me.
>>
File: 1460161044556.png (791 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1460161044556.png
791 KB, 960x540
You don't want to be a failed artist.

It's not a good feeling at all.
>>
I'd also add that writing requires real world experience. Good writing, anyway.
>>
how much money can you make writing erotica?
>>
File: 1436905663242.png (311 KB, 539x607) Image search: [Google]
1436905663242.png
311 KB, 539x607
I'm not suited to long-form writing. I could write a book but I couldn't write the volumes of failed books that most writers create.
>>
File: 1396789466386.jpg (42 KB, 500x410) Image search: [Google]
1396789466386.jpg
42 KB, 500x410
>>28308355

This is such an important point. Your average cumcrusted NEET can only write about so many small, droll experiences that do not translate into interesting stories. Fiction requires some real experiences to be made compelling and personal, instead of just trite and rote.

I know because I am one those crusty NEETs.
>>
I want to write with a quill and ink on calf skin parchment.
>>
>>28308357
You have to target retards too stupid to find erotica online
>>
>>28308080
I've tried writing three different times. Gotten a few thousand words down before I realized it was terrible.
>>
I think it's a hard market to break into. A "don't quit your day job sort of thing."

>>28308477
I did my best fiction writing in my teens, when I didn't have a lot of experiences to write about. Now I have too many and nothing comes out. Plus I started writing nonfiction and it requires a completely different state of mind. My fiction is sometimes okay, mostly shit.
>>
File: 1303602453322s.jpg (7 KB, 251x248) Image search: [Google]
1303602453322s.jpg
7 KB, 251x248
>tfw got praised a lot in highschool and college for my writing
>told by a few people that I should write a novel
>write a few thousand words
>it's complete dogshit

I know that many novels, especially first ones often required dozens of rewrites, but I just don't think I have the talent.
>>
I write plays, films, and punk songs
It's fun
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 680x680
>>28308312
>wants to write a Hitler-esque book
>is even lazier and a bigger failure than Hitler
Good.
>>
>>28308080
I have about 20 stories some are short(4-5 pages)and a couple long (60-150) pages. Have them backed up, the trick is to do a sentence or two a day. In one week you got a page. In a month 30 pages. I never plan to publish them while alive though. Their apart of my legacy,
>>
>>28309722
Aren't all of us
>>
>>28309792
>THEIR
>APART

Surely they're in a different language. Otherwise, they're fucking retarded and should be kept under wraps forever or destroyed.
>>
>>28308080
I wrote a thing, but I think it's terrible
The only time I wrote something was in school when I was forced to
>>
File: 1455522818178.jpg (390 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455522818178.jpg
390 KB, 1920x1080
Getting started is the hardest part. I'll write a paragraph, read it, hate it, erase it, start over, get a whole page done, read it, hate it and rinse and repeat until I get frustrated and drop the whole thing. I'd like to say I'm a "perfectionist", but that makes the process seem more grand than it is. The kind of story I want to write isn't exactly something I can outline, either.

>>28308477
I would say reading from other sources is also an important factor. Books, articles, journals, posts on an anonymous imageboard, you can derive knowledge from all of these things, and reading numerous novels from various authors can help you establish the right "flow" in your own writing. But yes, getting outside helps. I also find dreams and random wallpapers on /wg/ to be good sources of inspiration.
>>
i already do and i make jack shit, barely enough to cover basic expenses

it's definitely the best of all the alternatives i've tried, though. you need a lot of luck and a ton of perseverance to get anywhere, probably not for most robots
>>
>>28308335
This. I wrote a book about 3-4 years ago. Sold at local conventions for a while, but really no way to promote myself and you pretty much have to be an accomplished writer to even have an agent look at you.

I still write from time to time but I don't make any money from it.
>>
A serious attempt at writing will, if nothing else, make you appreciate how difficult and complicated of a process it is.
>>
>>28308080
>you will never git gud
>you will just hate yourself permanently
Writing is awful because everyone tells everyone else they're shit and it's impossible to know what's good at this point.

Pomo kinda ruined everything in that sense.
>>
Hello boys, I'm from /lit/. If you fellas want to get some serious, pointed critique of your writing just drop it by in a pastebin in a reply, I have nothing to do so I'll look at them
>>
>>28308080
>Just become a writer bro it's easy anyone can do it

Writing is a hobby.

t. Wrote a bunch while eating breakfast at an expensive cafe
>>
I write a book every day and make a million dollars
>>
>>28311049
Fuck off, King.
>>
>>28308243
>The people who do nothing often fantasize about the easy way they'll make a big break, and keeping their dreams in the back of their heads they waste their lives.
Thats because we don't have dreams or passions in the conventional sense. Some writers want to write, and they'd want to do it regardless of anything else in their lives. We don't have anything like that, anything we do is just a means to an end. We want an easy big break so we can then continue to do more nothing.
>>
>>28311508
Nice to see you fellas are so self aware
>>
>>28311508
Not true. I have passions. I've got a vision. Sometimes it takes a lot of studying and thought to be able to be able to write about a subject in a knowledgeable way. In that way I work a lot. I just don't get paid for it.
>>
Short stories might work for those that can't endure the task of writing novels.
>>
I'm too critical of what I do much less write. What would I even write about? I think I'd be too focused on writing the "it" thing and hitting it big rather than crank out a few terrible books that might pay a rent or two. How do you even do writing as an honest, stable job without being Rowling or Martin or some other super successful person?
>>
I have already completed writing my six-part debut memoir and have also written extensive notes on three novels I have planned, each of which has the capacity to be described by critics as "generation-defining".
>>
I do. I write creatively as a hobby. And I read too

>get to stay at home

b-but fampai, I'm also a unifag. I get to write for both my job, my major, AND as a hobby

feels gewd man
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.