[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's the story behind the foundation of the Fahrenheit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Fahrenheit_small.jpg (11 KB, 166x227) Image search: [Google]
Fahrenheit_small.jpg
11 KB, 166x227
Here's the story behind the foundation of the Fahrenheit unit for measuring temperature.

>be Daniel Fahrenheit
>be in 1724
>decide you wanna play scientist
>make some random mixture and measure its temperature
>say this is the coldest thing EVAH
>set it for the 0 in your stupid scale
>game of scientist won

But what bothers me more is... WHY DO MURICAFAGS STILL USE THIS??
>>
File: 1447381654921.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1447381654921.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
>you will never go down in scientific history
>>
>>28304502
Celsius is a temperature scale based on water.

Water freezes at 0, boils at 100.

Fahrenheit is a temperature scale based on people.

People are cold as shit at 0, and uncomfortably hot at 100. These upper and lower bounds are the basis for reasonable estimations of human comfort in an environment.
>>
They still use fucking feet and inches, what do you expect
>>
Somebody explain to me how much a "stone" weighs
>>
>>28304629
so why do nurses and clinicians use celsius?
>>
>>28304629
People are cold as shit at 0C you fuckwit
And 100F is still livable
>>
>>28304692
Now that you mention it, EVERY check-up I've been to with my doctor they have always recorded height in feet/inches and weight in pounds/ounces.
>>
>>28304692
They don't in America.
>>
>>28304629
actually, 100 F was supposed to be normal human temperature, but Fahrenheit's subject to measure had AIDS^W a fever so it's wrong.
And people in celsius scale are uncomfortably hot at 100 degrees too.
>>
>>28304761
>uncomfortably hot

You mean dead faggot
>>
>>28304761
50 celsius out in the streets is extreme possible lethal heat. the kind of heat that kill elder people
>>
>>28304793
I've been to sauna just fine.
>>
>>28304846
if your body temperature is even like 40 degrees Celsius you'll die chum
>>
>>28304874
your gut is always 41+ degrees Celsius
>>
>>28304502
Because we don't need to bow to faggots like you

Also, America has a huge range of temperatures, from the frozen beauty of Alaska to the baked wasteland of the desert. Fahrenheit is really useful for measuring differences like nuances in temperature. We don't have to get into decimals, we don't say 23.5 or whatever the fuck, there are 10 numbers in between 80 and 90, so we can say like 86, or 83, or whatever.

Also because fuck you freedom, sucka
>>
>>28304898
>not using Kelvin
>>
>>28304892
i mean average body temperature, you can let the damage control go
>>
>>28304629
I really hate this answer, what's the point of having something that relates to 'lol humans' if it doesn't relate to anything else? Celsius is easier to understand and correlates easier with other aspects of life
>>
>>28304874
I had 40+ fever and I am still alive
>>
File: muricafag_anon.jpg (23 KB, 435x186) Image search: [Google]
muricafag_anon.jpg
23 KB, 435x186
>>28304898
anon, this is you in the pic, right?
>>
>>28304502
>But what bothers me more is... WHY DO MURICAFAGS STILL USE THIS??

Beats me.

>be me
>go through murrican school
>learn metric in elementary
>very easy and commonsense
>then learn English system (what we call this)
>odd, but fun
>enjoy the weird measurements
>but people don't really use this
>right?
>get to middle school
>next 7 years we have segments on converting English to Metric
>manually
>wtf?
>get a couple of STEM degrees
>we always use metric
>IRL, always can get metric
>drive a motorcycle
>it's in metric
>etc.
>tfw i have an option and i use metric

Only bonus:

>i can still convert useless-but-fun to metric and back again in my head when I need
>mostly use google for that though
>>
>>28305255
Fuckin' Chuck Norris
>>
>>28305870
Everything that matters is done in metric. But I think we keep imperial measurements so that older people, who were raised on imperial and can't understand metric, can still feel relevant.
When they're gone, they won't bother teaching imperial anymore. And it will die out.

Of course, we won't be measuring anything by then because the world will be muslim and measuring things will be considering haram.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.