[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT ask stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: SCAD.jpg (9 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
SCAD.jpg
9 KB, 251x201
I'm here to answer questions for you guys for a bit since you seem to have a lot of problems.

I'm not a very smart guy, but it's a chance to get shit off your chest and see things from a different angle.
>>
>>28303523
What's SCAD?
>>
>>28303523
Does the mental hospital actually care about me or do they just want my money?
>>
>>28303528
Savannah College of Art and Design

Someone there probably uploaded this picture and I saved it. I don't know the reason behind the file name.

The painting is of Diogenes of Sinope by Jules Bastien-Lepage.

>>28303544
Where do they live? Also people that work with people with mental illnesses don't generally have any emotional investment in them. This doesn't make them bad people, or mean ill towards you. I think this why the nurse from "One Flew Over The Cuc-koo's Nest" is often seen in a bad light when she did no harm. It's their job to make you better or provide a healthy enviroment, it's not their job to personally care about you and your well being. If you're looking for someone to connect to, someone that truly cares about you, this isn't the place to seek it.
>>
>>28303592
>Where do they live?
In their flats/houses?
>If you're looking for someone to connect to, someone that truly cares about you, this isn't the place to seek it.
Probably
How horrible of an idea is it to try to become friends with other mental patients?
>>
>>28303876
>In their flats/houses?

pls no bully, I said I'm not a very smart guy, no need to be sardonic.

>How horrible of an idea is it to try to become friends with other mental patients?
I have no prior experience regarding it, but have been in a similar place regarding education and mentally unstable people.

It's not a horrible idea and there will be people similar to yourself or not too far from it there. (This is assuming you're asking for yourself.) If you're asking generally then the same applies, I believe. Even light friendships in such an environment is good for you.
>>
>>28303523
Why is the world such a rotten, disgusting place, and why does it offer nothing of value to me? Why is there literally nothing in this world I want?
>>
>>28303876
>how horrible...

Awful unless theyre trying to get better as well.

Mental illness also runs hand in hand with awful empathy in many people. Be csreful you arent used.
>>
If you're a kissless hugless virgin at 18, should you just give up and accept your fate?

I feel like I don't have much of an option at this point.
>>
>>28303949
I didnt get laid until 19 and Im only getting more and more skilled socially by 21. Moving out and having a job and being old enough to go to bars hasnt made me normal and people know it but I can speak and make friends.
>>
>>28303925
That's a difficult question to answer because I don't know you or understand what you do seek.

>Why is the world such a rotten, disgusting place
Media is a far too large of an influence on us, as well as a source of information. With the increasing ease of connecting to people online, people being able to post blogs and communication in general spreading so much we have too many stupid, arrogant, selfish and violent people having a voice, being noticed. It seems like shit's on the increase but I believe things have been similar for the past 40 or more years, now it's just more noticeable.

>and why does it offer nothing of value to me?
It depends on your definition of value. The world doesn't exist to cater to anyone, most people just take what they can get, others are satisfied with taking very little just over long periods of time.
Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place. Just because you might not want to be materialistic or not want money, whatever disgusts you doesn't mean there isn't anything there. There is a lot of appreciation to be had towards the natural world from the perspective of just being alive and being able to experience. If you feel like you have no desire then I think you are better off than most people in this 'fucked up' world.
I think you need to adjust to a different focus in your life instead of only looking at the things you do not want.

>Why is there literally nothing in this world I want?
Literally nothing? Do you not even desire to desire? If so, look into Buddhism and Taoism.
>>
>>28303970
Being an 18 year old virgin is fine imo.

I was mostly asking about the whole 'kissless hugless' thing. I legit sperg out around women and that's only in the rare case that I actually talk to them. I can't see myself ever being normal at all
>>
>>28303949
You shouldn't give up. I'm not coming from a preach normalfag-tier angle here. Your priorities are misplaced, and so is importance.

Many people go through the loneliness, the insecurities, fear of never having someone, desire to just be noticed and accepted. It's the standard steps we take. there isn't anything abnormal about you, I think your insecurities are eating away at you, and these insecurities are very likely to ruin opportunities which might come your way, or make you passive about creating ones yourself. The ego is what drive a lot of people to misery in my opinion. Try to let go and step out of your box, anon. And women aren't evil things, the non Stacies don't really care, 18 is an acceptable age to be a virgin at.
>>
>>28304013
>Literally nothing? Do you not even desire to desire?
Literally nothing. There is not one thing or possibility that exists in reality that would make me happy. It's not that I can't desire anything, it's just I don't desire anything the world can provide.

I'll grant you that technology (particularly social media) has put humanity's shittiness on full display, but even in real life there's plenty of awfulness. The sheer amount of hypocrisy, selfishness, lies, violence, and cruelty throughout the world is almost overwhelming. The only respite, love and compassion, is usually actually self-serving or just an illusion people are trying to chase because media fed them lies about it. The world has no redeeming qualities.

I've thought about Buddhism but it doesn't really answer any questions, and believing in its system of reincarnation and nirvana seems as much of a faith-based system as any of the other religions. I'm assuming Taoism is much the same. They'd both probably ask me to become a "good" person to all the other shitty human beings because maybe I might get reincarnated into a better life.
>>
>>28304046
Wow, that actually really helps. Thanks anon.
>>
>>28304111
>There is not one thing or possibility that exists in reality that would make me happy
So you desire happiness, anon? That will never make you happy. there isn't a magical thing out there that will set things right on our head. I suggest to really look into Taosim and or Buddhism if you're at this level.

>I've thought about Buddhism but it doesn't really answer any questions
It doesn't offer answers, it offers help regarding reaching a mindset of fulfillment by your own doing.

>, and believing in its system of reincarnation and nirvana seems as much of a faith-based system as any of the other religions
You're misunderstanding Buddhism or thinking of different sects of it. Buddhism is often misunderstood in the western world. They do not believe in a soul that carries over, 'you' don't become anything in the next life because there is no you, there is 'all', and it's arguably not even a religion.

This is Reddit-tier, but look into Alan Watts, he might get you into it enough to give some answers and then for you to pursue it on your own. He's just a great speaker, don't just look at him.

I struggle to find value, only value I have in my life at the moment is living and existing.
>>
>>28304208
Also to add on to the reincarnation: They don't see it as literally becoming some other living thing after death. Their reincarnation is based on karma, and since nothing in this world is separate, everything is connected everything is seen as 'one', so when you do harm you do harm unto yourself, you are spreading misery, so n 'your' next life it won't be good for you. The English language is very poor for describing these concepts.
>>
Do you have any advice on how to improve work ethic? I'm a decently smart guy, but my grades are average because I always put off doing work, and even when I do sit down to do work I end up going painfully slow.
>>
>>28304256
It's difficult to keep motivation during study years because you start to lose sight and importance of the end goal. And even then focusing too much on it can be bad.

I think a fresh perspective regarding education is to think of it in terms of bettering yourself, forget about the end goal for a bit, or what is expected. You're in a place of education, so much is being offered to you, you should want to teach yourself all of this knowledge and concepts. Try and get in the mindset of simply wanting to learn for your own benefit, study so you know more, are more prepared, are more knowledgeable, don't make it a 'must' for exams, you will pass the exams anyway since you're learning for your own sake in the first place.

If you don't like this approach then just take the last part of it. remember that anything you do, you do for yourself, including the negative and positive things you do or even think about. Nothing else really matters, no one is going to learn for you or pass classes for you. It's just up to you to shape yourself. you could approach it from a selfish angle and just take as much as you can so to keep an eye out for yourself, to make sure you succeed. I mean is it really easier to not study and make yourself fall? The actions might be easier by simply not studying or attending classes, but mentally it could destroy you.
>>
>>28304208
I don't think anyone wouldn't elect to be happy, or at least content. Otherwise you're choosing to be miserable, or nothing, which might be worse. Just an empty vessel.

The trouble with religions is they proscribe a certain way of living, and they all boil down to "be good and virtuous to other people aka massive cunts" to earn brownie points to reincarnation, heaven, fulfillment, or whatever. I get what you and they are trying to say about karma and the impact of evil deeds, but it's still a faith-based proposition. It's asking people to believe, without evidence, that this system is how the universe works.

In a world without purity, a world without true love, true friendship, or honesty, there is absolutely nothing worth fighting for, nothing worth carrying on for. This world is devoid of true morality and purpose, and I choose to abandon this wasteland as much as is practicable. The only reason I'm alive is that suicide is a pain in the ass and fucking it up might make things much worse.
>>
>>28304386
That's why Buddhism is arguably not a religion. there are no commandments you must follow, there is no rule book, it's all about you and letting go of the concept of "you", then just simply existing. It really is just a mindset, a mindset of compassion because you aren't trying to be good, save people, be kind etc, instead you are that way because of the understanding you gain, that doing harm gives no benefit, that you are not separate from this universe but a part of it, every one and every single thing is. It's a philosophy of detachment from the way one would normally see the world. They do not have deity, nor heaven or hell. They simply believe in existence.

>In a world without purity, a world without true love, true friendship, or honesty, there is absolutely nothing worth fighting for, nothing worth carrying on for.

You may still feel and strive for these things. Buddhism doesn't wish to destroy what makes us human, for that defeats the purpose of letting go of the ego. We are capable of great love, trust, compassion. They teach for one to embrace this as a part of being human, or the universe experiencing itself as a person. Depends if you touch into Taoism or different parts of Buddhism it's okay to let go and drink, smoke etc as long as these are not vices, to take it under the view you are living in the world that is, not taking it seriously. They see the world as a play, we are here to do our part. We come in the middle of it all with no knowledge of where we came from or where we will go, while we're here and nothing is actually real or serious then why not embrace it for what it is and appreciate it?
>>
>>28304489
I can't escape the notion that it's just another form of brainwashing. In the same way the media brainwash you into chasing relationships and materialism, Buddhism and its ilk brainwash you into their view of the universe to ensure you remain content and compliant. In the end the message is something like, "We're all one with the universe so let go of your material obsessions and become content with life as you are. Also here's some meditations that'll totally put you at peace."

It's a nice message but it really doesn't solve the fundamental problem with the pointlessness of life, and doesn't make the world a better place. Everyone will be as shitty as they've always been, I still won't have anything that will make life seem worth living, and the world will still be an amoral wasteland of despair. I can certainly not take it seriously, but I can't embrace such a moral vacuum, I can't appreciate such hedonistic squalor. I'm trying to think big picture here but there really don't seem to be any solutions to how fucked everything is, or at least none that don't involve using violence to force compliance to a particular viewpoint, but that's just as horrendous as what we have now.
>>
>>28304737
>It's a nice message but it really doesn't solve the fundamental problem with the pointlessness of life

That's not its intention. It's intention is to offer a way to live because life is pointless, and to still enjoy experiencing it despite it being pointless. As I said, they see life like a play, something not serious, what we are doing with the world is due to us believing we neet X to be happy, and that Y is our enemy, and that money makes you feel better or be better, etc. These are concepts and notions we established in this pointless universe and now are playing along to them far too seriously, believing life can't be right unless you have whatever is dictated by society around you. It's a philosophy of seeing this, accepting the way the world is, and seeing that it's all pointless, not real, the personal issues we have are largely self created. Life isn't "worth" anything, life just is, we made up the concept of value and worth.

>I can't escape the notion that it's just another form of brainwashing
We would be arguing semantics for any influence is. But I believe Buddhism is different because it lets you do it on your own with your own journey to reach happiness / calm / enlightenment. It isn't a ritual all go through or something. Also meditation is also largely misunderstood and misused in the west but that's another topic.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.