[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not become a trucker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: main.jpg (116 KB, 590x250) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
116 KB, 590x250
Why not become a trucker
>>
Being on the road 90% of the time doing nothing but sitting and occasionally moving your arms and legs sounds worse than prison
>>
>>28290928
I did. And I loved it. I did solo and team driving. Lots of strip clubs and lots of other robots driving. They don't know theyre robots bc they're old as shit but they are. You hear funny conversations on the CB. Satellite radio and your in-cab internet connection saves your day from boredom. But feel free to ask me any questions.
>>
File: 1461591769439.png (64 KB, 507x540) Image search: [Google]
1461591769439.png
64 KB, 507x540
Because medicine. The normies have to be nice to me if I'm a doctor r-right?
>>
>>28290928
The job will likely be fully automated within 20 years.
>>
Because the field is going to die after self-driving vehicles emerge and dominate in the 2020s. By the time you finish training and get the experience required, you won't be able to find a job.

Your only hope at not living in a surplus population facility in the future is being intelligent enough to do something a robot or Indian can't.
>>
>terrible for your health
>shit pay
>have to eat shit for awhile before you can actually work on your own terms
>system is designed to grind you out till you quit and bring in fresh drivers so they can pay them starting pay
>have to deal with shitty drivers all day every day

ill pass, but I will say i respect the fuck out of the people that do it

if every single trucker in the US were somehow able to go strike tomorrow, the economy would come to a screeching halt
>>
i'm too scared ill hit something when i try to back up
i'm too scared i'll hit another truck trying to back up and have that trucker kill me
im too scared ill block traffic forever when i try to back up
>>
I heard it was pretty sweet of a gig.
Only thing that sucks is if something fucks up on the rig, aint No one coming out to fix it for you unless you royally fucked yourself. You're an Oscar Mike technician driver. You need to be able to do maintenance on the rig as well. But as long as you know how to do that, I mean even women can do it, then you're looking at like 80k income if you play your cards right. Some old trucker lady I met got a gig for a Oil company, and she was bringing in almost near 80k a year AFTER taxes. I would do it, but I don't want to lose my life and health to driving around some shit for someone else.
>>
>>28291071

HAHAHAHAHA

no. If anything they'll just walk all over you
>>
>>28291104
This is entirely untrue.
If AI is taking care of all these jobs, it would start in factories with forklift jobs..

The training and certification takes 3 months. Do driver training through a company that the easiest route, entirely free if you sign a contract where you'll work off your training in the following 6 months.
I'm an owner operator who leases his truck and I make great money. Even just starting out you make $.78 a mile. 600 miles a day is easy to do..

Especially considering the money you can make with flatbed work or wide/specialty loads you're making hella money.

>coming from an ACTUAL driver. Ask me anything I'll tell ya how it is. I bet these people saying there's no money in it don't even have a driver's license.
>>
>>28291169
Excuses. They have training for this. They won't send you out on the road without proper training.
>>
>>28290928
shitty hours. can't shitpost on the road. no one respects a trucker anymore than a burger flipper
>>
rather drive a box truck locally tbqh
>>
>>28291196
If your rig breaks down there's roadside assistance companies that specialize in diesel maintenance.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>28290928
E X T R E M E
X
T
R
E
M
E

OVER-REGULATION
>>
>>28290928
I would but I get sleepy when I drive and it would be hard to stay awake after a couple of hours
Besides, aren't they being replaced with robots?
>>
>>28291488
>If AI is taking care of all these jobs, it would start in factories with forklift jobs..
>self-driving vehicles emerge and dominate in the 2020s
>in the 2020s
What year is it now genius?

Uber has already ordered a fleet of 100,000 self-driving sedans due to be delivered in the next decade. It's only a matter of time until human operators are cut out of other vehicular delivery jobs. Enjoy the little time you have left.
>>
If I don't fix my shit in school I'm seriously considering either that or the army
>>
>>28291627
can always be a truck driver in the army
>>
>>28291518
>seven grand in debt training
>>
The automated trucker meme is the worst meme I've seen in a long time
>>
>>28291732
>said the horse carriage driver just before the automobile
>>
>>28291032
what kind of driver were you? were you a furniture mover by any chance? those are the only "truckers" I know and talk to
>>
>>28290978
Well inevitably you will get some great stories from either of them.
>>
>>28291779
Which still needed someone to operate a drive around. Shit example is shit
>>
File: 1386217724072.jpg (11 KB, 180x233) Image search: [Google]
1386217724072.jpg
11 KB, 180x233
>>28291690
They earn it back in a handful of paychecks. Idiot.
>>
>>28290928
I want to, but I'm scared of causing an accident in one because some fucking soccermom cuts me off without her blinker and I accidentally kill 4 children.

Even with the best worst-case scenario I end up like one of those poor fuckers who slip off the road and their cargo is spilled out on the grass past the shoulder, I don't want to be in that deep a hole of shit.
>>
>>28291928
it wasn't the senile old man banging on about how horses are all we need
>>
>>28291488
How much would you get paid after the traing deductions ?
Whats the easiest truck to drive ?
How much mechanical knowledge will you have to learn ?
>>
>>28291974
Only if you don't get fired and don't get burned out and quit. Oh, and you have to get hired but that's the easy part after training so men on that.
>>
>listening to awesome podcasts
>great pay
>easy
>health problems but who cares
I do want to try it some day.
>>
>>28291032
do they test you for weed?
>>
>>28292110
Dont be a degenerate faggot.
>>
>>28292082
*meh
I'll have many typos today apparently.
>>
>>28290928
I literally am though.

Being a truck driver is the perfect job for a robot.
>>
I've discovered that you only need to run for like half an hour every two days and cut carbs to not be an out of shape loser.

I'd seriously consider it if my other plans fell through and my current job ends.

I'd be trucking around Europe though and that doesn't strike me as comfy at all.
>>
>>28291833
I did LTL with Western express out of Nashville Tennessee.
>>28292034
You will still get paid after you complete training. You will drive for them at a discounted pay rate to reimburse the training expenses.
You need no mechanical knowledge. If something fucks up you call dispatch and they send someone to look at it while you sit with your load.
Easiest truck to drive? I'm not sure I understand. Driving automatic transmission in a big rig is shitty because you don't have any control and regulating your speed using standard transmission is ideal.

Again, feel free to ask away.
>>
>>28290928
Believe me, I want to.
Just not over the road.
Can't dream of breaking through the cyborg status and settling down if I'm never around my significant other. (Once I get her up here to my country that is)

In due time.
Not a bad thing to do.
>>
>>28292189
ikr, that or a porter, only interaction you have is when you buy coffee/food, or are picking/tipping
>>
>>28292110
It depends. If you're driving for a company, yes. If you're an independent driver/contractor you won't because essentially you're your boss. But if you wreck and get tested and fail you are F.U.C.K.E.D.
>>
>>28291196
80k?
That's it?
If you're an independent driver, you pick the loads and the frequency. You can make double that.
80k is nothing to scoff at really but it pretty much bottoms out at that rate when you're doing oilfield work.
Drive independent or for a good company? Raises galore.
>>
>>28292205
It's okay as long as you stay the fuck away from any routes to the UK.
>>
>>28292256
What's LTL?
I'm in Canada, so I mainly see United Vanlines trucks
>>
>>28292205
ive been on keto for two weeks and without excercise ive dropped over 30 pounds in 7 weeks
>>
File: 67d1a64a6ed516f2.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
67d1a64a6ed516f2.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
https://youtu.be/L-gDMHyvH3A
>>
>>28290978
This, I would never want to work such a soul-crushing job, I don't care about the supposed "feeling of the open road" or whatever stupid concept truckers make up to feel superior to everyone.
>>
>>28292353
Less than Trailer Load.
I can assume.
FTL is what I've also heard of.
>>
>>28292089

Why do people say health problems?
>>
>>28292428
We call them partials over in the uk, cant be sure for all the uk though
>>
>>28292418
Man fuck outta here.
Obviously it has it's downsides but the pay and experiences are top notch unless you join a shitty company, m7.

I would rather do that instead of retail or cubicle work all day.
Then again, each person has different preferences.
>>
>>28292454
Thanks for the tip m8.
How long you been driving?
>>
>>28292437
Because its a problem related to your health.
>>
>>28292492
dont drive anymore im afraid, got a sweet warehouse gig so ive been off the road for a few years now
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1822x6802) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1822x6802
>>28292495
Fuck off! You fag.
>>
>>28291077
this. I seriously thought about being a trucker and realized it will be done by robots in less than 15 years.
>>
File: 1432773651713.png (237 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
1432773651713.png
237 KB, 500x480
Truckers are not welcome here. Fuck off.
>>
>>28294139
suck a dick dummy
>>
>>28290928
All the guys telling you what a great job it is
Remember Owner Operators pay for everything, all repairs, insurance, operating costs, taxes lots of taxes and all the stuff a small business has to pay like social security, medicare taxes, medical insurance any retirement you might want to have and then you get to take a salary, better be with a great company/dispatcher or the loads don't come easy
Freight is way down all across the US, even the container ports are slow as hell, I am a company driver, had a load to New Mexico, ended up sitting at a truck stop for 10 days waiting for a load, no pay all that time, oil, washes, small maintenance, tolls I have to pay for and they reimburse me after I submit all the receipts, take my company, one of the major 3, 90-120 days to pay me back, I currently get .50 a mile, but only when I am moving, nothing when I am sitting, and not actual miles driven but Road Atlas Miles, which are always way, way off, I get "hometime" once a month for 2 days and have to leave my truck at the nearest terminal, if I take the full 48 hours they can give my truck to another driver, the rig I get back is usually fucked up and dirty, so I never take more than one day, bad food, asshole receivers and shippers, 4 wheeler's who can't drive and state police and local yokels who want to jam you up the ass, for a lot of people, like me, driving is a job of last resort, I drive flatbed so I get a bit more money and get to avoid major city downtown's and all those fucked up East Coast low bridges and barely fit loading docks, don't even get me started about snow and ice, fuck, at least with a flatbed I don't have to hear a shipper screaming about their load of shitpaper while I am locked down in a blizzard, "Just Fucking Drive, It's Your Job"
There will be a ton of new openings soon as all trucks are about to be required to have computer based log books soon, no more cheating, should be a lot of fun
>>
File: tw.jpg (811 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tw.jpg
811 KB, 1920x1080
what about the driver shortage meme
>>
>>28291674
Army is going to be automated too.

I hope you can drive rc cars
>>
>>28292771
rollerooni fampai, tbo
>>
>>28294860
sounds like hell tbqh. i dont wanna flip burgers but its all that will hire me in my shit city othee than places like swift and cr england. worthless 27 yr old NEET here
>>
I'm a terrible driver, and often intoxicated. Otherwise it would be a great job.
>>
>>28295386
2nd roll here we go time to get cucked.
>>
>>28292771
Roooolllllllll.

Original Comment.
>>
>>28292771
origiroIl
>>
>>28290928
I would but I can barely find my way around my own neighborhood, I'd get lost traveling across america
>>
>>28292771
Rollan

EL PERUANO
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.