[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
man what the FUCK Is every degree worthless these days? History,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: 1451543394805.png (312 KB, 601x595) Image search: [Google]
1451543394805.png
312 KB, 601x595
man what the FUCK
Is every degree worthless these days?
History, Biology, English, Journalism, Education, Communications, Psychology, Philosophy, Music, Culinary, Art...

Now people are saying even LAW is worthless. What the fuck is the point??
>>
>>28289596
There isn't a point. College is a meme.
>>
Fucking boomers won't retire and live into the 90s. They take all the office jobs. Then all the field jobs are taken by spics.
>>
>>28289707
>Fucking boomers won't retire

or can't because they lost their pensions and 401(k) investments
>>
>>28289596
Anything that isn't engineering is meme degree and basically, you're fucking stupid
>>
>>28289596
I was going to make a thread about college since I'm a 20 year old NEET who wants to enroll in community until I saw yours. What's a good degree to get for an aspie to where I could find a job easily instead of sucking dick to pay of my financial aid? I was thinking Comp Sci, but I'm not too sure of that.
>>
>>28289744
STEM is fool's gold. It's the modern equivalent of a gold rush.
>>
>>28289596

College was never supposed to be "useful". It was either a prerequisite step in an academic career, or something rich kids did as part of their class's culture.

It was never meant to be job training for poor people to get slightly less horrible jobs; community college is where most people should actually go after high school, but university education has been so debased it doesn't even fucking matter anymore.
>>
>>28289596
one word: oversaturation
>>
File: 1453436147581.jpg (721 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1453436147581.jpg
721 KB, 1500x1500
>>28289815
I currently am at a community college
I have transfer after two more semesters. I have no fucking clue what I want to do. As of now I'm only taking 3 classes next semester because FUCK. FUCK. FUCK THIS SHIT IS SO RIDICULOUS HOW DO THEY EXPECT ME TO BE ABLE TO DECIDE WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE FUCK

and if I fuck up thats thousands of dollars down the drain. This is so dumb.
>>
Over saturation and no jobs.
>>
>>28289793
Replying to myself, but would it be better just becomining a fucking criminal? I never had job experience since when I did look for jobs back in high school, it would always be drop-outs or people who got fucked over by the recession working in my place, so I'm screwed with experience.
>>
File: 1460008696155.png (123 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1460008696155.png
123 KB, 633x758
>going to college
>not self-educating yourself and running an online business

You robots crack me the fuck up!
>>
>>28289596
I decided that looking into the future I should probably learn a trade.

Might as well be taught to do a job.
>>
File: 1410066570563.jpg (26 KB, 472x461) Image search: [Google]
1410066570563.jpg
26 KB, 472x461
>>28289596
Yeah, unless you're in a field which has a gradual progression towards moderate success, you're fucked as a robot.

For a huge majority of jobs, the social aspect is a necessary component. In almost all cases it's more important than hard work.

Why are there so many successful people coming out of Harvard? I'll tell you right now, I had 3 classmates go there without working harder than normal or having an above average intellect. They presented the "complete package": social acuity, above average grades, a variety of 'interests', and a competitive streak.

People come out of that place with high-powered jobs because they press palms and put their time into playing people and accruing connections. I keep in touch with one of those classmates, a semi-friend; he tells me everyone considers the classes to be easy. So, why does the most prestigious university in America allow their students so much free time?

It's a factory for connections, a gateway for guaranteed success with moderate effort.
>>
>>28289871
Well don't fuck up then
>>
>>28289596
anything is worth it if you get your degree from somewhere worthwhile and arent at the bottom of your class.
>>
>>28289596
AAyyy lmao have a master's in library science, now making 35k plus benefits out in a rural area, so living is cheap, and it seems like the head librarian is dying soon so i'll prob take her job. I'll then get about 100k
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 960x952) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 960x952
>>28289793
Liberal arts

No seriously it's a good major, especially for people who are unsure about their future career. I got my associate degree in liberal arts and then went to security guard school. It's basic subjects like high school all over again so it's pretty basic stuff.
>>
What is your ideal job /r9k/
If only I knew what I wanted to be then maybe I'd have a goal to work towards
>>
>>28289808
It ain't over yet though. I'm in CSC and electrical engineering, and the future is looking pretty bright for the field.
>>
>>28290082
So your degree in Liberal Arts didn't even matter?

And security guard school has got to be bullshit.
>>
>>28289596
Degrees are mostly meaningless anyway, out of all the people I've worked with who have a degree in my field of choice(I don't). They've all been incredibly and generally useless because they do nothing on their own so they lack MASSIVE amounts of experience(which affects lots of things like their decision making etc).

>Focus on a career in networking
>never used anything other than consumer routers

Granted these people were all at dead-end low-level work but even if they get a job where they will get a bit more experience and can be more useful they'll always only ever know the bare minimum to "get by". This is how it seems with 99% of people in any computer-related field.
>>
>>28289871

>transfer

See, that's where you're fucking up. It's obvious you're not cut out for an academic career, and you're not bothering to study anything stringently valuable or challenging like EE or physics from what I can tell.

Just stay at community college and study some sort of trade. It'll be more valuable, more satisfying, and frankly, more intellectually stimulating than whatever horse shit liberal arts degree you want to get.

t. someone with a shitty university degree that graduated with high honors and plenty of references but still can't find a fucking job
>>
>>28289808
I think stem will always stay somewhat of a practical degree because math is boring/hard/unappealing for most people. it can't really turn into a meme degree unless they decide to water in down massively
>>
i wanted to go to music school

i'm so fucking glad i didn't.
>>
>>28290194
Math will always remain a respectable academic field. But jobs? There are none. Unless you go for your masters.
>>
>>28290194
What exactly do you mean?
I don't think my school offers anything like that
>>
File: 1389631475177.jpg (754 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1389631475177.jpg
754 KB, 1600x1200
>>28290293

There's all sorts of respectable academic fields without actual jobs, anon.

Hopefully, we will one day live in a society where jobs are almost entirely automated and people are just encouraged to study things they like or do things they find fulfilling and interesting. Those born into wealth already experience this sort of lifestyle, so it's understandable why university has always been largely their realm.
>>
>>28290293
what about le software engineering / civil engineering / any kind of engineering ?
>>
File: statue-of-liberty.jpg (65 KB, 965x319) Image search: [Google]
statue-of-liberty.jpg
65 KB, 965x319
>>28290216
I don't think they're going to water it down by making it easier, necessarily.

A current of thought brewing in academic circles is attempting to compartmentalize the general purpose degree into more focused specializations that live or die by their reliance on communications with colleagues forming part of a larger working group.

The degree seems to become easier as the knowledge gained is less disparate and varied. Funny thing about this is that it gives more power to the one who manages the working group, making each trained worker less integral and useful than the sum of them all.

Fun stuff.
>>
Any degree is useless. What matters is your people skills and how valuable you can be to the company. Or you can be cool and do your own business.
>>
File: 1389775365310.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1389775365310.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
>everyone i know who got a good job after college, liberal arts or otherwise, went to a coding bootcamp
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.