[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is philosophy useless ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 19
File: 1455748730317s.jpg (4 KB, 113x125) Image search: [Google]
1455748730317s.jpg
4 KB, 113x125
is philosophy useless ?
>>
>>28286852
Ethics is still pretty important.
>>
>>28286852
No, every academic subject on earth involves the application of philosophy
>>
>>28286852
its an interesting pastime but dont fool yourself into thinking its any more important than that. Don't major in it at college.
>>
>>28286852
Also, It's not so much about the result or the answers that the method of philosophy offers. Rather it's important to have the mental capability to take the analytical side of philosophy into other fields like law, medicine, etc.
>>
>>28286852
Yes. It is shitty, boring, useless, and everyone that likes it is shitty, boring, and useless.
>>
>>28286915
r
o
a
s
t. roastie
i
e
>>
File: David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg (425 KB, 1920x1262) Image search: [Google]
David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg
425 KB, 1920x1262
>>28286915
> plato was shitty, boring, and useless

underage please go
>>
>>28286852

>PhD
>Ph
>Philosophy

Philosophy is basically the foundation of western academics.
>>
Yes. Stop thinking on the inside and think on the outside. It's selfish to waste your brainpower on masturbatory ego cultivation.
>>
Everything is useless, because there is no inherent value to any object, action or idea.
>>
File: enlightening.jpg (108 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
enlightening.jpg
108 KB, 540x562
>>28287065
You could literally say this about anything
>>
>>28286852
It used to be very useful but nowadays it's just a tool to justify awful things and blatantly lie to your face
>>
Extremely useful.

As a major, that depends on if you have a plan for it.

Law school?
Great!

Teaching classes in ethics in X profession?
Great!

Just an aimless philosophy major?
Probably not.
>>
>>28286980
Plato was sexist, I'm going to rally all my car lesbian friends and Twitter protest your employer into taking away all your findings and blacklisting you.
Some femisit studies graduate will replace you and focus instead on the philosophy of 50 shades of grey
>>
>>28287108

hey faggot

the point is the think outside that limited perspective youve got going there

hurrrrr law school hurrrrr teaching hurrrr

fuck the system fuck the system

war

fuck the system

t. enlightened
>>
philosophy is pretty useful for understanding the judicial system, tax system and any political structure. So I guess you can call it useless if your IQ is below 90
>>
>>28287133
You don't deserve any of these dubs.
>>
>>28287147
I only thought OP was asking about philosophy as a major choice.

That's why I was providing him with answers about employment and jobs.

>fuck the system fuck the system

chill mang.

t. Philosophy double major.
>>
File: majorIQ.png (17 KB, 320x697) Image search: [Google]
majorIQ.png
17 KB, 320x697
>>28287148

Speaking of IQs.
>>
>>28287179

>Philosophy double nigger

"philosophy" taught in schools isn't philosophy

>chill mang

yes let sjust hit dat blunt mang and chill out not like the world is going to shit what we need to do is just MELLOW OUT lol you're not a white male school shooter or anything are you lol haha
>>
>>28286852
As a major yeah
>>
>>28287218
>All those STEM majors near the top
>Philosophy in third

W-We stand alone bros.

So...uselessly alone.
>>
File: 1449891652239.jpg (128 KB, 679x960) Image search: [Google]
1449891652239.jpg
128 KB, 679x960
>>28287218
>Education
>110
>>
>>28287241
>"philosophy" taught in schools isn't philosophy

okay

>yes let sjust hit dat blunt mang and chill out not like the world is going to shit what we need to do is just MELLOW OUT lol you're not a white male school shooter or anything are you lol haha

okay haha but dude when for real what the fuck was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, was it Marcelius' soul? That's what I heard, and I think thematically it is completely acceptable.

It sucks that Tarantino is too much of a cuck to show us, but maybe not knowing is better
>>
>>28287065
Nice Spook. I owe the world nothing.
>>
>>28286852
certain sub-fields are.
>>
>>28286865
Ethics is fucking worthless.
>>
File: 1453028885923.png (20 KB, 380x361) Image search: [Google]
1453028885923.png
20 KB, 380x361
>>28286852

Philosophy isn't useless, but it is too often used misappropriately as a tool to troll stem fags.
>>
>>28287292
>what the fuck was in the briefcase?

A golden LED bulb that lit up when the briefcase opened
>>
it's thanks to philosophy that I learned we're all made of fire
>>
File: 1460145650167.png (245 KB, 390x411) Image search: [Google]
1460145650167.png
245 KB, 390x411
>>28287218

>tfw public administration major

The shame just keeps on building.

I find it hard to believe PoliSci is that high, though. Those were the most fun classes I had to take, but they were also the easiest.
>>
>>28287065
>selfish
Why should I devote my short, precious life to serving others to no personal benefit?
>>
>>28287324
>A golden LED bulb that lit up when the briefcase opened

That's actually really cool.
>>
File: 1455908936836.jpg (73 KB, 543x549) Image search: [Google]
1455908936836.jpg
73 KB, 543x549
>>28287241
>"philosophy" taught in schools isn't philosophy

I found a video you might like mang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00
>>
>>28287326
Early Greek philosophers believed rocks had souls because they had magnetic attractions
>>
>>28286852
I would really like to say its not, really
>>
>>28286852
>tfw you were born too late to be a famous philosopher
>>
>>28287339

I didn't even watch it
>>
>>28287343
rocks probably do have souls I don't see any reason why they wouldn't
>>
>>28287356
>when everything has soul
>nothing has soul
>>
>>28287339
I just rewatched this after years.

This video is abysmally pathetic.
>>
>>28287218
humans are so fucking vain
>>
>>28287218
>electrical engineering is lower than mechanical

Wew
>>
>>28287364
ayy, not so fast. asians are still a thing
>>
>>28287339
look at the size of that kids 3 head
>>
>>28286852
No, it's actually pretty useful. It learn you some basic critical thinking which we don't nearly get enough.

You won't get paid for it today but to be fair neither did most of the people we recognise today as philosophers, they were often teachers of some sort, working on their philosophy on the side. So make sure your philosophy is something you do as a side occupation. Don't expect a philosophy factory to open up.
>>
>>28287398
If all things have souls

And all Asians are things

Does that mean Asians have souls?
>>
>>28287411
In that case asians would have souls, but so far the only thing we're saying has a soul are rocks because they're magnetized. the question isn't if asians are things, but whether or not they are magnetized
>>
File: 100sad.jpg (30 KB, 442x740) Image search: [Google]
100sad.jpg
30 KB, 442x740
>>28287405

Academia was never a thing people did to get a job until relatively recently in history. Turning education into job training saddens me to no fucking end.
>>
>>28287498
its only relatively recently in history that unskilled labor has become approximately worthless
>>
>>28287498
Oh totally agree there with you, but that's also a result of boomers pushing all their kids into the "get a degree and you will have a good job" meme, which turned out to be fucking false. So our market is flooded with sort of smart people with degrees, and we need to import plumbers and electricians. You need to be quite smart and problem solving for those two but people demean them as stupid, while those people make more money that lots of graduates do.
>>
>>28287498
It was inevitable, all the manufacturing jobs are gone. With AI coming, all the blue collar and low end white collar jobs will die too. More education is the only way to get a job.
>>
>>28286980
Well yeah, plato was pretty shitty.
>>
>>28287321
What do you think fluttershy brothers cutie mark will be?
>>
>>28286852
Not if you can use it to get someone else to do all the work.
>>
>>28286852
Read an article about this recently that was pretty insightful: http://qz.com/627989/why-are-so-many-smart-people-such-idiots-about-philosophy/
>>
>>28287392
It's actually at the same rank, it's ranking according to IQ and they're both at 126
>>
>>28287498
if you look at the biggest block of what makes the biggest income for the most people it's the tech industry. you gotta get trained if you want in on that
>>
>>28287498
Yet McDonald's employees want to be paid $15/hr which is way more than an average college graduate
>>
>>28287552

I wish my high school could've cosigned all of my student loans, because those faggots made it sound like I had no other option and pushed me to enroll.

Now, after graduating, all I have to show for my education is a shitty piece of paper and lots of debt.

Fuck this generation, and fuck the United States for offering guaranteed loans that drive up tuition rates.
>>
>>28287561

... what the fucking hell are you talking about?
>>
>>28287700
how much debt did you fuck yourself into and what degree did you get?
>>
>>28287065
> Stop thinking on the inside and think on the outside
that litterally doesnt mean shit
>>
>>28287405
interesting fact, Hume made a lot of money from the History of England he wrote and was more famous for it in his lifetime than for the Treatise.
>>
>>28287405
>implying working in a factory is a stimulating objective
>>
>>28287498
The thing is only rich people could afford it back than, and it's pretty much the same now, except everyone feels the need to go to uni nowadays and is ready to take a loan they can't really afford to do so.
>>
i know it doesnt deserve a whole thread so im just going two post this here

Just two minutes ago i contemplated shitting on the floor on purpose. I almost did it but I decided to use the toilet instead. I'm on the toilet rn
>>
>>28286915
>boring
opinion discarded
>>
>>28287065
>It's selfish
Yes, and?
>>
>>28288368
>two post this here
>two minutes ago
interesting
>>
File: 1414952768709.png (110 KB, 330x270) Image search: [Google]
1414952768709.png
110 KB, 330x270
>>28287218
>Materials Engineering is best engineering
>>
>>28287065
>thinking about others
aren't you the funniest guy
>>
Philosophy should be taught at a very early age. As other anons have said, it teaches critical thinking skills and that there can be a wide variety of ways of looking at any issue, and there may not be a "correct" answer.
>>
>>28288569
I think I had a sort of trip the first time I read Hume. I actually think he managed to empirically deconstruct reality in a sort of scientific, not wishy washy sense
>>
>>28286877
Exactly so focusing on philosophy itself is redundant and worthless
>>
More or less. In terms of applicability, it's extremely useless. It's basically just an intellectual wankfest.
>>
File: 1442665920715.jpg (21 KB, 259x365) Image search: [Google]
1442665920715.jpg
21 KB, 259x365
>>28289254
> In terms of applicability, it's extremely useless
> He's never even read Marcus Aurelius

Underage/roasties out
>>
>>28289324
stoicism is a meme.
>>
>>28289339
So you're a woman then? What exactly about stoicism do you disagree with?
>>
File: grescores.png (21 KB, 476x885) Image search: [Google]
grescores.png
21 KB, 476x885
>>28287392

Official GRE scores confirm.
>>
I like philosophy and think it's important when coupled with a subject/topic but over-zealous student are giving it a bad name and overdoing it
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 600x600
>>28287339
>when he confesses that he is an actual virgin
>>
>>28289378

I don't agree with determinism. Saying that, I do agree with the Stoic and Cynical ideals of living in relation to nature, if only because I don't think it's natural for a man to wake up at 7am and be forced to do things which he doesn't enjoy for life, because if you were meant to naturally do those things, you wouldn't have such a strong fucking aversion to it.
>>
>>28289324

Meditations is rather hard to read because of the nature of the text, plus someone needs basic philosophy knowledge and basic historical context to fully realize the messages within.
>>
>>28289894
we're naturally meant to kill, rape, and steal too, but plenty of people are averse to those
>>
>>28289928
> kill, rape, and steal

Are we naturally averse to these things?
>>
philosophy is not useful when you start applying it in a situation/conversation that is irrelevant to what you're talking about.

If someone's like "should I go out with my friends tonight?" And you're like "well, what IS 'should'? that concept doesn't exist" then you're a fucking retard.

You have to remember that we're living in the real world. Philosophy is fun to think and talk about but you need to be able to turn that switch off at times
>>
>>28289642
>why tf would your mostly christian ancestors be smiling on you for bashing modern christians?
>>
>>28290020
If you were to say

"Yes, because it would be enjoyable for you"

Then that's still philosophy. Any argument you make that isn't centered around bias involves philosophy
>>
>>28289928

whether we're naturally meant to do those things or not is debatable, but unlikely, considering the social context in which we evolved. If pushed to certain limits, we might engage in such activities, but they're mostly reserved for proto humans. I'm sure you already know this, but we have a sense of morality and ethics based on what is negative or positive in relation to the tribe, meaning that such things are considered bad and only beneficial to the individual, but you also feel guilty, which is your inner mechanism telling you it is wrong. if you were to rape somebody or steal food, it would be a case of individual success versus success of the tribe, which again, would be a choice made by a creature of our nature and under particular circumstances. These count as natural, anything unnatural is an action that forces us to go against our instincts, such as waking up when we are too tired, or forcing ourselves to eat food we dislike.
>>
>>28289955
Yes, it's only a Judaeo-Christian myth that mankind has an inherent tendency towards evil. We are built from the ground up to cooperate and form small societies and friendships with one another, we're a tribal species.

Not to say there are not a few people that have mental problems, who would for whatever reason enjoy destroying good things, but those people are few and far between. Assuming every single person has terrible intentions does damage to your ability to socialize.

Our natural tendency is to punish those who threaten cohesion of the tribe, like those who tend to kill, rape and steal indiscriminately. If all humans naturally tended towards such things there would never be any tribe in the first place.
>>
>>28290020
holy fuck you have no idea what philosophy is do you?
>>
>>28289955
Only in the in-group.
>>28290020
go away chad, we're having an enlightened discussion here
>>28290157
If you can just redirect criminal actions it's fine.
It's why it's considered heroic for soldiers to murder and rape foreigners, but someone who does the same thing to his own people is considered a criminal.
>>
>>28286852
Learning about philosophy, and especially comparing philosophies, can foster analytical thought, which is very helpful.

Most philosophy is not very practical to know, though. It is interesting and still much more worth your time than browsing 4chan, but it's not something to spend money going to college for. Also, because it is interesting, it gives you interesting things to talk about.
>>
>>28290288

I don't think rape and murder are ever considered heroic. The act of killing can be considered heroic in itself, but it isn't the specific physical act that and how we feel about it that says something about ourselves as a being, but the context in which an act is committed.

Also, somewhat unrelated, I think that it is quite important to have a good understanding of science in order to understand philosophy. You could argue that reality might not truly be real and that our sensory apparatus might only be giving us erroneous and ultimately useless information, but if you are going to discuss humans and their minds, like right now, for example, how can you do so without Empirical facts relating to chemistry, biology or sociology? Without that, everything one says is speculation. Science and Philosophy are like Ying and Yang.
>>
>>28290502
>I don't think rape and murder are ever considered heroic.
Not that anon, but even if rape and murder of another tribe is not heroic, it is not "negative" in the minds of the responsible tribe either.

Human empathy has limits that stop at the tribal level, it's why I don't care about some tragedy in Africa, or even some tragedy on the other side of my country, it doesn't matter at all. Is that a problem? No, it is not. When my friends and family suffer, when my tribe suffers, I will care, but nobody will force me to care about some random individuals of another tribe halfway across the world. What matters to them is irrelevant, I feel no approval or disapproval towards whatever act was committed against them.

In this sense, the suffering of others beyond the tribe is wholly irrelevant, that is what is natural to man. To claim otherwise is to only fool yourself and to do a disservice to your own tribe, the ones who truly need your full attention.
>>
as a degree, yes. there is rally no point or benefit for yourself or society from ding a degree in philosophy.

However philosophy students will say "b-b-but any time you're doing logical reasoning you're really doing philosophy so I win" which patently is not saying anything since every intelligent human is capable of logical reasoning without ever studying philosophy.
>>
if you don't study philosophy to relieve a constant sense of anguish and aporia than you're literally not a robot
>>
>>28291589

Nigga it gives me an even larger sense of existential anguish and dread in regards to the ultimately terrifying and confusing existing of existence, but I study it anyways. Sometimes I think ignorance is truly bliss, but then again, I cannot stop myself from wanting to learn. I sometimes think that every school of thought, or most, can be seen as valid when the rhetoric is backed up, but that is even more fucked up, since it means that there might not be such a thing as an ultimately empirical universal truth and reality, morality and existence are all potentially abstract and ultimately subjective, or they might not be, but humans cannot discern what is true from what is not.

>>28290637
True, but while we do not truly care, we still view it as negative. It simply is not negative enough for us to be emotionally affected, since humans only form about 150 stable relationships at a time. I know this is entry level phil, but isn't it so discomforting how morality and ethics are entirely abstract concepts and you cannot objectively prove that the systematic torture of someone is "bad" OR that there is such a thing as "bad and good" unless in the already established context of something else?
>>
>>28291719
if you started out as ignorant and didn't question anything then you're not a robot anyway though
Ignorance is bliss is a meme because to be properly happy and to know that you lived a good life you need to actually KNOW
>>
File: 18gmIJF.png (201 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
18gmIJF.png
201 KB, 620x387
If you majored in Philosophy, you are basically a retard who wants to be a neet with tremendous debt.

Unless you're definitely going to law school or you want to get a PH fucking D in Philosophy and then teach it for the rest of your life, DO NOT major in philosophy. Literally everyone will mock you and no one will respect you.
>>
Philosophy is a trap for neckbeards.
>>
>>2829176

That depends on your definition of happiness. you can achieve chemical satisfaction, but sure, you will never achieve emotional or psychological fulfillment, but then again no one truly becomes a sage and as Schopenhauer (I think? or was it Nietzsche?) said, satisfaction only leads to more desire, so perhaps it is better to simply remain ignorant of philosophy if you hope to achieve maximum net pleasure.

>>28291859
I know a nigga with a degree in pharmacology, music and a masters in philosophy and he says "it is all about reading shit niggas wrote hundreds of years ago, taking a shitload of stims so you study and write papers all night and then just reading more"

He is also an army vet and used to be one of the main suppliers of drugs on several dark net sites and even knew DPR, who was apparently just some fat neet that liked to get high and got overly ambitious. I feel sorry for him because he got in an accident and fucked up his spine and now he just cons people online for shitloads of money.
>>
>>28291719
>I know this is entry level phil, but isn't it so discomforting how morality and ethics are entirely abstract concepts and you cannot objectively prove that the systematic torture of someone is "bad" OR that there is such a thing as "bad and good" unless in the already established context of something else?
No, I actually find that incredibly comforting, it means morality doesn't exist and I can't be judged by anyone besides myself. It seems selfish but selfishness is not wrong.

Humans, even when acting selfishly, tend to do things that would benefit the people around them. I wouldn't be rude to everyone because I quite like having friends, I would not indiscriminately beat, steal from and rape people because I want people to like me and people generally don't like those who beat, steal from, and rape. I think if humans just did what they wanted there really wouldn't be as many problems as most people suggest, our natural tendencies towards cooperation are sufficient enough for society to operate quite smoothly on a small-community level.
>>
>>28292100
why does this guy have so many degrees that he doesn't need? he could have been conning people since he was 16. he doesn't need an education for that.
>>
>>28292100

oops, meant to quote this nigga instead >>28291764
>>
File: 1422503321344.jpg (103 KB, 861x787) Image search: [Google]
1422503321344.jpg
103 KB, 861x787
>>28287086
That pic never fails to make me laugh
>>
>>28292131

His life is really interesting and I could elaborate but basically he got into drugs really early and wanted to major in pharmacology, but he also loved music, so he did a double major while high the whole time to help him do it. Then, he did it again, but a masters in Phil instead. Also, he's schizophrenic and suffers from auditory hallucinations, which sucks. He did have a proper job originally on top of the dark net shit and did a lot with his life, like doing stuff with Ramona Xavier, but now his spine is fucked and he needs fucking diapers and can hardly walk. It is actually real fucking sad.
>>
I majored in Philosophy while in college (well, Philosophy of Religion, although at my university that merely meant taking both philosophy and religious studies courses).

I readily concede that it's not the most marketable of Bachelor's Degrees but the same could be said of many such degrees. I'm a humble civil servant now, and so I would be the first to admit that Philosophy as a discipline isn't a fast track to wealth or prestige.

For all of that, I have never regretted my studies. I read beautiful things written by brilliant people and had the opportunity to discuss those writings with people who were just as fascinated by those ideas as I was.

In pragmatic terms, it certainly teaches you how to think both analytically and creatively and, in doing so, reconcile the two modes of thought. You learn to see the world through a variety of perspectives, you are forced to view reality through a host of different eyes.

So no, I will never attain riches by virtue of the studies I pursued. And yet, I will at least have something interesting to think about during those long lonely hours. And if I don't have the company of human beings to comfort me, at least I will have a host of human ideas to sustain me in my solitude.

When all is said and done, I think there is something to be said for that.
>>
File: pepe-the-frog-meme.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme.png
48 KB, 500x282
>>28292283
do u like frogs
>>
>>28292283

tfw my university lecturer was a Phil major and I briefly mentioned stoicism and cynicism to him and his eyes lit up since he could talk about something he actually fucking cared about and started giving me book recommendations.
>>
>>28286852
it's "useless" in the same way that watching the new episode of game thrones is useless. people entertain themselves using their imagination. it's not a bad thing.
>>
>>28287218
STEMfags ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>28286852
It teaches you what you strive for, not how to do it
One of those things is more profitable than the other
>>
>>28291897
sage wisdom. don't fall into the philosophy trap. it's basically the go-to for people who are failures in everything else in life and say "hey, i'm deep, educated and interesting! not like all you mindless morons winning the ratrace."

philosophy is for losers

i recommend you start with bertrand russell or the republic by plato
>>
>>28286852
No, but nowadays philosophy is much different from what it used to be. Currently, the philosophy popularized and populated by liberals is useless.
>>
>>28292716

And that was the sort of experience that I still treasure to this day, old man that I am whose university days are far behind him. Talking with people who would become excited about ideas for the sake of those ideas.

The bizarre thing about it all is that there were students who aspired to a philosophy degree and failed. Yes, I know, it's hard to imagine for someone has never taken that particular curriculum and assumes a major in philosophy is as challenging as a major in feminist studies or social justice or some such thing. And yet...

There was a fellow philosophy major who was struggling greatly with his courses. He persevered however, because he truly felt there was something of value in all of it. He was drawn to it; he simply didn't have the talent for it.

I can still remember the last time I saw him before he dropped out. He was a fraternity brother who had no lack of success with women. A friend and I were walking down the Main Street of our little college town late one night, and said fraternity brother passed us, a very pretty woman by his side.

He more or less ran to me and my friend and began to praise us in front of said woman, who was rolling her eyes the entire time. Nothing but almost fawning admiration in his voice. It was incredibly embarrassing, but also kind of nice.

His praises exhausted, he linked his arm around the woman and walked on. And I continued down the wizard's way.

Would he trade my position for his? Of course not. Although, in that moment when he had nothing but praise and admiration, he might have had the briefest, most ephemeral temptation to do so.

For his sake I'm glad he never had the opportunity to succumb to such a temptation. It would have been nothing more than a deal with the devil and, when all is said and done, whatever wisdom the devil has to offer, it pales in comparison to what the Spirit of Nature gives to those she loves.
>>
File: 1407407782876.jpg (157 KB, 992x880) Image search: [Google]
1407407782876.jpg
157 KB, 992x880
>>28286865
>Ethics is still pretty important.
shiggy
>>
>>28289428
>over-zealous student are giving it a bad name and overdoing it
Sure, it's totally not the STEM crowd going around with >muh 300k starter and claiming philosophy is dead and useless
>>
>>28287133
Actually, in his dialogue the "Republic", women and men are given the same rights.
And this was not the norm in ancient Athens (a very patriarchal society).
>>
No less useless than asking the usefulness of philosophy.
>>
File: 1457886697514-0.png (30 KB, 694x364) Image search: [Google]
1457886697514-0.png
30 KB, 694x364
>>28293068
No philosophy thread is complete without Stirner barging in and fucking shit to pieces
>>
>>28286852
Yes. It doesn't get anything done and there is no absolute truth whatsoever other than an opinion from some other human that died ages ago.
>>
For people ITT who read philosophy: I've read several takes on ethics, from Egoism to deonthology to pragmatic ethics to nihilism, and while deep down in my heart I'm a nihilist and believe there's no objective moral standard, I can't find a coherent argument against the so-called "ethic of reciprocity", made famous by Confucius: "Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you." Are there any good arguments against this maxim?
>>
>>28293174

please explain spooks to me. I keep hearing this term, but don't understand it.
>>
>>28293240
Dirty commie think
>>
>>28293240

but being mean to others makes me feel good, and in a universe without morals why not feel good?
>>
>>28293240
Kant, grounding for the metaphysics of morals. I can grab my book and type out the footnote where he actually addresses this
>>
>>28286877
Computer science called and would like to have a chat about logic and computabillity and the such.
>>
>>28287343
>doesn't understand khthon's relation to psyche haha oh wow
>>
>>28293288

cuz it is very mean anon
>>
>>28293399

I'm only mean to the mean though
>>
>>28293356

Metaphysics of morals sounds really interesting. Can you tell us a bit about what he had to say?
>>
>>28288133
yeah it does, anon. just make sure to think outside of the box. also be yourself, cause everyone else is taken. teeheeheeheehee
>>
>>28293456
Okay, from Kant:

"let it not be thought that the trivial "do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself" can here serve as a standard of principle. For it is merely derived from our principle, although with several limitations. It cannot be a universal law, for it contains the ground neither of duties to onesself nor duties of love toward others. Nor, finally, does it contain the ground of strict duties toward others, for the criminal would on this ground be able to dispute with the judges who punish him, and so on." - Footnote 23

I dont know how you feel about Kants ethics, but I accept the categorical imperative as the ultimate ethical guide
>>
>>28293412

but how do you define mean? And do you deserve to be treated badly? If not, does that make you an exception to your rule, in turn making the rule in itself an oxymoron?

But seriously, without ultimate metaphysical evidence on the existence of over-enveloping morals, there is not really anything that should indicate whether or not to act like a cunt or not is good or bad besides your human instincts, so go wild, I guess. then again, as a human, you are expected to act like one and your brain rewards you for doing so, so by acting in accordance to your nature and behaving morally, you should actually be happier.
>>
File: PHILOSOPHYFORNORMIES.png (68 KB, 500x515) Image search: [Google]
PHILOSOPHYFORNORMIES.png
68 KB, 500x515
>>28290240
it's like in those cartoons when some guy asks "what is the meaning of life?" right? Lol what a bunch of useless crap XDDDDDD
>>
>>28293240

Let assume for the moment that your particular metaphysical system makes nihilism the most authentic position to adopt. There is no telos inherent in the universe, and so consequently no actual foundation upon which any morality to rest.

The problem being is that although reality at its very base may be meaningless, we don't experience the thing in itself. What we experience is ourselves as social animals who feel compelled to survive as such. Given that, it's not surprising that something like an "ethic of reciprocity" would seem compelling even to a nihilist. One may be a nihilist whose soul belongs to the Dionysian Abyss, but still be a man whose body belongs to the phenomenal world. And in that phenomenal world, at least insofar as human beings as social animals experience it, something like the ethic of reciprocity is inescapable.

Every dualism presents that sort of conflict and, when all is said and done, the determinist and materialist are no less dualists than the Christian who believes in Heaven above and Earth below. In some senses, when it comes to dualism, the determinist may excel even the Christian.
>>
>>28287339
cringey as fuck
but he isn't wrong
>>
>>28293518

but what if my meanness consists of not obeying rules made by a woman? You don't need to answer, I realize as Im writing it's just common sense.
>>
>>28287498
>tfw 19
> didn't go to uni because i saw the generation 3-5 years older than me fucking up
feelsgoodman
>>
>>28293258
Illusions of the mind. anything that feels real, but doesn't really exist upon closer examination.
>>
>>28293590
>is philosophy useless ?
here's the proof it is
>>
>>28291719
>>28290637
>>28290502
am i the only person who doesn't really care about rape, killing, and theft? it doesn't bother me at all
>>
>>28286877
Spoken like a true philosophy student.
>>
>>28287218
>IQ means anything

>enroll mentally challenged in a chemical engineering course
>he all of a sudden has the prestige of a 128 IQ person
HURR DUURRRR
>>
>>28293806

as long as it doesnt happen to someone close to me or to me it is a matter of indifference
>>
>>28293806
I'm with you in the sense that I don't care when it happens to people I have no relation to. It would very much bother me if my mother was raped, or my friend's mother, but if it's some random person's mother I can only bring so much sympathy to the table, usually close to none, or none at all.

"Wrongness" begins and ends with myself, and I personally care for only a limited number of people in this world. In that case, I really can't see African genocides as wrong, in fact even hearing about them is a nuisance to me because I'm "shamed" by others for not caring about them, or even worse, expected by others to give charity.

I could say "If I were in the African genocide it would probably be pretty bad", but then again I could put myself in any position in the world and it could be anything, if I were Hitler the holocaust would be "pretty good", if I were a Jew in Germany it would be "pretty bad", so it really is irrelevant asking these what ifs, it's a headache actually, and again completely irrelevant to what I personally feel, because in reality I am not any of these people, I'm just me.

It sounds like a shitty, narrow worldview but I really don't care what most people think anyway.
>>
>>28293590
can you explain this without sounding like a stuck-up twat pls?
>>
>>28293992
found the fucking retard guys

they're just taking averages you fucking autistic sperg
>>
>>28293998
>>28294116
i also don't have any relationships, my parents and i parted on bad terms a few years ago
>>
>>28294606

Well, I suppose I could. In my younger days, I worked with the disabled, so I have plenty of experience spoon-feeding people, both figuratively and literally. And being referred to as a "stuck up twat" does make the prospect of doing so for you particularly tempting.

However, this is a philosophy-themed thread, so I think I'll resist the temptation.

Besides, you are without a doubt an intelligent young man capable of critical thought, and I'll deal with you based on that assumption. Anything less would be an insult to your intelligence, right?
>>
>>28287335
Depends on what type of track you want to go on.

The academic and policy researchers who get published with quantitative research are essentially statisticians who know a lot of politics
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.