[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>friend keeps trying to get me to learn japanese >say I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1461296348237.jpg (171 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1461296348237.jpg
171 KB, 1280x1024
>friend keeps trying to get me to learn japanese
>say I'll get rosetta stone or something
>he buys into the /djt/ shit
>says that all software and programs are shit and you have to follow some /a/utist's guide word for word or you'll never learn
>mfw people actually take real life advice from 4chan
>mfw he's threatening to stop being my friend if I use anything other than /djt/
>>
rosetta stone is shit, laddie

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete
>>
>>28286691
I'm sure it is, but I seriously doubt taking advice from some hikkimori on /a/ is much better than something that is sub-optimal
>>
>>28286768
I'm using the DJT method for a year now. It's just a list of free stuff you can download, and rosetta stone is included.

They have an Anki pack that's really good, although it's pretty advanced.
>>
rosetta stone is shit for languages like japanese, I would go with online courses too
>>
>take Japanese classes at a community college for a year and a half
>get decent grades but none of it sticks
>forget everything as soon as I stop taking the classes
guess I'm not a language person
>>
Living language is God tier for learning and remembering Japanese
>>
>>28286524
>tfw you're too much of a loser to learn a language
It would be cool, I would like to learn German before it becomes a dead language
>>
>>28286524
The best way to learn Japanese is through memrise, anime, and japanese kid shows and songs.

maru maru mori mori
>>
you need to live in japan while learning japanese to get any good at it. otherwise to the japs you'd sound to them like engrish in anime sounds to us
>>
>>28286691

This is the best guide to a language I have ever seen in my entire life.

I obtained a working grasp of the language very quickly after Tae-Kim.
>>
>>28286524
Assuming your main goal is to understand a language, and perhaps not create so much in it, there's no point in buying courses in which you pay for tutoring and talking exercises. There's more than enough material available online for free on grammar and vocabulary,
>>
>>28287172
obviously
after I'd learn and while I learn I'd use interpals to get a penpal to skype or message so I'd be able to work on fluency

>>28287186
I would never learn it just for anime and manga
I'm thinking about finally picking it up since I have a job in tech and I could maybe use that to my advantage if I know an asian language, which is pretty uncommon in america
>>
>>28287038
I took japanese at my college. Really liked it. Then took a break from college. Now I have to debate learning it again, moving forward after forgetting, or not going back. All of which suck as options.
>>
>>28287212
>I would never learn it just for anime and manga
My comment was general, not just related to japanese and weebstuff.
>>
FACT: There is nothing interesting about Japan that requires an understanding of the language outside of anime and manga.

FACT: You cannot refute this.
>>
>>28287804

I like shrines and fresh sushi desu.

Otherwise, I think I would have to agree mostly.
>>
File: 13647814325.jpg (771 KB, 1251x1077) Image search: [Google]
13647814325.jpg
771 KB, 1251x1077
>>28287804
>historical documents and discussions from japan are highly controversial
>including WW2 history which has revisionists fighting other revisionists about what actually happened
>only a fraction of this discussion and information is translated

>there's no reason to ever learn japanese
>mfw
>>
>>28287804
untranslated video games

checku-mateu
>>
File: 1462212886308.jpg (172 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1462212886308.jpg
172 KB, 850x850
>>28287038
>take japanese as bullshit course to be considered full time student first year at uni
>jokingly think in the back of my head it will make watching anime easer
>flashforward 4 years of courses
>abandon original major because I landed a job as a translator for a japnanse based company that has a north american headquarters and I pretty spend all day translating things back and forth while also sometimes acting as an interpreter.

its kinda weird in retrospect how a bullshit class led me to my current job.
>>
>>28287925
>I like shrines and fresh sushi desu.
You don't need to know japanese to ring a bell and clap your hands, or to eat food
>>28287944
>implying you're a historian
>implying becoming a historian who would be trusted with one of a kind documents isn't the harder part of that process and not learning a language
>>
>>28288204

The bell-ringing and clapping instructions are in Nipponese.

>>28288071

How many hours did it take to fluently understand anime?
What kind of things do you translate?
How would you rate your general knowledge of Japanese?
Books to read to expose oneself to the more subtle intricacies/nuances of the language?
>>
>>28288299
you do realize that if you're translating business documents that you don't really have to understand the intricacies of the langauge right?
it would be mostly technical jargon in japanese along with grammar and some cultural context, but 99% of business documents are written in very formal correct language with very little slang or extra bs

>>28288204
>becoming trusted
I mean reading the discussion back and forth
when I took a japanese history course at uni, we discussed one of the few translated accounts of the subject matter, which I didn't find out until later taht the author was tried by the government for lying and revising history in his book

but most of the accusations and discussion surrounding it was done in japanese
so even though it was a peer-reviewed secondary source, I couldn't see the reviews or comments because they weren't in english
>>
Is it difficult to understand anime with ENGRISH?
>>
>>28287172
Depends on your language learning ability and native language (mine is superficially very similar to Japanese).
>>
>>28288609
english?
I've heard grammar-wise, the two have a lot of similarity along with both being based on context instead of tone like chinese is
>>
>>28286524
Hang yourself.
It's easier.
>>
>>28288719
>english?
Finnish.
>>
>>28288724
That seems like a good filtered
>>
File: 1444332367868.jpg (143 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1444332367868.jpg
143 KB, 633x758
>>28288744
Do it fucker.

hjfg
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.