[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>really interested in music >spend hours looking for new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: image_0.jpg (22 KB, 321x400) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
22 KB, 321x400
>really interested in music
>spend hours looking for new stuff to listen to and researching artists
>decide to try and make some stuff myself
>practice guitar for months and i can barely manage to play a few chords in a row without fucking it up
>welp maybe this isn't for me
>try electronic stuff instead
>download FL and watch all the youtube tutorials i can find
>still can't manage to make anything decent
>all these ideas but I'm just too retarded to get any of them down
Why do I have to be complete shit at everything I'm interested in
>>
>>28281229
practice is all it takes
>>
i'm like the opposite. i'm pretty technically skilled but i can't come up with ideas ever
>>
>>28281269
This.
No creativity sucks
>>
I can only make cool sounding music on the Gameboy Camera DJ game.
>>
>>28281229
People don't learn to make music in a few months you know
>>
>>28281267
After months of practicing I would expect to at least be slightly better but I'm just as shit as when I first started
>>28281269
At least you can play well, that's something I guess

I have all these ideas swirling around in my head and no way to get them out
>>28281287
Never played it before but it sounds cool
>>28281292
I'm not expecting to be some technical wizard in the first few months, just to not be as shit as when I first started
>>
Exactly the same here, I tried to get into writing, drawing and music but can't do any of them. I hate being only able to consume media but I'm too shit to be able to create anything myself
>>
>>28281335
Keep working on it, stoo bitching
>>
>>28281335
I'm sure you're not as bad as you were when you first started. We generally don't give ourselves enough credit. Be proud of what you can do and don't beat yourself up over what you can't yet. just keep trying and practicing and you'll get better. That's all it takes.
>>
>>28281514
What's the point in working when I'm not getting anywhere after months? A few more won't change anything
>>
>>28281625
Keep working on it, stop bitching.
>>
>>28281625
Try a few years
>>
>>28281622
Perhaps that was slight exaggeration but I still can't get down any of the ideas I originally wanted to. I feel like they're wasted on me because I don't have the technical ability to reproduce even a simple melody I can imagine perfectly in my head
>>
>>28281826
Keep workin on it, stop bitching.
>>
>>28281836
Is this all you're going to say?
>>
seriously? FL isn't that hard man. I remember just picking up FL wondering what the fuck to do. Now I can sample, mix, master, make beats and other shit within 15 minutes. Took me about 5 years of constant fucking with out of boredom though.
Seriously there is a tutorial for anything you need.
>>
>>28281625
Keep practicing faggot. You're probably not putting in the time or the effort. Actually take your time and focus on practicing right. If you just keep playing badly you'll just develop muscle memory for bad form.

Do chord changes. Slowly and then progressively get faster. Play some scales. Try working on simple songs.

How much time do you practice, typically? In a few months I was playing pretty decently, but I was also putting in hours a day.
>>
>>28281858
It is literally that fucking easy. Now quit your bitching and go make some music for fuck's sake.
>>
File: 0149 - FgdKzqx.jpg (25 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
0149 - FgdKzqx.jpg
25 KB, 251x251
>>28281229
fl takes fucking months to learn enough to make good music
>>
>>28281229
I feel u bruh
I work wt fl and ableton
Same story but I actually started gud
I was having problems on pc and It always ends restoring pc multiples times after I work again on stuff
>>
>>28281229
start by learning classic rock songs, even if you aren't into classic rock
they're extremely fucking simple and give you a great foundation of chords and finger techniques
the first complete song I ever learned was House of the Rising Sun
>>
>>28281861
Maybe you're just naturally skilled then, I've watched tutorials but all I can do is rip them off and add in some background embellishment
>>28281884
When I was working on guitar it was typically around 45mins/1hour if I had work and around 2 hours if I didn't

Now I've been working on FL more but still not making any progress
>>28281898
Whatever you say senpai
>>28281902
There someone in this thread who said it's simple, I've seen 14 year old kids upload stuff that's so much better than anything I could hope to do
>>28281951
I've looked at ableton but FL seems to be the most beginner oriented (well I say that but I'm still shit at it kek)
>>
>>28282010
I use both bc thers different stuff u can do wt each
Im into dubstep
>>
>>28281826
Have you studied or read up on any music theory? Familiarizing yourself with different techniques can help a lot. Also just play around with your guitar or whatever instruments you have. Until you have a lot of experience under your belt and can like...detect the exact note that you're thinking... translating a melody from your head to your instrument is going to be a lot of trial and error. The main thing you have to do is keep trying and don't let yourself get discouraged just because you don't immediately make a masterpiece on your first try. To be completely honest with you your first few attempts at making songs are probably going to be complete shit. But just keep making them man

I'm sorry I kind of started rambling there. But just don't give up
>>
>>28281955
Ignore this faggot. Lean some fingerstyle. Dust in the Wind was the first song I learned. It's easy as fuck and is impressive looking to most people who don't know shit about guitar. It also introduces you to a few techniques that are worth learning.

Also just try learning everything you like listening to. Some of it will be too hard, but give it a try anyways. Get as far as you can. One of the earliest things I learned was the solo from One by Metallica.

You'll progress so much faster when you're learning a song you both already know and one you already like. It's just more mentally rewarding and doesn't even feel like practice.
>>
>>28282049
Also head to /mu/ because they have a pretty good thread on learning guitar. They also have a production thread that has tips and downloads to books that can help you. I generally don't post anything there though because they can be assholes
>>
>>28282032
I like dubstep too, actually just listening to some Mala now lel
>>28282049
Kind of but I don't think it helped at the time, desu I've probably forgotten most of that stuff now
>>28282053
My favourite genre is probably prog but most of that stuff is way too technical for a newfag
>>
>>28282102
I think u mean Malaa
Malaa isnt dubstep tho ahah
Check his set on ultra dis year
Creepi af
>>
File: 1_3.jpg (63 KB, 794x571) Image search: [Google]
1_3.jpg
63 KB, 794x571
What are you trying to make though? Blackened noise is really fun to make if you can get down with it. If browned noise is a thing( something like goatfucking ritual) then try that its fun to make. Try and sample raw data from things you like too.
>>
>>28281229
I got a friend that plays the guitar in a huge group with national success in the country I live in. To get anything decent it's cost him a pair of years.
>>
>really good at guitar
>can't think of any melodies on it
>have lots of ideas for sounds with music prod
>can never find right synths or get them down the right way, always sounds weird
Fug me
>>
>>28282226
Nah I mean Mala from DMZ, only really heard Notorious by this other guy but it's pretty sick senpai
>>28282252
Anything decent really, I listen to a lot of hip hop beats, dubstep and techno so something with that vibe

Don't really listen to noise desu
>>28282259
I'm not looking to be a big shot musician of anything, just want to make some good tunes senpai
>>28282319
Fuck the last part is exactly me, I thought of a hip hop melody yesterday and spend like 1.5 hours trying to adjust the synth so it worked and still didn't manage to get it right
>>
>>28281229
OP, you need to get over yourself.

Coming from someone with 5 years of audio engineering and a classically trained (yes i'm a pretentious piece of shit) background under his belt, it takes hours and years to git gud. If you're really interested in music, you'll continue in the face of failure and learn and grow and develop beautifully as a musician. If it's just something to try and make yourself a special snowflake, then try something else. Like anything, it takes a LONG time to master.
>>
>>28282346
>senpai doesnt notice
>>
>>28282425
W-what do you mean
>>28282405
I want to git gud but it's just so demoralising not making any progress after putting months in and meanwhile some kiddies who've had the software for days are making insanely good tracks
>>
>>28282582
You literally spent this thread feeling sorry for yourself
>its so hard
>I'm not getting anywhere
What do you expect? Some magic fucking genie to grant you music powers? Heaps of cunts here have told you what it takes so stop being a whiny bitch, practice and git better.
>>
>>28282582
(I'm >>28282405)
The thing is, they're putting in months too, you just don't see it or they're lying. And there will always be someone better than you.

That's the biggest meme of /r9k/: all of us should somehow be good at something innately. For truly impressive skills like creating, mastering, and mixing a track, it will never be innate.
>>
>>28281229

you have to be realistic, you are starting from bottom

just keep going the magic will come don't worry, keep praticing and you will be here in no time
>>
>>28282691
>>28282788
I am still practicing, all I'm saying is that it's hard to carry on for months when you see no improvement.
>>28282767
Yeah you're probably right, I've never really been concerned with being the best at something because that's just unrealistic. What I want to be able to do is to be able to think of something and know what I have to do to get it down instead of spending hours fucking around with synths and getting nowhere
>>
>>28282346
Yeah it's tough, but anything worth doing is worth doing well. Normie saying but it's true here. If you get discouraged by kids doing that, well most of the time they're just taking good sounds and synths other guys have made or used and re-packaging it, it sounds good but that's because it's a formula. It'll take a lot of time and effort to come into your own but you'll get there
>>
OP your problem is you just have no motivation.

Normalfags learn things easier because of their better genetics and memory retention as well as positive influence from parents and peers that support them. They associate learning with reward and that's the definition of motivation. Of course they are learning the same instrument as you but they have a parent or two who knows how to play, or who is a role model in their life. Maybe they have a girlfriend they can play to. All that boosts motivation.

You probably practice guitar alone in your room with a lifetime of shitty experiences weighing down your back trying to learn chords while your fingers are sore.
>>
>>28282840

you going through a phase everybody, even famous artists go through

don't worry about it too much
keep going
>>
>>28281229
dude you need to record yourself while you play. and compare 5 months ago with now. there is always a difference.

And in reality you will literally always suck at playing an instrument.
>>
>>28281229
I have just the things
>Watch anime
>learn to use/ listen to vocaloid
>Play osu
>Become a Japanese music consumer.

People, mainly newfags. Don't realize that anime is the lifeblood. This site was founded on anime. You may turn your back on anime, but anime will always be here for you.
>>
>>28281229
If you want to play an instrument, get some lessons. Seriously. They're not expensive and they make learning so much easier it's ridiculous.
>>
>>28282911
Tbh that's exactly what I've been doing so far, just tweak some presets in Nexus and get drums straight out of a sample pack and it's still shit
>>28282918
Kek surprisingly accurate but I'm not sure what I can do about this. I've tried making friends before and the closest I got was some fake normies who never actually gave a fuck about me so I eventually just cut contact
>>28282936
You're probably right, I'll try and stick with it but sometimes you just realise how shit you are and wonder why you ever thought it was a good idea
>>28282997
I don't want to just consume stuff though, that's the whole point
>>28283017
I'm a massive poorfag, barely managed to scrape together enough to get a decent guitar. Tbh I'm mostly thinking about electronic stuff now and there's not much in the way of lessons for that
>>
We live in a world where things are so fast and convenient, people get discouraged if they spend months working on something and don't master it. Smartphones were a mistake.
>>
>>28283104
You will see the light. Soon you will. And the safety of anime and Japanese music will be there.

Learning vocaloid I'll let you make music with vocaloid. Playing osu will help with rhythm, give you some fun, and you could become a mapper.
>>
>>28281229
>FL
Fuck off, pseudo-composer
>>
>>28283201
That was pretty much the whole point of this thread
>implying there aren't professional musicians who use FL
>>28283192
I'm not a weeb and don't want to be one either
>>28283135
Completely agree with this, I feel like the internet has completely destroyed my attention span
>>
>>28283298
Watching anime doesn't make you a weeb. Acting like a weeb makes you a weeb. I'm a straight up KV normie that likes anime. When you start doing weeb shit and becoming a weeaboo cringe video you're a weeb.
>>
>tfw started singing 8 months ago by going out for drives in the middle of the night and signing for hours
>have done this almost every night for 8 months
>have been learning guitar as well
>tfw shitty at guitar but extremely powerful voice
I've got a really deep voice and I yell everything is sing, so the sound I generate is insane. It would sound amazing over a nice acoustic guitar but I can't seem to sing while playing, I lose track of both.
>>
>>28283352
>osu
>vocaloid
>kpop
>not weeb shit
I watch as much anime as anyone else on this Cambodian cartoon forum but I don't do weebshit
>>
>>28281229
>not going bass
>not downloading Ableton
>>
>>28283496
FL is said to be more beginner friendly, or is that just a meme?
Tbh I might just pussy out and try drums
>>
File: 1458266717805.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458266717805.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
I used to be a guitar teacher, OP.

What have you been practicing? What's your routine? Do you grasp the concept of scales/keys/etc and their purpose?

Also what kind of music do you want to make?
>>
>>28281229
Learn fucking Music theory you mong.
>>
>>28283632
Tbh I haven't done anything with the guitar in the while but it used to be just practicing chords for a while (trying to get myself used to the shapes), then scales and easy songs if I could (but I normally went too slow and missed the beats)

Looking more at electronic right now but that's just as difficult desu
>>28283632
I don't think that's the problem, I can come up with ideas but it's getting them out that I struggle with
>>
>>28283724
Electronic music, and any music that isn't Taj Mahal Travelers-tier noise really, requires a basic working knowledge of scales. How familiar are you with them? Did you just practice the shapes without really knowing why, or do you understand their purpose and how to build melodies and accompaniments from them? What scales have you learned?

If you're not practicing with a metronome for starters, you should consider doing that. Slow and on the beat is better than slow and missing beats. Also regarding DAWs like FL Studio, are you having trouble composing, or are you having trouble working the program? If you're having trouble composing, I might be able to help you. If you're having trouble with the program, you're shit out of luck since I've never used FL Studio.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.