[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anime is for normies.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12
Anime (like geek culture) is mainstream normie material now. Hell, it comes on regular t.v. every week, and hundreds of thousands of normies watch. Anime posters really need to fuck off, because they don't belong here.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160501-123847.png (592 KB, 1200x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160501-123847.png
592 KB, 1200x1920
Every fucking normie whore out there watches anime these day then we get these fucking faggots acting all smug about anime around here as if they are special. Go fuck yourself fucking weeabos, unless your watching some obscure films that actually require a hint of intellect, you are not a robot.
>>
I wish I still had a screenshot from /g/ of newsgroup post from the 90s complaining that people at some guy's high school were starting ro watch anime
>>
>>28261844
My postgrad is actually researching the mainstream acceptance of anime in the West. It's sad.
>>
Did you know that the air you breathe is also for normies? Better tighten your lips and stop breathing, faggot.
>>
>>28261844
Non-moe anime, sure. Then again they had that battleship anime on Netflix. "Arpeggio of Blue Steel". I think I got cancer from it.

>>28262151
What major?
>>
>>28261844
I'll bite. 4chan is an anime imageboard, not a social reject board, though there is an overlap. Fuck off if you're just going to use this for memes and discussing normalfag bullshit like jobs and girlfriends.
>>
>>28261844
>it comes on regular t.v. every week
>Saturday nights at 11PM is "regular TV"
>>
>>28262236
Mythological studies. I'm looking at representations of Japanese mythology in anime and how it's treated by unfamiliar audiences.
>>
File: 1457208423928.jpg (634 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457208423928.jpg
634 KB, 1280x720
this is good. it means I won't get looked at funny for talking about it with people.
>>
Pro wrestling is one of the last bastions of true nerdy culture because everyone still gives you shit for liking it.
>>
>>28262151
Could you elaborate?
I'm interested.
>>
>>28262276
What's your working methodology? Is it literally binge watching anime or is there some literature to read?

How do you cite an anime episode?
>>
>>28261963
The mere act of watching obscure films doesn't require any intellect
>>
>>28261844
>>28262276

People say normie interest in anime is exaggerated and even if a lot of people watch one or two particular marketed shows, they're not going to go deeper and watch more.
Some people also say it seems like anime is getting a lot of attention nowadays purely because of the experience bias and because it pretty much got 0 attention before.

What can you say about this?
>>
File: 1455359729155.jpg (153 KB, 1000x810) Image search: [Google]
1455359729155.jpg
153 KB, 1000x810
Nice try reddit, but Stacey watching entry level shit for special snowflake points doesn't mean anime is normie territory. Fuck off back to where you came from, anime on 4chan is eternal.
>>
>>28262328
Essentially I'm looking at:

1) the interpretations of traditional Japanese mythology by manga/anime artists and to what extent they keep them traditional and culturally specific, and to what extent they alter their design to fall more in line with universal cognates.

2) The reception of these creations by audiences in the West.

>>28262350

My working methodology is actually questionnaire and forum research based. I'm asking questions about viewing habits as well as looking through fan forums to gain an insight into acceptance. There's a great deal written on mythology, anime art, and the blending of culturally specific and universal cognates, and there's a fair bit written about the research of fan cultures. I'm combining the two.

>>28262383

What I'm finding is that there are two camps. The first of these is those who are obsessed with the cult geography of Japan, watching in order to fulfil a closeness to the country and culture. The other is those who will steer clear of more culturally specific shows such as GeGeGe no Kitaro, but will watch Dragonball Z because there's nothing exclusive about it. Notice that Dragonball was much less popular due to its inclusion of Chinese and Japanese mythology, while Z was basically just dudes fighting, at least on the surface.
>>
>>28262494

> The first of these is those who are obsessed with the cult geography of Japan, watching in order to fulfil a closeness to the country and culture.

So basically weebs.

>The other is those who will steer clear of more culturally specific shows such as GeGeGe no Kitaro, but will watch Dragonball Z because there's nothing exclusive about it.

So basically normie trend-riders.

How many of each? Altogether in the US, let's say, approximately?
>>
I've watched less and less anime throughout my life. Sure, I've seen some good anime, but I don't care much anymore; and a lot of anime is fanservice or moe shit these days.

I'm not whining about the "good ole days" because there has always been dumb shit.
>>
File: 49650089567676.jpg (644 KB, 1029x1200) Image search: [Google]
49650089567676.jpg
644 KB, 1029x1200
I don't care who anime is for.

I just love fapping to big anime tiddies.
>>
>>28262552
I couldn't give you numbers. I have not yet started poring through the forums in order to get an idea. All I can say for sure is that the latter group is considerably bigger than the former.
>>
>>28261844
I dont mind that anime is mainstream, I would like a GF that is into anime
>>
>>28262494
By picking anime forums aren't you picking an audience that is already immersed in the culture and mythology, at least more than the average, and as a result skewing your results? Are you accounting for that in some way? Or are you comparing different communities as well?
>>
>>28261844
Anime is mostly made for niche audiences in Japan, and in the West the anime that could be called mainstream represents just a few shows that appeal to Westerners.

Normies may be crowding around the tip of the iceberg but they don't want to get involved with what's beneath the water. Especially these days when the water's been contaminated by memes about "moeshit" and "haremshit" and "pedobait" and "otaku pandering" and whatever the fuck.
>>
>>28261844
>N-normies watch anime, r-really,fuck off weeaboos
Normie trash like Death Note and SnK don't count.
>>
>>28262634

I'm comparing a number of different forums, mostly relating simply to television consumption and film consumption rather than anime specifically. However, my results will always be skewed by the silent majority of viewers who will not actively participate in discussions. I will be talking to my supervisors about that. However, in fan studies, the active fans are generally the ones of interest.
>>
I don't really know anything on TV (or youtube anymore) that isn't just for normies. I like trailer park boys and while the normie level is low compared to mainstream drama cancer like GoT and walking dead it still has its share
but I hate television now anyway.
>>
File: 1443951859128.jpg (85 KB, 654x720) Image search: [Google]
1443951859128.jpg
85 KB, 654x720
>>28261844
What does an autistic faggot with a strong aversion to all things popular like me turn to now?
Actual mongolian cave painings?
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 500x718) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 500x718
who else here /mangamasterrace/
>>
>>28262676
leave the internet, stop liking everything other than obscure old movies, and just old everything, get on that bandwagon before it becomes mainstream
>>
>>28261844
Anime has been for normalfags for a long time, brother.

I would say when moot founded this site anime was more popular then than it is now. There's a backlash going right now (coming from younger people like you), but back in 2003 -everyone- between the ages of 12 and 24 had some interest in anime, and a lot of people watched pretty much nothing but it.
>>
File: 1456578215401.png (20 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
1456578215401.png
20 KB, 736x547
>>28262720
How old are we talking? I feel like 20th century shit would have already been claimed by old normalfags. At least the ancient mongolians are long gone.
>>
>>28262583
I haven't watched anime in 4 years but I still hit the panda every day
>>
>>28261844
I wish anime was mainstream, where I live even entry level anime is looked down here
>>
>>28262688
I hope you aren't implying manga is more underground or something, because it's even more popular than anime.
>>
>>28262671
>youtube anymore) that isn't just for normies.
this, when did youtube become strictly about vlogs and rants? whatever happened to machinimas? Youtube Poops? Flash cartoons? it's all gone now.
>>
>>28262634
To further this point, I can make use of Television ratings and demographics to get a (very) rough idea of shows and viewerships, as well as looking at search rankings to get an idea of the popularity of unavailable shows. However, I can't get a good idea of the ideas and opinions on the folkloric elements without discussion. I can make a point about passivity and acceptance of folkloric elements being tied to the inclusion of universally acceptable elements (as Susan Napier points out, this is one of the major reasons behind the success of Miyazaki's creatures over Takahata's), but I cannot ask the wider audience for their opinions. I may do some questionnaires for the undergraduate students. I don't yet know.
>>
>>28261844
Last time I checked anime died out around a decade ago and what little airs is gutted to hell and only on in the early morning.

It's one of few "geek" things normies cannot even pretend to stomach, thanks to all the ecchi and moe being made these days.
>>
File: Thesis.jpg (40 KB, 380x236) Image search: [Google]
Thesis.jpg
40 KB, 380x236
In other words, I am cobbling together a bunch of bullshit from other authors with a smidgen of original research which may or may not be accurate. That's humanities for you.
>>
>>28262676

You just submerge yourself a little deeper than usual in your medium and wait for the blizzard to blow over.

Good anime has to be enjoyed in solitude and silence (mostly because a lot of it is quite cringey), or with a very close weeb friend. Normies who watch shows with their chad and stacy friends for a gag can't immerse themselves into a lot of good stuff and so they'll lose interest quickly.

Give it 5 years or so and the general public will forget what the fuck anime is.

I'll be damned if I meet any normie who knows what PapaKiki is.

It's like saying "Art is for normies because normies know who Picasso and da Vinci are". They've never heard of Kramskoi or Vrubel.
>>
>>28262903
Remember to have lots of post-modernism, that's all the rage in anime studies.
>>
>>28262912
No man, I am totally ready to jump ships (not that that would get into mongolia though, no sea access and all).
>>
>>28262980
I figure I should also add a lot of mastubatory aides to illustrate the allure of anime for Westerners.
>>
>>28262903

>that pic

don't forget a bibliography and table of contents, methodology and a description of literature and primary sources.
>>
>>28263047
Come, now. I've been an academic for four years. Only a simpleton would leave out such useless padding.
>>
>>28261844
I thought anime was on the cusp of becoming mainsteam in the early 00s before it all kind of blew up.
>>
>>28262912
You said Good anime but then later mentioned PapaKiki. Unfortunately that meant I had to cease reading further.
>>
>>28262688
Why is it so much more expensive over here than in Japan? It's only about 500 yen over there but $10 or $15 over here. It's not flipped or colored or has anything that would warrant such a drastic increase in price. Do they use the shittiest paper they can find over there?
>>
>>28263253
License costs
>>
>>28262847
YouTube monetization rewards the amount of content you make over what you make, so things that can be churned out by the shipping container (e.g. let's plays, vlogs, and the like) are made more while things that take actual time (e.g. animation and amateur music that isn't rap) gets pushed to the wayside.
>>
>>28263253
You have to factor in shipping costs, translation costs, taxes, etc.
>>
>>28263159

Thankfully I mentioned it at the end, which means you read all the important points anyway.
>>
>>28263331
But my copy of Claymore says it's printed in America.
>>
>>28263399
License costs, translation (if it's not in the original language) difference in taxes all still apply.
>>
>>28263399
Just be thankful we don't pay their DVD prices. DVDs are ridiculously expensive in Japan. When I went out to study there, I had to bring in DVDs from the UK for my (now) ex because it was cheaper than buying them there.
>>
>>28263319
Recently YouTube changed monetization so that you're now paid by view time rather than number of views, which really changed things. Some animator on 4chan was saying his income tanked because his videos are too short to generate much income. I also noticed that one channel I was subscribed to stopped doing real content and just uploaded hours long Twitch streams.
>>
All these faggots saying they're cool with anime being mainstream. OK then, let's agree that anime is normie tier and then just go enjoy it all you want, but stop acting like it makes you special or is somehow better than any other type of media when the same people who watch the big bang theory watch anime.
>>
>>28263548
Watching some anime doesn't mean watching all anime. A lot of Westerners watch stuff like Dragon Ball and Ghibli but start screeching and foaming at the mouth if you so much as mention something like Yuru Yuri.
>>
>>28263782
Can't say I've ever seen "screeching and foaming at the mouth", but the mention of something outside of the more culturally accessible anime/manga canon usually gets a raised eyebrow.
>>
>Music (like music culture) is mainstream normie material now. Hell, it comes on regular radio every week, and hundreds of thousands of normies listen. Music posters really need to fuck off, because they don't belong here.
>Movies (like movie culture) is mainstream normie material now. Hell, it comes on regular t.v. every week, and hundreds of thousands of normies watch. Movie posters really need to fuck off, because they don't belong here.
>Books (like book culture) is mainstream normie material now. Hell, it comes on regular book stores every week, and hundreds of thousands of normies read. Book posters really need to fuck off, because they don't belong here.
This is how retarded you sound OP
>>
>>28263867
4chan and the Western anime community have been in a state of hysteria for years now because of "moeshit" and whatnot. People can have complete meltdowns if they're exposed to it.
>>
>>28263868
You might not realize it, but you're just proving how right OP is.
>>
>>28263939
Oh, you're talking about 4chan? I can totally see that, yeah.
>>
>>28263959
You might not realize it, but you're retarded
>>
Hi Weebos, I want to get into anime. My intellect is average. Obscure is ok. My attention span is not great and is often reduced to shitposting. Post your recommendations for someone just starting out. So far I've got Death Note. Is that one kawai?
>>
>>28264205
The only good anime is Evangelion.
Normie cannot understand it.
>>
File: HamanKarnUC0087.jpg (99 KB, 400x555) Image search: [Google]
HamanKarnUC0087.jpg
99 KB, 400x555
>>28264251
>implying normalfags can ever understand or be into any good mecha anime
I`m so happy,normalfaggots can`t and won`t invade my Gendum.
>>
>>28264251
Thanks, the ratings look good. I'll watch it. You're the best, (^_*)~
>>
>>28264205
>>28264251
>implying
Ghost in the Shell is pretty good
>>
Obsessing over what normies do is more normie than watching anime.
>>
>>28261844
>anime is for normies

till I see fucking chads in a pack do a K-ON! marathon. it will never be a normie thing.
>>
>>28264328
Gundam is normie as fuck
>>
>>28264205
Cowboy Bebop is a pretty standard recommendation. It was many people's first anime and almost everyone likes it.

Haruhi Suzumiya if you want to dive in head first. It's got a lot of elements you'll see all the time in anime.***

Serial Experiments Lain is a cult classic and on the weird, arthouse side of anime.

Madoka Magica has been well received by people who don't normally watch anime, even if it might not appear that way judging by the cover art and premise. The show is not what it seems.

Azumanga Daioh was a blueprint for many similar later shows (comedy about high school girls).

Kanaberi of the Iron Fortress seems like a pretty solid selection too. It's airing currently.

You can rarely go wrong with Studio Ghibli's movies such as Spirited Away and Laputa.

*** You have to watch the episode "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina" first because they kind of fucked up the episode order for the home video releases.

It's really hard to recommend stuff because there's thousands of anime of all kinds for all people.
>>
>>28264205
>K-ON!
>Psycho Pass
>Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
>Bakemonogatari
>Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
>Gunbuster
>Kaiji
>Toradora!
>Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
>Puella Magi Madoka Magica
These are all accessible, popular anime and cover a wide range of genres.
>>28264472
also listen to this guy
>>
>>28264472
Azumanga Daioh anime has aged quite poorly.
>>
>>28264472
>there's thousands of anime of all kinds for all people.
That kind of "diversity" sounds very normie tier to me.
>>
>>28264554
The concept's been done many times since then, and maybe it has been done better, but I think it's still good and suitable for beginners.

>>28264581
It's basically the same thing as movies. Lots of different genres and stories and target audiences. But late night anime isn't really watched by big audiences regardless of what it is.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.