[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why aren't you studying computer science /r9k/? it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10
File: 3.jpg (104 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
104 KB, 1600x600
why aren't you studying computer science /r9k/?

it's literally the most suitable job for robots
>>
>>28261013
>naming a variable "parameters"
Shitting programming style.
>>
>>28261013
I don't like STEM, and I'm not good at that kind of logic. Most CS people are just code monkeys, and I know I do not have the ability to delve further than that.
>>
>>28261013
but i am studying cs
>>
>>28261013
I did, and it's far less comfy as it used to be when I graduated 10 years ago. Bloated with loads of normalfags now and you need connections to get anywhere. Anyone can quickly bullshit that they know how to write code.
>>
>>28261060

> most CS people are just code monkeys

I didn't want to think I was, but I probably am. Thankfully 90% of the time I get to code what I want. Tickets and PMs are for the birds.
>>
>>28261013
I am RIGHT NOW but I don't really want a job in it
>>
>>28261046
It's clearly a class though, not a variable, because the method contains() is being called on it. Moron.
>>
>>28261013
I did, but it was really hard and I didn't like it.

Half of the people there were annoying nerds and most of the other half seemed like douchebags. A few okay people and then like 5 girls

I would rather hang out with okay normies than stupid annoying nerds
>>
>>28261013

I am but most people here are not robots anymore
>>
>>28261233
I don't think so. Pretty sure it's a string variable.
Java's contains String method tells you if a string contains something, in this case age.
>>
File: 1413424719398.jpg (51 KB, 561x373) Image search: [Google]
1413424719398.jpg
51 KB, 561x373
>thought pure science was the ultimate robot field
>find out you have to be a normie to be successful
>three years into my degree and wishing I had gone into CS

Heard it's hard to get a job though
>>
>>28261259

robots != neets.
>>
>>28261292
Guess you won't be able to construct that sex bot afterall.
>>
Senior CS kiddo here.
75% of the people are idiots who are just devaluing the degree. I'm hopeful to ultimately wind up in a researching position
>>
>>28261013
if you're smart and have the ability to study you aren't a real robot
>>
>>28261292

There's no such thing as an 'ultimate robot field'. Even if you're a craftsman living alone in the woods, you'll still need to socialize in order to sell your shit.
>>
File: 4.jpg (144 KB, 764x793) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
144 KB, 764x793
>>28261472
What is a robot supposed to do then
>>
>>28261013
I did but then i dropped out, the math and life was killing me. Maybe i can find a job without a degree.
>>
I fell for the stem meme
now i work a low wage factory job assembling components.
>>
File: 1377041946462.png (8 KB, 318x284) Image search: [Google]
1377041946462.png
8 KB, 318x284
>study compsci
>was a fucking awful student so ended up with a ordinary degree without honours
>two years later and still looking for a programming job

I had an interview for a junior C++ dev role on Friday but after all the other interviews I've had, I doubt I'll get it.
>>
File: 4G8cua5Y_400x400.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
4G8cua5Y_400x400.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>28261380
im a phd student in computer science

and

25 year old kissless virgin

am I still not a robot?
>>
>>28261529
A robot is a simple, mindless machine created for the sole purpose of making the jobs and lives of higher ups and others easier.

A true robot job consists of doing the same, repetitive, simple, PHYSICAL tasks day in and day out.

Working on an assembly line or stocking shelves is the epitome of a robot job.

>>28261472
A true craftsmen wouldn't need to sell his shit. He would just use the tools he makes to hunt and gather his own food and make his own shelter.
>>
>be shut-in hikki as a teen
>play lots of vidya and torrent movies, chat with faggot friends online, barely do anything else though
>learn the basics of computer use, like self-help when shit breaks, pirating shit, minimal customizing of my OS/browser, just shit like that
>built my own computers to save money from like age 14+, bit daunting at first as a kid, but actually really fucking easy
>try using linux for a year or so, but only ever succeed at following installation instructions and using it for basic web browsing, music listening, some minor word editing
>try programming once or twice (perl and C), fucking hate it and give up quickly
>genuinely consider myself bad with computers, a dabbler at best
>get to college
>be humanities pleb
>befriend CS majors
>admire them
>they're learning programming
>they're learning to see their computers as modular customized things instead of input-output prompts like i fundamentally still see mine, no matter how much i customize it
>really respect them
>tfw i find out that the average CS major is way, way shittier than i am with computers
>tfw they brag about using linux when they're even worse at using it than i am
>tfw they're shit at programming and mostly learn babby webdev shit and still barely pass
>tfw i tell them i build my own computers and they fucking freak out, they literally only use laptops or buy off-the-shelf desktops
>tfw they have no inside "feel" for their computers, they're basically like me at 13 except slightly better at some pissant babby-mode language like java
>tfw all respect lost
>tfw CS is a fucking meme major

HOLY SHIT I spent years thinking these people were gritty engineers and it turns out they're retards. They spent half a decade getting this degree and they don't fucking know anything!
>>
>>28261013
i'm already a software engineer.
not a robot, though.
>>
>>28261677
No you're too smart to be a robot. You'd be like a cyborg or AI.

Robots are dumb and only useful for simple tasks.
>>
>>28261681
that's because you went to a shitty college where your peers reflect yourself

also
>being proud of building your own computer

any retard can do this
>>
>>28261738
Just checked QS Rankings for 2016. My university's CS ranking is 16th best in the world.

Do you need to be top 10 to not be a total fucking retard?
>>
>>28261681
building a computer has nothing to do with computer science retard.
>>
>>28261013
>computer science
>science

where's the science in using office m8?
>>
I regret
ever fucking going to university
waste of time
>>
>>28261681

All jobs are like this. Unless you're in the top 10% of your field, you're probably doing babby-tier grunt work.
>>
>>28261770
>I study computers for a living and don't know how to change my graphics card.

I'm sure your parents have high hopes for your future as an unemployed code monkey.

Remember me when you're trying to bill yourself as a "consultant" on Linkedin, in two years.
>>
>>28261795
but no one teaches you in computer science how to change the graphics card
>>
>>28261738
Yep.

Built my own PC when I was 13.
>>
>>28261760
Top 10 overall rankings

using CS rankings is fucking stupid because it reflects the grad school not the undergrad.

The only time this is acceptable is if you go to CMU where their overall ranking is like 20 but they're one of the top three schools at CS
>>
>>28261738
>any retard can do this
what if he built it from scratch?
as in from an FPGA board.
>>
is it hard to get a CS job? I've been told it's easy but people itt are saying it's hard. Easily getting a job is one of the reasons why I considered doing CS.
>>
>>28261848
>I've been told it's easy b
its a myth perpetuated by tech companies to saturate the market with tech workers so they can pay them less.
>>
>>28261848
Depends on where you're trying to work at. If you're actually trying to work at some sort of tech company it can be hard.

Look for some IT jobs for like small banks and other small businesses
>>
>>28261779

In academia it's basically applied mathematics (algorithm analysis, design theory, etc). In normie world there's no science beyond basic algebra.
>>
Organic chemistry is the true robot field
nothing beats standing in the lab for ten hours a day smelling those wonderful, wonderful organic solvents
>>
>>28261848
If you have experience it's fucking easy as hell. You don't even need a degree. Without any experience you are basically fucked though, unless you can out compete all the other hyper autistic CS nerds during coding interviews.
>>
>>28261795
>implying IT consultants don't make big bucks
>>
>>28261738
The PC I'm using now has non-functioning front panel headphone plugs.

I'm literally a retard.

>>28261760
Menial jobs like changing parts around aren't really what a computer scientist/engineer will focus on. That said, really? It takes you 10 minutes to learn. Take a weekend and dismantle your pc sometime. Just don't touch the heat sink and make sure to discharge your computer before playing with it.
>>
>>28261896
I got in through blackmail
>>
>>28261848

It's easier than most other fields, but will still take a while. It's not like someone's going to be "oh shit this guy knows his BST's, start him tomorrow!".
>>
>>28261848
If you know what you are doing and have done internships and have your own portfolio to show for it, or at least have a good GPA, then you will probably be fine.

If not, you're most likely fucked, as demand for programmers is going down. The SV bubble is going to pop any day; mass layoffs are already starting: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2016/01/22/emc-vmware-ibm-etc-here-come-333000-layoffs-in-tech-opines-global-equities/
>>
>>28261905
>Menial jobs like changing parts around aren't really what a computer scientist/engineer will focus on.
No put it is the kind of a job the some of the graduates in that field will find themselves in.
>>
>>28261905
The point of the post was that I *can* do simple things that a "computer scientist" can't, and you reply "Jeez, it's simple to learn! Just do it for ten minutes some time!"

I am starting to seriously like this major is for actual retarded people. You can't even fucking read.
>>
>>28261677
>im a phd student in computer science
>falling for the phd meme
Yea your stupid, dont worry robot.
>>
>>28261233
its either an object or a static class

naming an object something like parameters isnt that stupid if thats what it is.

if its a static class its pretty stupid because its lowercase p. and classes should be capitalized.
>>
>>28261960
Not him, but people don't really care about those simple things, because there are much more interesting things to study and do, and building a PC is really boring and repetitive..

I put my own computer together, not because I enjoyed it, but to save money on parts, and have more durable equipment. I would much rather be programming or learning than fiddling with hardware and cables.

I imagine that people who have enough money to buy a really good prebuilt would literally not give a fuck about putting a PC together, as there are FAR more interesting things to do.
>>
>>28262050
>save money on parts,
do you actually save money on parts?
>>
>>28261288
>>28261233
When you declare a variable, in this case parameters, it has a class (or one is inferred if your language isn't strongly typed).
Parameters is a variable of the class string, with the contains method being called on it. Contains is a method in the string class.
>>
>>28262050
I have the money, the reason I build my own is if one components is DEA or otherwise fails somewhere down the line I dont have to send the whole freaking thing back.
>>
>>28262103
I waited for some good deals and rebates to come around.

A prebuilt PC with similar specs would have easily cost me double.
>>
>>28262155
really
i always thought they could offer prebuilt cheaper since they could buy their parts in bulk and or negotiate discounts with hardware suppliers.
>>
>>28261899
>implying that it is still the 1990s

A highschool nerd can do most IT work these days.
>>
>>28261848
It's easy to get a shitty code monkey job where you get paid the same as you would in retail. Higher tier than that and you'll at least need a good portfolio along with your degree and preferably experience.
>>
>>28262183

That doesn't mean they can do it well. The shittiest part of my day is when recent grads come in and can't do completely basic tasks like check server space or stop/start services.

One guy had gone through half-a-dozen cert programs but would still forget shit and cause outages regularly.
>>
>>28262198
Code monkeys get paid around 40k/year where I live (Seattle.) That's way more than what you would get paid working in retail.
>>
>>28262179
Yeah, it is weird.

Manufacturers buy shitty, cheap parts and get big discounts on them, but still sell really expensive computers.

For example, look at alienware's desktop computers, and then go to newegg and total up what similar parts would cost. The individual parts will usually turn out to be a lot cheaper, and be better built. It's crazy.
>>
>>28262229
I'm currently code-monkeying for less than I got paid in retail (U.K., 7.71/hr) while I finish up my degree, but I have something else lined up for afterwards.
I started out on minimum wage.
I realise my boss is taking us for a ride but at least it's experience and a bit of extra cash.
>>
>>28262324
>U.K.
ah
thats probably it
>>
>>28262355
Probably, I'm not in a very techy area. People I know who are graduating are moving into 18-20k jobs in more developed areas which for a starting salary is breddy gud given most of them are under 21 and have never had a job.
>>
>>28262355
theres a reason the term neet was coined in the UK
>>
Because I'm actually really thick, <100 iq.
I spent my entire time at school pretending to do work - failing
In my current job I spend most of it pretending to work and just about avoid not getting fired during every review by being a great bullshitter. My days are obviously numbered though.
>>
>>28262632
Eggman is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xLgPTEXL-Y
>>
>>28261013
We live in the era of H1Bs and outsourcing. Anything a CS autist can do, Pajeet and Chang can do cheaper. This is also ignoring the fact that most jobs (particularly stuff with computers) will likely be automated in 20-30 years, and then even Pajeet and Chang will be out of a job.
>>
>>28262229
I thought software engineers got paid approx ~100k starting in Seattle

What is a code monkey job? Just pushing out shitty spaghetti code?
>>
>really into retro gaming
>going to study comp sci because of talent with computers
>planned on just getting a normal code monkey job after college
>everyone keeps telling me "No anon, you love games! You should be a game designer!"

My mind says no but my heart says yes. Is there a market for 16-bit style games nowadays? I don't follow the modern gaming scene.
>>
>>28262792
It's like the fast-food of computing, just mindlessly producing code based on a spec you've been given day in day out. It removes pretty much all the thinking parts.
>>
>>28262723
I never thought to claim pretend autismbux when I was a NEET. Again, a real thicko.

>>28262829
I see that shit raved about on steam.

below is currently top 10 PC 2016 on metacritic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9YsuJMsDg

Risk of Rain, Dungeon of the Endless, Hotline Miami and a few others come to mind.
>>
I finished se. Working as PHP monkey in third world for 700 euros per month. Eventually will either move somewhere else or start freelancing.. I have some offers. I do many things and its hard technical job... Git, PHP frameworks, jQuery, ssh, front end. I am well respected and ppl are scared that ill leave which I will
>>
>>28262829
Programming does not equal game design, that's a whole different area really. Assuming you haven't already, you'd need to learn about game design theories to make sure you can balance well and stuff.
The indie market is saturated with that style of game at the moment, but if you make something really special there's no reason you couldn't have a success story.
Maybe try applying for some entry-level programming stuff at an existing company if you want to code games, do your own thing in your spare time.
>>
>>28262917
That's pretty cool. I'd like my games to look more genuinely retro though; I'd incorporate the color and resolution limits that there used to be with older consoles instead of making HD masterpieces that also are made out of pixels. I'm trying to catch the original charm instead of making a tribute.

>>28262977
Programming skill does equal ability to make a game without limitations though. I think with the amount of time I've spent playing, reading about, and discussing video game I've picked up on some techniques. But then again I also may only think I'm talented because of how ignorant I am on the subject.
>>
>>28263204
>Programming skill does equal ability to make a game without limitations though.
anon, Im not a game designing or program but I am an engineer and we have a saying
"don't reinvent the wheel"
>>
>>28262829
> meme degree for a saturated field

You don't need to have a game degree to make games. On the other hand, with a meme game degree you aren't getting any jobs.

Get a normal degree that has actual job possibilities, and do games in your free time.
>>
>>28263293
>do games in your free time.
not him but that was plan until I found out that worked drain all energy from me to do so.
>>
>>28263343
>until I found out that worked drain all energy from me to do so.
Welcome to the wagecuck's trap :^(
>>
>>28262829
download unity or gamemaker and program games
>>
>>28263343

Then get a better job, or save like Money Mustache until you can retire.

Here's how meme degree would go out
> no jobs
> savings enough for three months
> cool, I'mma build my game
> first month nice progress
> stalls
> creator's block for two months
> out of money, have to move back in with parents
> "mom, I'm pursuing my dream"
>>
>>28263416
>download unity or gamemaker
well
which one is better?
>>
>>28261013
I am studying it right now
I fucking hate it
Chemistry is the true robot job
>>
File: ENOUGH.jpg (115 KB, 679x631) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.jpg
115 KB, 679x631
>>28261013
because I struggle with math beyond quadratic equations, that's why
>>
>>28263204
a game is easy to program but hard to make feel good. im very good at coding but have yet to make an actual fun game.
>>
File: image.png (257 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
257 KB, 750x1334
>fell for the stem meme
>had to drop out because I had trouble giving presentations
>think about suicide all day
Going to college fuck me up. I realized how much of a loser I was. I just need to find the strength to kill myself.
>>
File: 1447566674216.png (171 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1447566674216.png
171 KB, 374x347
>>28263524
>want to get into programming
>can't ever stay focused enough to actually learn how to do it
>
>>
>>28263606
Sorry I did not mean to quote >>28263524 in my post.
>>
>>28262134
what means it not a class its an object of a class, thats a clear difference.
in this case it looks like a string.
>>
Because I'm lazy and probably have ADD and stupid. I'll probably have to settle for a trade job or be like that one cool anon and clean up society's shitwater at the water treatment facility. I just want to move out of my parents' house and have nice things.....
>>
>>28261681
>tfw i tell them i build my own computers and they fucking freak out, they literally only use laptops or buy off-the-shelf desktops
fucking kill yourself retard.
even outside of cs even the shitfucking dumbest people i know can build their pc from components you fucking downsyndrome retard. alone for mention that you build you pc from components you would be branded as retard here, because of your underskill.
>>
>>28261779
>using office
its ok if you like writing you programms and circuits in office, but it doesnt change the fact that it is retarded and so are you.
>>
>>28263445
>unity
Unity x1000
>>
>>28264013
i draw the flow charts for my programs in visio,
thats a microsoft product.
>>
>>28263293
I already said I'm going for a normal comp sci degree, as I planned on just getting whatever job I could find after college. Thankfully I actually enjoy coding (even of the banal shit I did in my AP Comp Sci class), so if the games thing never comes to fruition (it likely won't) I would still be happy with my second option.

>>28263416
I started making a game with some friends using GameMaker, but it kind of fell apart after everyone quit. The game was kind of like a Metroid crossed with an ARPG; I had the running, shooting, and damage mechanics all written before it kind of fell apart. I plan on checking out Unity during my free time this summer though, possibly trying to reboot this idea.

I'm also currently making a game with RPG Maker 2 for the Super Famicom, but it's pretty shitty since I'm not good at writing fantasy stuff

>>28263512
I was actually pretty excited about my previous project; I had tons of cool stuff planned to implement. It may have ended up being pretty cool had I taken it further.
>>
>>28264265
flow charts of statistics of you programms or do your programm creates
flowcharts with an interface?
>>
File: umformung.png (60 KB, 1075x236) Image search: [Google]
umformung.png
60 KB, 1075x236
>>28263466
>ggle with math bey
what
>>
>>28261292
If I wasn't a highschool dropout I'd be majoring in math.
True robot degree
>>
>>28262229
I'd hate myself if I ended up as a codemonkey though.
I could live in mediocrity all my life but I'd rather git gud.
I don't have the attention span to build a project though so I'm considering securiity instead
>>
>>28263445
unity
commentarissimo originalissimo
>>
>that OP pic

I have cancer now

please don't post this retarded Photoshop to try and make what I do look "cool" or whatever
>>
>>28261013
CS is a hobby-tier field desu
>>
File: comfy pay pay.png (302 KB, 828x1403) Image search: [Google]
comfy pay pay.png
302 KB, 828x1403
>>28262749
I can't wait.
I got a law degree, but 90% of my job is figuring out how to query databases to solve abstract problems. Shit is gay and pointless.
>>
>>28261013
>fell for CS meme and switched from business to CS
>1st and 2nd year barely passed with C-'s
>3rd year discovered adderall
>Scheduled Dr appt.
>Studied on how to act retarded
>Prescribed max dosage.sh
>Fast forward 2 years.
>Software Applications Engineer at fortune 100 company.
>No longer take adderall.
>TFW adderall is CS
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.