[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm only two semesters in, and I can't stand college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1401591681444.png (220 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
1401591681444.png
220 KB, 400x384
I'm only two semesters in, and I can't stand college anymore. Is it possible to succeed without college? I just want to have my own place, be it a house or an apartment, and be able to pay for food, water, electricity, transportation, etc.

Is it possible to live the American dream as a wagecuck?

>inb4 just be a NEET
I could never live with myself if I mooched off my parents forever. I want to be on my own feet by the time I'm thirty.
>>
>>28248372
>Is it possible to succeed without college?
Depends on what you want to succeed in.
>>
research a trade my nigga
>>
Can you mooch of your parents to the tune of a couple thousand dollars? You could create and market some shitty scammish product.
Without education you gotta make your own fortune.
>>
Depends on the person. Take someone that got a degree but still rides the bus compared to a multimillionaire who dropped out of College and vice versa.
Honestly if you're not feeling college you should drop out now and save the money and figure out what it is that YOU really want to do with your life, success is about determination and what you're willing to do/give up to make it happen, not some expensive piece of paper
>>
>>28248396
>Depends on what you want to succeed in.
I literally just want to have my own place and a car. That is literally it. I don't understand why people assume I want to be a CEO or a rock star or someshit.

>>28248432
Like what? Something I wouldn't have to go to school for?
>>
If you're not having fun there you shouldn't be there, biggest reason to go to college really is for the social experience, if you're getting deprived of that either try to change the situation or leave
>>
>>28249348

Electrician, plumber, carpenter to name a few. Automechanics is another one. Just pick one you connect with this most while researching and see yourself doing for the next 30 years or so. They have vocational Scholls also.

My Dad is a electrician and he makes bank. You can definitely retire on their pay with a pension. Personally I'd pick a career as a carpenter because it's not so extremely dangerous as an electrician and it would be cool to build shit
>>
I'm going to assume you're single, so I'll teach you how to be a cheap ass single loser who can be frugal.

Whatever job you get, make sure that it's at least full time, 15-17 dollars an hour, MINIMUM. If it's less then that, then you need to start filling out applications and dropping them off in person, if possible, on your days off. Constantly look for something better, if you don't ask, you don't receive. Even if your comfortable, write the occasional application and poke around. Gather work experience, 4 years working is almost always better than a bachelor's degree with no experience, but together with a good interview can get you places. Work a shit job for at least 5 years for the resume and LEAVE ON GOOD TERMS so they can be a good reference. Also, when you're working, BUST YOUR ASS. Work ethic is, for most professions, even more important than your actual performance.

Once you get a sizeable income, focus super hard on your expenditures and cut shit. Don't buy nonessentials, cut fastfood, learn to cook, or at least microwave cheap shit, and drive as little as possible. Bike, walk, w/e, just don't drive. Driving doesn't just consume gas, also wears down the car. Run AC at a moderate temperature, good rule is to keep it at a temperature you can barely stand. Your goal is to be able to earn more than you spend, at least a few hundred bucks every month.

You will need to put away around 45-50% of your monthly income (after taxes) towards bills, 15% essentials (food, gas), 5% emergency funds (medical, car, house), and 5% personal enjoyment (games, movies, junk food). Doing this will leave you with a surplus of approximately 25% of your income that you can invest in a Roth IRA.

My next section will be about boring economics stuff. If you don't want to be broke at 65, I suggest you at least try to read it, it isn't as hard as you'd think.
>>
>>28249624
Alright, cut out the technical crap, try to keep it simple.

The goal is to invest your 25%, be it 500 bucks or 1,200, on what is called an "Index Fund."
I could explain what an index fund exactly is, but that's boring. For supplement to this topic, go to youtube and watch a video by WoodysGamerTag called "How to be a millionaire in 22 years", he'll give you the specifics.

By investing your money in these index funds, which use compound interest and reinvest the money you earn back into the fund, you will see your investment slowly, but surely rise. This isn't fast. This isn't fun. This is boring. But it's fucking safe. Don't fuck with stocks. Don't bother with bonds. Don't let your money sit in a shitty .1% APR savings account with a big bank, slowly invest it, and in around 12-15 years, depending on what you put in, you'll start to see the fund grow on its own merit, essentially securing your retirement.

Besides other money saving techniques, last thing I'd tell you to do is to change your mentality towards being as pessimistic and frugal as possible. Don't lend money to people if you aren't comfortable losing all of it. Don't listen to friend's opinionated advice on what to invest in. Work for yourself, and your family if you do have one. Don't settle for any bitch who doesn't respect you and your frugal style. Women will bleed you dry through alimony and child support.

Best of luck to you.
>>
>>28249911
Some final notes.

If you aren't either socially growing by learning how to interact with people, and making future business connections, or busting your ass learning some specific thing that will be important to your financial future, then drop out of college IMMEDIATELY. You are wasting your time, money, and youth, just to go into debt over such a thing.

You aren't a machine, it's ok to fuck up every now and again, just make sure to get back on your foot and keep moving. Don't stress over shit that won't matter in a few months.

Don't waste money on expensive hobbies, be it weed or magic the gathering, you can usually get other forms of entertainment for fractions of the price.

Even if you aren't this outgoing, hard working, extroverted Chad that you think you need to be to succeed, you don't have to be, you just have to pretend. Lie, pretend, and fake it until it comes natural. Only be honest and truthful when it's more beneficial than lying, or if it'll make subsequent lying easier.
>>
>>28249398
I thought it was to secure a career. I mean, I'm at a commuter school. There are no social experiences here.

>>28249624
>>28249911
>>28250054
Thanks, man!
>>
>>28249348
I'm in your position except I do want to be a rock star.
>>
>>28249348
become an apprentice at a job like locksmith (works with locks or security systems, can pick locks), electrician or plumber or something. Possibly become a manager at a fast food place but then you have to talk to people. Also consider working a night job.
>>
>>28250362
you're posting on /r9k/ at 12:15 PST you're not going to become a rockstar.
>>
File: smugwojak4v2.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
smugwojak4v2.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>28248372
This >inb4 line is the best part of your post.
>>
OP again. I just had a wild idea. What if I got SSI, like Chris-Chan, and supplemented it by working at McDonald's? I could make $1800 per month, assuming I get the $800 per month from the government that CWC gets, plus at least 20 hours of work per week. I have both autism and poor fine motor skills, so I am legitimately disabled.
>>
>>28248372
Yes. You should do blue collar work. Post college are for people who have an interest in what they do.
>>
File: 1457564826746.png (817 KB, 546x546) Image search: [Google]
1457564826746.png
817 KB, 546x546
>>28248372
I with you too anon

Im just doing criminology to work as a investors/detective.

To be honest I was considering going to a trade school where youre always needed for a job
>>
>>28248372
Going to college is an investment towards your future. Getting a degree in something practical can help you get a well paying job.
>>
>>28251432
You don't even need that. You can do work over the internet and top that. Try a search engine evaluator job.
>>
Why don't you guys just go off the grid? I have a creek right by my trailer that I use for everything water related. I get electricity from a generator I turn on for a few hours in the evenings. I love my life. No wage shit, no banks trying to fuck my ass because my 82 acres of land is paid off, grow my own food, hunt deer and let them reproduce. I feel like a God and I've never been happier. I get my internet from a phone line the telephone cooperative put in for me.

I'm in Kentucky if it matters where you do it at.
>>
Is trying to get an apprenticeship with a local union the best way to get into electrician work? I don't have any work experience, skills, or a degree or anything and they mentioned they look at work history and interview you so I'm thinking it's a long shot. The worst they can say is no so I'll try anyway, but is there a better way?
>>
>>28252389
in order to do that he'd have to get a job first.
>>
>>28252389
>>28252454
in reference to having land paid off, I mean
>>
>>28252454
My family has owned this land since the late 1700s. I never needed a job to pay off anything other than internet and other goodies, and I get that from NEETbux and at the gas station. I tell the Social Security office that I have autism and I pretend to be docile and introverted and get 350 dollars a month.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.