[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anybody here ever though of buying land in the mountains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 21254124124.jpg (379 KB, 1201x906) Image search: [Google]
21254124124.jpg
379 KB, 1201x906
Has anybody here ever though of buying land in the mountains and never talking to people again.
>>
>>28248166
Yes, I've thought about it but not seriously. The thing that would really get me is no internet for media or a continuous supply of books. That is if I survive the first winter.
>>
>>28248166
Every single day

My personal dream and the sole reason I'm wageslaving at this point(besides surviving) is to buy a nice amount of land miles from anyone else, build myself a self-sufficient cabin complete with solar/wind/hydroelectric if I'm near running water, and spend the rest of my days hunting for survival while growing some vegetables and weed

>>28248216
Winter isn't that impossible to survive if you know what you're doing
>>
>>28248302
they should just restart the homestead act
>>
File: federal_lands.jpg (631 KB, 1938x1592) Image search: [Google]
federal_lands.jpg
631 KB, 1938x1592
>>28248362
forgot my pic 1111
>>
Yall can talk about this, but it's very difficult to do without a basic knowledge of survival, bushcraft, agriculture, etc.

>Live in temperate regions

Good luck with winter and finding food.

>Living in tropical region

Good luck with disease and toxins at every turn.

>Only or mostly eating animals

Good luck with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

And RIP to your health.

Move to the American midwest or the more fertile parts of the Australian outback and try to set up a small but diverse farm; that's your best shot IMO.

You definitely can't pull it off without a good amount of knowledge.
>>
>>28248398
once you understand the main principles behind it, it's not remotely difficult
if frontiersmen with limited scientific knowledge and the lack of an ability to read can do it, then anyone here could easily acquire the skillset to do so.
>>
I'd love to live in a remote cabin with plenty of land and just go into town once a month to buy food and other necessities in bulk, but the lack of Internet would kill me. That's a sacrifice I'm not willing to make.
>>
>>28248588
t. christopher mccandless
>>
>>28248588
You don't need to be literate to survive in the wilderness. You need to know how to construct basic structures, make a fire, navigate, procure food, and farm, among other things. Those pioneers clearly had at least some of those abilities. The "pioneers" of today will have spent more time indoors than out; that doesn't prepare you for shit.
>>
I have land in the mountains. It's not possible to live the hermit life anymore.

Every piece of land is owned. You can't just wander off and hunt for food on a whim. There are a million licenses, property rights and permits to consider.

There is not enough wild land to support a heard you can live off of. If it's wild land you can't hunt there. If there's no wild land it's owned by some fucking rancher.
If you say fuck the rules and go off the grid the feds will take time out of their day to fuck you.

But most of all, there are people fucking everywhere. There is no such thing as the middle of nowhere anymore. Unless you move to Alaska you are going to have neighbors. And if you do move to alaska you are going to fucking die because you won't make it through the winter on your own. You need supplies.
>>
It's all I think about.
>>
We're gonna have satellite/long range internet at a decent speed within 20 years.
I plan on buying cheap land in the bush and doing this with my inheritance. I might section off some land and let rats roam free for meat, because they will basically raise themselves.
>>
File: wttw_1338852610.jpg (109 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
wttw_1338852610.jpg
109 KB, 800x400
>ywn do something like this man because you're a useless human being
>>
I will just leave this here.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit
>>
>>28249121
we had a guy like him in utah too.
The feds chased him down with a helicopter and had a shoot-out in the woods with him.

This is how much they fucking care that you live an acceptable life and pay taxes. If you try to check out and make it on your own terms they will spend millions of dollars to fucking kill you.
>>
>>28248166
I hate being alone to be honest.
>>
>>28248727
I'm >>28248302 and I've worked on a farm doing all this shit since I was a kid
it's not even as remotely fucking hard as you make it out to be
>>
>>28248166
I've actually done this

Still you can't get away from rates / land taxes and honestly unless you get extremely fertile land (which tends not to be high altitude land and tends to be very expensive) there's no way you're going to be able to make enough food to support yourself. You still need to go shopping and buy supplies.

This was my experience. It's basically a lot more work for the same product as living closer to town.
>>
>>28249179
>>28249121
Do it anyway, these normies get so pissed off that you're not living life the way they want you to live that they pay people MILLIONS to come and kill you.
Robots get what they want.

>piss off and fuck over normies
>life in a comfy cabin or whatever
>a swift death when they want it
>>
>>28248166

Yep, the only problem is I can't afford it
>>
>>28249667
some states(typically the old frontier ones) have provisions in them for people who do this sort of thing
there's still people around whose family has lived alone in a cabin somewhere for several generations, whether people realize it or not
taxes for these people aren't shit, hunting licenses aren't required, etc etc. I know in my state you can pretty much kill as many fucking deer as you want in any season if that's your main method of putting food on the table
my state hasn't been a frontier state for more than 200 years
>>
>>28248166
every fucking day.
i'd talk to other mountain people though.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.