[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he right? Must we embrace self destruction as a means of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Tyler-durden-1.jpg (42 KB, 712x422) Image search: [Google]
Tyler-durden-1.jpg
42 KB, 712x422
Was he right? Must we embrace self destruction as a means of improving ourselves at a meaningful level?
>>
Only if you follow it up with something constructive. Otherwise you're just wallowing in your own shit, like any other robot.
>>
>>28246848
>being this beta that you fall in love with a male character

Kill yourself
>>
non sequitur

That doesn't stop edgy kids from treating it like gospel.
>>
>>28246848
That movie fucking sucked
>>
>>28246848
Stfu you're so boring it hurts
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 243x181) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 243x181
>>28246848
Who the fuck makes a thread this gay, just leave buddy lol.
>>
File: aquilo.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
aquilo.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
yes, he was
end of thread
bye lads
>>
>>28246848

Yes everyone here doesn't understand because they never have.

Creation and Destruction of self, this is why people love shrooms so much because of ego dilution.

To put it in the most simple terms, if you don't like who you are, destroy it because by doing that you show you have control over something when you don't have control over anything.

Homeless neet to everything you wish you were.

Believe me nothing gets better if you don't destory anything. No i don't mean breaking random shit don't be stupid.
>>
>>28248233
Lol just stfu nerd.
>>
>>28248561

Keep thinking that way. Excuse me while i enojy my happiness.

OP you will always have people looking down on you, you could CHAD with a stacy and people will still look down on you.

People watch that movie in hopes of learning something from Tyler, but the people you should be learning from is Marla. She is the key to everything.

Seriously, "let the chips fall where they may." do you even know what that means? This movie is beyond most robots but i'm glad you see it.
>>
>>28248561
Get the fuck out you disgusting normie

>>28248233
This
Humans weren't created for living in peace. Destructive desires are deep within every human being.
When someone feel down while walking down the stairs, do you remember what all the normies did? They laughed at him
>>
File: 1457218036961.jpg (14 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1457218036961.jpg
14 KB, 300x250
>>28248717
>Excuse me while i enojy my happiness.

Keep telling yourself that you pathetic shit
>>
File: 1459046319886.jpg (13 KB, 249x244) Image search: [Google]
1459046319886.jpg
13 KB, 249x244
>>28248233
Wise, if an aspect of yourself or your life is interfering with your emotional health the best course of action is probably to make a change. Doing the same thing with the expectation of a different result is the definition of stupidity, isn't it? It seems like the best means to the happiness end. If only I took my own advice, there's a big void where I know the best course of action but I'm unwilling scared to budge. It's my fault and my responsibility, my skin at stake. The thing that bothers me is the damage it does to those who care about you, watching you struggle when they'd like nothing more than to see you as happy as possible.

hmm
>>
>>28248795

I do, because I can. I worked from where you were even worse to where i am now YOUR FUCKIN GOD DAMN RIGHT ILL KEEP TELLING MYSELF THAT.

Homeless and broke to everything YOU want.

My names at the top im sure you could find me and you'll be able to see just how happy i am :)
>>
>>28248917

What aspect? Seriously I'm interested I thrive on problem solving. Shall we try? I'm a really good listener :)
>>
>>28248744

We really weren't and it's scary, humans have desires and room for ambition. We kill for what we want if we don't have it. We do this because we have to survive if you have a piece of bread and i'm hungry, you better believe i'm plotting to take that from you instead of making it myself.
>>
Nah.

The narrator experiences insomnia and imagines his zero-sleep-idea of what he'd like to be. It ends up just being some repressed anger. Tyler was angry at society. Eventually he figures out that being destructive isn't fulfilling and he finds himself in an even worse place than he started, so he turns his anger (destruction) to himself, shoots himself and gets rid of Tyler.

There's also the theme of desensitization and disillusion, which Marla helps illustrate. Harsh realities, social norms, all that. The narrator sleeps and starts to feel better when he meets others suffering from depression. Tyler only shows up and takes form after Marla shows him the self-serving sides of humanity again.

If you think the movie was about fight club or fighting society, you're falling for the same shit the narrator was -- blaming society for your lack of fulfillment.
>>
>>28249501

>
If you think the movie was about fight club or fighting society, you're falling for the same shit the narrator was -- blaming society for your lack of fulfillment.

Only agree with that last part but you know, people see art differ, of course they see movies differ.
>>
>>28246848

I wouldn't characterize Fight Club as an argument for self-destruction. Deconstruction would probably be a better word. The whole point of the movie was to get to pull away the social constructions that make you unhappy.

With that being said, yeah, Fight Club was right. There is no such thing as universal truth, yet we act like our culture is right when it tells us what criteria defines what makes our lives meaningful.
>>
never watched fight club, but i've always held the opinions and acceptance of others lower than the trash i step on. if you don't like something, don't do it. making other people feel comfortable around you won't make your life better in any way. if you feel the urge to do something, just do it. instead of taking shia labeoufs advice to mean that we should step outside our comfort zone and put ourselves out, take it to mean that if we want to do something, just do it and don't let the opinions of others make you hesitate.
>>
>>28246848
>Was he right?
No, he was a split personality trying to take control of the narrator's body and take control of other people. The narrator destroying himself only serves his own interest. You're not supposed to listen to the bad guy, anon.
>>
>>28249501
Interesting insight into the characters' minds. I have watched the movie a few times and read the book twice, and even though I always manage to see the underlying tendencies in anything I read and watch, I must admit that the perspective you brought is something new for me. Also, something I always thought of the relationship between Tyler and Jack is how, in the end, they "merged" into a single personality, as if the whole movie portrayed a synthesis that happens to end his personal duality of mind, and to pull any and every curtain he had in his own mind. Additionally, to answer what was asked in the OP, In that sense I do think that embracing self-destruction can improve oneself at a meaningful level.
>>
File: nihilism.gif (92 KB, 576x747) Image search: [Google]
nihilism.gif
92 KB, 576x747
Self-destruction only goes as far as destroying your petty foibles and the source of your anxieties so you can focus on more important things. Pure hedonists do the opposite, they constantly seek comfort and distractions because they are afraid of doing anything else. They make the excuse that they have "let go" but really they have only let go of what is important so they can cling more tightly to their feels.

Even an edgy movie like Fight Club admits that "we were told we were going to be rock stars". The truth is if you want to accomplish anything in life you have to be a good boy, do your homework, clean your room, straighten your tie and eat your vegetables. Even hedonistic rock stars had to practice to the point where the songs lost their luster, take criticism, humiliate themselves in front of "suits" over and over, play in high schools for free and live in a van, they embraced moderation and asceticism at one point.

The point is that you work for yourself (or someone who deserves it), this is not the establishment fooling you into being a good tool, this is you controlling yourself.
>>
>>28250806
Most of it was from the Fincher (the author). A big part of the movie was his relationship with Marla.
>The narrator seeks intimacy, but he avoids it with Marla Singer, seeing too much of himself in her. While Marla is a seductive and negativist prospect for the narrator, he instead embraces the novelty and excitement that comes with befriending Tyler Durden. The narrator is comfortable being personally connected to Tyler Durden, but he becomes jealous when Tyler becomes sexually involved with Marla. When the narrator argues with Tyler about their friendship, Tyler tells him that being friends is secondary to pursuing the philosophy they have been exploring. Tyler also suggests doing something about Marla, implying that she is a risk to be removed. When Tyler says this, the narrator realizes that his desires should have been focused on Marla and begins to diverge from Tyler's path.[10]
See? He couldn't be in a healthy relationship AND become his ideal of a man. The movie really was about him finding fulfillment. Here's another:
>"a guy who does not have a world of possibilities in front of him, he has no possibilities, he literally cannot imagine a way to change his life." He is confused and enraged, so he responds to his environment by creating Tyler Durden, a hyper-masculine male, in his mind. While Tyler is who the narrator would want to be, he is not empathetic and does not help the narrator face decisions in his life "that are complicated and have moral and ethical implications". Fincher explained, "[Tyler] can deal with the concepts of our lives in an idealistic fashion, but it doesn't have anything to do with the compromises of real life as modern man knows it. Which is: You're not really necessary to a lot of what's going on. It's built, it just needs to run now."[5]
He tries to find fulfillment in an ideology but finds he's still left empty and actually in a worse spot than before, as he's neglected every other facet of life on his journey.
>>
>>28250986
Pretty interesting, although David Fincher is the director. The author of the book is Chuck Palahniuk. By the way, it might be in your interest to know that he is working on a sequel. I'm not sure if I liked the idea, but I'm pretty interested in seeing what will happen. If I'm not mistaken, it will be released in comic book format and will be about Jack's life with Marla after the events of the book/movie. According to what I had read a few weeks ago, in the story they will be married and unhappy, and Jack will stop taking some pills he started taking to control what was left of his mind.
>>
>>28251116
Should be good. Thanks for the info and corrections breh.
>>
>>28251133
Well, let me some more corrections then. There actually has been a sequel released in comic book format, entitled Fight Club 2. Also, it was stated that Fight Club 3 is in the works, to be released in comic books as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club_2
>>
>>28251184
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club_2
>Sebastian arrives at his childhood home, which has been converted into a recruitment center for Tyler's new group: Project Chaos. After a speech from the head of the recruitment center about how men have lost all of their role models, due to feminism making it impossible for men to hold positions of power without being falsely accused by vindictive women, Tyler appears and announces his overall plan that he has been working on since the ending of the first book. Tyler plans on the systematic overthrow of all world governments, through Sebastian's son; who he plans on training and modeling into a leader akin to Alexander the great. Sebastian refuses but can not stop Tyler from seizing control over his body.
Sounds like Sebastian is reddit and Tyler is /pol/ lmao
>>
>>28251230
>Sounds like Sebastian is reddit and Tyler is /pol/ lmao
I think you may be onto something big here.
>>
>>28251271
Marla and her growing army of child soldiers track her son to a mountain stronghold and lay siege. Tyler takes Sebastian on a dreamland tour to explain human history and the new future Rize or Die has planned. Sebastian, it would seem, is only the latest man in many generations to have his life steered and destroyed by Tyler. The writers of Write Klub are no help whatsoever.
Hahaha what the everloving fuck happened here?
>>
>>28246848
I think he's right in a sense. If you hate who you are, stop being that. The fastest way to change is destroying what you are, and then building something from the ashes.
>>
>>28251290
Hell if I know. The lack of greentext even made me think you were just writing random nonsensical stuff. I started reading the comic, by the way. Looks pretty bad to be honest, but I'll give it a chance.

hellocomic com/fight-club-2/c1/p1
>>
>>28251347
Looks bad. I'll pass, thanks for sharing though anon, have a good night buddy :)
>>
>>28250304
>no such thing as universal truth
>see: theology

You pleb
>>
>le epic contrarian
>muh fight club is bad XD
>>
>>28252017
Everytime bro
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.