[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career-wise robot here. 24 y/o Went to Uni 4 years Got ASA, MAAA,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
Career-wise robot here.
24 y/o
Went to Uni 4 years
Got ASA, MAAA, MSPA actuarial exams
Make 110k a year as retirement actuary

AMA
>>
>>28245503
>retirement actuary
this sounds like it might literally be the most boring job in the world

I hope you enjoy what you do anon
>>
>>28245503

Is actuary work even more soul-sucking than accounting?
>>
>>28245570
>>28245580
It's soul sucking.
It's boring.

But when i get a massive check at the end of the two weeks, it's pretty amazing, especially since I'm 24 and probably gonna make around 200k within the next 20 years
>>
>>28245628
>probably gonna make around 200k within the next 20 years
wtf, what kinda accountants make this much money?

is actuary work actually that lucrative, I've never heard of this
>>
>>28245775
actuary, not accountant, senpai. It's boring ass work with a shitload of mathematics. No one wants to do it and most aren't qualified. There are probably 3 actuaries total in my entire company
>>
Gonna need proof, before you gobany longer
>>
>>28245503
>110k a year
my dad makes this

whatever you do, dont get married or have kids - my family is poor as fuck because of that single income supporting 4 people
>>
>>28245628
Which was your hardest class in College? Which one was most fun? Is it what you expected when you went in?
>>
>>28245503
Did you major in actuarial sciences or something else?
>>
What kind of math do you use on a day to day basis?
>>
>>28245961

Always read most people major in statistics
>>
>>28246021
Cool, I'm majoring in Econ and Statistics so I can keep my options open :^)
>>
>>28245961
I majored in Mathematics and minored in statistics
>>
>>28245503

Can you explain in detail what exactly you do as an actuary? My dad is one and I never got a good explanation from him for what he does. And when I try looking up information about it online it doesn't make it any clearer.
>>
>>28246066
i did a math major also, and have done the first two actuarial exams and no internships. You think I could actually get an actuarial job?
>>
>>28246106
Nobody REALLY knows.
>>
>>28245878
no.
>>28245917
probably Abstract Algebra. Not fun.
>>
>>28245991
Definitely sophisticated statistics
>>
>>28246106
There are different types of actuaries senpai. As a retirement actuary I pretty much do all the math for retirement plans based on income, time worked there, etc. for different companies. Insurance actuaries do math for claims and shit, dont know much about it
>>
>>28246144
when you become an ASA, you have to sign a paper saying you will never disclose what an actuary actually does. I mean come on, ASA means Associate of the Society of Actuaries, it even sounds like a cult
>>
>>28246239
>do all the math for retirement plans based on income, time worked there, etc
is there really that much math? isnt it just plugging shit into formulas?
>>
>>28246299
shh lemme keep my salary

It really is a lot of math because each person is unique so the functions and formulas made have to be very specific. I also have to explain shit to clients, but I pretty much pretend to understand it when I explain it to them. If it were just plugging it into formulas I wouldn't have a job and companies would just use the same formulas all the time
>>
>>28246339
>>28246141
pls respond family
>>
How did you get your first job?
>>
>>28246756
shit, thought I did.
probably, not a 110k starting job :^) humblebrag master here btw

but yeah, ASA will get you on SOA's radar, go for the MAAA if you want to be sure
>>
>>28246774
once you pass the ASA test, which makes you an "Associate of the Society of Actuaries", you're on the SOA's radar and recruiters will come to you and you can find them. Just went through different recruiters and found a comfy job
>>
>>28246940
>ASA
so you did all the exams before you got your first job?
>>
>>28246921
>probably, not a 110k starting job
wait what was your GPA and internships and shit? did you have connections or something?

that's pretty amazing for a starting salary mate
>>
>>28247618
no internships, just had a bunch of money saved to take the exams
>>28247515
ik most people take the extra exams while employed as an actuary but I just saved money to take them on my money instead of the companies.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.