[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any technical writers here? Job sounds interesting enough. How is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1457311420857.png (52 KB, 826x862) Image search: [Google]
1457311420857.png
52 KB, 826x862
Any technical writers here? Job sounds interesting enough. How is it?
>>
I know one. His position involves little social interaction aside from emails
>>
>>28234514
Do you happen to know how he got the job, like what he majored in?
>>
>>28234594
He got some associate degree, worked in some company for a long time and is now working at the same company I am working at. I've been working at this company a littles less than a year.
>>
>>28234594
>majored in?
Forgot to mention I don't. I have a feeling it's humanities related. But he does have pretty good technical knowledge like Photoshop, css, HTML, etc.
>>
>>28234691
Humanities?
Like history, english, etc?
>>
>>28234726
Yeah. That kind of degree. Degrees don't really matter, but it's harder to get a job that is unrelated to your degree because employers have a preference. But it's still possible. I know several people who are working jobs that are unrelated to their degree.
>>
>>28236277
thanks for the input senpai
>>
>>28236289
This thread was good and I wanted to bump it immediately because it was on the brink of deletion. I often browse the back of the catalog and do that.
>>
File: 153.gif (90 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
153.gif
90 KB, 300x100
>>28234189
>help i accidentally ate gluten
>>
>>28234857
>working jobs that are unrelated to their degree.

I can't help but kek whenever I hear this. Like why did you bother spending so many years learning useless shit if the chance of you getting a job using it was that slim? I literally went to school for Technical Writing and here I am working in it.
>>
>>28236930
>I literally went to school for Technical Writing
Serious? Was it hard to find a job? What did you major in?
>>
>>28234514
I know people here love jobs that let you sit in a hole for 8 hours and get paid, but tech writing may not be the job for that. I have daily meetings and other meetings on the side. you guys would be looking for IT or programming. The programmer guys I meet are definitely the socially awkward type. never come to the employee parties, never say hi, etc.

>>28234189
it's ok. boring sometimes. but music and podcasts can help with that.
>>
>>28236988
you know what's funny? I got a job fairly quickly given the fact that I only sent out about 5-10 applications per month. I wasn't really putting that much effort into looking. I wanted to be an online freelance writer. sometimes I still wish I stayed with it. then this just landed into my lap. And what helped the most was the fact that my manager went to the same school as me. So there you go. Anyone who doesn't pay attention and gets into a field that they didn't study for is an idiot. It's one thing if you can't find a job, but it's another thing if you are just too lazy to look into something profitable.
>>
>>28236988
just incase I'm not around, you can email me anytime, man. [email protected]
>>
>>28237114
>>28237136
Thanks.
But what I still don't know is how I can get a degree that would make me more desirable for the position. English? History? Journalism?
>>
Present

I majored in philosophy so had plenty of experience with structured, dry writing. I've also always been good at explaining things in easy to understand ways, and enjoy doing so.

>>28236990
>I know people here love jobs that let you sit in a hole for 8 hours and get paid, but tech writing may not be the job for that.

This. Technical writers have to work with engineers and others on the product/development side and be able to understand what they're talking about, so you can then translate their gobbly-gook into language a normal dumbass person can understand. So communicating frequently with others is fairly important, at least in my experience.
>>
>>28234594

Sounds like a communications degree would be good for this job. You get to learn things like HTML, CSS, Adobe suite, use of design and symbols and stuff like that.
>>
File: 220px-LuvOb1.jpg (23 KB, 220x325) Image search: [Google]
220px-LuvOb1.jpg
23 KB, 220x325
>>28234189
If you'd like an accurate depiction of what the job is like watch the movie "Love Object"
>>
>>28237214
As I said earlier, I literally went for a Technical Writing degree. at my school they called it Professional Communications. What I wish I did was take a minor in computer science. you can also take a minor in whatever other field that you wanna do tech writing for. doesn't have to be software, but I think it's the easiest to get into. I didn't have time for a minor, so I just took html, C++ 101, and that's all. I don't really use it at my job.

What I suggest you do is go to the Society of Technical Communication website and look at the list of recommended schools. Makes things easier rather than trying to guess what you might need. Just go to one of them.
>>
>>28238476
The best thing you can also do is hire a mentor that you can talk to. you can also do that on the site. don't bother doing it all by yourself. why do that when you can speak to someone who's already doing exactly what you want to do?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.