[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do normies make assertive philosophical statements without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: kek.jpg (47 KB, 502x311) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
47 KB, 502x311
Why do normies make assertive philosophical statements without having read the works of at least 10 major philosophers? They are always posting their Drake quotes about life and other disgusting meme shit that doesn't warrant any respectable attention. They then proceed to circlejerk and discuss something that they have clearly not taken the time to explore. There is a whole vast array of philosophy yet they do not seek to learn from gentlemen that have dedicated their lives to such pursuits. When will they learn?
>>
>>28225439
Everybody spot the sophomore Phil major who thinks he's hot shit

Enjoy getting BTFO next year
>>
>>28225900

I'm not even a philosophy major. Weak attempt.
>>
You're so bitter
>>
>>28226095
Fuck off normie shit from the board.
>>
>>28226095
>toasty roastie detected
Why do brainless sluts come to this board?
>>
>>28226085
>not even studying philosophy
And what makes you think your opinion is worth considering again?
>>
Philosophy is just a circlejerk in and of itself. It's all just different takes on the same meaningless questions.
You really aren't any better than the normies you criticize. You've just read more bullshit.
>>
>>28225900
>>28226095
Its true though.

Normies are obsessed with inebriating themselves with anything they can as to avoid and dismiss reality.

This is why they like alcohol, drugs, and positivity, anything negative or that has to deal with the real world is dismissed by using the former.

Their primary motive is emotion, not truth.

Drake is a niggerjew so some of the jewish intelligence comes out in these "feel good" statements but to the refined mind are pretty shallow upon examination.
>>
>>28226396
This is true. However teenage girls, Jaden Smith and Drake tend to philosophize about even more meaningless questions than Philosophers.
>>
>>28225439
dunning-kreuger mostly. meaningless platitudes and non-answers to life's questions are the only things that keep normies in the matrix
>>
>>28226397
there's a massive thread up right now about abusing drugs to hide your feelings. It's a robot thing too. (or you're all normies too)

(or we're all just human)
>>
>>28225439
>without having read the works of at least 10 major philosophers

How's this for philosophy: Argument from authority.
>>
>implying someone who has read about philosophy is going to have any more understanding of life than someone who hasn't

All you get is someone who can talk about philosophy in a canonical way.

It's not about reading something and agreeing with it. That might be helpful for some, but the aim is to understand life- NOT its description. Most people are probably better off having read nothing at all to achieve this.
>>
>>28226498
Id like to think the robot use of drugs is a reactive measure as opposed to proactive.

Normies use drugs despite having plenty of friends and sexual partners while robots don't.
>>
Dunno. I'm not so bothered about the picture.

I'm much more bothered by people who keep perpetuating nonsense like 'we support a humanitarian cause!' (generalized) and think it's some kind of bold statement.
They appeal to peer pressure rather than anything else.

I consider them directly opposed democracy.
>>
>>28225439
I'm more curious as to why people make statements they clearly think are profound, but fall apart under the slightest bit of scrutiny. Drake's quote is fucking meaningless. The only thing the journey can teach you about the destination is how far the destination is.
>>
>>28226594
>The only thing the journey can teach you about the destination is how far the destination is.

That's wrong though. If that were true, then The Lord of the Rings and the hobbit both could have been written in five pages. If the journey didn't matter then you could have written "Frodo took a ring somewhere very far away, but don't worry about how."
>>
>>28226396
Disagree. I'm sure you can find terrible philosophy anywhere. But it's more an exercise in rational thinking most of the time.

I do find rhetoric a much more interesting subject though. It's more useful as well.
>>
>>28226655
The journey didn't teach them shit about the destination, though. They already knew Mordor was a shithole prior to setting out.
>>
>>28225439
Normalfags are fucking stupid and ignorant: news at 11
>>
>>28226594
The point was rather that the time spent with a goal helps you consider the goal.
It's very weak. 'Have an interest in stuff and you will learn'.
>>
>>28226396
OP sounds very pretentious but philosophy is important because it is different takes on the same questions. It gives you a variety of takes. Compare Schopenhauer's ideas to Spinoza's and you'll see different ways to answer life's questions.
>>
>>28226655
No, that poster isn't saying that the journey is meaningless. He's saying that drake's quote doesn't really make sense. The journey is meaningful obviously, but the journey doesn't teach you anything about the destination (?) that you didn't already know.

I don't really see the point of posting something dumb like that anyway. 20 year old Sarah posts this dramatically-lit emotional picture of drake with this weird ass quote on it. Why? 20 year old college student Sarah who gets fingered every 4 weeks isn't going to do anything with this strange "life lesson." What is she going to do with this knowledge that "the journey teaches you a lot about your destination." 20 year old Sarah doesn't have any journeys. She barely even shows up to class half of the time.

It's a lot like "virtue signaling" if you're familiar with that term. But it's like "intellect signaling" instead, except the people posting these things are actually stupid anti-intellectuals.
>>
>>28226750
>the journey doesn't teach you anything about the destination you didn't already know
Interesting. So you reject philosophy entirely.
>>
>>28226750
To 20 yr. old Sarah, getting fucked is the journey. To her, getting fucked prepares for her to marry some helpless Cuck. She thinks fucking these guys and being in relationships prepares her for marriage so in her mind, this quote makes sense and gives pardon to her degeneracy.
>>
>>28226533
so maybe their philosophies are worth more for a better lifestyle regardless of vices.

what is even your point? that it's better to read some outdated philosophers observations than to have friends? you know this is the only life you get right? you're literally spending time complaining that somebody out there somewhere quotes a successful pop culture icon instead of your memes.
>>
The image in the op strikes me as another way of saying "Stop and smell the roses."

Everyone here is freaking out thinking this is supposed to be some 2deep4me musing, but all he's trying to say is to focus on the journey, not the destination. You don't need to read 10 philosophers to understand that
>>
>>28226808
>you reject philosophy entirely.
....what?
>>
>>28227056
Take a piece of information. Consider it in association to other information. Likely you have more information now.
That's philosophy.
>>
>>28227114
... how did I reject that?
>>
>>28227159
A journey is at least a passing of time. Depends of course on how you view it. If it's a physical journey there no guarantee at all that you gain anything. But it's obviously a metaphorical journey.

Implication is that the Destination is your focus in some form. So it's being considered. Can very well help you understand quite a bit.
>>
>>28225439
You sound like a pretentious, pseudo-intellectual faggot. The fact that you have read philosophers says nothing about your competence when it comes to philosophical thought. The fact that you think you have to read the works of major philosophers in order to be competent at philosophy shows how incompetent you are at it.

When I was ten I thought about the universe while lying awake at night, I had just learned that the religion I was raised with, Catholicism, might be wrong. So I thought about what happened after you died. And I thought 'well, even if my consciousness is restricted to this exact state of physical conditions, if the universe goes on for infinity, I'll just exist again and live the same life.' Thus, without having had ANY exposure to Nietzsche, I had conceived of eternal return independently.

Similarly, when I was twelve, and still young enough to be as much of a sanctimonious fuckstain as you're being now, I walked around thinking I was the next stage of human evolution: Another Nietzschean concept.
>>
>>28226397

>This is why they like alcohol, drugs, and positivity, anything negative or that has to deal with the real world is dismissed by using the former.

but they do deal with negativity in the real world. thats why theyre normies, successfull normies with jobs. and your a shut in who's afraid of social interaction.
>>
>>28227269

let us know when you expand those ideas PLEB
>>
>>28225439
Tons of people have those same ideas originally by themselves, the major philosophers were just the first with the means to put them into writing and circlejerk over them. If you read philosophy and constantly find yourself thinking "oh wow I never thought about it like this before" you're probably just a dumb normie with no hobbies or self awareness.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.