[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
guys, what the fuck happens after we die? like do we just cease
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9
File: 4G8cua5Y_400x400.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
4G8cua5Y_400x400.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
guys, what the fuck happens after we die?

like do we just cease to exist? feel nothing, for eternity, it's over, we are gone, just like before we were born?

holy fuck this is horrifying

non existence, just void, plain nothingness

why did I have to be born? Why do I feel alive in this body, why do I feel pain, why do I FEEL... why am I not in YOUR body or some other body... why even exist in the first place

WHAT THE FUCK BROS

WHY DO THINGS EXIST
>>
>>28220808
We become a part of the eternal chaos.
>>
after an unfathomable amount of time the exact atoms that compose (you) should reconstruct exactly as they are now

just don't think about how long that will take.
>>
Who knows. Try to chill tho.
>>
>do we just cease to exist
More than likely. Welcome to babby's first existential crisis.
>>
>>28220808
I blacked out from drinking once, and I went from feeling feeling feeling to nothing, just blackness. I couldn't feel any sensation for like 7 hours and don't even remember what happened. Just an instant cut to black with nothing left. I imagine it's like that, except you don't wake up the next day with blood all over your face and puke on your legs.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 600x450
It sucks that your brain becomes sad when alone, encouraging you to not be alone. But it's impossible to convince your brain you are a creepy loser that can't do that.
>>
>>28220849
>what is entropy
>>
>>28220808
It's the same as before you were born.

Was that experience in the void of nothingness then so horrifying? No, because you don't even remember it. It's like fucking sleeping, dude.
>>
>>28220849
what would happen if you cloned your brain so that there are two identical brains in existence at once?
>>
it feels like how you felt before you were born.
nothing.
an absolute empty void.
>>
this is why I have no motivation in life. nothing matters, least of all working my ass off and shortening my lifespan for no good reason. this life is all I got, I'm not going to spend it in wagecuckery
>>
>>28220862
I'm a schzoid and I'm the opposite.

My brain is happy when alone and encourages me to be alone but I know I have to make some kind of contact with people if I want to survive.

I could be alone with a computer for a lifetime
>>
>>28220808
I want to believe that I'll get reincarnated as another person, preferably of my choosing so I don't end up in a worse position. If I do then I'm gonna be a rich white girl with a rocking body.
>>
>>28220935
but does reincarnation matter if you don't get to remember your previous life?
>>
>>28220947
yeah, if you believe in karma as well
>>
>>28220947
Why would I care about my previous life? It doesn't matter anymore.
>>
File: Gadget-Hackwrench-religion4.jpg (23 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
Gadget-Hackwrench-religion4.jpg
23 KB, 550x413
>tfw believed in god and christianity as a kid
>tfw I never had any fears or worries
>fastforward to today
I would do anything to believe in god again.
>>
I wish I was never born too

but who can prove I am alive at the moment, maybe this is what death feels like
>>
>>28220808
The concept of the end of conscience is so hard for us to understand because we are that very same conscience. We are nothing more than the collection of impulses and sensations that form the electrical currents in our brains (or the other way around if you prefer). Either way, no one exists on purpose, everyone is going to die and there is no meaning. Come watch 4chan.
>>
>>28220996
Join C'thulu, you can be reborn.
>>
>>28220929
How do I become schizoid
>>
I like the believe in the idea of eternal return where you just live the exact same life over and over again forever. That means I can continue to shitpost on this board for eternity.
>>
That made a really good rap in my head

but I'm drunk and suicidal
>>
>>28220996
>ywn believe you were made by God, special to him, and all other believers are your family ever again
>>
>>28221138
It hurts more than you know. Probably going to go to church with my family this sunday just to see if I feel even the slightest bit of anything.

It hasn't worked yet though
>>
>>28221178
It hurts me too.

>I loved God more than anything
>church became my home
>felt like I belonged with there
>had a lot of memories with them
>would go twice a week, plus extra activities
>later God stopped being real
>I cried because my world was over
>my "family" was no longer my family
>I was alone, hopeless, with no way to connect with others

nearly ten years ago. wish I'd just died then.
>>
>>28221354
Fuck you're basically me. I never had any worries because I had the thought "who cares im going to heaven" always in my mind. Knowing that this is probably all we get is so fucking depressing. I want to believe.
>>
>>28221095
no idea
. im just like this naturally

oregano
>>
>>28220808
>what the fuck happens after we die?
nothing
> why do I FEEL
otherwise life would be boring
>>
>>28221095
give up on people
>>
>>28221178
>>28221354
>>28221463
you should stop worrying about the future and live in the moment.
>>
>>28221463
It's that but also I used to think I had things figured out. The only time I had courage was when I felt like I was giving others truth. Now, I have no concept of truth, no ability to help. Light is gone and I can't find my way in the darkness.
>>
>>28220808
Nobody knows. Do you know what it was like before you were born. It's probably like that but I guess we'll find out when we get there or feel nothing at all.
>>
Dying is like going to sleep and never waking up. Yes, it's horrifying
>>
>>28220808
Not even a "void". Being "in a void" implies that you are still experiencing anything. True nonexistence means an end to the suffering you seem to be feeling, so there's nothing to be afraid of.
>>
>>28221840
No it isn't you fucking pussy.

It's comforting.
>>
>>28221840
i don't understand how that's horrifying
>>
>>28221728
I understand that completely actually. That thought of everything being okay because god has a plan for you is so comforting.
>>
File: 78700204[1].jpg (47 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
78700204[1].jpg
47 KB, 499x499
>>28221095
Evidence suggests you can't become a schizoid if you weren't born that way. Sucks for you, non-schizoid!
>>
>>28220849
Deep thought brah
>>
>>28220808
I got put down with anesthesia for an hour during surgery. It was just existing one moment and absolutely nothing the next. I imagine its like that
>>
File: escher_dragon.jpg (105 KB, 670x890) Image search: [Google]
escher_dragon.jpg
105 KB, 670x890
>>28220808

No one fucking knows, robot-bro.

Honestly, finding "what will I experience after death?" was my life goal for years.

Scientists don't know.

Neuroscientists know how a neuron cell works, and know that when neurons stop brain function also stops, but no one understands the details yet.

Anesthesiologists know that drugs can make people unconscious.

Spiritual people feel amazing things, but there's no way to tell if these things are real. Prayer appears not to work. Spiritual powers appear not to work. (If they worked, all CEOs would be hippie wizards.)

Philosophers don't know. Mathematicians have to start from axioms that they assume are true without proof. Most philosophers are only sure that they are aware of existing at this moment (some aren't even sure of that!).

I can take guesses about "why", but it's all based on memes and insanity. I guess it's possible that my thoughts create reality, but then I have serious issues and even less safety than if everything runs on math.

About a year ago I decided "Fuck it!" and signed up for cryonic preservation. This way, I get to live for a really long time and someone else will find the answer if it's findable.

So: I'd recommend you sign up for cryonic freezing and then quit worrying about these un-answerable questions.

Also, "Quantum Immortality" is a theory you'll like. There are many possible Universes, including some in which you live forever (e.g. ones where someone invents an aging cure tomorrow). As an "Observer", you choose randomly from possible outcomes. However, from your perspective, you can only observe outcomes in which you survive. Therefore, from your perspective, you will never die.

Hope that helps. Personally I think it's all a simulation, and that part of the simulation is suppressing my knowledge of this. Hopefully it's the right thing to be spending my time doing, but it's not like I can do anything else.

Let me know if you figure it out. Use meme magic to contact me.
>>
I'm glad that it will eventually be over.

Dust to dust.
>>
>>28221134
For me that would be a terrible punishment.
>>
>>28220895

I hope to live long enough to clone my brain. Specifically, I want to become an all-powerful hive-mind by cloning my brain an uncountable number of times, mentally linking up my brain and the clone brains as I go.
>>
>>28221095

take a lot of datura.

pro tip: have a trip sitter tie you up first. use a full-body restraint (backboard with velcro straps and head support) that's safe for long-term use.
>>
>>28221893

I know it's /r9k/ but not all of us are suicidal.

#notallrobots
>>
I grew up in a Catholic family with the whole god thing.

I do not miss it and if I maintained consciousness after death... I would find a way to commit spiritual suicide...
>>
>>28220883
Yeah for real senpai that guy is a bozo
>>
>>28221138
It was comforting but now I don't pray for divine forgiveness after I jerk off
>>
>>28220808

Doesn't matter, having sexts.
>>
>>28222221

OFF BY 1! JUST LIKE MY LOVE LIFE!!!!!!
>>
>>28220808
you think because of evolution. You will cease to think when your body shuts down. Look at it from a logical standpoint. When your body stops working, your mind will stop working. There is no spirit that is doing all this thinking for you, it's not gonna adopt your personality when you die and send your...soul somewhere. Some people just don't want to Beilive that that's it, but
, that's it. You won't be concious. It's that simple. It's hard to imagine what not thinking would be like, not existing, but just use logic.
>>
>>28220808
It's literally the greatest thing on earth
It means that you have zero fucking responsibility for anything that happens. You can do anything and it won't matter because when you die, all of that permanently disappears. The only thing that ties humans down is the fact that we have emotions, like love and compassion.
This is what inspired me to start vagabonding because I know that whatever I do doesn't matter because I can just chill and then die. Dying itself might physical be scary but afterwards it's all good.
So go out and kill a ton of people in a mass shooting or OD on heroin one night, or spend all your money and become a fucking circus clown. It doesn't even matter at all and that's without considering the enormous scale of the universe.
>>
Yes, something happens. Nothing is impossible, or else you wouldn't be here in the first place. It's that black and white.

Let me explain something, which can be learned from Schrodinger or ancient Indian people he learned it from, consciousness is the most fundamental thing in existence, it is existence.

Atoms only exist within the conscious person. This seems obvious, how were they discovered? Through experiments consucted in which the subjective conscious experiences from the senses led to internally consistent conclusions about the nature of other parts of the conscious self.

People put the cart before the course in asserting that without the brain, there can be no consciousness when it is only through consciousness that the brain exists in the first place.

When you die, you will find yourself with a new brain and the transition will be as smooth as when you first came to consciousness in this life, which you don't even remember.
>>
>>28221907
It was everything to me.

"My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life."
>>
>>28220808
Do you remember what it was like before you were born or conceived? No?

It's like that.
>>
The thought of dying doesnt bother me so much because i wont care that im dead when i die. It almost be worse to go to heaven and still be the same autistic shit.
>>
>>28222305

Bro, use your logic. Your consciousness stays the same even as all of the matter in your body is replaced. This implies your consciousness exists independently of your body. It gets weirder: electrons are literally indistinguishable. You are a mathematical abstraction...only information. You don't actually exist.
>>
>>28222344
Dafuq?

Consciousness is a tool used by our dna to enhance survival and reproductive success.

Sorry to rain on your parade but we are simply survival vessels used by microorganisms. This isn't our show
>>
>>28220808
>like do we just cease to exist? feel nothing, for eternity, it's over, we are gone, just like before we were born?
>holy fuck this is horrifying
>non existence, just void, plain nothingness

Actually you won't feel anything. With the brain dead, there is no feel anymore. So there will be no "blackness".
>>
>>28221979
>somewhere out there is a universe in which the supreme gentleman won the lottery and never killed himself
>>
>babby's first existential crisis

lol
>>
>>28222464
I'm referring to the sum of subjective experiences as your consciousness, not the models that describe how the brain works and so the actual working of the brain.

The actual subjective conscious self can't be accounted for by anything else, by definition.

Its sort of the while is greater than the sum of its parts type of thing

I don't see how this isn't obvious to anyone else aside from them being prejudiced because they ironically seek to avoid being egotistical in their reasoning yet to draw conclusions like that is egotistical in itself as it assumes there is some special reason why you have to be careful to do so in the first place.
>>
>>28222221
Off by one dot jpeg
>>
>>28220808
>babbys first existential crisis thread
HERE WE GO AGAIN!
>>
>>28220808
>guys, what the fuck happens after we die?
>like do we just cease to exist? feel nothing
yeah, it's taking a break from whatever work you put in. if you could live forever right now you would go insane because of suffering, depression, etc.

it'll be possible to bring people back to life and change people/the universe so things don't die anymore one die, probably with the help of artificial intelligence and an unimaginably powerful supercomputer.
>>
>>28222344
>When you die, you will find yourself with a new brain
see, this is bad information that leads to people being depressed. they end up thinking that taking drugs and being a buddhist hippy is the best thing you can do.

kurt cobain thought the same thing, and look how he turned out.

you don't magically become something else when you die, your brain is shutting off and you're blacking out. science and technology will bring people back from the dead and elevate our consciousness, not death.

stop telling people that dying is a good thing, it's insanity.
>>
File: 1458299217269.jpg (139 KB, 727x768) Image search: [Google]
1458299217269.jpg
139 KB, 727x768
>>28222362
>you were born just in time to see religion be exposed as a sham and be sentenced to unhappiness
>>
>>28222317
Well that sounds great
>>
>>28222317
>It's literally the greatest thing on earth. It means that you have zero fucking responsibility for anything that happens. You can do anything and it won't matter because when you die, all of that permanently disappears. So go out and kill a ton of people in a mass shooting
>science advances to the point where you can bring people back to life
>"you went on a shooting spree because you didn't know the truth, but we brought you back to life and made you immortal anyway because we forgive you. now go bond with the trillions of other people who were brought back too, and go talk to some animals or fly through the universe or something, have fun"
>"o-oh no what have i done"
idiot
>>
>>28221463
heaven doesn't exist right now, but it will in the future as long as science and technology keep advancing. we'll turn the universe into heaven.
>>
>>28223273
As long as my consciousness can be uploaded to a server and I can live my life in a holodeck I can die happy
>>
>>28220808
As you are dying your brain releases a massive overdose of DMT. The perception of time approaches zero. You trip balls for eternity.
>>
>>28224904
>You trip balls for eternity.
except you don't perceive anything once your brain dies, so you might trip for a while then nothing. science and technology will bring back the dead, stop hoping dying is a good thing. it's just a break from suffering.
>>
I think we can all live with this, how is this bad no more responsbility just enjoying the ride
>>
>>28220849
>start thinking about this
>the universe is infinite
>even if the universe explodes it'll come back again somehow just as our's presumably has an unfathomable number of times
>realize even once i cease to exist i'll be able to return eventually
>even if it takes forever i'll die and be reborn in what'll seem like an insant
>i've probably done this an infinite number of times since the beginning of everything
>next time i'll just start over from the beginning exposed to a whole new set of stimuli
>may not even realize this fact next time i'm in existence
>may have realized this before
>suddenly comft with death because i'll just essentially respawn
>>
>>28227541
>I don't understand physics: the post
>>
A lot of people seem to envision death as being locked in a dark silent room for eternity

but with no sense organs or intellect to process it, this is an impossibility

I believe basic awareness, not "us" as individuals, will manifest in a new reality with no memory of any former "realities", and the cycle continues eternally
>>
>>28220808
I like the enter the void theory
>>
>>28227944
What a fucking weird movie. I couldn't even finish it.
>>
>>28220808
Don't be sad OP
We all have a time to go. One day, all of our brains will cease to function
Our bodies will decompose, your atoms becoming indistinguishable from the others
Your atoms may one day make up a tree or even another person
It all goes on. Take solace in the fact that no matter what you do, you cannot mess up this process
No matter how much of a failure you are, you will still be like everyone else in a hundred years, separate atoms part of something else
>>
File: Blew_my_mind.jpg (95 KB, 736x493) Image search: [Google]
Blew_my_mind.jpg
95 KB, 736x493
You get reborn again as a little screaming child to continue the incessant cycle because we keep fucking procreating like the disgusting bugs we are
>>
File: Motivational.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2000) Image search: [Google]
Motivational.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2000
>>28227889
Doesn't matter.
Sure everything can be perpetually thrown into chaos, seemingly never falling back into order in our enclosed/open/whatever-the-fuck universe but you can't fucking deny that there's chance and even luck involved in our existence.
There's always a chance that with dice you'll roll snake eyes twice, although not always in a row, you will inevitably get them again.
>>
>>28228078
So what happened here? Just a violent car accident?
>>
>>28228078
It's what happens when you love something.

Or when you try to succeed.
>>
>>28228078
wish it was me instead desu
>>
>>28220808
Got over my fear of death when I found ways to occupy myself and focused on my studies. One thing that helped was an interesting post saying technically we could eventually be ourselves again since all matter is reused or some shit.
>>
>>28220808
Whenever something really bad happens in my life I just think about the fact that i'm gonna be dead one day so none of this stupid shit matters at all in this life, makes me feel a lot better.
>>
>>28220808
Well, if it helps a little bit, I had a sleep paralysis experience where I could feel jack shit, mentally or physically, I literally couldn't think for a minute there, and I guarantee you it was the most awesome experience I ever had.
>>
>>28220808
I don't know, the people in my life that have died haven't gotten back to me on that yet.
>>
>>28220808
Life giveth

Life taketh away

Stop thinking about it.
Just become an existential nihilist like the rest of us and use your time to consume content.
>>
>>28227988
the ending makes it worthwhile
>>
File: blini kot.jpg (97 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
blini kot.jpg
97 KB, 800x800
>>28227541
But actually after all the stars die and the whole universe is bathed in perpetual darkness, every atom will be flying farther and farther away from each other, never to touch again, ever. Getting farther and father away from each other as the infinite emptiness continues forever.
>>
>>28228078

Since there is no difference between death and reincarnation yeah i guess we are.

When you die you lose all your memories (The things that make you (YOU))

When you are reincarnated you lose all your memories and are reborn

Reincarnation would be bullshit and you wouldnt even know.
>>
>>28228593
But eventually

Note the word eventually, time is infinite to our knowledge.

Eventually, the set of events will trigger for you to not only come back, but maybe even continue.
>>
Uhh, ceasing to exist is not the same as feeling nothingness.

You won't even understand nothingness since you have nothing to understand nothingness with. No mind.

What if time didn't exist? You literally won't be able to understand that shit. That's what ceasing to exist is like.

It's really damn complicated to think about, and it's scary. Honestly though, that's just your survival instinct kicking in just like fapping to make your body think you're having sex.

Don't worry. If you wanna feel nothingness, go in a dark room, and meditate on nothingness while doing hallucinogens.
>>
>>28220808
>be fetus
>develop as the months pass by
>move around and flail in a cramped space
>tfw you get initiated into life with a slap or two in the butt until they could get you to feel pain
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.